[Bug][E][✓] Text preview completely disappears

All discussions regarding the AAOv6 Beta, be it bug reports or suggestions, should be posted in this section.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Meph
Spoken languages: English

[Bug][E][✓] Text preview completely disappears

Post by Meph »

This only happens in Chrome.

If you tick the "text preview" checkbox, the dialogue box will completely disappear. (I need this fixed for the video tutorial I'm working on. :P )
GanonZD
Spoken languages: English, Danish, German, a tiny bit French

Re: [Bug][E] Text preview completely disappears

Post by GanonZD »

I have only experienced it when
  • The frame in question is the last one in the storyboard, or
  • The text field is empty.
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
Kroki
Admin
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español, 日本語

Post by Kroki »

Nope it also happens on Firefox and totally randomly.
ImageImage Image Image Image
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

Meph wrote:This only happens in Chrome.

If you tick the "text preview" checkbox, the dialogue box will completely disappear. (I need this fixed for the video tutorial I'm working on. :P )
Meph, you of all people should know that such reports require a precise reference. And it's not the first time I remind you of that either...
How on earth am I to know what conditions cause this, when you don't tell me when and where it happens ?

It is perfectly normal for empty frames (or for frames containing only effect tags) since in the player the box isn't displayed in these cases either.

If it happens on frames that do contain text and should display it, then I need to know which ones !

Ganon : It always happen for the last frame of the storyboard, you say ?
Well, it doesn't happen for me, so I guess it's a little more complex than that. Could you be more specific too ? (give me a link to one trial where you noticed it, tell me what browser version you're using...)

Kroki : how randomly ? Do you mean that previewing the same frame twice (without editing it in between) can result in such an empty textbox ?
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Kroki
Admin
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español, 日本語

Post by Kroki »

Actually it's really weird, some frames just don't display but I couldn't find any comon point, it's not that there is just a background and no character, it's not that there is a male voice, it's not that the frame ends with a [#p100]...
I don't know if it stays after saving though, I'll try it later. u_U
ImageImage Image Image Image
GanonZD

Post by GanonZD »

Unas wrote:Ganon : It always happen for the last frame of the storyboard, you say ?
Well, it doesn't happen for me, so I guess it's a little more complex than that. Could you be more specific too ? (give me a link to one trial where you noticed it, tell me what browser version you're using...)
Actually, I'm unable to reproduce it. When I experienced this "bug", I was unaware that the frame is supposed to disappear if the text box is empty. The frame might have been empty when I encountered the "bug", I don't know -- else "unfortunately", I can't seem to find the bug again. So if I was mistaken, I'm sorry for the inconvenience. :-)
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
Meph
Spoken languages: English

Post by Meph »

Unas wrote:Meph, you of all people should know that such reports require a precise reference. And it's not the first time I remind you of that either...
How on earth am I to know what conditions cause this, when you don't tell me when and where it happens ?
I assumed it would be easily reproducible since I was able to reproduce it consistently in certain scenarios (whilst emptying my cache to rule out other possibilities).

But recently, it happened to me when I had created only one frame in a trial and I had written in it "Hi Nick![#500][#f][#s]". But I can't reproduce it now. It just seems to crop up randomly. There's no obvious explanation. (Not that I haven't saved the trial data.) Maybe the Editor somehow assumed that the textarea was empty, even though there was text in it.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

What can make a textbox appear empty is if you have a syntax error in your tags as well.

For example, note that when you use a [/#] tag (the closing tag), everything between the previous tag and this one is considered as content of the previous tag. If the previous tag is a colour tag, then this content is displayed; effect tags, however, do not display their content.
So effectively, if you write [#f]Hahahaha![/#], it's the same as if you'd just put the flash tag, and this doesn't display anything.

And note that you can't nest tags either, by the way. Like, putting a var tag inside of a colour tag won't work.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
GanonZD

Post by GanonZD »

This is slightly off-topic, but exactly which tags are supported in V6?
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

All V5 tags are supported as is, except colour tags which are converted from the old <red></red> to the new [#instant:red][/#].
A new tag is added : [#colour:red][/#], the default colour tag for V6, which does not trigger instant text display like the V5 and instant tags do.

And, regarding effect tags, a list wouldn't be the appropriate format to describe them, I'll have to write a short tutorial to show all the possibilities.
ImageImageImage
GanonZD

Post by GanonZD »

Well, the [#color:] tags completely mess up the previously mentioned text previews. First of all, the coloured text is not displayed, and the text is typed and has typing sounds.

AND they don't seem to be displayed in the player.

I could give you a link, but it's really easy to reproduce. It doesn't seem to work at all...
Last edited by GanonZD on Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

GanonZD wrote:[#color:]
[#colour:]
Write proper English and it'll work much better :-P

Regarding the text typing though, it does look like I have missed some cases in which it does start typing rather than appear instantly. I'll have a look at that.
ImageImageImage
GanonZD

Post by GanonZD »

Nice, so there ARE places on the Internet using British spelling? I like that. ;-)

However, I don't like this bug on this trial (42018) related to the colour tags. :-)
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

What's the problem ? Looks fine to me (in Firefox 15 at least, I haven't tested it in Chrome yet).
ImageImageImage
GanonZD

Post by GanonZD »

Sorry, forgot to mention it... the problem is that the typing sounds stop when the coloUr changes. I'm using Chrome. :-)
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.