[T] Maya Fey: Spiritual Successor ●●○○ (Case 2 Remake Out!)

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

256 Pi
Spoken languages: English

[T] Maya Fey: Spiritual Successor ●●○○ (Case 2 Remake Out!)

Post by 256 Pi »

Yep, it's here. Turnabout Taxi has finally been made public after 4+ years of work. (6-7 if you count the deleted 2013 version.) If you've been around long enough to have played the original version, this remake is very different from what I had in 2013. Names were carried over (many sprites retooled), parts of the initial premise were carried over, but otherwise it's totally reworked from the ground up as if that old version never happened. If you've not been around long enough to see the original... good, you're not missing out. But the case is finally in good enough shape in my eyes to be visible to the public, even pretty proud of it, and both cases are at a point where I am no longer embarrassed by them. Hope you enjoy.

----

This is a four-case series, starring Maya Fey, who has become a lawyer. It takes place about 5 years after the events of SoJ (though that number is subject to change as more AA games come out). As the series belongs directly within the existing canon, it assumes that you have played the series through SoJ. There's not a lot in the way of direct spoilers outside of the original trilogy, anything afterwards is mostly relegated to minor non-spoiler references, but the more caught up on the actual series you are, the better.

Also apologies in advance for my subpar sprite work. Drawing isn't exactly my strong suit. (I do think I'm much better than 6 years ago but don't expect masterworks of spriting here.)

Case 1: Turnabout Exhibit http://www.aaonline.fr/player.php?trial_id=82389
Spoiler : Case 1 Synopsis :
Phoenix Wright gets a phone call from an unknown woman to look into an ongoing case regarding the attempted murder of Lotta Hart. After a conversation with the accused, taxi driver Zuma Techster, Phoenix is very confused to find out that she already has a lawyer, and that lawyer is her best friend, none other than Maya Fey. Coincidentally, Maya happens to walk in to talk to Zuma only to find Phoenix, panic, and awkwardly try to run away. Phoenix stops her to try and catch up on the details, and possibly find out about how so much could have changed in the course of 5 years, and how he managed to miss it all happen.
He eventually volunteers to help Maya in her first case as a lawyer, involving a gun in a museum exhibit, and a rather unfortunately reliable witness...
Spoiler : Case 1 Preview Screenshots :
Spoiler : Case 1 Walkthrough :
Day 1

Testimony 1:
Press Statements 2,3,5.

Testimony 2:
Press Statements 4,5,9.
Ask about "time of gunshot"
Present Injury Report on Statement 10.

Present Exhibit Guide.
Choose "someone else".
Present Power Outage Data.

Day 2

Choose "Third guy".

Testimony 1:
Press Statement 1.
Present Phone Conversation at Statement 5.

Testimony 2:
Press Statement 2.
Present Golden Gun at Statement 2. You can also present the map but you'll have to present the Golden Gun right after that anyway.

Present The Golden Gun.
Choose "First floor".
Present Exhibit Guide.
Choose "Third page".
Present Jean Shred.
Present Lotta's Camera.

Case 2: Turnabout Taxi
Part 1 (Trial 1): http://www.aaonline.fr/player.php?trial_id=106328
Part 2 (Investigation): http://www.aaonline.fr/player.php?trial_id=106768
Part 3 (Trial 2): http://www.aaonline.fr/player.php?trial_id=107029
Spoiler : Case 2 Synopsis :
Maya once again gets a call from Zuma asking for help, but this time requesting to defend her coworker Justin Parker, who's been accused of murder... via intentional car crash. Along the way, Maya gets to know Zuma's work life and other coworkers at Yellocab Taxi Company, including a run-in with one of her nosy former teachers at law school, and the prosecutor who looks rather familiar to her...
Spoiler : Case 2 Preview Screenshots :
Spoiler : Case 2 Walkthrough :
Part 1 (Trial 1)

First half:

Testimony #1:
Press Statements 1, 2 and 5.
Choose second option.

Testimony #2:
Press Statement 3.
Present Neighbors’ Testimony at Statement 3a.
Present Auto Drive Notes.
Choose second option.
Choose third option.

Second half:

Testimony #1:
Press Statement 1.
Present Megan’s Picture at Statement 1a.
Present Rice Grain Special Menu.

Testimony #2:
Press Statement 2.
Choose third option.
Choose second option.

Part 2 (Investigation) [NOTE: This entire section is pretty nonlinear. I've made it so that you can complete sections in whatever order you want, though this is the order of events I typically go by.]

First half:

-> Move to Yellocab Office and talk to Zuma about everything. (Zuma follows you after this)
-> Move to Detention Center and talk to Justin about everything.
-> Move to Crash Site and talk to Ema about everything.

Second half:

-> Talk to Zuma. (she opens up Break Room and Garage)

-> Move to Crash Site.
-------> Examine the spot of gasoline.
-------> Examine the police car.
-------> Connect “Ema parked nearby?” with “Cars towed out” [Present both in either order]
-------> Examine the white building down the block, you automatically move into Justin's Building.
----------------> Examine the faint ring of blood on the floor.
----------------> Present Zuma’s Towel.
----------------> Examine the fridge.
----------------> Talk to Ema about everything.
----------------------> Connect the facts: “Break-in at Whipple’s” with “Keys missing”

-> Move to the Break Room.
-------> Talk to Jack and Flip about everything. (Jack opens Greenwalls Drugstore)
-------> Present Flip Racinder.
-------> Present Justin Parker.
-------> Present Zuma’s Towel.
-> Move to Greenwalls Drugstore.
-------> Talk to Jazmine about everything.
-> Move to Garage.
-------> Examine the box on the floor.

-> Present Jack's Car Key to Ema. (If you’ve not talked to her yet at this point, you’ll have to go through all the other examining & stuff in Justin's Building first before she looks at it)

-> Move to Yellocab Office (after all of the above is done).
-> Present Magatama.
-------> Present Justin Parker.
-------> Present Justin’s Water Bottle.
-------> Present Jack’s Car Key.
-------> Present Jack Speedman.

Part 3 (Trial 2)

Present Jack’s Car Key.
Connect the facts: “No glitch?” with “Justin’s crash”
Connect the facts: “Brake failure” with “Regular check-ups”
Connect the facts: “Mechanic screw-up” with “The crash lawsuit”
Choose second option.
Present Jack Speedman.

Testimony #1:
Press Statement 4.
Choose first option.

Testimony #2:
Press Statement 3.
Choose second option.
Present Fridge at the new statement.

Testimony #3:
Press Statement 2.
Press the new Statement 2.
Choose first option.
Present Flip’s Note at the newer Statement 2.

Testimony #4:
Present Zuma’s Towel at Statement 4.

Thought Route, in order: Second choice, second choice, first choice, third choice, first choice, second choice.

Present Whipple's Missing Keys.
Choose third option.
coming soon:

Ah right, and here's the sprite credits.
Spoiler : :
Maya sprites by Aer. Some edits by me.
Maya profile pic by Hesseldahl.
Pearl sprites by SuperAj3 and me, additional credits to TheArtNinja, Anyare, AquaAce72, and drvonkitty.

Younger Pearl sprites in intro of Case 1 by Anyare.
Apollo front sprites by pokemonmercury.
Norman and Zuma sprites by me. Hence their bad quality.

Justin and Jack sprites by me.
Whipple profile by Zinle.
Flip sprites by Lind.
Jazmine sprites by DragonTrainer and Crystalklk.
Rob sprites by Dypo deLina, extra poses by me, Ledrert, and Lind.
Ibbotson sprites by FenrirDarkWolf, extra poses by me.
Megan sprites by me (base by pokemonmercury).

Phoenix front sprites by Hesseldahl.
Athena sprites by mercurialSK and Rajin.
Ema sprites by Hesseldahl.
Thought Route graphics by TheDoctor.
Confetti sprite by FenrirDarkWolf.
Pearl's "Objection" voiced by Rina-chan.
Any and all feedback is welcome, positive or negative!
Last edited by 256 Pi on Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:51 am, edited 122 times in total.
AquaAce72

Re: [T] Untitled Maya Fey Series ○○○○

Post by AquaAce72 »

In the art section there are thousands of custom backgrounds from various visual novels to use.

You could also use some of the custom sprites in the art section for your OCs. Just be sure to give credit, and no hotlinking! :P
ApolloGrimoire

Post by ApolloGrimoire »

There is a guide on Psyche-Locks here:

http://aceattorney.sparklin.org/forum/v ... =15&t=5099

Umm... didn't Luke Atmey say Maya Fey - Ace Spirit Medium? :atmey:
Like the creator of Final Fantasy, I'm better at telling a story.
If you need help animating Ace Attorney sprite sheets, I'm your man.

