[T] "Ace Attorney Memories" ●○○○

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

Hisame
Spoken languages: English, Brazilian Portuguese

[T] "Ace Attorney Memories" ●○○○

Post by Hisame »

The first series of games that I'm starting in AAO. :redd:
Each episode's story is based on the canon games, and I'm attempting to make this series like "an Ace Attorney game that was never released".

Episode 1 - The Stolen Turnabout, Again
Spoiler : :
Link: http://aaonline.fr/player.php?trial_id=113795
Based on Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney.
Episode 2 - Elevator to the Turnabout (TEASER) Make sure you've played the original trilogy and Apollo Justice before trying this series.
Also, if you finish playing an episode, please reply so that I know what you thought of it. :larry:

When I finish more episodes, I'll edit this post.
Last edited by Hisame on Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Re: "Ace Attorney Memories"

Post by Enthalpy »

I opened up your case, but there's a small problem. Many of your images are hosted on sites that aren't designed for hotlinking. In some cases, the sites will let the images appear anyways... but that eats the other sites' bandwidth and is considered quite rude. In other cases, the sites disable your images, so I can't even see them in your trial.

In particular, you are linking images directly from court-records.net the Ace Attorney Wikia and using Discord as a makeshift filehost. Please use a dedicated image hosting site to host your images instead, so we can see the images. I've found imgur.com a great host.

I'm looking forward to playing this, once that issue is fixed.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Hisame

Post by Hisame »

Oh, that's okay.

I'll close it for now to fix that problem then when I finish, I'll announce it here.
Hisame

Post by Hisame »

I suppose everything is right now, so I already reopened the case. (I fixed both the images and audio.)
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Re: [T] "Ace Attorney Memories" ●○○○

Post by Enthalpy »

Now that I'm not doing any QA reviews, I was about to start playing this.

Quick question, why do you recommend Chrome for this? AAO should work fine on both Chrome and Firefox. Is there a problem with AAO on Firefox, is there some special graphic you're using that is struggling on Firefox, have you not tested on Firefox, something else...?
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Hisame

Post by Hisame »

It's because I tested some parts of the case in Firefox and some sprites and animations seemed to be a little "delayed" in the browser, while in Chrome they were running smoothly. I don't know how I could explain it better, but that's basically it.
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Well, I'll play the case in Firefox and see if I notice anything. If you could give me specific examples (good: specific frame numbers and telling me which animations to look for; best: if you can take a recording of your screen and share that to me), that would help me see if I can do something to make this play better in Firefox.
Hisame

Post by Hisame »

I replayed the parts of the case where I remembered that the animations were delayed again in Firefox but didn't notice anything, actually. Perhaps I was just having lag before. So I don't think there's anything wrong with the browser anymore.

However, I suppose I'll keep my recommendation to play the game in Google Chrome just in case (also because I personally always test the trials in that browser, and nothing seems wrong with it). Still, there's no problem if the player wants to use another browser.
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

I gave this trial a play a couple weeks ago, but never actually posted my review. (To make a long story short, life got hectic.)
First off, I like the idea of trying to incorporate Apollo's perceive mechanic into AAO. I thought that the way you set up the buttons to click worked out perfectly fine. I am a little worried about what might happen with this mechanic in future pieces. Most players know by now that Adrian fiddles with her book, so you might need custom sprites for this. If you haven't already, look at the random characters topic.

But what I like the most is the story idea. The "underlying story" is a huge part of the canon games, but it's not one that has received much attention in fanworks. But to me, it makes the difference between an okay case and a great case. The story idea about a woman following bureaucratic procedure, somebody dying as a result, and the consequences of that is a really good idea for an AA case. For some reason I couldn't place on a first read, the story didn't come off quite as strongly as I felt it should have. If you want, I can re-play it to try and point out ways that I think the story could have shone more, but hat would take my time. I'd be happy to do it if it would help you (I'll learn something in the process), so let me know if that's something you want.
Hisame

Post by Hisame »

Thank you for playing the game and revealing your opinion about it, especially with so much detail. After all, such reviews and also constructive criticism are indeed really helpful for me to do better in the next projects. :maggey:
About the perceive system, I had the idea to make one from scratch to add something new to AAO games, as I noticed that the engine doesn't have its own system at the moment. However, I did find out that the system was somewhat limited, as I needed to have more sprites in order to increase the amount of "nervous habits" the witnesses could have. Despite that, I don't feel like I need to worry about it for now since I plan to make each game of the series have the player to control a different character (meaning that Apollo won't return in the series).

Also, I can understand that "the story didn't come off quite as strongly" as you felt it should have, because I really didn't put all of my potential in this case. That's because I was still learning to use the editor, plus I hadn't planned the story from the beginning (I thought more of it after every chapter I had finished). In result, most of the contradictions, characters and even the motive/story behind the crime were randomly made.

Because of this, I already planned everything for the next episode and the only thing left to do in order to finish it is adding the scenes, dialogues and puzzles to it. :pearlhappy:
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Aaaaah, yeah, you wouldn't need to worry about it for now, right.

Looking forward to the next episode, then!
Diyarhan
Spoken languages: Turkish, English

Post by Diyarhan »

I played your case and i wasn't expecting this case will be good. The percieve, fingerpint or Letter mechanics were so good. You should improve the story a bit the second case. I am looking forward to play it!
Hisame

Post by Hisame »

Thank you for sharing your opinion about the case! :pearlhappy:

As for the second episode, it has been several months since I began working on it, however only 50% is complete at the moment. I don't know how much time it will take to finish, since I'm always busy with schoolwork and other projects (I have a bad habit of starting too many projects at once, which leaves me confused later since I have a lot of things to work on).

Despite that, I can assure that both the story and challenges behind the new episode came out way better. :armstrong:
Vats
Spoken languages: English

Post by Vats »

:larry: cool
Vats
Spoken languages: English

Post by Vats »

hey what are all the emojis