Into the Takumi-Verse! Results!

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Samallama
Spoken languages: English

Re: Turnabout Cat in a Box by BadJoe (Sama's review)

Post by Samallama »

Turnabout Cat in a Box by BadJoe

Spoiler : Screenshot :

Ahahahaha… that’s so silly… imagine that…
Spoiler : Synopsis :

Defence attorney Apollo Justice is presented with his latest case, defined by his boss Godot as a ‘Level 5 mission’. This mission, once he chooses to accept it, entails defending a university student on the suspicion of killing a teacher. But being a level 5 mission… something that Apollo has never faced before, this defendant is no normal university student of course… he is in fact secretly the heir of a crime family. Apollo may have to leave his laid-back lawyer attitude at the door for once if he doesn’t want to feel the wrath of The Scarlet Foxes...
Spoiler : Review :

Story: I have to be completely transparent about my feelings on this case because if I don’t… well I feel like I might just explode.

This is one of my favourite things I have ever played on AAO.

I had no clue what to expect from this case with BadJoe being a veteran member of AAO who had never released a case before. At the beginning of this competition, he was quite active on the AACD discord server but after a while, he appeared less and less and I got worried,,, I made the assumption that he was just gonna be another one of those users who out of the blue sign up to a comp only to drop out at the end after not really doing anything. After not hearing from him for a while I then got a DM from him apologising about how he hadn’t been working on the case because of laziness and I wholeheartedly empathised with this sentiment, (being too lazy/busy to finish working on any of my projects oops) at this point though, to be frank, I was expecting a half baked, half-assed case…

…but this couldn’t be further from the truth. I absolutely loved it. Talk about a dark horse.

Now, I will say the mystery is on the weaker side of things, only really being a set-up so far, but a good set-up nonetheless. What makes this case shine so blindingly though, is the amount of flavour text, fluff and character building that sets up the characters of the universe so incredibly well that I was immediately hooked from the beginning and this interest only increased and increased as the case went on, to the point that I actually cried real tears when the demo ended… I don’t know if these were tears of joy, sadness or just utter shock and awe at what I just played (or maybe the hot chocolate coffee abomination I drank last night had some side effects…), all I know is that this case made me feel things.

Characters: I absolutely loved every character in this case. But the funny thing about this is, that I didn’t like them in the usual way you would expect. These characters are so unlikeable, they are either incredibly pompous, rude or lazy jerks and all absolute LOSERS, but they are written so well and are so silly that their unlikability just makes them charming beyond my comprehension. The character writing of this case absolutely oozes with rizz and I feel like by saying that I’m still not giving it enough credit. There are very few characters introduced in this case but they are all so rich with personality, so vastly distinct from one another that there didn’t need to be a huge cast because they have enough character combined to make up for it. And you know what the best part about all these characters is… THEY ARE ALL ALTERED CANON CHARACTERS. I KNOW RIGHT??? LIKE WHAT??? BadJoe took some of the most bland ass characters from the infamous Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney and gave them life with his writing and I can’t believe I'm saying this, but I prefer all of these characters to their canon counterparts. Apollo is a protagonist that I normally find incredibly boring but I absolutely loved BadJoe’s characterisation of him being a laid-back slacker who stays up late to binge-watching kid's TV shows and openly complains to his boss about how terrible he is. Some of these canon characters have been changed to less of an extent (still for the better in my opinion) but some of their personalities have been flipped completely on their head but I don’t want to spoil them by talking about them because I was just so utterly taken aback that I want people to have the same reaction I did. I loved all these characters a lot and picking just a single screenshot for this case was incredibly difficult as there are just so many incredible lines and funny moments that made me laugh out loud so hard that I felt delusional and couldn’t believe what I was playing.

Presentation: The presentation of this entry is by no means perfect but I want to say that in comparison to how much I enjoyed the other aspects of this case, these issues seem so insignificant. But I am at foremost a judge and a nit-picky Nancy at that, so I will point them out anyway.

There were a few typos here and there, sometimes missing closed brackets during thought dialogue, a lack of shakes, improper use of fading that failed to consider foreground objects, one character's nameplate changes from ??? to their name before they are properly introduced and one piece of evidence lacked any kind of description.

The music choices in this case were just so peculiar but somehow so perfect at the same time. BadJoe uses a mixture of rap, jazzy lyrical songs, epic orchestral tracks, and some very campy music. But despite how conflicting these genres are they somehow synergised perfectly?? I have to admit that sometimes reading the dialogue was difficult when at the same time my brain was trying to focus on the lyrics of songs but after a while I got used to it and it was no longer a problem. I recently got into the Persona series and have kinda gone down a hyper fixation rabbit hole with it and the use of lyrical songs in this case reminded me of the series I love so dearly that I couldn’t help but be ecstatic by the similar audio choices used.

As I’ve already said this case only uses canon characters and none of their sprites have been altered in any way nor have any extra poses added. Normally I am a sucker for OCs but the lack of them in this case… just really didn’t matter to me because the characters' personalities felt original enough.

But this case isn’t completely devoid of custom assets, oh no no no. There are a few custom backgrounds used that are very nice and I assume they were sourced by BadJoe from one of the numerous amounts of free to use background packs online… but I have to say both these backgrounds fit the style of Ace Attorney really well, not being too realistic or cartoony nor too oversaturated or undersaturated with items that can oftentimes make examine sections difficult.

Ok… I may have lied a littol… There is one ‘character’ in this case that is not canon… but it’s complicated as they’re not exactly… a person. You see, in this Takumi-Verse Godot is an inventor, (think inspector gadget) famous for creating various gadgets and gizmos including an incredibly charming artificial intelligence called G.H.O.S.T.I. Being an AI, GHOSTI’S physical form is limited to appearing on a TV monitor that displays nothing but their emotions with amateurishly drawn but very cute expressions that are very reminiscent of commonly used internet emoticons that I am personally a huge fan of including UWU, -_-, T-T and XD. Although this is in no way outstanding in terms of custom assets, I still found GHOSTI’s portrayal to be incredibly charming with a LOT of personality.

