[Bug][P][E] Missized Goodman Sprites

All discussions regarding the AAOv6 Beta, be it bug reports or suggestions, should be posted in this section.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

[Bug][P][E] Missized Goodman Sprites

Post by Enthalpy »

Browser: Mozilla Firefox 29.0.1
Links: None

Description:

None of the Goodman sprites are 256x192. Because of this, they don't display properly in v6, which only takes 256x192 sprites.

How to reproduce?:

Use any Goodman sprite. For sake of time, an example showing every single one of the Goodman sprites acting up has not been provided.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Re: [Bug][P][E] Missized Goodman Sprites

Post by kwando1313 »

Actually, why are the Goodman sprites in here, considering they're fan sprites...

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

Unas answered this previously.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

Oh, I remember reading that. I was more wondering why Unas kept them in when he was saying it was a mistake, previously.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
GanonZD
Spoken languages: English, Danish, German, a tiny bit French

Post by GanonZD »

Well, we could silently remove it from the menus of V6, but still keep it on the server for backward compatiblity (admitted, I didn't check if you already did that :-P ).
Last edited by GanonZD on Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

That's what I was wondering if Unas would do.

Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

Now that it's here I don't see any reason why to remove it from the menus, given that I'm forced to keep the files anyway for backward compatibility...
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

Well... They're kinda poor quality and jarring in comparison to the other sprites...

Ferdielance
Spoken languages: English

Post by Ferdielance »

I think the Goodman sprites are generally usable, though there are some caveats there. So I decided to make fixed versions:

DEMO OF FIXED 256 x 192 GOODMAN SPRITES.

Quick notes:

* When I was fixing the heights, I assumed his "tall" sprites were "non-witness stand" and his "short" sprites were "witness stand." So I determined his height by assuming the "tall" sprites began at the bottom of the screen without a gap, and made his witness stand sprites match that.

However, this makes for a pretty short Goodman - not as short as he currently appears in v5 at the stand if you use those sprites (Pearl-sized), but still quite short. In addition, sprite 13 (gun draw) is actually TALLER than all other sprites. This leads me to believe that the "tall" sprites were actually meant for the detention center, with a gap underneath!

(bwwwwuuuuuuh? Making sprites that only work in the Detention Center???)

I am not going to remake all the bottom bits of all the sprites to give Goodman his full height, of course. That's a lot of work for minimal reward. However, he should look okay if you use these replacements - just a tad short. If anyone is an expert with ImageMagick and can actually pull off adding a bottom section to every layer of every sprite without going mad, please, feel free.

Since v5 doesn't have any means of adjusting sprite position, I'm guessing these problems existed before, anyway, so I'm not making it worse... I hope.

According to Enthalpy, TGens uses Goodman? It might be worth checking to see if anything breaks once these fixes are implemented.

* This was a bit of a pain to do, if only because the sprites were so inconsistently sized! However, replacing the existing sprites with these should HOPEFULLY fix the issue.

FIXED SPRITE LIST; please do not hotlink: (all have sprite 1 on left, sprite 2 on right. No, I don't know the startup times.)

Pose 1:
Image Image

Pose 2:
Image Image

Pose 3:
Image Image

Pose 4:
Image Image

Pose 5:
Image Image

Pose 6:
Image Image

Pose 7:
Image Image

Pose 8:
Image Image

Pose 9:
Image Image

Pose 10:
Image Image

Pose 11:
Image Image

Pose 12:
Image Image

Pose 13:
Image Image

Pose 14:
Image Image

Pose 15:
Image Image
Last edited by Ferdielance on Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A slow sort of country!" said the Queen. "Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"
E.D.Revolution
Spoken languages: English and decent Spanish

Post by E.D.Revolution »

About TGens...

Nope, it uses my updated set on my page. I did, however, use the editor version as a base when redoing the sprites.

As of now, I'm not aware of any other trials that use the Editor's Goodman. Perhaps one would have to look into the French trials to see, since it was a French user who contributed these.
Ferdielance

Post by Ferdielance »

Oh, thanks!

Hmm... those do look better than my quick fixes. Would you be willing to give Unas permission to use any of those as replacements?
"A slow sort of country!" said the Queen. "Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"
E.D.Revolution
Spoken languages: English and decent Spanish

Post by E.D.Revolution »

That's because I spent a couple of weeks doing it when it needed to be done. :P

About giving it to the Editor... Sorry, I'm not willing to give my set to Unas for a few reasons. One, the color pallete I've used is much, much brighter than what's on the editor. Even taking the mugshot icon as a base, it's the colors used are different and the patterning is different. Two, my set was made for a specific purpose, hence the two sets and massive sprites for the whole set. Three, while I'm fine with anyone using it as long as permission is granted and/or I was notified, I'm not willing to have my specific set become part of an engine, officially. I do wish to retain rights to it.

What I can do is adapt my sprites for the Editor, but that is very time consuming. Plus, there has to be more cleaning to do to make it useable and make it as official-looking as possible.
Ferdielance

Post by Ferdielance »

That makes sense.

Given the dubious sizing and positioning of the sprites to start with, I doubt they were used much, if at all. I'd rather see Unas put in the quick-fix resizings to deal with the bug in imported trials than watch anyone waste time on a smoother set. If anyone wants better Goodman sprites, they can ask ED's permission to use the TGens ones.