Annoying Sprite-making problem

Showcase your artistic creations, whether that be sprites, music, drawings or literature, and whether they be related to the Ace Attorney universe or not.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

BricksterAceAttorney
Spoken languages: English

Annoying Sprite-making problem

Post by BricksterAceAttorney »

Please move to "Your Art" if it's supposed to be there, but I thought it seemed more at home here at first.
Anyway:
Now, this really annoys me whenever I spend ages making sprites in photoshop - the white pixels around my sprites. How can I stop this happening (and if possible can someone help me with it)?
Desperately looking for collaborators and people who have spriting abilities and talent!
Spoiler : TURNABOUT BRICKS :
Meph

Re: Annoying Sprite-making problem

Post by Meph »

Moved to Your Art. :)
BricksterAceAttorney

thought so. Thanks, Meph. Wasn't sure about the location. thanks.
Desperately looking for collaborators and people who have spriting abilities and talent!
Tap

Post by Tap »

When you re-size an image in Photoshop, it will always be anti-aliased unless you set the re-sizing settings to: "[CTRL + K] Image Interpolation: Nearest Neighbor", which preserves the hard, clean and crisp edges. There are two further alternatives. You can either manually remove the white background yourself, or you can index the image (Image > Mode > Indexing). Sometimes, a white outline will remain, so you'll have to remove it manually too... The benefits of indexing over manually removing the outline [without indexing] is a resized image will often have more than 256 colours, and when animated, the .gif format will most likely create a new white outline alongside destroying many of the colours in the image... :?

Hope this helps!
ImageImage
BricksterAceAttorney

Tap wrote:When you re-size an image in Photoshop, it will always be anti-aliased unless you set the re-sizing settings to: "[CTRL + K] Image Interpolation: Nearest Neighbor", which preserves the hard, clean and crisp edges. There are two further alternatives. You can either manually remove the white background yourself, or you can index the image (Image > Mode > Indexing). Sometimes, a white outline will remain, so you'll have to remove it manually too... The benefits of indexing over manually removing the outline [without indexing] is a resized image will often have more than 256 colours, and when animated, the .gif format will most likely create a new white outline alongside destroying many of the colours in the image... :?

Hope this helps!
Thanks a bunch, Tap! My perspective for my defence and prosecution sprites will be a little off, but eh. Anyway, your advice is really useful! I made this:
using your suggestions, and although I thought it was a little pixelated, I realised it actually fits in with the AA style now. So thanks a lot. Here's the end result:

Yes, his name is Doug Cole ("Dug Coal"). I'm basking in the puniness here. Studman, Doug Cole... ;)

So anyway, thanks for the billionth time Tap. You saved [s]science[/s] the New Turnabout Bricks!
Though now I think about it, that solution may also work on the original photos and save me a lot of work on drawing the characters. Well, I've made 2 cartoons now so there's no point stopping now.