[CE][C] Turnabout Turnabout ●

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

Spongesonic
Spoken languages: English

Re: [CE][C] Turnabout Turnabout ●

Post by Spongesonic »

Enthalpy wrote:
Spoiler : Bug Report :
It's the same bug with characters disappearing, sometime between yellow suited Payne appearing and Maya calling Phoenix a "loony" after her new defense attorney goes to the wrong courtroom.
Spoiler : :
Goddammit... I'm blaming Try for that, he made that ending...
Well, I found what should be the cause of the trouble. Is it fixed?
Winner of the "Broken Commandments" Case Competition
-------
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥
Love should be genderless.
If you agree, please add this to your signature.

Misc. Information
Steam: spongesonic
Youtube: SpongesonicPictures
DarkNinja505

Post by DarkNinja505 »

I... what is this.
I clicked on NO in the first choice for fun, and it got weird. I clicked Ready for the second, it got bizarre. Then pointed out that the knife was Edgeworth's in the first CE, and... wow.
This trial has reached a threshold of insanity far beyond the witch trials of PLvsPW.
Last edited by Enthalpy on Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added spoiler tags.
Trybien

Post by Trybien »

the.armenator wrote:Pointing out a slight typo here.
(It won't let me attach anything...? So I'll put it in quotes.)
"Pssssh... who cares if --------- doesn't have their usual infatuation with *Prosecutor* Edgeworth?"
Um... a little more context for which frame you are referring to would help. I'm not aware of anyone saying quote that in this case. If you want to show an image of the frame, you can take a screenshot of it and host it on a file sharing site or use the upload attachment feature under the submit button.
Spongesonic IN COURT wrote:
Enthalpy wrote:
Spoiler : Bug Report :
It's the same bug with characters disappearing, sometime between yellow suited Payne appearing and Maya calling Phoenix a "loony" after her new defense attorney goes to the wrong courtroom.
Goddammit... I'm blaming Try for that, he made that ending...
Well, I found what should be the cause of the trouble. Is it fixed?
...oops I guess? Leave it to me to break the trial.... again...
DarkNinja505 wrote:
I... what is this. I clicked on NO in the first choice for fun, and it got weird. I clicked Ready for the second, it got bizarre. Then pointed out that the knife was Edgeworth's in the first CE, and... wow. This trial has reached a threshold of insanity far beyond the witch trials of PLvsPW.
There is some information in your post that really should be in spoiler tags. If you could, please edit your post and add spoiler a spoiler tag. Anyways, I hope you enjoy the rest of the trial!
Winner of the “Broken Commandments” Case Competition
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

It happened again, ending where
we accuse Larry of being the dog
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Spongesonic

Post by Spongesonic »

Enthalpy wrote:It happened again, ending where
we accuse Larry of being the dog.
You've gotta be kidding me... >_>
Once again, I blame Try.
-------
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥

Misc. Information
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

It was fun, though not as creative and gloriously bad as the winner. No doubt that getting all those endings required lots of work.
But you didn't explain why Maya was calling Pears Trucy as well ;P
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

After a lot of bug hunting, I finished the game. Thoughts are below the cut, and I alluded to this somewhat on the Discord channel last night.
Playing this case gave me a very similar feel to when I played I Wanna Be The Turnabout, an entry from the trolling competition six years ago. It's inspired by I Wanna Be The Guy, and is sadism far past what even Turnabout of Courage can deliver. I was surprised when I made the connection, because this case is not intended to be sadistic in the slightest. After a while, the connection hit me: the similarity wasn't in what they were trying to be, but in the effect it had on me.

The jokes in this trial were hit or miss for me. Maggie's costume switching, calling Pearl "Trucy" and Garbulfunkancle didn't work, but the idea of a dog as a witness for the prosecution did get a laugh out of me, as did Edgeworth's oddly specific denial of recognizign the blade in his testimony. As the trial wore on, the jokes started to wear on me. Is this just not my style of humor? Well, possibly. Humor is notoriously difficult to analyze. Either way, when the jokes became a bore to get through, I was left to plow/lawnmower through the trial in order to get to the true 19th ending. Which reminds me a lot of how I played IWBTT, just trying to make it to the end.

The other connection is in how I played the cross-examination section. Both cases have case logic that is so bizarre that turns into a game of reading the authors' minds. Do we tell the judge we're ready or not? It's a mind-reading exercise. How do we know to prove Larry is the witness by saying the only male (human or otherwise) whose appearance he would compliment is his own? Mind-reading. How do we know that although we couldn't prove the knife was Edgeworth's before, we can now due to a hyper-literal and absurd reading of the description in the Court Record? Mind-reading. This was common throughout the trial and also led me to lawnmower through the case, since I could tell that trying to think through it wouldn't work. I probably could have tolerated this if the jokes worked for me, but they didn't. When you combine those together, it's no wonder that the case reminds me of IWBTT.

One other thing that puzzled me. The early parts of the case seemed to be satirizing AA cliches, like the "I believe in you" speech, but this was dropped by the end of the first testimony. Was there a reason for this, or was the satire never intended at all?
To anybody looking to see if this is worth a play, this isn't a bad case, but it is a hit-or-miss case. Give it 15 minutes, and if you aren't liking it then, you probably won't.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Southern Corn
Spoken languages: English, Bad Jokes

Post by Southern Corn »

Enthalpy wrote:After a lot of bug hunting, I finished the game. Thoughts are below the cut, and I alluded to this somewhat on the Discord channel last night.
Playing this case gave me a very similar feel to when I played I Wanna Be The Turnabout, an entry from the trolling competition six years ago. It's inspired by I Wanna Be The Guy, and is sadism far past what even Turnabout of Courage can deliver. I was surprised when I made the connection, because this case is not intended to be sadistic in the slightest. After a while, the connection hit me: the similarity wasn't in what they were trying to be, but in the effect it had on me.

The jokes in this trial were hit or miss for me. Maggie's costume switching, calling Pearl "Trucy" and Garbulfunkancle didn't work, but the idea of a dog as a witness for the prosecution did get a laugh out of me, as did Edgeworth's oddly specific denial of recognizign the blade in his testimony. As the trial wore on, the jokes started to wear on me. Is this just not my style of humor? Well, possibly. Humor is notoriously difficult to analyze. Either way, when the jokes became a bore to get through, I was left to plow/lawnmower through the trial in order to get to the true 19th ending. Which reminds me a lot of how I played IWBTT, just trying to make it to the end.

The other connection is in how I played the cross-examination section. Both cases have case logic that is so bizarre that turns into a game of reading the authors' minds. Do we tell the judge we're ready or not? It's a mind-reading exercise. How do we know to prove Larry is the witness by saying the only male (human or otherwise) whose appearance he would compliment is his own? Mind-reading. How do we know that although we couldn't prove the knife was Edgeworth's before, we can now due to a hyper-literal and absurd reading of the description in the Court Record? Mind-reading. This was common throughout the trial and also led me to lawnmower through the case, since I could tell that trying to think through it wouldn't work. I probably could have tolerated this if the jokes worked for me, but they didn't. When you combine those together, it's no wonder that the case reminds me of IWBTT.

One other thing that puzzled me. The early parts of the case seemed to be satirizing AA cliches, like the "I believe in you" speech, but this was dropped by the end of the first testimony. Was there a reason for this, or was the satire never intended at all?
To anybody looking to see if this is worth a play, this isn't a bad case, but it is a hit-or-miss case. Give it 15 minutes, and if you aren't liking it then, you probably won't.
Pretty much. This whole case for me was more exasperating to get through than the other two entries (though I still had some fun moments, like in ending 18 where
Spoiler : Ending 18, obviously :
everything goes crazy and Phoenix and Payne swap places and "The Defendant's Fingerprints" comes up)
but for the most part this was just a collecthaton of endings which you just get to see the true ending but even the true end was a bit blergh to me. The humour itself was more "lolrandom" to me here whereas the other two had more carefully crafted moments, like
Spoiler : Turnabout in Payne and Suffering :
de Killer turning into all sorts of stuff which turns out to be just Payne's delusions
and
Spoiler : Professor Layton and the Heavenly Scheme :
Kristoph covering himself with red cards to not be spotted by Godot.
Overall, my favourite part of the case is definitely the introduction of the prosecution. It's just so beautifully accurate :maggey:

The judge also has my favourite lines here and steals the show a lot, which I wasn't expecting. Honestly, I like your rendition of him here than in the actual AA games.
applekitty

Post by applekitty »

I played this in call with two others. Second time playing this case, and I enjoyed it. Here's the full two hour playthrough. I really appreciate how many endings there are in this, and how the Bracelet mechanic works. Lots of work put into those redirects, I can tell.
ImageImageImage
Msipp26

Post by Msipp26 »

you know it actually is possible to be stabbed in the esophagus, you know, through the neck.
:dekiller:
just a guy with a lot of ideas but who isn't very good at executing them.

THERE ARE MYSTERIES OTHER THAN LOCKED ROOMS, YOU GUYS. NOT EVERY CASE HAS TO BE A LOCKED ROOM MYSTERY.

comment "Danganronpa chapter 3" on any trial with more than one murder
Spongesonic

Post by Spongesonic »

Msipp26 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:00 am you know it actually is possible to be stabbed in the esophagus, you know, through the neck.
Ah, finally someone comments on that. It's a reference to an old embarrassment of mine that I've long since deleted ^^;
Also, I was told after making it that... no, not it's not
-------
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥

Misc. Information
GuardianDreamer
Spoken languages: English, Spanish

Post by GuardianDreamer »

Hi hello I played this, I thought it was pretty funny and I liked it. My main critique is that I felt like the later alternate endings weren't as good as the earlier ones (the earlier ones felt more in-depth and punchy), though I understand this was made under a time limit. Was very impressed by how much was done with the concept in so little time.
Hosted The Year of Luigi competition (and here's the awards ceremony).
Current AAO projects (to be completed eventually, probably, hopefully): A Silly Little Dream (hopefully 2024), My Dearest Direst Disgrace (hopefully 2025)
Stuff I've made on here: QotU
Make My Life Worse
Malleus Maleficarum: The Witch of San Ignacio
The Six Transgender Lesbian Goddesses of Love Are Having A Petty Argument, So They Try To Settle Things Alongside The Three Transgender Gay Gods of Flavor
Defend Him, Not Me!
The Guardian and the Dreamer
I was a guest judge and did a bit of writing for the TICKING TIME BOMB competition.
My Twitter is here
Avatar is of Marth from Fire Emblem, commissioned from @PiyoStoria on Twitter.