[T][AU]Shattered Glass ○★○○○ (Case 0 Teaser available)

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

TheDoctor
Spoken languages: English

[T][AU]Shattered Glass ○★○○○ (Case 0 Teaser available)

Post by TheDoctor »

Obligatory Disclaimer: This trial contains a crapload of stuff that was neither designed nor composed by me. I would like to thank the people at Capcom for creating the original artwork/music, and some of the people at Ace Attorney Online and Court-Records for some of the edited artwork.
This case is now featured!
The world we live in is filled with contradictions. However, some worlds only exist to contradict our own. In a world where prosecutors and defense attorneys are now on opposite sides of the courtroom, is it still possible for the truth to prevail?

It must be possible, for if not... Then what is the point to our existence?
Play in Firefox
Click the box art to play
Spoiler : Original Box Art :
Notes:
  • Pay attention to the sound and image loading bar as you start the case. Green means it's loaded, grey means it's loading, and reddish brown means part of it won't load at all. If you get reddish brown in either loading bar, please refresh the page. I'm not concerned with bandwidth issues; however, some trial writers are, so please be polite and make sure they don't have a warning on their trial page to avoid refreshing before you do that on someone else's trial.
  • Story Spoilers: AA, JFA, T&T (sort of, it's an alternate universe, so most story spoilers are kind of oblique).
  • Character Sprite Spoilers: AA, AJ, AAI
  • Music Spoilers: AA, JFA, AJ, AAI
  • Safari supports APNG now, but SVG fades do not work, so if you want the full experience, Firefox is required.
  • If you would like to play this in Chrome, follow the instructions in the spoiler below...
    Spoiler : Chrome instructions :
    You'll need to go to this link to download the APNG extension in order for some of the custom graphics to display correctly (You may have to check the "allow access to file URLs" option in settings, though. Not sure). Firefox and now Safari natively support APNGs, so no additional addons are required for those browsers. That said, Firefox is the only browser I know for sure will properly support the svg fades. Chrome currently does not, so if you want the full experience, Firefox is the best option
Shattered Glass: Turnabout Reversal is an alternate universe Ace Attorney game. Miles Edgeworth is a defense attorney, but he's not the only person whose role is reversed in this game. Expect surprises with a hint of familiarity.

(P.S. Turnabout Reversal is to be the start of a new series, so Case 1 difficulty is to be expected).
Spoiler : Credits :
Collaboration - lumine
Story consultation - Enthalpy
All music - Capcom
The majority of the backgrounds and sprites - Capcom
von Karma's forward facing sprites - Sligneris
von Karma's co-council sprites - Created by Capcom, edited by me.
Larry Butz's tilted head sprite - extension by naagloshii
Larry Butz's twitching sprite - extension by me
Extra Larry Butz sprites - Volty
Ema's casual outfit - Nicky Boy
Blushing Ema sprite - Hesseldahl
Extra defense attorney Edgeworth Sprites - Sligneris
Custom titles - me
Thought Route - me
svg fades - Ferdielance
Confetti gif was provided by jermynsoup. Not sure where he got it.
Spoiler : Soundtrack ~ contains spoilers :
Opening Theme: Ace Attorney ~ Prologue
Defendant's Lobby: Courtroom Lounge ~ Beginning Prelude
Dawn of Reversal: Great Revival ~ Miles Edgeworth
Court Begins: Apollo Justice ~ Trial
Truth of Shattered Lies: Mega Man X5 ~ Dr. Light
Logic and Deduction: Mega Man X: Command Mission ~ Place of Oblivion
Cross-Examination: Questioning ~ Moderato/Allegro 2007
Objection ~ Reversal of Contradiction: Mega Man X4 ~ Slash Beastleo Stage
Shattered Nerves: Suspense
Dick Gumshoe: P.I.: Keisuke Itonoko ~ Itonoko Geijissu
Thought Route of Glass: Mega Man X4 ~ Iris
Pursuit ~ Shattered Facade: Mega Man X5 ~ Opening Stage Zero
Recollection ~ Theme of Regret: Recollection ~ Forgotten Legend
Victory ~ Revelation of Truth: Solution! ~ Splendid Deduction
Confessions of an Attorney: Prosecutors Murmur ~ Until We Meet Again
Jingle ~ Never Gone for Long: Jingle ~ It Doesn't End Here
Spoiler : Walkthrough 1-1 :
First Cross-Examination:
Press this statement:
The victim's body, bleeding on the
floor.

Present Thinker Statue or Autopsy Report at this statement:
I also saw a bloody knife on the
floor. I believe it was the murder
weapon.

Second Cross-Examination:
Present Thinker Statue at this statement:
I quickly made him drop the weapon,
and then called the police so they
could come get this creep.

Select "There's still a problem" when asked:
(If the killer wore gloves, would
that invalidate my objection?)

Third Cross-Examination:
No contradictions here. Press all statements to proceed.

When asked the following:
(What should I do?)
Select "Present Evidence," then present Alleged Knife for extra dialogue.
Otherwise, select "Call a Witness," then present Ema Skye to proceed.

Fourth Cross-Examination:
Press the following statement:
The only areas that tested positive
were the floor where the victim
died, and the statue itself.

Press the following statement:
Later reports confirmed that this
was consistent with the wound and
the victim's blood type.

Press the following statement: (alternately, present the Map for some additional dialogue)
The only areas that tested positive
were the floor where the victim
died, and the statue itself.

Ask about the map to proceed. (Alternately, ask Ema how her day's been for additional dialogue)

Click the light blue spot on the map that isn't touching the victim or statue.

Present Alleged Knife at the following question:
Seriously, I mean, what else could
have caused that blood stain?

Thought Route:
You don't get penalized during this portion, so if you pick the wrong answer, just try again.

Select "No" at the following prompt to proceed. Select "Yes" for additional dialogue.
Are you suggesting the blood
belonged to the victim?

Select "Larry Butz" at the following prompt to proceed. Select any other option for additional dialogue.
So, who would you have us
believe the blood on the knife
belongs to?

Fifth Cross-Examination:
Present Anti-Depressants at the following statement:
She was a happy, healthy person,
cut down in the prime of her life,
and I had nothing to do with it!

Select "Some other reason" at the following prompt to proceed. Select "She was depressed" for additional dialogue.
Why were anti-depressants
prescribed to the victim?

Select "Rage" at the following prompt to proceed. Select anything else for additional dialogue.
Why don't you tell us what
symptom the victim was
suffering from?

Select "Raise an Objection" at the following prompt. The other option is an instant game over.
Wait a minute! He said he cut
himself eating steak! Surely
that would explain it?

Select "The Wound's Location" at the following prompt to proceed. If you have enough health to tank the hits, select other options for additional dialogue if you like.
Now what is it about the witness's
left-handedness that conflicts with
his story about the wound?

The correct answer to the following prompt is the Anti-Depressants:
Very well.
This is the conveniently
decisive piece of evidence!
***Coming Eventually***

1-2 ~ Shattered Glass: Turnabout Prosecutor
1-3 ~ Shattered Glass: Turnabout of Steel
1-4 ~ Shattered Glass: The Karmic Turnabout
1-5 ~ Shattered Glass: Vale, Versio Fiet (may combine with 1-4, depending how things go during development)

And as a bonus...

1-0 ~ Shattered Glass: Remnants of Turnabouts Past (a courtroom-only, prequel side story)
Last edited by TheDoctor on Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:12 am, edited 40 times in total.
Image Image Image
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter
Spoken languages: Yes.

Re: [T][Alternate Universe]Shattered Glass: Turnabout Revers

Post by Lind »

You know there is artwork of Young Franziska available, right?
TheDoctor

Re: [T][Alternate Universe]Shattered Glass: Turnabout Revers

Post by TheDoctor »

Where? I was trying to find it and I couldn't.

EDIT: As Ace Attorney Investigations has released in HD, Franziska's portrait has been updated. Click the spoiler tag to see the original box art.
Last edited by TheDoctor on Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
Gamer2002

Re: [T][AU]Shattered Glass: Turnabout Reversal -BETA

Post by Gamer2002 »

It's short and unfinished, so there isn't much to say besides that I love your Manfred Von Karma.
Spoiler : :
I wonder if we are gong to face prosecutor Mia Fey.
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

Thanks for the compliment. And as for your spoiler, you never know. ;)
Once I have the trial finished, I'll be posting a link to Part 2 as well as modifying Part 1 to automatically redirect you there at the right time.
Image Image Image
lumine

Post by lumine »

Since I playtested this and I'm helping you with the minor detail, I can vouch for the story's quality. It brings an original spin on AA.
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

Thank you so much. I just edited the first post to reflect your role in the project. Sorry I forgot to do it sooner.
Image Image Image
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

I finished the beta, and for a first-time case, this is extremely good. You have a solid grasp of the basics, from spelling and most presentation aspects to making a case with no massive logical leaps in the story. Bugs, spelling errors, and "Ace Attorney-ness" are fine. I never had issues figuring out what you were trying to say, the contradictions were simple but workable, or with illogic in the story, nor did things ever feel really off. Again, this is exceptional for a first trial, and I commend you for it.

