September 2013 - Enthalpy

The MotM is an interview that the team does at the end of each month. It's a fun way of finding out about respected members of the community.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

hershel_layton
Spoken languages: English, French, Chinese

Re: Member of the Month: September 2013

Post by hershel_layton »

I will continue this forever. Yes. That is my mission.

29. What do you think of Room Q?

30. If you had to change your username what would it be changed to?

31. What was your previous username?
100% Certified Dersh
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Hey, didn't know there was a new MOTM here.

Congratulations Enthalpy, well deserved recognition IMO!

I have no real questions for you unfortunately, not sure what I want to know about you that wasn't already covered xP.

Maybe I can ask you, 1) how important do you believe the role of betatesters should be for an author (as in, should they be general playtesters, or have specific assignments of playtesting instead) to maximize efficiency (OR, to maximize the polishness of an author's case)?
And 2) How far should the author be resistant to changes he/she has been advised to make by his/her betatesters? It's always a risk if there's a change your betatesters are advising that would hurt the direction of an author's vision after all.

Additionally, after the Unimeko fad, what do you think AAO's next fad is going to be about in regards to oversaturation/prevalence of these specific IPs splattered over the forums? It seems to be a trend that it's some particular visual novel game after another.
hershel_layton
Spoken languages: English, French, Chinese

Post by hershel_layton »

Oh yeah and Thally?

32. What do you think about Nightmare Before Christmas?
100% Certified Dersh
NihilisticNinja
Spoken languages: English, Latin

Post by NihilisticNinja »

Congrats Enth. Not too MANY questions. For now.

1. So you were part of TGDK, are part of JR, and have been reading DR RP. Do you have any opinion on what the duty of a GM should be? As in, how far should their powers extend, and what should the relationship between player and GM be?

2. Who is your favorite DR character? DR2?

3. Who is your least favorite DR character? DR2?

4. Follow-up to a previous question: Are there any particular philosophical dialogues you have really enjoyed?

5. If you were forced to live in another country for the rest of your life, what would it be?

6. When constructing a case, what would you argue is the most important part?

7. Have you ever read any webcomics? If so, do you have a favorite?
"With good friends by your side, anything is possible. If you really care for each other, it makes everyone stronger! Then you'll have the will to succeed! The world is filled with painful things, it's sad sometimes, and you won't be able to handle it by yourself. But just know: If there's someone that you love, you'll stay on the right path. And you won't ever give in! As long as you keep that person in your heart, you'll keep getting back up. Understand? That's why a Hero never loses!"
Miki by Hershey's Chocolate Bars.
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

Bad Player wrote:
Enthalpy wrote:
Bad Player wrote:Second-favorite non-locked room impossible crime?
Ice bridge/lolicebridge, solely because of the rage it inspires on xat.
What if I told you the lolicebridge case also had a locked room in it?
Then I'd assume you were lying, regardless of any colored text.
hershel_layton wrote:I will continue this forever. Yes. That is my mission.

29. What do you think of Room Q?

30. If you had to change your username what would it be changed to?

31. What was your previous username?
Doesn't exist.
Enthalpy.
Proton wrote:Hey, didn't know there was a new MOTM here.

Congratulations Enthalpy, well deserved recognition IMO!

I have no real questions for you unfortunately, not sure what I want to know about you that wasn't already covered xP.

Maybe I can ask you, 1) how important do you believe the role of betatesters should be for an author (as in, should they be general playtesters, or have specific assignments of playtesting instead) to maximize efficiency (OR, to maximize the polishness of an author's case)?
And 2) How far should the author be resistant to changes he/she has been advised to make by his/her betatesters? It's always a risk if there's a change your betatesters are advising that would hurt the direction of an author's vision after all.

Additionally, after the Unimeko fad, what do you think AAO's next fad is going to be about in regards to oversaturation/prevalence of these specific IPs splattered over the forums? It seems to be a trend that it's some particular visual novel game after another.
1) I don't understand the question. Are you asking for how important they are, what they are to do, or how important they are at the various things they do?
2) Obviously, a change recommended by a beta-test isn't necessarily good, and a good change isn't necessarily one suggested by a beta-tester. My thoughts are that changes by beta-testers should be considered, and the author/developer can decide whether or not to implement it. However, the objective needs to be improving the case, not resistance to change. Negative reviews should be considered, as do the number of reviews about a point.
3) I'm not quite sure what you mean by "IP," but the next major fad, in my opinion, is already here. Broadly speaking, it's the influx of "dark" mystery stories generally, with a focus so great on the story that the mystery is neglected, resulting in even further degradation of fairness. Even more specifically, I would characterize the fad as a nihilistic mystery, which either was caused by or is the cause of the reception Dangan Ronpa has received here. Of course, not all story cases follow that category (I can think of two exceptions), but a number do.
hershel_layton wrote:Oh yeah and Thally?

32. What do you think about Nightmare Before Christmas?
Not one of my favorite movies, but it isn't bad.
NihilisticNinja wrote:Congrats Enth. Not too MANY questions. For now.

1. So you were part of TGDK, are part of JR, and have been reading DR RP. Do you have any opinion on what the duty of a GM should be? As in, how far should their powers extend, and what should the relationship between player and GM be?

