[Bug][P][✓] Tiny delay in text appearing when sprite changes

All discussions regarding the AAOv6 Beta, be it bug reports or suggestions, should be posted in this section.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Hyliabook
Spoken languages: English, Hylian

[Bug][P][✓] Tiny delay in text appearing when sprite changes

Post by Hyliabook »

Browser: Chrome

Well I guess this is a bit hard to explain, but whenever a character onscreen changes their sprite, the next text box has a delay in appearing instead of appearing instantly like normal. Not when the character on screen changes, but when the same character on screen just changes their sprite, even if someone else is talking.

This becomes quite annoying in cross-examinations, waiting for the text box to appear before you can even go to the next statement.

It's happening in all my trials, not just a specific one.

I have a gif of it happening right here:

(I went around the second time to show going back to the text after it's been loaded once and fast forwarding didn't effect it at all, and any speed/display quality issues are from Hypercam or the gif conversion)
Ferdielance
Spoken languages: English

Re: [Bug][P] Small delay in text appearing when sprite chang

Post by Ferdielance »

Does this also happen on Firefox? I'd imagine so. Hmm...

I wonder if there's a delay because some animations, such as whip slashes or desk slams, need the whole screen to show them on startup... but we already have startup animations and timed frames for that... strange. Is this really different from how the v5 player did it?
"A slow sort of country!" said the Queen. "Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

I can confirm it happening on Firefox as well.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

Thanks for the report. It's a small mistake I did in one of the latest fixes which is causing this delay.
Basically, I had added the proper delay for text to start typing after all characters have finished moving, but did not handle the specific case where a character is updated while staying in the same position. Of course, if the characters are not actually moving, then this transition delay does not make sense.

It's fixed now. :)
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )