Development News: Last news did say "someday", you know...

Read and comment on the latest community news and site updates.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Development News: Last news did say "someday", you know...

Post by Unas »

Development news
Last news did say "someday", you know...
Hi everyone,

As crazy as it may sound, an update to AAO has just been released.
Yes, more than one year after we announced a more open development cycle; and almost two years after the last release. I know, I know, we definitely have some progress to make on that part.

Now, regarding the contents of today's update, here is the list of contributions that are included.

New features:
  • You can now have characters slide and fade in and out. (Unas)
    This feature is accessible in the screen editor, using the new "Appearance animation" and "Disappearance animation" when you set a a character from the frame.
    • Appearance animation is played on this frame if your character wasn't already present on the scene. (else, it is ignored)
    • Disappearance animation is set to be played whenever your character leaves the scene. (Typically, on the next frame that has the "Hide previously shown characters" option ticked, or when another character takes his place.)
  • The AAO font now supports Greek characters. (Nicky Boy)
Bugfixes:
  • Issue #165: Using nonlinear transitions will no longer cause characters to disappear. (Unas)
  • Issue #172: A bug in converting v5 to v6 trials with non-integer lifebar commans has been fixed. The values are now set to integers. (Enthalpy)
  • Issue #174: A bug in converting v5 to v6 trials with commands to redirect to frame "0" of another trials will now go to the first frame, rather than ending the game. (Enthalpy)
  • Fixed a bug preventing searching for a trial title with special characters. (Enthalpy)
  • Fixed bugs with Apollo's and Iris's sprites. (Enthalpy)
  • Added names for Bright Age of the Law characters to the editor. (Enthalpy)
  • Fixed a bug in the editor where resetting the startup duration of a sprite will cause it to vanish. (Enthalpy)
The full diff is here, for those of you interested in the code.

I will be working with Enthalpy to try to be more reactive, and have future updates more regularly.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Re: Development News: Last news did say "someday", you know.

Post by Enthalpy »

Hooray for updates!

We (ThePasch and I) are going to make an effort to get on a more consistent schedule. If you want to help out, post in the developer forum or send me a PM.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
ClaudiaMelodia
Spoken languages: English

Post by ClaudiaMelodia »

Awesome to log on and see new stuff. The fade in feature is definitely really appreciated. thank you very much for this! :lotta: :jake: :pearlhappy:
123fendas
Spoken languages: Svenska, English

Post by 123fendas »

This is tremendously good :redd:
ClaudiaMelodia

Post by ClaudiaMelodia »

Hey, I was working on a case and I noticed after the update a large chunk of my frames start with this little "pause" for like 2 seconds before the typing begins. they are kinda disturbing the timing of my text writing... I was just wondering if this was a deliberate choice or a bug? And if its not a bug could you tell me how to stop it from happening? thank you!
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Thanks for the feedback.

A 2-second pause ? This is definitely not intended.
There was a refactoring of the display engine that improves synchronisation to reduce flickering, and this can introduce some waiting (as it waits for more events to be ready before triggering them all at once). But 2 seconds is a huge chunk of time - I would rather suspect that some of your images weren't preloaded correctly and that these 2 seconds are the time it takes to download them.

Can you be a bit more specific ?
I'd need to :
- Have an example trial where you see the issue,
- Know if you see this issue in all trials, or only one or a few specific ones,
- Have more details about when the pause occurs exactly. Normally, for each frame, the player displays in order : the place (background), then the characters, then the textbox. Where does the wait time appear in your case ? All characters are already displayed, and it waits until typing ?
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Super legenda
Spoken languages: Español e Ingles

Post by Super legenda »

I also now have a bit of delay in some frames, the background and the character appears, but it takes a bit to load the text, which takes away a lot of the sync.
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Super legenda wrote:I also now have a bit of delay in some frames, the background and the character appears, but it takes a bit to load the text, which takes away a lot of the sync.
Again, can we have a specific example? Giving us a link to a trial and a frame number would be very helpful.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
ClaudiaMelodia

Post by ClaudiaMelodia »

Okay so I popped into the editor and starting creating a random fresh trial.

http://aaonline.fr/player.php?trial_id=110042

so no text timing or pauses were added, yet the last 3 or 4 "still godot" lines seem to have some sort of start-up delay.

but this is a pretty big difference to how it was working before the update, I'd be surprised if you didn't pop into one of your own trials and notice a huge difference with how each frame is timed.

Anyways, do you guys see the issue? The first few lines of dialogue dont have any pause at the start, but for some reason the next few frames (which were unchanged from the first 2 that DONT pause) seem to have the startup buffer. is it showing up for you guys, do you see what I mean?
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Thanks for the report, Claudia. ThePasch and I have confirmed the delay.

For those of you who like technical details, the issue appears to happen when this line runs. The investigation is ongoing!
Nicky Boy
Spoken languages: Ελληνικά, English

Post by Nicky Boy »

Yay for updates, and nice to see that you used the greek font! I was about to ask about that, too.
Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Tiagofvarela
Spoken languages: English, Portuguese

Post by Tiagofvarela »

It's fine to post here to say how stoked I am to see the site getting updates right? This is great!
A Laggy Turnabout ★
A Batty Turnabout ★
A Tricky Turnabout ★
Upcoming: A Worldly Turnabout, A Courtly Turnabout, A Clumsy Turnabout, A Needy Turnabout
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Tiagofvarela wrote:It's fine to post here to say how stoked I am to see the site getting updates right? This is great!
It's encouraged.

Glad to hear it! There should be another small update soon to fix the two issues introduced in this last update. Maybe something extra, maybe not.
clcman

Post by clcman »

Just wanted to leave a post giving thanks to you, Lord Unas, for all of the good times that have been possible because of this site. We'll gladly take any improvements to the editor that you can offer.
What do REAL, NON-BRIBED people have to say about HTB!?
"This really changed the way I thought about Phoenix as a character. ...Wow." - Reecer6
"HTB! contains truths that might be hard to stomach, but had to be unveiled nonetheless." - Blackrune
"This deserves a best plot twist award." - Evo
"It changed my life, and it can change yours too. For the better, I mean." - Calvinball
"I will never look at Phoenix Wright the same way again" - PhoenixRises123
"omg best thing on aao" - AceAttorneyMaster111
DISCOVER THE TRUTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU DIDN'T KNOW IN HTB! PROLOGUE AND PART 1, AVAILABLE NOW!!

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -Isaac Asimov
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." -H. L. Mencken
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Well, thank you for being patient, because I'm not so proud of not updating for almost 2 years xD
Also, I'm not the only one to thank, now : it's thanks to Enthalpy, ThePaSch and all other contributors that we can keep bringing updates - because as far as I'm concerned, I'm no longer developing AAO actively :-)
ImageImageImage