Case 1 - Nursing the Turnabout: Trial Former, Trial Latter
Greatest Weakness - Mis;use of; Semi;colons
256 Pi

Post by 256 Pi »

There is a guide on Psyche-Locks here:

http://aceattorney.sparklin.org/forum/v ... =15&t=5099

Umm... didn't Luke Atmey say Maya Fey - Ace Spirit Medium?
Only problem with that title is that Maya isn't a spirit medium in this series. But thanks for the suggestion. :)

Also, the main issue is getting Psyche-Locks to appear during talk conversations. It actually is plot-relevant,
since the first case has Pearl showing Psyche-Locks but they're broken by Maya winning the case,
so you never use the Magatama. Unfortunately, neither the AAO documentation or the guide you showed me is telling me how to do that. At least I'm getting a better idea on how to do the actual lock-breaking, but that's kind of the less important part right now. :P
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

^But what? Is this supposed to be an AU (where doesn't have spirit medium powers) or are you merely referring to her occupation?
256 Pi

Post by 256 Pi »

No, she still has spirit medium powers. But really they're only used in one scene in Case 2. I'm not saying Maya can't channel spirits anymore, but it's just kind of a misleading title.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

From what I understood of the games, I thought she WAS a spirit medium (someone with the power to channel spirits inside of them), like an actual race, instead of just a title :s

Still, I get your logic.
256 Pi

Post by 256 Pi »

Alright, I managed to knock out three characters from various forum topics, and I found an archive of location images, so looks like we're coming along OK. Most of the characters, however, I already have an idea on how they're supposed to look, so I'll just have to keep requesting. :P
256 Pi

Post by 256 Pi »

New! Maya Fey - The Prologue is out! This is a collection of various scenes showing the events leading up to Case 1 of the Maya Fey series (which should hopefully be ready by this summer.)
naagloshii
Spoken languages: English, French, learning Russian

Post by naagloshii »

Jotted down some comments while playing :D
-Bahaha. Loved the beginning nonsense, it was great :D
-Oh my that song… I don't think I've heard this arrangement before. It's so much sadder…
-WHERE DID YOU GET THIS MUSIC I NEED IT.
-What a thing for poor Pearl to deal with… Maya giving up the Master position because of her psychotic mother….
-Could use a bit more time before "Three Years Later" comes up; for dramatic effect, you know.
-You should probably fill in the profiles and make them show up at the appropriate time. Right now they're all empty and you can see them right off the bat.
-The Psych-Lock is… odd.
-Ah, you explained it. Was that explanation a cover for the odd lock placement, or was it planned that way?
-Whose voice is that? It's adorable and so perfectly Maya :D
-The chains should probably have sound when they go away. Just a thought.
-"Who's the guy screaming in the other room?" Best Apollo introduction ever :P
-The teacher is a great touch.
-It would probably take longer than a day for the bar exam to be marked and mailed to the agency… Maybe give it a few days instead?
-You might want to add some actual disco music in there, so that Apollo isn't saying "They really crank the volume in here" when there's complete silence for the player :P
-How is Godot out of prison, exactly?
-Oldbag was perfect. Well done :)
-How exactly did they get stuck on the ceiling? I'm… confused.
-Poor Polly ahahaha
-Are you planning to get older Maya sprites? It makes sense that Edgeworth and Larry wouldn't change much over time, but Maya's going from 17 to 25, which is fairly substantial.
-Oh, so there was supposed to be music playing at the club? I didn't hear it, and I waited for it to fully load, so you might want to check that link. Though it might just be my computer; it likes cutting songs out of the Trial Player sometimes :S
All in all, I'm really looking forward to the rest of this! Keep it up.
I'm off to listen to bands you kids have never heard of, and when they go major I'll be there to complain about how much they've sold out!
-Uzuki Yashiro

♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥
Love should be genderless.
If you agree, please add this to your signature.
256 Pi

Post by 256 Pi »

Responses to comments made by naagloshii:
You said, "WHERE DID YOU GET THIS MUSIC I NEED IT."

You know that big list of audio you don't have to upload yourself? It goes GS1, GS2, GS3, GS4, GK1, GK2, Enter The Jaws Theme, GS Orchestra, and various other remixes. Most of the music I used for this trailer is under the "Enter The Jaws Theme" section of the preloaded audio, probably along with one or two from the GS Orchestra section.