Gameplay: In its submitted state, this case is purely an investigation. Like I said before, the mystery hasn’t had the chance to be fully introduced yet, so the gameplay itself was mostly all flavour text, but did such an excellent job at worldbuilding and setting up the characters. In the first section of the case there’s flavour text for every single piece of evidence/ profile that you can present for two different characters which was all incredibly funny and really just AHHHH gave so much backstory and charm to the characters. There is also a lot of examining dialogue that was all really well written and decently long without feeling like it dragged on. Now, I will say after this first part the flavour text is more sparse, but this doesn’t feel like an unnatural shift because for at least one of the instances, there’s a super valid reason why you can’t present to the person or examine the area and for the other instance it did just feel unnecessary to present as if Apollo was trying to be professional I guess (one thing I will say is that for one of the characters, the default dialogue of Apollo being like “You dumbass! I shouldn’t be presenting this now!” is said out loud for some reason… I don’t think this was intentional…). But overall, the lack of flavour text in the latter part of the case can be forgiven because it is so smartly dealt with that it comes across as incredibly natural in the moment.

As for a new game mechanic BadJoe invented a creative new use for Apollo’s bracelet that instead of giving him the ability to perceive when others are lying, allows him to store his own memories in a way that if he is presented with information that contradicts one of these memories, even if he doesn’t fully recall it, his subconscious affects the bracelet in some way causing it to tell him that there is a contradiction. I’d describe this mechanic as almost like a ‘Spidey sense’ for short-term memories that have been stored, but we can’t fully consciously recall. Now, the bracelet doesn’t work perfectly so you get shown a bunch of memories that may create a contraction, some of which literally have nothing to do with the statement (which served for some extra humour), but one or two that do, so it’s your job as a player to use those deduction skills you’ve honed after playing so many Ace Attorney cases to choose the memory that contradicts the statement. I really liked this new mechanic despite its simplicity and I also loved the explanation and how clearly it was presented. Although this mechanic only comes up once in this case so far, it is clear that as the story continues it will be a recurring feature.

Theme Relevance: Despite having to debate with myself over theme relevance with a lot of these entries, in this instance the decision was easy. This case is perfectly theme relevant. It reimagines characters in a way that ranges from quite different to extremely different from their canon counterparts in terms of personality and profession in some cases, whilst still having the vibes of the original characters that we all know and love… but in this case, I think I liked these characters more than their canon counterparts.

As for the gameplay side of things I’ve already gushed about the game mechanic enough, so I think the conclusion that this aspect of theme relevance is achieved is already abundantly clear.
Spoiler : Overall :

PROS
One of the best things I’ve ever played on AAO.
Actually made me cry real tears after playing.
Incredibly well-written and funny dialogue with a bunch of flavour text.
Absolutely awful characters that I loved, even more than their canon counterparts.
Really well explained, creative and nicely presented game mechanic.

CONS
Some presentation issues.
Mystery aspect of this case is yet to be fully fleshed out.
Too short… I WANT MORE!!(If you don’t continue working on this case after the comp is over and I never get to find out what happens I will find you and I-)
Last edited by Samallama on Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
DeathByAutoscroll

Re: Turnabout Cat in a Box by BadJoe

Post by DeathByAutoscroll »

Turnabout Cat in a Box
By BadJoe
Look, the only screenshot that could fit the current screenshot theme was too wild out of context, so instead just listen to some smooth jazz for 10 seconds while looking at this cat until you're ready to read the rest of the review.
Apollo Justice must take on a Level 5 mission to prevent a potential international incident

Story: After TimeAxis made me feel old with their entry, BadJoe is here to make me feel young again. Coming back after a resounding 10 years of lurking the AAO forums and fancases, BadJoe decided to open up the editor for the first time and create an absolute banger. Turnabout Cat in a Box is structured like an Apollo Justice investigation, complete with an in-engine intro cutscene and monologue. TCiaB ends just before the main investigation itself can begin, with BadJoe promising to continue working on TCiaB and complete the full case.

Characters: The characters in TCiaB are almost exclusively altered canon characters, both in terms of personality and sometimes professions, with one OC. Every single character oozes so much personality in all of their dialogue and actions: from our hot headed anime loving, locked-room-mystery obsessed punching bag protagonist Apollo Justice; to their rich, egotistical and secret cat enjoyer boss Billionaire Inspector Godot; and their absolutely troll AI assistant GHOSTI, among others left unnamed. It is genuinely difficult to pick a favourite character from the currently playable and unplayable cast of glorious exaggerated weirdos.

Presentation: TCiaB excels with its presentation; utilising a mixture of canon and custom elements. BadJoe blends together many factors to give TCiaB the feeling of a case from Apollo Justice while still firmly asserting itself as a fan made game. The writing within TCiaB is mostly light hearted goofiness with the more serious and dramatic moments sprinkled it amongst them. This is best exemplified by the pre-intro to the case, where a narrator dramatically and mysteriously tells you to forget everything you know about the canon AA universe and prompts you if you're ready, before shoving a picture of a cat in your face for 10 seconds if you refuse. Dialogue is accompanied by minimal typos, plenty of pauses (including timed frames), proper word wrapping, and great SFX usage. There is plenty of flavour text, with personalised responses to evidence, profiles, and plenty of examination dialogue. In what will be a first for this series of reviews I'd like to talk about the music: BadJoe's music selection is unlike anything I've heard before in a fancase*, and each custom track from who knows where (send me your mixtape please) goes the extra mile to enhance the impact of each scene.
*With possible exception for the Wario Land: Shake dimension music in Turnabout Retribution.

Gameplay: Gameplay consists of standard investigation gameplay, up until you meet your client in the detention center. Upon hearing their esoteric way of presenting the events of that night, Apollo's (now modified) bracelet reacts and the player is tasked with finding the contradiction.... with Apollo Justice's own memories! That's right, the main character is able to remember information they have personally witnessed up until this point, and can use it to "No, that's wrong!" new information he hears, before then using logical deduction from there to piece together what really happened. While this appears only once due to the nature of this case being incomplete, the protagonist having a good memory is setup to become a recurring game mechanic throughout the case.

Theme Relevance: In terms of theme relevance, the character requirement is smashed out of the park. The altered canon characters have brand new exaggerated personalities while still retraining recognisable traits of the original character. In terms of gameplay: the memory mechanic is currently the only change. While it appears only once within the submitted demo, it is setup to appear multiple times throughout the case past this point. I'm willing to trust this, bro, and give them a thumbs up for gameplay.
PROS
-Sheer force of exaggerated personality
-Music you'll actually want to hear in public.
-B.I.G Laughs, B.I.G Enjoyment, B.I.G Experience.

CONS
-Currently a walking and listening simulator with no investigation implemented.
-Case is incomplete
-It's hard to write any fair cons ok, leave me alone >:(
Initial review written 09/11/2023, edited/reviewed 12/11/2023
Thrower of bricks.

Co-host of the Into the Takumi-verse case compeition.

Stuff I've made in 2 weeks:
The Impossible Turnabout
Erinaceinae Griminance

Cases I have collabed on:
Don't Resort to a Turnabout (W.I.P)
Trucy's Magical Catastrophe
That time I got reincarnated as a fictional Defence Lawyer in An Ace Attorney fangame and had to defend myself against incredibly unfair odds.

Stuff I've made by myself that is good:
...maybe in the future.
GuardianDreamer
Spoken languages: English, Spanish

Re: Into the Takumi-Verse!

Post by GuardianDreamer »

Lots of interesting looking cases in this comp. Best of luck to those who still have work to do on their cases, I hope it goes well because I really want to see all these one day.
Hosted The Year of Luigi competition (and here's the awards ceremony).
Current AAO projects (to be completed eventually, probably, hopefully): A Real Name (2024), A Silly Little Dream (hopefully late 2024 or very early 2025), My Dearest Direst Disgrace (hopefully late 2025)
Stuff I've made on here: QotU
Make My Life Worse
Malleus Maleficarum: The Witch of San Ignacio
The Six Transgender Lesbian Goddesses of Love Are Having A Petty Argument, So They Try To Settle Things Alongside The Three Transgender Gay Gods of Flavor
Defend Him, Not Me!
The Guardian and the Dreamer
I was a guest judge and did a bit of writing for the TICKING TIME BOMB competition.
My Twitter is here
Avatar is of Marth from Fire Emblem, commissioned from @PiyoStoria on Twitter.
DeathByAutoscroll

Re: Ha! Bread Pun! by MasqueradeDemure & risefromtheashes

Professor Layton vs Miles Edgeworth
AKA: Ha! Bread Pun!
By MasqueradeDemure & risefromtheashes
Average japanifornian salary cutter vs Chad British hintcoin collectors
Miles Edgeworth has been transported to Labyrinthia and must try and find his missing companions.

Story:Prior to playing this case, my past experience with MasqueradeDemure & risefromtheashes' casemaking work consists of Athena Cykes: Wisdom at law and the definitely reasonably lengthed Looking Back awards ceremony, both of which I've enjoyed playing/watching. Professor Layton vs Miles Edgeworth continues this trend, being primarily targeted towards players who have played PLvsPW and at least the first 3 Professor Layton games. The case is structured like you've just finished the introduction to PLvsPW and are continuing from there with the twist that you're playing as Miles Edgeworth: Demon Prosecutor due to a butterfly effect from an alternative canon path. The case strays from the exact events of PLvsPW, while still following their broad strokes, allowing the PL characters to go around figuring out the plot and mystery of Labyrinthia while Edgeworth can run around like a headless chicken trying to figure out where the 2 people he is responsible for have disappeared off too. Currently, PLvsME abruptly ends after the first day. I'm not sure how much Masq and Ashe intend to continue further development of PLvsME, but I wish them luck with any and all future progress.

Characters: The characters in PLvsME are a mixture of canon characters and PLvsPW characters. For this review's purpose(s) any characters that appear in PLvsPW and a non-AA game will be considered heavily inspired OCs rather than as canon characters, to avoid any philosophical debates about if Professor Layton is considered canon or not. With that out of the way: Characterisation is templated on the original PLvsPW game, with a butterfly effect timeline alteration to earlier canon. This initially results in almost the exact same PLvsPW character actions (even down to the same intro in one instance) except Miles Edgeworth's presence and drastically different motivations results in the characters interacting in unique ways, and "Phoenix Wright: Ace Baker" style changes to other canon characters introduced to this world. The unaltered canon characters notably outnumber these altered characters during the case however. In terms of the Professor Layton characters they felt like themselves, albeit with a few minor niggles concerning the professor himself. Overall, there was good and fun characterisation consistently throughout the case, especially with the shockingly-under-talked-about-in-this-section protagonist Miles Edgeworth.

Presentation: PLvsME breaks the mould with its presentation. Literally going against the standard engine talk/idle sprites and presenting still frames of characters as either lit or in the dark. This style is similar to other VNs and unlike both Ace Attorney and (surprisingly) Professor Layton. While there were a few instances where rebelling against the AAO editor for this approach showed though,, overall it gives this case a unique presentation compared to any other AAO case I've played within and without this competition. Presentation that is shared among AAO cases includes pauses, good SFX usage (including some PLvsPW ones), typos nearer the end of the case, a lack of word wrapping, and excellent musical choice. There is plenty of flavour text to be found by examining the environments (Look Professor! A hint coin!) and presenting both evidence and profiles, with even some unexpected items yielding additional flavour text and dialogue. There are jokes and a few references to the Professor Layton series laced into the dialogue without being overtly in your face with them and overall I enjoyed the writing.

Gameplay: Gameplay should feel extremely familiar for those who have played PLvsPW. You walk around, collecting hint coins and solving puz- NOT solving puzzles!?!? Despite Edgeworth's best efforts, you do end up having to solve a puzzle, as well as then having to cook a swiss roll to the delightful cooking mama OST. This cooking minigame consists of selecting the ingredients which you wish to use, alongside approximately how much of each quantity of said ingredients you wish to use (e.g. 1 egg, 2 eggs, or 3 eggs). This was rather charming, being able to use what limited real life baking knowledge I knew to try and solve the 2 part puzzle. While there are plenty of ingredients scattered around the kitchen to choose from, there is unfortunately not a recipe nor anyway to actually solve the puzzle in the case without the use of the walkthrough or getting incredibly lucky. With there being no way to use to hint coin that was collected during the playthrough, an impossible to solve puzzle (conflicting with real world recipes that I could find, but I trust Masq and Ashe to have based this off a real recipe they could find) that ends the case outright upon failing it enough times is not ideal. That being said it did make me bake swiss rolls IRL so credit where it is due there.

Theme Relevance: This is rather difficult to assess, as there are arguments that the characters have been altered (notably and almost exclusively unnamed-in-this-review companion #1) from their base personality, yet there are arguments that that is what would happen naturally as a result of the character butterfly effect. There are also previous throwaway characters now with more defined characteristics... with the same job, and a character gains a quirk from a different canon game they didn't have in PLvsPW. Overall this makes my head hurt to think about so I'm leaving this as an unsatisfying "ehh maybe kinda sorta??? Maybe not????"

In terms of core gameplay changes... well it is certainly different from PLvsPW with there being no real puzzles, leaving it with the same gameplay as AA123 with the addition of the cooking minigame. This also makes my head hurt to think about, but with it being setup in this context as a one off thing, rather than continuous cooking, this leaves the core gameplay change requirement more more definitive "It's shaky"

PROS
-Fans of PLvsPW, AAI, and the PL series will really enjoy this.
-Solid and humorous writing
-Made me cook IRL
-"Good job! Keep going!" -Cooking Mama

CONS
-Players unfamiliar with PLvsPW and/or AAI/PL series will be missing key context.
-Unintentionally impossible to solve puzzle.
-A few presentation glitches becoming more frequent nearer the end.

Initial review written 10/11/2023, edited/reviewed 13/11/2023
Thrower of bricks.

The Impossible Turnabout
Erinaceinae Griminance

That time I got reincarnated as a fictional Defence Lawyer in An Ace Attorney fangame and had to defend myself against incredibly unfair odds.

...maybe in the future.
Samallama

Re: Ha! Bread Pun! By MasqueradeDemure and risefromtheashes

Post by Samallama »

Ha! Bread Pun! By MasqueradeDemure and risefromtheashes

Professor Layton vs. Miles Edgeworth? More like Phoenix Wright x Miles Edgeworth fanfiction... /pos

Edgeworth and his assistants (aka his pseudo-adopted children) get separated in a mysterious town called Labyrinthia which is rumoured to be controlled by a storyteller. On his quest to be reunited with his companions, Edgeworth meets new as well as familiar faces and inadvertently gets wrapped up in the events of this strange town as well as the unusual mystery-solving methods of a certain British Professor.

Story: I want to preface this review by saying that I have not played the cross-over, (Ikr?? What a loser. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!) so I hardly know anything about it other than the fact that Miles Edgeworth is British for some reason and there’s a really hot knight guy. I have no idea how similar this case’s story is to the cross-over, but I can say that it was very enjoyable and Masq and Ashely did a good job at introducing me to and making me understand and follow the plot despite having no prior knowledge of it. There are some really wholesome moments, especially between a certain pair of attorneys who seem to have had some sort of pretty intense falling out prior to the events of this case, but due to the inhabitants of Labyrinthia having memory loss, Edgeworth is the only one that remembers this event which creates a really nice situation of two people being able to speak in a way, under which normal circumstances they would not. The mystery set up so far is good with a lot of questions surrounding Labyrinthia and this case in its current state is the first part of I don’t know how many so leaves on a cliff-hanger but a satisfying end nonetheless.

Characters: All these characters are good, though again I don’t know how similar or different they are from their canon portrayals but I can say that I liked all of them (if some of them being a bit bland in the case of Espella but that might be just because she only has one sprite pose for some reason). I have only played a little bit of the first Professor Layton game and from what I can tell, Layton and Luke’s portrayals are accurate, though I found that their characters overall were more on the meh side as despite this being a crossover, this first part at least is heavily focused on Edgeworth and they are very much just side characters who have a few things to say every now and again. In terms of Ace Attorney exclusive characters they are all pretty much their canon selves, though I will say that this portrayal of Edgeworth I did like quite a lot, he is very much out of his element in the story so he very clueless but inquisitive, quite shy and a bit of a Tsundere that I liked a lot - I Pretty much just love seeing Edgy boy suffer. He is also very reluctant to do any kind of puzzle which was very funny and pretty in character, though I couldn’t help but get a little mad at him for being a killjoy because I wanted to do some puzzles…

Presentation: The presentation of this case is good. I only noticed one typo and there were pauses in the dialogue, but I found these were too long for my preference and I accidentally skipped dialogue on multiple occasions because I thought it had ended.

I don’t think there are many custom assets used in this other than the custom title screen, which I’m pretty sure was made by Masq, and a custom extra Edgeworth AAI sprite (which I have no idea who made because there were no credits for this case). I’m pretty sure all the backgrounds, CGs and non ace attorney characters are ripped from the canon cross-over itself or other Professor Layton games in general as I noticed some of the backgrounds and characters were more cronchy than others.

The audio design of this case was fine using standard Ace Attorney SFX and music that I can only assume is all from the cross-over.

One problem I had with the presentation isn’t exactly an issue technically speaking, but just more aesthetic preference. At any one time, the talking character’s sprite would light up, whilst everyone else on screen would be more in shadow. This was the only indication to which character was talking, and got slightly confusing especially for my tired brain at times. None of the sprites were animated in any way, which I originally thought must be akin to the Layton style, but looking at some footage from Curious Village, the characters' mouths are actually animated when they talk, so I’m not really sure why the choice to have completely static sprites was made, as I feel like it took a lot of life out of the characters. Also, most of the time there are multiple people in an area at once but they’re not always on screen so you kind of forget about them, and on the other end of the spectrum, at some points there are a lot of characters on screen at once, getting to the point where it’s very crowded and miss-matched looking with so many characters of different sizes, proportions, and styles. At one point, the characters who was speaking was pretty much completely covered up by other characters. So, I think this area of presentation could’ve been handled better.

Gameplay: For the most part the gameplay of this case is pretty standard with the press, present, and talk options and there was a decent amount of flavour text, with presents specifically changing depending on location even if you are with the same characters, which was a nice touch.

For a case that is supposed to be in part Professor Layton game, it had a distinct lack of puzzles. Like I said before Edgeworth was just completely opposed to the idea of solving puzzles, but I feel like at some point he should’ve just been forced to do them even if he didn’t want to, as I feel like puzzles themselves would be easy enough to implement into the editor with most of them being just static images with a description. This case isn’t necessarily completely devoid of puzzles however, there is one but it doesn’t fully count in my opinion because It seemed that it didn’t matter whether you got it right or wrong (This is just an assumption though because I got it wrong because I was trying to be smart about it umm). I think more puzzles would have really added to the gameplay of this case by creating more variation, and I hope that if Masq and Ashley continue this case, there will be Layton-focused sections added with more puzzles (and would be really cool if Edgeworth got to the point where he embraced the puzzles and actually started to enjoy them *ahem*).

Other than the standard gameplay and puzzles, as the theme requires, there is a new game mechanic that Masq and Ashely have created in the form of a baking minigame!! (did you expect any less with a case title like that?) In this minigame you have to use the examine, talk, and present features to gather the right ingredients as well as the right amount, to bake something. Now there are no recipes or hints for this section which means you pretty much need to use a combination of any baking knowledge you have, common sense as well as some guess work. I haven’t baked much in a long time, but I used to, so I don’t completely agree with the right combination of ingredients that you have to use and I did have to look at the walkthrough to get it exactly right, although I got it pretty close the first time. I won’t say that this puzzle is unfair because I did still really enjoy it and I respect Masq and Ashley for committing to the bit, but I feel like there could have been a bit more logic and hints here and there to make this mechanic better.

Theme Relevance: Now, I’m going to say something that might shock you… the theme relevance of this case is questionable (yes, I know I sound like a broken record at this point…).

I haven’t played the cross-over so I can’t tell you if any of the characters exclusive to it are any different from their canon counterparts, but I can say that in terms of the Ace Attorney characters that I am familiar with, they are pretty much the same. You could argue that in the context of the original forum post, for all the canon characters that I know, their roles in the story have been changed in some way. For example, because Edgeworth appears in the cross-over not as the protagonist, you could say his role in the story has been changed in this instance, the same could be said for Phoenix considering he has lost all knowledge of being a lawyer and Is also a secondary character instead of the main one. I am not 100% on this though, as all these changes seem circumstantial and this case still could fit into the canon timeline in my opinion. I think this side of theme relevance is a bit of a grey area at least for me, but DBA might have better judgment on this as she has actually played the cross-over.

Technically speaking there are two new game mechanics introduced in this case, one being the baking minigame and the other being the single puzzle. The baking minigame very much seems to me at least as a one-off gimmick type thing which doesn’t really change the core gameplay. If more puzzles were used I think they would count as a change to core gameplay, but because of Edgeworth’s reluctance to do them and due to the fact that the only one you can actually do is more of a joke… I don’t think it really counts.

In conclusion, this was a fun case that although I had some issues with, kept my attention for the most part with some very funny moments and heart-warming interactions between the characters. I feel like I can't fully appreciate this case because I haven’t played the cross-over, (though I am more interested in playing it now) but I think this case would be a real treat for anyone who is a fan with it probably having a bunch of references, in-jokes and the like.

PROS
An enjoyable case with a lot of funny moments.
Good writing with no major presentation issues.
Heart-warming character interactions (You better make them kiss in later parts or else…)
Very fun little minigame.

CONS
Some subjectively questionable presentation choices.
Distinct lack of puzzles for a Layton game…
Theme relevance is hard to judge but leaning on the side of questionable.
ImageImageImage
MasqueradeDemure

Post by MasqueradeDemure »

Yay reviews!!
relevant

Now it's **my** turn to prattle on about case development
Spoiler : :
I DID IT! I MADE THE COOKING MINIGAME YOU ALL JOKED ABOUT! MY GREATEST ACCOMPLISHMENT!

this case is honestly just a snippet of a full story in my head, i just decided to work on a few scenes of it, hence the very beginning of the case, i think i only have time for one full length fangame though so it's probably going to remain unfinished in perpetuity. Feedback very much taken on the cooking mini-game, this is an entry that i would've absolutely added more to given a few more weeks before the deadline, the last week was absolutely a scramble to get things done in time- for instance you can throw your prosecutor's badge into the oven and you just get generic failure dialogue; this is a crime. If i were to ever release a case that did not have sufficient unique badge dialogue it is your god-sworn duty to strike me down for what I have become. Also of note, there is very much more baking in the outline of the full story that is intangible and cannot be experienced by the judges in any way whatsoever, so you should trust me and give me brownie points!! (i actually do have examples of more baking puzzles and their solutions, i swear, i dare you guys to DM me about it) anyway crossover characters aren't cannon characters and if you interpret the theme exactly the way i did then there's no problem :D :D :D.

Presentation is honestly only as it is because of how little recourses i could find freely available of the characters from versus, sure Layton, Edgeworth, etc, have mouth flaps but none of the characters original to versus have their "sprites" ripped. If i really wanted to I could've grabbed their models and tried to figure out the code to pose them in their poses from the game itself... but i'm too stupid for that mechanically, so instead we opted to use what art there was that was available... and then sort of neutered the pre-existing animated sprites so that it didn't clash stylistically. was this worth it for what the entry itself focuses on... probably not, but i swear the versus characters are more relevant and important in my head. We have this really cool interpretation of the storyteller guys- i promise it's awesome!!! the crossover is cool!!! and i think the fact that MASSIVE SPOILERS is a thing has some implications and they're underexplored and- and- *crashing sfx*

anyway i hope both of you laughed at least once at the stupid jokes. DBA next time you make a swiss roll put something other than jam in it ISTG. Sama if you play the crossover I promise I'll make you that dating sim next time you're a comp host :3
applekitty

Post by applekitty »

MasqueradeDemure wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:36 am
Presentation is honestly only as it is because of how little recourses i could find freely available of the characters from versus, sure Layton, Edgeworth, etc, have mouth flaps but none of the characters original to versus have their "sprites" ripped. If i really wanted to I could've grabbed their models and tried to figure out the code to pose them in their poses from the game itself...
Doing this is not possible. What you would've had to do is go into the game itself and manually rip every single frame of every single animation using Citra's texture dump. That way you could compile them into gifs/whatever using SpriteSheeter. But it would be very time consuming because doing it this way slows the game down by like 10x and also isnt perfectly looping (for dialogue) which means youd have twitchy gifs. I think what you did is good considering the restrictions.... Um... which are my bad cuz I still havent ripped (as described) for the game yet lol... :3c
ImageImageImage

☠ + ☠ = ☠
☠ + ☠ = ☠
☠ + ☠ = ☠
Become asexual.
If you agree, please add this to your signature.
DeathByAutoscroll

MasqueradeDemure wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:36 am
~~ Trimmed ~~
DBA next time you make a swiss roll put something other than jam in it ISTG.
Make me >:P
Nah, but for real the only reason I did that was I'm not a fan of cream and I wanted to eat it afterwards lol. Expect more cooking if you release this with additional baking.
Thrower of bricks.

The Impossible Turnabout
Erinaceinae Griminance

...maybe in the future.
DeathByAutoscroll

Re: Phoenix Wright: Journalist by Madoc & Bannedfrom7

Phoenix Wright: Journalist
By Madoc & Bannedfrom7
CD TAKUMIVERSE/CASES ; DIR ; PWJ.EXE
Phoenix Wright and their mentor Lotta Hart are on the lookout for a scoop when they learn about a murder at a nearby factory.

Story: When Madoc and Bannedfrom7 submitted their case into the Takumi-verse Ace Attorney Online competition I was... rather confused. A HTML file and a text walkthrough submitted into DMs made me worry I had travelled the Takumi-verse to the reality with Ace Attorney Offline. Jokes aside, it's nice to see new engines explored, and Phoenix Wright: Journalist is Madoc and Bannedfrom7's proof of concept that Twine can make Ace Attorney cases. While the story is incomplete, concluding just as you get your first new real lead when digging deeper into the mystery, there is no doubt that they achieved their goals of delivering a fun AA like experience.

Characters: The characters in this case consist of altered canon characters and a few OCs. Each altered canon character has a new profession, from the title named Phoenix Wright being a Journalist for the LA Grit, Yanni Yogi being a car mechanic CEO receptionist, and the go-getting Lotta Hart being a conspiracy chasing journalistic mentor... without a southern accent! The OC cast is described well as well, with a very clear mental image present of what they look like being conveyed through. The characters bounce off of each other quite nicely, and I enjoyed seeing what they had to say.

Presentation: This is probably the most striking feature of this case. Gone are the graphics, sounds, music and even the UI. Loading up this case is like playing a classic text adventure game, albeit with significantly less risk of being eaten by a grue. There are no graphics, music, sound, or anything, just coloured text. Text is displayed line by line, gentle fading in or extremely rarely and unused shaking/popping in animations to emphasise a character shouting in "YES I KNOW" or excitement. Have I mentioned this has only text with no music, sound, or graphics? It also has no typos or bugs, with only 1 error being displayed during my playthrough. If you've ever read a book it's like that except without manually turning the pages. Crazy, right?

Gameplay: There is... definitely not standard ace attorney investigation and interview gameplay, akin to the Investigations games, minus the running around and spinning in circles on the spot endlessly. This is a competent recreation of the AA talking and at one point argument/rebuttal gameplay using only text and choose your own adventure style prompts to progress the dialogue. This is quite nice as a proof of concept for Twine, although I personally would have loved to see some of the uses of Twine that the AAO engine cannot easily do showcased a bit more to differentiate itself a bit more.

Theme Relevance: In terms of altering canon characters: all of them have new professions, satisfying this requirement nicely. A cruel judge could mark the gameplay requirement as having no differences for recreating the AA gameplay faithfully, however that would be ignoring the fact was made on the Twine engine as a proof that AA can work on it. Suffice to say there was definitely a huge core gameplay shift, which satisfies this requirement nicely.
PROS
-Cool text animations and new engine tech.
-Pretty nice slice of life type mystery story.
-No internet connection required.

CONS
-No sound/graphics, just the eternal walls of text.
-Case is incomplete.
Initial review written 13/11/2023, edited/reviewed 14/11/2023
Thrower of bricks.

The Impossible Turnabout
Erinaceinae Griminance

...maybe in the future.
Samallama

Re: Phoenix Wright: Journalist by Madoc and Bannedfrom7 (Sama's review)

Post by Samallama »

Phoenix Wright: Journalist by Madoc and Bannedfrom7

No Lotta. All my senses other than my ability to perceive words have been stripped... I’m scared.

Journalist Phoenix Wright who works at investigative news company called “LA Grit” is desperate for a new scoop when his partner Lotta Hart finds out about a potential scandal at a large food corporation called ‘Yum Factory’.

Story: So um,,, you might have guessed from Madoc and Banned’s submission message that this isn’t your average comp case submission because it’s not made in AAO,,, but in fact it’s not made in ANY Ace Attorney fan game engine. This case is made in a fully text based engine called “Twine”, literally taking the “Visual” aspect out of Visual Novel. There isn’t any sound either, so I actually chose this silly Mii music playlist to listen to whilst reading: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hws4X3ZW1ds . Now, something that you might not know about me is that I am not the biggest fan of reading, I like visual novels because the words are provided in smaller chunks alongside pictures which I find more digestible than big intimidating blocks of text. Suffice to say, in the words of Dylan Dog, I was maulding when I first found out I’d have to do so much straight reading for this entry (I prefer gay reading myself :cute: ), but to be fair, I did overreact a little bit and the experience wasn’t as bad as I thought (though my short attention span didn't help...). The concept of this case being entirely text-based is actually really cool and unique, and Madoc and Banned have been able to replicate Ace Attorney gameplay to an extent that is impressive. The story itself is pretty simple and the mystery aspect hasn’t had the chance to completely unravel yet as this project is not finished, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Characters: There are a few characters introduced in this first part, which are mostly canon characters who have had their profession altered to fit the theme of this comp.
All the character interactions were pretty fun and I particularly liked Lotta and Phoenix’s dynamic, with Phoenix being more of the subtle and strategic journalist compared to Lotta being really hot-headed going in guns blazing and getting straight to the point. All the other characters were written pretty well and fit their role in the story nicely.

Presentation: There isn’t much to talk about presentation-wise as this case is entirely text-based, but I’ll give it my best shot (proceeds to write 200 words what the frick...). The way Twine works is kind of like a book where you flip to the next page, but instead of text appearing straight away, it fades in, which looks nice but I would've liked the option to be able to skip dialogue in some instances. Some pages have way more writing on them than others, which felt kind of inconsistent, but if it was a page per scene, it would make sense for some to be shorter than others I guess. Twine allows you to colour text, so the protagonist's thoughts are displayed in blue and in brackets as per usual and you can add effects to text that make it shake or explode which added some more interest, but I found these effects were used pretty sparingly. There were a few typos toward the end, but I have to say, all the menus including the notebook (court record), cross-examination sequences, and the move screen were laid out clearly and the locations even had descriptions which was a nice touch.

Gameplay: The fact that Madoc and Banned have been able to replicate Ace Attorney gameplay in this engine, including a single cross-examination, is quite impressive and didn’t really get confusing at any point. Due to lack of visuals though, examine gameplay wasn’t a thing and neither was presenting other than the game just doing it for you through talk options.

I will say for the cross-examination style gameplay though, that I did have a big issue, with not necessarily the contradiction itself, but the fact that the evidence that you present to get it has literally nothing to do with the statement that you're supposed to present it on, and there should've been entirely new statement with the information that was actually contradictory.

As for altered gameplay, you could say that this whole entry counts, completely taking out the visual aspect of Ace Attorney. In terms of specifically a new game mechanic though, there is a section where you have to search the web to find some hot goss on ‘Yum Factory’. In this section, you would choose what to put into the search engine and then click on various websites from the results to find out more. This was a pretty cool mechanic overall, with a good amount of flavour text for if you went down the wrong path - pretty much felt like actually trying to find stuff out on the internet, where you discover things that aren’t really relevant to what you were searching for originally, but are still fun.

Theme Relevance: This case is theme relevant. All canon characters have been altered in some way whether it be their profession or role in the story.

As for a new gameplay mechanic, the ‘search the web’ feature counts in my opinion and I can imagine this being one of the core mechanics of the case going forward.

PROS
Very ballsy and unique idea.
Was able to replicate most AA mechanics pretty well.
Fun characters.

CONS
No visuals/audio is a big attention killer.
Mystery hasn’t had a chance to fully be explored yet.
BOOKS ARE FOR NERDS!! /j
ImageImageImage
Madoc

Post by Madoc »

I'm happy to hear you enjoyed our entry!
Spoiler : My thoughts :
I was worried that it being minimalistic would be something of a turn-off, and at least it wasn't for one of you.

I thought I had enabled an option to speed up the entry of text by holding the mouse button/screen, but it does not appear to be working the way I intended it to. If I get around to making a full version, I'll try to remedy that. The whole mystery has indeed been planned out, but some of the technical details may need some refining.
GuardianDreamer
Spoken languages: English, Spanish

Post by GuardianDreamer »

We're almost through all the reviews... And it looks like there's been a lot of creativity on display here. I've been very surprised reading the reviews seeing what everyone's cooked up this time.
Hosted The Year of Luigi competition (and here's the awards ceremony).
Current AAO projects (to be completed eventually, probably, hopefully): A Real Name (2024), A Silly Little Dream (hopefully late 2024 or very early 2025), My Dearest Direst Disgrace (hopefully late 2025)
Stuff I've made on here: QotU
Make My Life Worse
Malleus Maleficarum: The Witch of San Ignacio
The Six Transgender Lesbian Goddesses of Love Are Having A Petty Argument, So They Try To Settle Things Alongside The Three Transgender Gay Gods of Flavor
Defend Him, Not Me!
The Guardian and the Dreamer
I was a guest judge and did a bit of writing for the TICKING TIME BOMB competition.
My Twitter is here
Avatar is of Marth from Fire Emblem, commissioned from @PiyoStoria on Twitter.
BadJoe
Spoken languages: Français, English

Post by BadJoe »

Hi! TCiaB creator here!

Alright, I think I can allow myself to add a few comments regarding my fancase thus far. (Thank you for the reviews once again!)
Spoiler : My thoughts :
I wasn't kidding when I said I was speechless from reading your reviews a few days ago. I was genuinely surprised! I mean... granted, I had a feeling that you two would enjoy what I've made so far considering that you're looking for a good amount of fluff and comedy according to the story criteria. However, I didn't expect that you would both enjoy it that much. I'm glad you two loved it though!

Thank you once again for taking the time to play it (and find the few typos that I've missed among the huge amount that I've corrected a while back).

I gotta admit, this unintentionally gave me a boost of motivation, which is pretty cool! And I'm pretty sure that by now, among the other entries, this one probably caught people's attention and might be wondering what I'm cooking. So I wanted to add a few things regarding my project. (Nothing too spoilerish, but I'll hide it still just in case people want the tiny extra surprise factor)
Spoiler : About my fancase... :
This is going to be a murder case that will be split in 3 parts (The common formula of Investigation Day, Trial Former and Trial Latter). I'm also a big fan of comedy and silly things. I love it when things can get ridiculously funny regardless of the genre. I've taken inspiration from probably... too many video games, cartoons and anime comedy wise and character wise. I might tell you guys more about it once I release part 1 of my fancase.

Regarding the extra mechanic that I came up with gameplay wise (the bracelet that stores memories), initially, I wasn't sure if I was gonna be able to come up with an extra gameplay mechanic to fulfill the criteria considering that... you know... I'm fairly new to case making! However, the gameplay idea came up much quicker than expected and you see in the reviews is the result of it. Truth be told, there's a very specific reason why I decided to go with it. Aside from its simplicity, I noticed that there's one thing about mystery games overall that tends to mess with the crime solvers, even myself : invisiclues!

By that, I mostly mean clues that you've seen, heard or read in the past, but aren't obvious options to choose to try to solve it since they're usually not part of the court record, but rather part of the player's observation or memory. Sometimes, it can be easy to miss something that is really crucial to move forward and solve a problem to the mystery. So I figured that with this mechanic idea, this could be used to give a reminder to some of the invisiclues during times where it would matter most. I personally think that this can enhance the experience (as long as it's not used too much, probably?)

Anyways, after the reviews are done, I'm most likely jumping back to my fancase. I'm not going to reveal much about the progress done, but I definitly want to complete the investigation phase as soon as I can so that everyone else can play and experience it as well. Of course, I don't plan on releasing something unpolished eitheir by rushing it. The least I can say is that whenever I'll create the official fancase thread, that's when part 1 will be available to play.

Man... I'm so curious about all these entries!
DeathByAutoscroll

Due to a mixture of IRL circumstances, and a lack of confidence my end to provide a professional review for skye's entry, I will not be posting a public review. A less formal review has been sent privately.
Thrower of bricks.

The Impossible Turnabout
Erinaceinae Griminance

...maybe in the future.
Samallama

Re: Ace Legislacerator by skyem (Sama's review)

Post by Samallama »

Ace Legislacerator by skyem

JUNE: dave how did you get here
DAVE: i walked is that not obvious is a man not allowed to walk anymore
DAVE: like walking is forbidden
DAVE: if it is wheres the signs
DAVE: "walking prohibited"
DAVE: "only floating allowed f :larry: ckers"
DAVE: because-
TEREZI: ORD3R!
God forbid women men do anything.

In a Homestuck AU, June the human’s DS copy of Ace Legislacerator is corrupt, so troll Terezi decides to try and lick it to fix it… This surprisingly doesn’t work, so the friend group of both humans and trolls decide to do a LARP of the game instead.

This review will be very short as this entry was submitted as a text document by skye, who unfortunately ran out of time to complete their submission, but I felt it would be fun to share my thoughts anyway so here we go.

I don't know much about Homestuck other than what I learned from a 3-hour video essay I watched one time, so I know the general ideas. Despite its short length, this script was a fun read, being well written and having no typos, although some words were misspelled with numbers instead of letters to replicate the Homestuck style of Troll speech (along with the lowercase start to sentences and lack of punctuation I presume) which was cool, and one of the characters seemed to literally have a personality trait that involves them making typos and then correcting themselves afterward.

All the dialogue was funny with some particularly good moments (see the excerpt I picked which made me laugh). You can also probably tell from this excerpt there are also multiple F-bombs present in this script, which was refreshing after all these Christian AAO entries /j.

In terms of presentation, although this is just a text document, skye also linked some music from YouTube that would play in specific sections which are all from the canon Homestuck game 'Hiveswap' and I was surprised to see that the tracks used are actually called 'Court Begins' and 'Cross-examination' which I don’t know if is a direct reference to Ace Attorney but pretty cool nonetheless, and it gave me something fun to listen to whilst reading :0c

As you can probably guess this entry is in no way theme-relevant, not being playable let alone using a new game mechanic, and all the characters included (I presume) are from Homestuck, meaning that it doesn't meet the requirement of using at least one altered character. Although, you could argue that the really cool box art that skye commissioned shows what could’ve been, with Edgeworth, Phoenix, and Maya all being portrayed as trolls.

Spoiler : Box art :

Image(Made by @4getful4444 on Tumblr :3c)
Overall, this was a fun read. If you’re a fan of Homestuck, cross-over AUs or skye’s work in general, I don’t know if she plans on releasing, continuing this project, or sharing the script with others, but if you do get the chance to read it you’ll probably have a good time!
ImageImageImage