[Bug][P][✓] Frames with no text have typing sounds

All discussions regarding the AAOv6 Beta, be it bug reports or suggestions, should be posted in this section.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

GanonZD
Spoken languages: English, Danish, German, a tiny bit French

[Bug][P][✓] Frames with no text have typing sounds

Post by GanonZD »

This is probably a bug in V5 rather than in V6, but it may have unfortunate results because the conversion algorithm does not take it into account. ;-)

When V5 finds a frame that only contains [#]s and spaces, it plays no typing sound. This is most likely not because it ignores the spaces; instead, the lacking sounds are probably a result of the well-known delay that occurs before typing sounds in the V5 player. In V6, this bug has been corrected already: Compare this V5 trial with its V6 countarpart.

So why am I reporting this "bug", which has apparently already been corrected? Because people appear to have utilized this bug in V5 trials. For instance, try playing the intro to Turnabout Tomorrow in V5 and in V6, and notice how the typing sounds change the feeling a lot.

I think the best way to address this issue is to simply change the conversion algorithm. In fact, V6 handles everything much more logically than V5, so I don't think the actual player should be changed. ;-)
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Re: [Bug][P] Frames with no text have typing sounds

Post by Unas »

No, actually I prefer the V5 behaviour : I think that spaces are not meant to trigger a sound, to be honest. Because of the lag, I don't stop the sound each time a space appears, but... :-)

The thing is, V5 does a check beforehand to know if the frame will display any text, then displays textbox and enables sounds appropriately.
V6, on the contrary, does everything on the fly : textbox is displayed when first visible character is typed in; I should probably do something similar for the typing sound, though it requires a little more work. (the test for textbox display is a single line of CSS; the test for sound playing will require some Javascript)
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
GanonZD
Spoken languages: English, Danish, German, a tiny bit French

Post by GanonZD »

Preferring the perfect solution to the easy one? :-)

Well, that's probably what makes AAO so great. :-D
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

Turnabout Tomorrow still has this bug, which causes about fifteen random text blips to appear in the pre-loader. Are there still plans to "do something similar for the typing sound" to fix this?
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

This should be fixed now - typing sound starts playing on the first non-space character typed on a frame.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )