[✗] How is development going?

All discussions regarding the AAOv6 Beta, be it bug reports or suggestions, should be posted in this section.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Re: [✗] How is development going?

Post by Unas »

Well, after some very tricky debugging, I've found and fixed the problem that prevented Meph from using the V6 manager.

kwando, you should try again as well - I hope your problem was the same and it all works now ! ^^
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Yup, it all works now.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
GanonZD
Spoken languages: English, Danish, German, a tiny bit French

Post by GanonZD »

I know this is just an alpha version, so you're probably aware of this, Unas, but there appears to be no link to the "manager.php" page from any of the other sections. So once you press "Games" or anything else, there's no going back; unless you write "manager.php" in the URL, that is.
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Yep, I know - I'll have to add it to the menu for logged in users. :-)
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
GanonZD

Post by GanonZD »

Any updates since the last time I asked? :-)
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
Meph
Spoken languages: English

Post by Meph »

None at all. :(
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Yeah, I'm rather discreet about that lately, right ? :-D
Meph, you should've seen that I've committed quite a lot of work lately, though :roll:

Anyway, the manager is mostly done now.
Meaning that it's got :
- Editing the metadata of existing trials (title, language, released status, collaborators)
- Editing existing trial sequences (move trials up or down, remove trials, add new trials)
- Creating new sequences
- Managing trial backups

You can already see the first two working at : http://aceattorney.sparklin.org/V6_Test/manager.php
I haven't updated the online preview since I've done the last two, though.
Anyway, only thing missing to be fully functional is creating new trials, and it should be done soon. I'll let you know once the manager is ready for proper use :-)

Regarding the player, I'm going to work on implementing a few missing actions (mainly the one to jump between trials of a same sequence) and game saves during August. (which does not imply that I'll be done by the end of August, mind you :-P)

Once that's done, I guess AAOv6 will be really ready for use, and enter a "Release Candidate" stage for final large scale testing ^^
ImageImageImage
GanonZD

Post by GanonZD »

Well, I can also think of a feature missing from the editor: The ability to move frames. :-P

Plus, there are still some unfixed bugs around. ;-)
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

GanonZD wrote:Well, I can also think of a feature missing from the editor: The ability to move frames. :-P
I know, I know, I just don't consider that a blocking feature - game saves are more urgent to me ;-)
Do you think it's a major feature though ?
I don't kno myself, I hardly ever wrote a trial so I never used it, and didn't figure it was used that much by people. Do you think it'd be a big regression to lose that ?

The idea is that given that I have a hard time finding enough time to work really seriously on AAO these last few months and the project is already almost 3 years old (!!), I'd rather focus on releasing something that works perfectly and has all basic features as soon as possible, even if I have to improve it by small steps afterwards :-)
ImageImageImage
energizerspark

Post by energizerspark »

So is it going to be like AAO V6, then V6.2, 6.34, 6.70, etc?
this signature has been left as it was when I left the forum for archival purposes
Currently watching:
Steven Universe
Currently playing:
Currently reading:
the avatar is from Urusei Yatsura in case you were wondering
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Something more like AAOv6 r562, r571, etc. Each "r" corresponds to a revision, that is a change to the code base that I considered worthy of saving.
And every now and then, I'd update the AAO public site to the latest revision, when I consider there are changes important enough to be brought to the public.

Though I don't know if I would show that revision number to the public anyway, it wouldn't mean much to you all xD
So for you it might just remain "AAOv6", even though it'll keep evolving with time.
ImageImageImage
energizerspark

Post by energizerspark »

Ah, so like Minecraft snapshots?
this signature has been left as it was when I left the forum for archival purposes
Currently watching:
Steven Universe
Currently playing:
Currently reading:
GanonZD

Post by GanonZD »

Unas wrote:
GanonZD wrote:Well, I can also think of a feature missing from the editor: The ability to move frames. :-P
I know, I know, I just don't consider that a blocking feature - game saves are more urgent to me ;-)
Do you think it's a major feature though ?
I don't kno myself, I hardly ever wrote a trial so I never used it, and didn't figure it was used that much by people. Do you think it'd be a big regression to lose that ?

The idea is that given that I have a hard time finding enough time to work really seriously on AAO these last few months and the project is already almost 3 years old (!!), I'd rather focus on releasing something that works perfectly and has all basic features as soon as possible, even if I have to improve it by small steps afterwards :-)
I'd say it's not a blocking feature, but one necessary before AAO can be considered feature-complete. True, right now it might be a bigger priority to get the actual product out soon. :-)

Then again, I know as much as you---I've never published anything either :-P. Sometimes I wonder why I'm so damn excited about V6 when I'll most likely never use the editor for anything serious anyway. :-P However, I do think it's a feature that people actually use; it's nice to be able to change the order of two CEs if you realize that everything comes in the wrong order. :-P

However, I see two ways to get a (temporary) fix to the problem that might advance the release of an actual product:
  • Make a less graphical solution that covers this need: Put an option somewhere saying "move frame" and show a dialogue box where you enter the frame number and its new position; these are then swapped by the editor, and everyone is happy. This should be a relatively easy feature to implement, or what do you think?
  • Ahem, it is perhaps the 117nth time I request this feature :-P, but... Allow us to edit the source code of the trial directly. That way, if it is really necessary to move, duplicate, delete, or whatever, frames, it is possible using ordinary copy-paste. ;-)
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
energizerspark

Post by energizerspark »

You already can. Click "export to word" or whatever it's called then edit the file in Word.
Currently watching:
Steven Universe
Currently playing:
Currently reading:
GanonZD

Post by GanonZD »

First of all, no I can't, because you can't use that feature to change the actual case structure; all you can do there is correct typos. Second of all, that feature is (as far as I know) not going to exist in V6. Then again, it's no great loss, since most browsers by now support spell checking.
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.