[✗] How is development going?

All discussions regarding the AAOv6 Beta, be it bug reports or suggestions, should be posted in this section.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Re: [✗] How is development going?

Post by Unas »

... and the export to word feature has been broken for a while anyway.

But regarding source code editing, it's already going to be much easier in V6 than in V5 for several reasons :
  • The JSON format used for V6 files is simpler to read and less risky to edit than the V5 serialized arrays.
    When editing a V5 row, a single error when counting the number of bytes in a string would cause the whole row to be read as an empty frame... which is especially annoying in non-english languages which rely on some multi-byte characters. JSON doesn't have this problem.
  • JSON is a standard, well known format (and subset of Javascript), so you could use any text editor with syntax highlighting to help you find any mistakes
  • Frame IDs are now stored statically in the trial file, contrary to V5 where the frame ID was the position of the frame in the trial. This means that, yes, you can swap the order of frames in the V6 file without breaking the actions that refer to these frames.
  • V6's save page is freely accessible (at http://aceattorney.sparklin.org/V6_Test/save.php ) so you could easily update your file after editing it.
So yeah, all that's missing is a way for you to read the actual contents of the trial file before editing, and it's definitely not hard to make :)
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
GanonZD
Spoken languages: English, Danish, German, a tiny bit French

Post by GanonZD »

Well, looks like we have a solution then :-D. Only thing is that there are currently no links to save.php from any other parts of the beta. It would feel more natural if it were more closely integrated into the editor. ;-)
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Well, the thing is, while it's going to be more robust than before, I still don't intend for it to be a regular way of saving :-P

I'm making it so that people who are technically competent could use it to their advantage, but I don't want random people overwriting their trial with this by mistake, so I won't make it too obvious.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Meph
Spoken languages: English

Post by Meph »

Unas wrote:Meph, you should've seen that I've committed quite a lot of work lately, though :roll:
Oh. It looks like my assembla account was using my old email address that was deleted for being inactive. :XD: That explains a lot. Now I have a lot of new commits to look at. I haven't had a notification sent to me since April.
Unas wrote:
GanonZD wrote:Well, I can also think of a feature missing from the editor: The ability to move frames. :-P
I know, I know, I just don't consider that a blocking feature - game saves are more urgent to me ;-)
Do you think it's a major feature though ?
It's a very important feature that's very frequently used. If you're not going to release AAO6 with that feature, it must be in your following release. :)
Evo
Spoken languages: Deutsch, English

Post by Evo »

Unas wrote: Anyway, the manager is mostly done now.
Meaning that it's got :
- Editing the metadata of existing trials (title, language, released status, collaborators)
- Editing existing trial sequences (move trials up or down, remove trials, add new trials)
- Creating new sequences
- Managing trial backups

You can already see the first two working at : http://aceattorney.sparklin.org/V6_Test/manager.php
I haven't updated the online preview since I've done the last two, though.
Could you update the online preview soon please? When I created my V6 trial I wasn't planning for it to have a second part, so I didn't make it a part of a series, but now I'll need to add one soon. (Or is that possible already and I overlooked it?)
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

It's already possible : go to the bottom of the manager ( http://aceattorney.sparklin.org/V6_Test/manager.php ), you'll see a "Create a new sequence" section.

Type in the title of the sequence, and select the first trial to include in the sequence by typing a few letters from its title in the field below. (This field is incorrectly titled "Sequence items" though, I should make it clearer).

:-)
ImageImageImage
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Big news for the player today : game saves are now implemented ! :)

On the right side of the player, you'll notice a new panel called "Game saves".
it displays the list of save links for this trial stored in your browser, and a "New save" button to create a new save with your current progress.
Click on a save link to load the corresponding state immediately in the player.

Also, be aware that saves are stored in your browser, so if you clear your browser's cookies or play on another computer, you will not be able to access them.
In that case, you can still right click a save link and copy its link address, which you can then store somewhere safe or share with other people.
ImageImageImage
GanonZD

Post by GanonZD »

Image GanonZD definitely likes this. It works a lot more intuitively than the V5 version; quite a few people failed to figure that out, but this one will cause no trouble.

Nice work, Unas. Keep it up... :-D
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
A.A. Noire

Post by A.A. Noire »

Nice to hear. :-)

So... is there anything left to be done besides some bugfixing? Are we actually really getting ready for a release? :-)
Meph

Post by Meph »

I'm going to make a prediction, and I can be a lot more confident about it, this time. :XD: I think Unas will have this released by the end of October. But it depends on whether Unas has time. He's been very busy lately, and he doesn't have the motivation after a long day of programming to get back, clean the house, cook dinner (or whatever he does) AND THEN do more programming for AAO6. :)
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Regarding your estimation, I'd say it's a little optimistic but not completely unrealistic.

I've had very busy months of August and September (2 important commitments in real life and 2 personal projects, not mentioning my job of course, that takes up time), and the first few days of October should be so as well, but I should have a little more time throughout the rest of the month.
And actually, the motivation has come back - I did manage to isolate a few days during that incredibly busy period to work on the game saving mechanism :-P
ImageImageImage
GanonZD

Post by GanonZD »

BTW, I was thinking... since I guess we're now at some kind of beta testing stage, a way of getting people to test V6 (including consistency with V5 trials) could be to add a small pop-up window to the V5 player, asking if people would like to try playing the trial in the V6 beta instead. ;-)
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Editor yes, but player?

With the major bugs you pointed out awhile back, you'd be turning off any potential players from playing the trial if they spot some annoying issues present within v6.

...As long as there's an option to immediately switch back to v5 mode, then I'll reluctantly agree to your idea :P
GanonZD

Post by GanonZD »

Perhaps we might fix those first. But they only way to ever remove all bugs from V6 is to get people to actually use it... :-)
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Don't worry about all this, I have my plans already ;-)
ImageImageImage