Misc. Questions

If you wish to contribute to the Ace Attorney Online Game Creation Engine open source project, or just know more about the way it is developed, this is the place.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Re: Misc. Questions

Post by Enthalpy »

I don't think forum CSS is on there, but I have the sneaking suspicion some forum capabilities are on there. I'll have to take an inventory of those when the semester dies down.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
mercurialSK
Spoken languages: English

Post by mercurialSK »

Cool...well, the code is there if someone wants to put it in XD (I'm using Stylish extension instead)

edit: The code breaks the login/logout button actually and I overlooked it being there...the correct css uses :hover:after.

Fixed:
mercurialSK wrote:

Code: Select all

#litetrialmanager div:hover:after {
    content: "";
    width: 100%;
    height: 3em;
    position: absolute;
}
Backlog: v6 Perceive generator, Apollo, everything else (My thread)
Someday, on AAO™: Chris Tenson: Ace Attorney & A Turnabout Called Justice (pt 2)
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

How do you handle commits that require editing the AAO tables? For example, a change I'm planning involves adding a new field to the users table to check if the user has agreed to the rules.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

Enthalpy wrote:What does 'default_value' in /includes/action_descriptions do, as on lines 404 and 408? A grep on 'default_value' shows no other code it relates to.
Well, it's supposed to be the default value of the parameter when this field is first displayed, before you set it.
However, checking the code, indeed it seems I forgot to read that - I'd probably have to dive again in the parameter editor to check how it currently works !

--

Regarding issue #106, nice spotting, I certainly forgot that design issue when paving the way for multiple dialogues.
To be honest, out of your approaches, I'd be more inclined to follow the 2nd.
I don't like the first because I don't like adding "fake semantics" to an element : the GoTo action shouldn't have context-based tweaks.
Regarding option 2, that's actually not such a big deal : during play, trial data is already edited (setting the "hidden" states on objects), and saving stores a diff of the edition. There is likely no big impact. However, I agree that it feels unnatural to modify the content of actions at runtime. Actions modifying actions... that's a layer of complexity that we should probably avoid until absolutely necessary.

My preferred approach would be to create a completely new action (ReturnToDialogue or something), and tweak the editor so that it fixes trials when this new action becomes necessary.
Typically, old trials would still work the same with the GoTo. However, the moment the author adds another dialogue in the scene, then the editor would make sure to overwrite this action to the new one.
This way, no change of semantics on the old action, no dynamic edition during playthrough, and no heavy "conversion" process : only a very small, localised conversion.

--

Regarding editing the AAO database... For now, I'd rather not, the V5 database is simply not very flexible and I don't want to have to update tables when I load a new version.
If you can't fit the data cleanly in the V5 database, it means I really should get around to designing the V6, with more extensible metadata support ^^

--

@mercurialSK : the forums code is not on the repository I released, indeed. I should open a new repository for development on the forum template that we use though, this is very true.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

And more work on my end to even out all the kinks in v6, so nobody needs to hang onto v5 anymore! In that case, I'll just make accepting the rules mandatory for every new trial. Given what I've seen, that may be necessary.

I'll add 106 to my list to straighten out.
AceAttorneyMaster111
Spoken languages: English, français, un poco de español, עברית

Post by AceAttorneyMaster111 »

Running the mocked install, is it possible to see trials in search.php that don't belong to you? I was thinking maybe the mock trial data, but I don't know how to put it in the install so it appears as a trial. (I want to do this for bug testing related to trial cards)
ThePaSch
Spoken languages: English, German (native)

Post by ThePaSch »

AceAttorneyMaster111 wrote:Running the mocked install, is it possible to see trials in search.php that don't belong to you? I was thinking maybe the mock trial data, but I don't know how to put it in the install so it appears as a trial. (I want to do this for bug testing related to trial cards)
As far as I know, the mocked install offers no user-related functionality whatsoever, so there can't be trials that don't belong to you since you're the only (mocked) user. There might be a way to "fake" it, but I can't say for certain.

Edit: It is, in fact, possible. You'll need an editor for SQLite databases, such as this one, and open the "db.sqlite" database in the mocked_install/phpbb_files directory. You'll have to add a new row to the "phpbb_users" table, give them a user type of 3 and a user name, then edit a row in the "liste_proces" table to change the "auteur" column to that new user's ID - and, to make the trial visible in a search, change the value of that trial's "jouable" column to 1.
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

This reminds me. Has anybody had a chance to test the full install, with phpBB 3.0?
AceAttorneyMaster111

ThePaSch wrote:
AceAttorneyMaster111 wrote:Running the mocked install, is it possible to see trials in search.php that don't belong to you? I was thinking maybe the mock trial data, but I don't know how to put it in the install so it appears as a trial. (I want to do this for bug testing related to trial cards)
As far as I know, the mocked install offers no user-related functionality whatsoever, so there can't be trials that don't belong to you since you're the only (mocked) user. There might be a way to "fake" it, but I can't say for certain.

Edit: It is, in fact, possible. You'll need an editor for SQLite databases, such as this one, and open the "db.sqlite" database in the mocked_install/phpbb_files directory. You'll have to add a new row to the "phpbb_users" table, give them a user type of 3 and a user name, then edit a row in the "liste_proces" table to change the "auteur" column to that new user's ID - and, to make the trial visible in a search, change the value of that trial's "jouable" column to 1.
I tried to edit the sqlite, and it worked, but because I'm an admin in the mocked install, I can still edit the trial.
Enthalpy wrote:This reminds me. Has anybody had a chance to test the full install, with phpBB 3.0?
I tried to download it, but I couldn't figure out how to install it. I successfully extracted it from the zip into an accessible folder, but I couldn't continue.
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

The best option for seeing what happens when you don't have editing rights would be to remove your admin status by editing config.php.

If I recall, phpBB install starts when you try to access any page in the directory through your mock server.
AceAttorneyMaster111

I tried that, but nothing happened.

I'll test the phpbb thing later.
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Are all the trials on your mock_install ones your mock account created?
AceAttorneyMaster111

Yes.

EDIT: Wait. There is only one trial, not created by "me", but created by the artificial user from the SQL database.
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

None of the code currently uses the debug_stacktrace module. Given how powerful in-browser debuggers are, why does AAO currently have this module?

(Also, debug_stacktrace is necessarily non-strict-compliant. Strict mode doesn't like arguments.callee, but one of the features of the program involves traversing arguments.callee.)
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

debug_stacktrace is a legacy from the time when the almighty browser debuggers still had limits : they could not debug what was happening in workers.
And since at the time I was trying to push the complex row map logic in a worker, I needed a way to know the cause of exceptions inside somehow.

Nowadays it's probably completely useless indeed.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )