[Suggestion] Auto-centering text

All discussions regarding the AAOv6 Beta, be it bug reports or suggestions, should be posted in this section.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

drvonkitty
Spoken languages: English

[Suggestion] Auto-centering text

Post by drvonkitty »

Maybe it's just me, but I'm REALLY bad at centering text in the AAO6 editor manually. A way to have it auto-centered would greatly help me, and I hope it'd help many other people as well.

Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Re: [Suggestion] Auto-centering text

Post by Unas »

Ah yes, I plan to add the text alignment option at some point (left, right and center).
However, there will very likely be a limitation when I do it : text will follow that alignment event while it's being typed.

For example, if you type "Hello" right-aligned, it would look like

Code: Select all

H|
               He|
              Hel|
             Hell|
            Hello|
And NOT

Code: Select all

H    |
            He   |
            Hel  |
            Hell |
            Hello|
That last one would be too much work - and would likely have a very big impact on performance.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
GanonZD
Spoken languages: English, Danish, German, a tiny bit French

Post by GanonZD »

Are you sure there is no easy solution to accomplish the second option? Like actually typing out all the text from the beginning, but with transparent letters, and then changing them gradually to visible letters?
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

That's a possible approach, probably the best, but I wouldn't call it "easy", as it would require me to rewrite the whole text typing module.
And it'd have some tricky parts, like properly synchronizing tag processing with typing, and stuff like that. (and it would imply a memory overhead to have independent style settings for each character - which might be noticeable)

So this will not happen before a while.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
GanonZD
Spoken languages: English, Danish, German, a tiny bit French

Post by GanonZD »

Well, there is also the option to use this system for all text. This would solve another problem, namely of the much-requested automatic line breaks. If all text is typed out beforehand, words don't change lines during the typing process.
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

I know, I thought about this too. ;-)
And I certainly don't intend to maintain two complex text typing stacks in parallel - it's clear that if I were to develop that, this new stack, though entirely different, would replace the current one and therefore be applied to all text.

As said, I could do it at some point but it'd be a lot of work, which I don't want to focus on at the moment.
ImageImageImage