[E] Leave page confirmation dialog

All discussions regarding the AAOv6 Beta, be it bug reports or suggestions, should be posted in this section.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

mercurialSK
Spoken languages: English

[E] Leave page confirmation dialog

Post by mercurialSK »

...I'm sure I'm not the only person who has accidentally closed the editor at some point without meaning to while there are unsaved changes, right? Four times in the one sitting? :side:

The only one of those accidentally leaving instances that I can see others doing was when I pressed Backspace in Firefox, intending to delete some text without the text field properly selected (in my case it was a dodgy touchpad). Or having too many tabs and closing the wrong one. The other times were just combinations of keyboard problems and general stupidity. Sometimes I press Ctrl+W instead of Ctrl+F.

So yeah, if there could be some confirmation box upon leaving the editor, that would be great. I personally wouldn't even mind if it was just a blanket one that doesn't take into account whether there are unsaved changes or not. Though this behaviour can be annoying to some people, maybe there can be some opt-in checkbox somewhere like on the top bar?
Backlog: v6 Perceive generator, Apollo, everything else (My thread)
Someday, on AAO™: Chris Tenson: Ace Attorney & A Turnabout Called Justice (pt 2)
Kroki
Admin
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español, 日本語

Re: [E] Leave page confirmation dialog

Post by Kroki »

mercurialSK wrote:pressed Backspace in Firefox, intending to delete some text without the text field properly selected
Those moments of deep sadness and despair. :(
ImageImage Image Image Image
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

Those moments of sadness and despair indeed...

In Firefox, use of the Pinned Tab feature will deactivate Control+W for the tab you're working on. You can access it by right-clicking on a tab. As for backspace, you can disable that by messing with your about:config settings, as written here. But be careful if you go with that option, and follow the instructions exactly.

However, since both of those methods aren't exactly well-known, and this would add little hassle, I support Mercurial's suggestion, if Unas has enough time to implement it.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
GanonZD
Spoken languages: English, Danish, German, a tiny bit French

Post by GanonZD »

Full support from here as well.

Another idea: Is there a way to disable the browser backspace function in the editor somehow? Can you do that with some JavaScript perhaps?

EDIT: At least someone claims it can be done. :-)
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
drvonkitty

Post by drvonkitty »

I hate to bump an old thread but please Unas, I beg of you. PLEASE. The pain I'm feeling is more nihilistic than some cases on this website
I just lost 50 frames of work on the competition entry and it may not seem like a lot but it took me like an hour to make that much because reasons

Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

Hmm, at the moment I'm not sure I have a reliable way of checking whether anything has been edited in the trial.
Or rather, I have one powerful module coded that would allow that (and much more) but it's currently disabled in the editor as I don't feel it's been thoroughly tested enough, so...

Meaning that if I added such a warning, it would probably be displayed every time you close the editor - even if you just opened it to browse the trial quickly without editing anything.

If you feel that's worth it, I could do it, but I'm worried it'd harm user experience too much. (especially since the message would redisplay when you close the editor just after saving !)
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

I'd personally prefer to wait until the new for this feature to be implemented. The dialog could be a hassle, and about:config settings are a good solution in the meantime.

...Though I am curious as to what this new module allows.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
drvonkitty

Post by drvonkitty »

Is there any way you can preview this feature, like you did with the new version of the editor a while back? Maybe it would be too irritating, I don't know. But it'd save dumb people like me from losing progress, since I'm nowhere near smart enough to start tinkering with any sort of config files... so I guess it just depends.

Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

drvonkitty wrote:Is there any way you can preview this feature, like you did with the new version of the editor a while back?
I could - and I probably will have to anyway when I'll decide to enable this module in the editor, since it'll need thorough testing before being delivered to everyone.
However, if I made any mistake in it, it could completely mess up trial data, so I wouldn't use that on your competition entry immediately ;-)
I'll think about it though.
Enthalpy wrote:...Though I am curious as to what this new module allows.
If you want to take a few guesses, you can have a look at the source code : http://aceattorney.sparklin.org/V6_Test ... rappers.js
The simpler operations in it are already used by the player, but enabling it in the editor would require testing and optimising the more complex ones.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )