Misc. Questions

If you wish to contribute to the Ace Attorney Online Game Creation Engine open source project, or just know more about the way it is developed, this is the place.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Re: Misc. Questions

Post by Unas »

AAM, of course if you want to run anything more than the static testing, you need an HTTP server configured to execute PHP, as written in the readme files.

The simplest way to setup a PHP-capable webserver on Windows is to use a bundle installer like easyphp (take the development server) or WAMP.
Those will install the Apache HTTP server along with the PHP modules - approximately the same setup as the AAO server, and most of the webservers in the world I guess.

Apparently, as Enth pointed out there is a basic webserver included along with php now - I didn't even know about it, so I don't know what it's worth, I guess it works fine.
But anyway, a tool like WAMP or EasyPHP may be simpler for discovering the basic environment of a web developer, and will open more possibilities as well : those also come with a MySQL engine, so you'd even be able to install a fully integrated AAO version if you needed to.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
AceAttorneyMaster111
Spoken languages: English, français, un poco de español, עברית

Post by AceAttorneyMaster111 »

I use Mac, not Windows, and the built-in uses the terminal/command line which is easily accessible to me. I'm in process of installing it.or at least im trying to Git is installed and working.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Ah, good, if you are using a system with a good terminal that's fine. Let's try the built in then !

I run Linux most of the time myself, but most people run Windows - and the windows command line terminal is terrible.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Singidava
Spoken languages: Suomi, English & 日本語

Post by Singidava »

Unas wrote:I run Linux most of the time myself, but most people run Windows - and the windows command line terminal is terrible.
As a side note, if I personally have to use Windows terminal I'll just use Git Bash instead. Essentially does the same things but has also multiple Unix commands. I guess you could just add them to your Path and use cmd too but that's bothersome and Path has limited length anyway. Plus being able to copy stuff is nice.
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Yeah, I use git bash on my computer.

Too lazy to open up a VM just to program in soooo... xP

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
AceAttorneyMaster111

As I said, I use Mac. Which file do I download? .tar.bz2, .tar.gz, or .tar.xz
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Well, those are basically the same, only the compression of the archive differs. But anyway, I think all those available on the official website are Linux builds.
For OSX, you should have a look here : http://php-osx.liip.ch/

If you want to install php 5.5, you can simply run

Code: Select all

curl -s http://php-osx.liip.ch/install.sh | bash -s 5.5
in your terminal : it will fetch the package installer from this site and run it.
ImageImageImage
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

I've stumbled across a bug while testing the converter:

Some Def1 frames have image lines like 'salle_d_audience/salledattente,PERhttp://aceattorney.free.fr/Ressources/Images/persos//no.gif'. The problem is http://aceattorney.free.fr/Ressources/I ... os//no.gif, which in-context is meant to be just no, but Def1 doesn't realize this.

Is this a one-off problem, or part of a larger class of converter issues?
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

This looks more like a bug in the V1 or V2 editor. Looks like the editor interpreted the "no character" information as an external picture and stored it as such, which does not make sense. The trial data itself is wrong.
The converter could probably recognise this specific issue on fix it on the fly (hardcoding a replacement of "PERhttp://aceattorney.free.fr/Ressources/Images/persos//no.gif" by "no" before handling the field or something), but it would be quite clunky anyway.

I don't think you should focus on these issues though : if a bug is ever reported in a Def1 trial, we'll see, but I dooubt people care about many of those.
For the record, when AAO was first released in English and became widely known it was already running the V3 editor and using Def4 format... So fixing a V2 bug in Def1 files is probably not that important.
ImageImageImage
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

Also, a suggestion about the issue tracker...

Currently, we can only assign issues to Unas and AceAttorneyOnline. Would it be possible to add people (like me) to that list so we can at least assign issues to ourselves and make that type of management easier?

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
AceAttorneyMaster111

I could beam probably wrong, but I think assigning issues is reserved to people who can modify the repository directly. Iunno if there's a way to change that in settings.
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

It should be possible if Unas gives us read permissions. Just enough so that we can be assigned projects, but not enough that we can edit anything.

Since Unas was going to let us edit the Wiki as well (see Project Listing topic), we may also get writing power, if "write" doesn't include writing files.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

kwando1313 wrote:Currently, we can only assign issues to Unas and AceAttorneyOnline. Would it be possible to add people (like me) to that list so we can at least assign issues to ourselves and make that type of management easier?
I thought I couldn't with a free bitbucket account, but it turns out I can actually.
Enth is right, it just only displays people who have explicit permissions on the repository : I just explicitly set a "read" permission on the repository (which you implicitly had anyway since the repository is public) for Kwando, Enth and AAM, and you now all appear in the list. :)

As far as the wiki is concerned, I intended to make it freely editable by anyone, like any wiki, rather than specifically giving you write permissions.
ImageImageImage
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

Yeah, I figured that it would be possible because I've used bitbucket for work, so I figured the permissions logic would work in a similar manner to JIRA. xP

The annoying thing is that only the reporter of an issue can only assign who is on the issue, but... It's not a major major concern. xP

Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

If need be, we'll just make a topic to request assignments.