That said, there still are some areas where improvement is necessary. While you have a firm understanding of fundamentals, I think you can (and should) go a bit further in developing the story or the mystery. From the story perspective, we don't know all that much about any of the characters involved here except the very basics. The personalities also seem thin and not particularly developed. This, combined with the similarities to 1-1, make the case somewhat uninteresting. (I'd also like to add that there are some pacing issues that I think would be helped if you more fleshed out the story beyond the trial itself.) In terms of mystery, although the contradictions themselves are fine, this lacks the feel that the defendant is in a tough spot, the feel of intensity. I would like to again note that most writers have problems with the fundamentals at this stage, and it is not expected as a new player that you will have done all these things, although they are all very important things to do.

If you want the summarized version, this is a very strong first step, but I feel that you are able to make something even stronger, and I would encourage you to do so.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Yo man, clever boxart, and congrats on a release!
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

Thank you both for your feedback. I appreciate it.

Regarding Enthalpy's comments, more of the backstory/mystery will be fleshed out in part 2, but I'll see what more I can do in part 1 as well. :)
Image Image Image
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

Legal double post:

Made a few adjustments to the trial.

First, I updated the timing on the majority of the dialogue. I also added in a little extra dialogue to help fix some of what Enthalpy was talking about. I also realized that it was never once explained what to do in case of a contradiction, so I fixed that to make it more accessible to new players.

Added some some credits and a titlescreen to the opening sequence.

Finally, I updated a good chunk of Edgeworth's sprites. I'm using some of Sligneris' sprites instead of/in addition to what I already have. (haven't made too much use of the new poses yet. That will come later.

EDIT: I also just moved von Karma's co-council sprites over to the right a bit, so now it looks more natural.
Image Image Image
Anyare
Spoken languages: ENG, FIL

Post by Anyare »

This was really interesting! I loved the concept, execution and all.
I'll be in a lurking in this thread from now on. Looking forward to part two! :)
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

Made a slight, but important edit...
I realized the prosecution's case against your client was kind of weak, so I bolstered it by making the murder weapon solid gold. Now there was something that the defendant would have obviously stolen assuming he did it.
Image Image Image
TheDoctor

Re: [T][AU]Shattered Glass: Turnabout Reversal (pt 2 out)

Post by TheDoctor »

Legal double post: Trial Latter has been released!
Image Image Image
Tap

Re: [T][AU]Shattered Glass: Turnabout Reversal (pt 2 out)

Post by Tap »

Thoughts!
This was an excellent trial... Congratulations in order for producing an excellent case when this is your first-time trial developing. It's disheartening to say it, but the standards for first-time trials, while they have improved by leaps and bounds thanks to the variety of detailed tutorials available now, many members still hold to preconceived perceptions about first-time trials. I should know, considering my first trial I ever developed was quickly shuffled under the rug by pretending it was a 'demo'. But Turnabout Reversal...? It has all the makings of a trial author who has taken all of the trial developing advice on board. And the result is a fun trial with an interesting premise that leaves us hanging for more. :wink:

Making AU cases is always fun. There is so much potential by flipping character roles around, changing personalities and turning canon on top of its head. Defense Attorney!Edgeworth is the perfect premise, one a number of authors have tried to do before, but never really got anywhere with it. That's why I'm pretty excited this case was a success. I hope it means you're planning to stick around further in the community and keep on developing. There's significant potential, and I can't wait to see where you go with it... The problem is trying to anticipate what might be coming around the corner next. Considering how much flexibility you have, anything could happen!

I thought the trial adapted 1-1's premise rather well, and added some interesting twists to it. 1-1 isn't the most exciting of cases, so the length of the case was just right. Characterisation was spot-on and the humour in the dialogue was well wrote. I enjoyed the slight jabs at the community with Von Karma's dismissal of Super Objections. He'd probably have a coronary if Edgeworth asked him about Supra-Objections... although it'd be a great scene. I also liked the 'Present Evidence - Fail' conversations that reused some of Edgeworth's classic lines from the Ace Attorney games, namely the 'Verily, Ergo' failure conversation. Those lines are always great, and I love how Edgeworth doesn't beat around the bush and admits he had nothing. The idea of 'meta-contradictions' also had me cracking up. :XD:

Thought Route was also a welcome addition to the case. It didn't feel particularly forced. The 'testimony graphics', centering of texts and proper text colours (orange) were also welcome additions. When I used to review trials, I was known for saying that sound, flash and shake effects are the bread and butter of trial authors. Flash and shake effects were noticeable, so that's good. I thought there could have been a couple more sound effects, particularly when the witnesses are shocked or 'damaged', or when Edgeworth shouts with the zoom background and the scrolling lines. The custom musics were also well chosen.
In a word... Approved. :wink:

(Oh, and you have a fantastic username!)
ImageImage