[✗] How is development going?

All discussions regarding the AAOv6 Beta, be it bug reports or suggestions, should be posted in this section.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

A.A. Noire
Spoken languages: English

[✗] How is development going?

Post by A.A. Noire »

I am asking merely out of curiosity and excitement, so I hope you will not find my question annoying. ;-)

How is version 6 development progressing? What is being worked on? What is still missing to be done? Do you have an estimate about when it might be finished? :-)
Meph

Re: How is development going?

Post by Meph »

It isn't.

Sorry. Just kidding. :P

There's a bit of work still going on. Unas is still slowly working on the Trials Manager.
A.A. Noire

Post by A.A. Noire »

OMG CAN'T BELIEVE IT CHEATED BY MEPH! *hitting the screen*

:P

So, is it too early to give estimates about release? :-)
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

Well, whenever I've given estimates they've always been wrong, so it's kinda difficult xD

But the basic trial manager should join the V6 beta - making it almost fully usable - in the next few weeks; probably about a month.
Once it's done, I'll probably go back to just fixing bugs, implementing last missing features and and polishing according to your feedback for a few weeks again. And when I'm convinced it's stable enough, I'll then make V6 apps the default on AAO, being the actual official V6.0 release :-)

By the way, I'm talking about a trial manager providing roughly the same functions as the V5 manager; all the shiny new stuff Meph and I had thought about will come later, since it will require an important change of the site's database.
Indeed, the current V6 beta and the V6.0 first release work using the V5 database format, so I can make V6 beta and V5 work in parallel, and I'll be able to migrate to V6.0 very easily. But that means I'm limited roughly to the features that were in the V5 manager.
For V6.1, which should introduce new features regarding trial management and metadata, I will first have to redesign the database and work carefully on a DB migration process, which will be a little longer.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
GanonZD
Spoken languages: English, Danish, German, a tiny bit French

Re: [✗] How is development going?

Post by GanonZD »

So, do you have any updates regarding development? :-)
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
Meph

Post by Meph »

No progress at all, lately. :)
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Yeah, sorry about that - I've done absolutely nothing for 6 weeks or so :-/
Damn me for suddenly having a life, it was simpler when I didn't have one xD

Anyway, as I had said in my previous post in this topic, I had a manager almost ready. Well, I've just uploaded it, you can access it here :
http://aceattorney.sparklin.org/V6_Test/manager.php

For the moment, it only enables you to edit the title, language, release status and collaborators of a trial (though so far the "add collaborator" part is ugly since it requires inputting the member's ID; it'll be updated soon).
The ability to edit series will come later, and backup management will come even later. :-)

Also, Meph, you'll notice that you can now edit the collaborators for all english trials, which the old interface didn't allow you to do. ;-)
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Meph

Post by Meph »

Actually, I can't see anything at all. There's content on the games.php page, but not manager.php. :)
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Define "no content", please.
Is there an error message ? Is the page blank ? Do the headers appear properly but no trial is displayed ?

The manager should only list your trials and the ones you collaborate on.
To see all other trials, you have to use the Games tab like everyone.
However, for each trial that you have the right to edit, you get an edit button that will open it in the manager.
ImageImageImage
GanonZD

Post by GanonZD »

Earlier today, the page did not respond when I typed "manager.php"; I think I got a "request error" or the like. However, everything appears to work now. :-)
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

@Unas: By no content... He means the page is blank. Mine is like that as well. Here's a screenshot for you though:

If you're wondering why it just cuts out to grey below, there's nothing below that. Just more grey.

Might as well tell you what browser/all that jazz as well.
Browser: Firefox 20.0.1

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Thanks for the screenshot, kwando.
Weird that the page footer isn't even displayed - the page generation must really have crashed in the middle. I'll investigate this - this is a rather troublesome issue, isn't it ? :-D
ImageImageImage
Meph

Post by Meph »

Unas wrote:Define "no content", please.
Is there an error message ? Is the page blank ? Do the headers appear properly but no trial is displayed ?
I literally meant no content. There were no nodes in the DOM below the <h2> element. :P
GanonZD

Post by GanonZD »

This probably does not solve your problem, Meph, but allow me to suggest that you... clear your cache. :-P

In fact, I experienced errors in the manager until I did so, despite never having visited the page before (it didn't exist before after all).
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Meph wrote:
Unas wrote:Define "no content", please.
I literally meant no content. There were no nodes in the DOM below the <h2> element. :P
Well, that "below the h2 element" is the relevant information (though kwando's screenshot already made me aware of it), since it tells me appproximately at what step of the page computation the script was when it crashed. :)
ImageImageImage