AAO music database revamp task force - volunteers ?

All discussions regarding the AAOv6 Beta, be it bug reports or suggestions, should be posted in this section.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

AAO music database revamp task force - volunteers ?

Post by Unas »

As suggested by kwando, ED and Enthalpy, the current music library for AAO should be revamped a bit - especially because the upcoming release of AAOv6 will enable some improvements to be made.

The objectives of this task force are :
  • Get better quality tracks, by using the versions from the HD remakes for AA1 to 3.
  • Optimize them better for the web, by reducing the file size through a proper compression.
  • Improve the looping, taking advantage of V6's new features.
This is a big amount of work, as it involves going through all the AAO tracks from the games and for each:
  • Fetch the original track, from the HD soundtrack if available, or the regular soundtrack,
  • Shorten the track so that it contains only the introduction and 1 or 2 loops,
  • Note down the time for the start of the first loop in a data file that I will provide,
  • Encode the track in mp3 with a proper compression level (variable bitrate with 128kbps average would probably be far enough)
(I will provide more specific technical information when we start)

Because it's such a big amount of work, I clearly can't take care of it myself when I already have my hands full with V6 development.
That's why, as advised by kwando, I'm calling for volunteers. Please answer this topic if you have time to spend on this in the next few weeks !
It'll allow us to get organised a little bit, to distribute the work properly :)

Enlisted members so far :
OrderOfTheNick
Ferdielance
darkroams4
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Re: AAO music database revamp task force - volunteers ?

Post by kwando1313 »

Despite the fact that I suggested it, I don't really have the time to do this. xP Thanks for using my suggestion though, Unas!

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Ferdielance
Spoken languages: English

Post by Ferdielance »

If we set up an assembly line, and someone supplies me with HD mp3s, I can other steps, gradually working on the finicky loops. I can't guarantee the loops will be 100% smooth, since even timing down to the millisecond doesn't always guarantee that, but I can make them as tight as possible and do 128kbps variable rate encoding. This may take time! Expect progress to be gradual.

It would be helpful to divide up the responsibilities somehow - for example, I could do the AA2 loops or something along those lines.
"A slow sort of country!" said the Queen. "Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Don't worry about finding the tracks, I have them.
And yes, dividing the responsibilities is what I meant by distributing the work, and that's why I need to know how many people we've got before starting :-)

Also, something I didn't think about : it would be good as well to adjust the volume of the tracks to match the other tracks on AAO - the HD tracks I have are a bit louder than the standard ones for example. I'll check that.
And, of course, there'll also be the need to rename the tracks to use the exact same name as on AAO, so that trials do not get broken by a name mismatch.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Meph

Post by Meph »

Great to see this is being done! :D I may have time to help next week, but no promises.
Miki Kurosaki

Post by Miki Kurosaki »

Does that mean, we get the AA5 Sprites and Soundtracks as well? I mean, I know 3D is so slow...considering on the computer.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

AA5 music will come at some point. ;-)

However, I've never mentioned anything about AA5 "sprite" - precisely because they are not sprites, but 3D models, and there is absolutely no plan for AAO to go 3D.
ImageImageImage
Miki Kurosaki

Post by Miki Kurosaki »

Well, I didn't mean as if It was going to be in 3D the AA5 Sprites but I saw Blackquill, and some 3D Phoenix wright in your video though. So I thought capcom gave you the Sprites for AA5, to put in AAO. I mean...I wasn't kidding about when I saw that.
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

The sprites are there, but they didn't come from Capcom. Some very talented and very dedicated users looked at the 3D models from Dual Destinies and came up with a similar-looking 2D sprite. That's how we got the Phoenix and the Blackquill you saw. Unfortunately, very few Dual Destinies sprites have been made by these artists, and things do not look promising to get more of them anytime soon.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Miki Kurosaki

Post by Miki Kurosaki »

Well I suppose that, means that we might be able to use the 2D Sprite Dual Destinies Sprites I mean we might not have a lot of them but it is a start if we create brand new cases I would assume this would be new for AAO not saying it's not but I'm sure this is new to everyone on the site.
E.D.Revolution
Spoken languages: English and decent Spanish

Post by E.D.Revolution »

...may I ask why we're talking about sprites in a music topic?

Anyway, how goes progress for the music?
Miki Kurosaki

Post by Miki Kurosaki »

I was just confused was all, I mean considering how much they put all their work into that I'm impressed. Anyway, I'm sure the music progression is going along just fine...I mean they might have minor problems, but I'm sure they could fix some loops.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

E.D.Revolution wrote:Anyway, how goes progress for the music?
Erm... So far nothing - I haven't had the time to think about it. I guess I should write and send the instructions to the two volunteers some time this week...
ImageImageImage
Kyon
Spoken languages: English, Polish, Japanese

Post by Kyon »

Unas wrote: Get better quality tracks, by using the versions from the HD remakes for AA1 to 3.
Actually, I prefer most of the DS versions. They use better instruments, imho. I know adding both versions is pretty pointless and just requires more work, but it still would be nice to have a choice.
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

I've heard that the HD remake's music isn't as good as the DS ones.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."