2. Who is your favorite DR character? DR2?

3. Who is your least favorite DR character? DR2?

4. Follow-up to a previous question: Are there any particular philosophical dialogues you have really enjoyed?

5. If you were forced to live in another country for the rest of your life, what would it be?

6. When constructing a case, what would you argue is the most important part?

7. Have you ever read any webcomics? If so, do you have a favorite?
1. The GM ought to help make the game fun, which is fairly obvious. I would argue that the GM out to be able to do anything in drastic conditions, although there should be a general rule of what the GM can do and should do. Some may prefer having the GM be able to let the players vote on if he/she should do something unorthodox to address that drastic problem, while others may prefer the GM just does as they want. I think the best option is situational. As for the GM-player relationship, that will also depend on the game. At the very least, the GM should be active in enforcing the rules, ensuring there are no disturbances, and performing all assigned duties. The problem is that "assigned duties" depends on the game. Contrast Justice Riders and The Great Detective Knows.
2. It's important to preface this by saying that I've only gotten as far as case 2 in SDR2. Anyways,
3. My least favorites are definitely Fukawa and Teruteru. I can't really explain Fukawa without majorly spoiling DR, but I think the reasons why should be obvious. As for Teruteru, he seemed to be a fairly one-dimensional pervert.
4. Mind you I haven't read too many, but my favorite so far is Nichomachean Ethics, although I'm also planing to read Eutyphro and Descarte's Meditations. (Although I'm already sure that I'll be tearing the latter to pieces.)
5. I'm not the most familiar with other countries, so I can't give a solid answer. England, perhaps, based solely on the fact that I was already there?
6. This question is unanswerable unless you add in other information, and adding said information reveals just how difficult of a question this is. For instance, with what attitude are we starting? Do we begin with the assumption that truth is ultimately unimportant, and we can have our protagonist be unconcerned with virtue? Do we begin with the assumption that thinking is unimportant, and a rather trivial matter, and that the game shouldn't guide players through thinking so much as providing the starting point and the "right" end point? (I hope the answer to both of those is no, by the way.) From there, you get into a host of other issues. Do you know what your design structure is? Is it good design structure? What of the mystery, its crime and reasoning? Are they fair? Are the story, plot and characters, interesting and ultimately going for something consistent with said truth and virtue? You quickly find that there are several points, and a wrong answer at any of them could damage the case substantially. I'm going to go with no solution on this one.
7. Usually ones that are linked in the xat. xkcd seemed good, though.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
NihilisticNinja
Spoken languages: English, Latin

Post by NihilisticNinja »

Enthalpy wrote:
Bad Player wrote: What if I told you the lolicebridge case also had a locked room in it?
Then I'd assume you were lying, regardless of any colored text.
It does Enth.

SPOILER: The solution is almost as dumb as lolicebridge
"With good friends by your side, anything is possible. If you really care for each other, it makes everyone stronger! Then you'll have the will to succeed! The world is filled with painful things, it's sad sometimes, and you won't be able to handle it by yourself. But just know: If there's someone that you love, you'll stay on the right path. And you won't ever give in! As long as you keep that person in your heart, you'll keep getting back up. Understand? That's why a Hero never loses!"
Miki by Hershey's Chocolate Bars.
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

I'd say the solution is more "simple" than "dumb". I think it's a lot more reasonable than most other locked room tricks :P
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Fine, favorite impossible non-locked room is... Turnabout Dilemma?
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Post by enigma »

Fun fact about XKCD. Did you know for a while, I genuinely believed you were the author of it? XP
eighthbit
Spoken languages: English

Post by eighthbit »

Enthalpy, congratulations!

Why do you always take a scientific method in doing everything? Effectiveness? Personal preference?
What movies are you most excited about?
What incomplete cases are you most excited about?
'Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.'
-Elbert Hubbard
SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

My least favorites are definitely Fukawa

YAY

ANTI-FUKAWA CLUB MEMBERS UNITE <3
Spoiler : SDR-1 :
Although while it's not like I like him or anything, I would disagree that Teruteru was a one-dimensional pervert: His final moments before being executed did a lot for his character, I thought.
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Oh yeah. What are your thoughts about SMBC (Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal)?

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

enigma wrote:Fun fact about XKCD. Did you know for a while, I genuinely believed you were the author of it? XP
That... is only half-surprising.
eighthbit wrote:Enthalpy, congratulations!

Why do you always take a scientific method in doing everything? Effectiveness? Personal preference?
What movies are you most excited about?
What incomplete cases are you most excited about?
A bit of both, honestly. I find it's fairly effective, and I also tend to think that way.
I don't watch that many movies, honestly... Uh, I think the second Hobbit is coming out in December? That sounds interesting.
Hope Springs Hotel, Turnabout Revolution, and Turnabout Dilemma.
SwagmaWampyr wrote:
My least favorites are definitely Fukawa

YAY

ANTI-FUKAWA CLUB MEMBERS UNITE <3
Spoiler : SDR-1 :
Although while it's not like I like him or anything, I would disagree that Teruteru was a one-dimensional pervert: His final moments before being executed did a lot for his character, I thought.
A large part of that choice is because there weren't very many bad options, and for most of the time, he was that. I may reread SDR2 to see if my thoughts on that character change, given the new information.
kwando1313 wrote:Oh yeah. What are your thoughts about SMBC (Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal)?
I liked most of the webcomics that you linked on the xat that one time.
eighthbit
Spoken languages: English

Post by eighthbit »

Which case had your favorite story?
Which case had your favorite ending?
Who's your favorite AAO Trial Character?
Which characters do you enjoy writing? (RP, Trials, doesn't matter.)
'Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.'
-Elbert Hubbard
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

eighthbit wrote:Which case had your favorite story?
Which case had your favorite ending?
Who's your favorite AAO Trial Character?
Which characters do you enjoy writing? (RP, Trials, doesn't matter.)
I'm going to say Substitution for fancases and Bridge to the Turnabout for official cases.
I'm going to say Substitution for fancases and Bridge to the Turnabout for official cases.
My first inclination is Maria, who appears in multiple Blackrune cases.
I can do fairly well with a lot of characters, as long as they're "good," or used for "good." I'll admit that I've liked Raphael from Justice Riders more than I thought I would, but I can't pin down why.