Discuss works of media, like films, television programmes and novels.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Gav
Spoken languages: English, Chez Swedish

Post by Gav »

Seriously. NOBODY has created a topic about this yet?!

Avatar: The Last Airbender is about a world in which different groups of people can harness different powers pertaining to the elements. There is also an Avatar, who can master all four of these. Needless to say, he/she can kick people around all he/she wants. This peace and prosperity thing has to skip a FEW, right?

The sequel, about a new avatar named Korra, will be aired today at 11 AM EST. I'M SO EXCITED IT WAS SUCH A GOOD SHOW!
gotMLK7 wrote:This is a list where NBA Jam beats Mega Man 2.

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.
AABattery
Spoken languages: English, Spanish, Learning Korean

Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender

Post by AABattery »

The first episode of The Legend of Korra wasn't that great compared to Avatar. The second episode was pretty funny, though.
Singidava
Spoken languages: Suomi, English & 日本語

Post by Singidava »

I've seen like the first two eps since my middle school friend was pretty much an Avatar fangirl. I can't say much from just the first eps but from what I saw it seemed like the story isn't terribly original but the execution is great. I wouldn't mind continuing with the series.

But then again I saw those in middle school so my memory is a bit hazy.
Wolf Speaker
Spoken languages: English, French, Chinese

Post by Wolf Speaker »

I'm so hyped for the third episode of LoK.
Shuìlián - Lv.9
Adaptability

- Helping Hand
- Growl
- Tackle
- Tail Whip
- Sand-Attack
- Baby-Doll Eyes

Mr. Darcy - Lv.8
Pick Up

- Odor Sleuth
- Tackle
- Growl
- Defense Curl
- Flail

Allistair - Lv.9
- Tackle
- Dragon Rage
- Focus Energy
- Bite
The Canadian Judge
Spoken languages: English, Basic French

Post by The Canadian Judge »

Oh, Avatar: The Last Airbender I used to love that show... I even bought the really bad Avatar video games.
My favorite character would have to be... Uncle Iroh because
Spoiler : Avatar: The Last Airbender :
He is probably the best fire-bender in the series, but he also helped Aang in various ways. For example, in the episode "The Crossroads of Destiny" Iroh helps Aang & Katara escape when Aang is severely injured.
Credit to Midnight Jasper on Court-Records
AABattery

Post by AABattery »

Episode 3 of Korra: pretty damn sweet!
Wolf Speaker

Post by Wolf Speaker »

Mako and Bolin dlfkdfklghdlkdslf.
Shuìlián - Lv.9
Adaptability

- Helping Hand
- Growl
- Tackle
- Tail Whip
- Sand-Attack
- Baby-Doll Eyes

Mr. Darcy - Lv.8
Pick Up

- Odor Sleuth
- Tackle
- Growl
- Defense Curl
- Flail

Allistair - Lv.9
- Tackle
- Dragon Rage
- Focus Energy
- Bite
AABattery

Post by AABattery »

Last episode was weird and made no sense...

How the hell are they gonna make a new season with an ending like that?!
Tap
Spoken languages: English

Post by Tap »

Aha, that's exactly how I felt! Still, it was one heck of a finale... :D
Spoiler : :
I'm a bit disappointed Amon turned out to be a water/bloodbender... It would have been something else to learn his 'un-bending' came from a spirit... Still, I could see something definitely coming from this. If bloodbending at its peak has the power to effectively severe the ties between the elements, the Water Tribes might be subject to some pretty heavy prejudice in the next book...

And the Equalist movement doesn't seem like ending any time soon... Although it'd definitely be regulated to the shadows now, I suppose...
ImageImage
Wolf Speaker

Post by Wolf Speaker »

I want to finish watching this so bad! Maybe I'll sneak onto my brother's computer while he's away. Otherwise I'll have to watch it on my iPod.
Shuìlián - Lv.9
Adaptability

- Helping Hand
- Growl
- Tackle
- Tail Whip
- Sand-Attack
- Baby-Doll Eyes

Mr. Darcy - Lv.8
Pick Up

- Odor Sleuth
- Tackle
- Growl
- Defense Curl
- Flail

Allistair - Lv.9
- Tackle
- Dragon Rage
- Focus Energy
- Bite
Ami

Post by Ami »

Catching up on the season. Loving the Mei and Ty Lee expies that are Tenzin's kids, and the dynamic of the Fire Ferrets with Asami is AWESOME. Going to love the next episodes where things really start to pick up, and the next seasons as well.
since 2008!
The Crusader Of 42

Post by The Crusader Of 42 »

Legend Of Korra is amazing. I absolutely love the setting. I love the characters, and I love how dark it is.
The last episode of season one gave me shivers.
The series finally provides one of the most depressing, shocking and
brutal deaths I have ever seen in any cartoon show. Hell! If you showed me the final scene
between Tarrlok and Amon 5 years ago, I probably would have cried.
The roaring twenties setting of this show is really well done. The jazz music and old style announcers just add a certain
flair to this show.

Everything about this show works.
"Curiously enough, the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias as it fell was Oh no, not again. Many people have speculated that if we knew exactly why the bowl of petunias had thought that we would know a lot more about the nature of the Universe than we do now."

AABattery

Post by AABattery »

Meh... The ending really didn't work for me... It's like they tried to wrap up everything in a couple of minutes... especially the last few minutes... Trust me, I loved Korra as much as the next guy, but the very end was predictable and it left me dissatisfied...

What really made no sense was the fact that:
Why is it that Amon and Tarrlok look like their dad's new face, rather than the face he had before the surgery?

Also, I'm still confused whether Amon was getting revenge for his dad, or actually going for equality. I mean, he got kicked out from a window, fell in the water, his "scar" disappears, and everyone notices that he's a water bender... Then he runs away and practically says, "Eh. I give up. C'mon, Tarrlok! Let's go boating!" Honestly, I think he was just trying to get a wack at the Avatar, because it really didn't seem like he was out for revenge in the first place, either. "Oh, I took away a lot of my fellow bender's bending so I can fight you, Avatar!" Couldn't he just ask for a duel? The more I think about this, the more stupid his motive sounds. I don't like it. I don't like his motives. I don't think I'll be able to re watch Korra the same way I did before.

EDIT: And another thing! If Amon really did believe in equality, like they said he moderately did, why was he acting like a total punk to Tarrlock when they were young. Why did he even continue blood bending, knowing that it hurts people? Tarrlock blatantly said it, yet after leaving the water tribe, Amon continued to blood bend. NO SENSE!
Ami

Post by Ami »

AABattery wrote:Meh... The ending really didn't work for me... It's like they tried to wrap up everything in a couple of minutes... especially the last few minutes... Trust me, I loved Korra as much as the next guy, but the very end was predictable and it left me dissatisfied...

What really made no sense was the fact that:
Why is it that Amon and Tarrlok look like their dad's new face, rather than the face he had before the surgery?

Also, I'm still confused whether Amon was getting revenge for his dad, or actually going for equality. I mean, he got kicked out from a window, fell in the water, his "scar" disappears, and everyone notices that he's a water bender... Then he runs away and practically says, "Eh. I give up. C'mon, Tarrlok! Let's go boating!" Honestly, I think he was just trying to get a wack at the Avatar, because it really didn't seem like he was out for revenge in the first place, either. "Oh, I took away a lot of my fellow bender's bending so I can fight you, Avatar!" Couldn't he just ask for a duel? The more I think about this, the more stupid his motive sounds. I don't like it. I don't like his motives. I don't think I'll be able to re watch Korra the same way I did before.

EDIT: And another thing! If Amon really did believe in equality, like they said he moderately did, why was he acting like a total punk to Tarrlock when they were young. Why did he even continue blood bending, knowing that it hurts people? Tarrlock blatantly said it, yet after leaving the water tribe, Amon continued to blood bend. NO SENSE!
Spoiler : In that order :
Keep in mind, this is my understanding of events, so take it for what you will.

Amon and Tarrlok could easily have looked like their dad post-surgery due to simply genetics. There's also the fact that the real differences to the faces of Yakone are the nose, skin color, and gaunt of his cheeks. If you take a close look at the bone structure, it's the same, AND Yakone is a water-tribe, so it's entirely possible that they're just making him look younger.

It was probably a mix. Keep in mind his screwed-up childhood. Like Tarrlock says- he truly believes bending is the root of all evil, given what he went through, and believes in equality. However, he also bears the scarring from his childhood. He was raised as the best, and expected nothing less. With that sense of ego, he believes himself above others. So he starts his revenge against everyone. Ego leads to hubris, which is his downfall. Also, he treats Tarlockk harsk because he's not only a bender, but a blood-bender.
It i sdiffiicult to type w/one hand and a fussy teething baby in the other.
since 2008!
AABattery

Post by AABattery »

His ego wasn't his downfall. It was the fact that Korra could airbend where she otherwise couldn't. If it wasn't for that, Amon could have gotten away with it no problem! That's another thing. They really didn't explain why Korra was able to airbend after Amon took her bending.