[P] [Bug] Popups Not Disappearing On Time

All discussions regarding the AAOv6 Beta, be it bug reports or suggestions, should be posted in this section.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Ferdielance
Spoken languages: English

[P] [Bug] Popups Not Disappearing On Time

Post by Ferdielance »

Thanks to DWaM for catching this one.

Browser: Firefox
Example case: v6 player link

Bug(s) Description:

There are two related bugs here, both of which are easy to reproduce. Have a character in a smooth-scrolling courtroom. Place a popup over them, such as "Objection!" with a timer. In the next frame, have them speak with a startup animation that plays before they talk. Rather than politely disappearing for the startup animation, the popup will cover them up until they begin to display text. This is not really an intuitive behavior if you want to, say, have Phoenix object and then slam his fists.

Scrolling reveals an even more incongruous bug. If you switch to, say, the Prosecution after having the Defense object with a timer on the objection, the popup will remain even as the courtroom scrolls, and continue to be there as the Prosecution plays their startup animation. The example shows this in full flower.

In the absence of either startup animations or scrolling, the popups seem to work properly!

Of course, merging frames and hiding popups can deal with this as a workaround, but it seems to me that default behavior should probably be a little more accommodating - unless that would break backwards compatibility somehow?
"A slow sort of country!" said the Queen. "Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Re: [P] [Bug] Popups Not Disappearing On Time

Post by Unas »

Ah, yes. I wouldn't qualify that as a bug, but it's definitely a behaviour that can be improved upon.

Currently, all popup management is triggered just after loading the frame's characters.
I could dissociate, to hide the previous popups at frame start and show the frame's popups after loading the characters. The problem being that in that case, if one wants the same popup to stay displayed over the two frames, it would be hidden and shown again.

I'm tempted to do as you suggest because it actually makes more sense, but I wonder if it might cause problems in some use cases.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Not sure about if this would work, but could you have it as a checked option for the current behaviour but have the new behaviour as the default? That way, you'd have the more intuitive method as your default, but still have the other behaviour to ensure that all possibilities are covered.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Yes, I was thinking of that as well. But this would only come later then; not right now.

Storing some new data in frames (like such a behaviour option) requires modifying the data model of trials to add a new field. If I just did that, it could break all current V6 trials which were generated without this field.
Dont worry, I have pretty much everything ready to take care of that and enable future additions to the data model easily - I designed V6 to be much easier than V5 to evolve after all. Still, it's a rather complex piece of code, that might have its own bugs. I'd rather make sure all other major bugs are eliminated before turning this on - to handle problems one at a time. ;-)
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

My replaying of the test trial indicates that the scrolling pop-up bug is fixed, but the issue with the objection covering Phoenix's desk slam happens sometimes, but inconsistently.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

As far as I'm concerned, I've run it several times and I don't see a problem at all. :-/

Actually, it was also part of the technical fix I did this summer : popup management is now triggered at the beginning of frame display, intead of waiting until the camera moves.
For the moment it seems to be the best option - maybe at some point I'll add a setting for that if it's needed.
ImageImageImage