You said, "Ah, you explained it. Was that explanation a cover for the odd lock placement, or was it planned that way?"

Well, I guess you could say it was a mix of both. I was already planning to have that other Magatama used in the main series, and I knew they weren't going to work the exact same way, but when I found out that I couldn't get Psyche-Locks to work the normal way, I invented the alternate system you see there.

You said, "Whose voice is that? It's adorable and so perfectly Maya."

It's Mia's voice. I figured that would work, since they're sisters (and Maya is probably around Mia's age in 3-1 at that time.) Guess it worked better than I thought! :D

You said, "How is Godot out of prison, exactly?"

My case, "The Turnabout Convention", should have explained that. (And I thought you said you played that case? :P) Anyway, I'll explain it. Since Godot only did it to protect Maya, he got off with only two years of prison.

You said, "How exactly did they get stuck on the ceiling? I'm… confused."

Well, to be honest, I'm tempted to edit the case and plop in that explanation, except that this event becomes important in the main series (Case 3, to be exact) and Trucy gives Maya the full story then...Ah, whatever, I'll just tell you and edit the case accordingly: those frayed ropes were connected to some fake columns used as the set for the performance. When the ropes broke, the columns flew upward, bringing up Edgeworth, Larry, Oldbag, and Apollo with them.

You said, "Are you planning to get older Maya sprites? It makes sense that Edgeworth and Larry wouldn't change much over time, but Maya's going from 17 to 25, which is fairly substantial."

No, I'm not, and here's why: If I'm not mistaken, Maya was 17 during GS1, which would make her 19 during the Hazakura Temple incident. She didn't change at all during that time period. She even mentioned that she was "short for her age" in one case. I figured she wouldn't really change much after that (maybe a bit taller? I don't know). And anyway, the rest of the series takes place in her point of view, so you won't see her from a front perspective again until she gets into court for the first time. And I already have sprites for that. ;)

You said, "Oh, so there was supposed to be music playing at the club? I didn't hear it, and I waited for it to fully load, so you might want to check that link. Though it might just be my computer; it likes cutting songs out of the Trial Player sometimes :S"

Definitely a problem with your computer. It works perfectly fine on my computer and my dad's computer. Then again, the song there was DEFINITELY not Ace Attorney-related and I hosted it myself on Fileden. That could be the reason.
naagloshii
Spoken languages: English, French, learning Russian

Post by naagloshii »

256 Pi wrote:You said, "How exactly did they get stuck on the ceiling? I'm… confused."

Well, to be honest, I'm tempted to edit the case and plop in that explanation, except that this event becomes important in the main series (Case 3, to be exact) and Trucy gives Maya the full story then...Ah, whatever, I'll just tell you and edit the case accordingly: those frayed ropes were connected to some fake columns used as the set for the performance. When the ropes broke, the columns flew upward, bringing up Edgeworth, Larry, Oldbag, and Apollo with them.
Oh, that makes sense! It's a little confusing when you can't see it; maybe toss in a quick mention of the columns?
256 Pi wrote:You said, "Oh, so there was supposed to be music playing at the club? I didn't hear it, and I waited for it to fully load, so you might want to check that link. Though it might just be my computer; it likes cutting songs out of the Trial Player sometimes :S"

Definitely a problem with your computer. It works perfectly fine on my computer and my dad's computer. Then again, the song there was DEFINITELY not Ace Attorney-related and I hosted it myself on Fileden. That could be the reason.
That would explain it. My computer hates Fileden for some reason; goodness knows why.

As for the Godot thing, I totally forgot that Turnabout Convention was part of the timeline, even though it was mentioned. I was just dumb last night, I guess haha.
I'm excited to see your Maya court sprites! Should be a good time :D
I'm off to listen to bands you kids have never heard of, and when they go major I'll be there to complain about how much they've sold out!
-Uzuki Yashiro

♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥
Love should be genderless.
If you agree, please add this to your signature.
256 Pi

Post by 256 Pi »

I made that edit. Hopefully that scene makes more sense.
256 Pi

Post by 256 Pi »

Alright, everyone, part 2 of Maya Fey - The Prologue is finished! Now you'll finally get all the backstory!
jayvdale
Spoken languages: English, Tagalog

Post by jayvdale »

So are you beginning to work with Case 1 of an Untitled Maya Fey Series? Or just naming the title after you create all cases? :side: