List of problems I'm having updating an old trial

Post about any bugs or other issues that you find on AAO.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

karlkablisk
Spoken languages: English

List of problems I'm having updating an old trial

Post by karlkablisk »

Hi, I have a Trial I last worked on years ago, I am guessing that is version 5? There was a message that I wouldn't be able to go back to version 5 if I saved which is fine.
If anyone would like to help here is the list of issues I had after going through the whole thing start to finish. For the most part it worked! :)

Here is a link to the trial,
link shortcut to the issue below.

1. This is the biggest issue, when I get near the end of the whole thing, about 15 or so lines before I have "the end". It suddenly ends! I tried moving a few things around but nothing. I only need it to go on a little bit longer, so weird.
[url=http://www.aaonline.fr/player.php?trial ... xMzc2NX19l]Link to skip to the end to see it here.[/url]
If I use the save location it ends early, over there, but if I skip to the frame 3715 it works fine. hm. Maybe just the save is unstable and I should start it from the beginning to do a real test?

If you can get the save URL to work, Keep clicking and it will say "The End" when a character says "Murder". I didn't put any flags for it to end there though!
Is it too big? Its something like 4200 frames.

Getting it to the end is important because I want to carry over the variables so that I can work on part 2.

2. Sometimes it gets slow or hangs is that just a quirk of the program? It happens in random different spots all the time.

3. Some areas, you have to keep clicking maybe for about 7 seconds before it will continue, in my timeline I have maybe 1 frame, or 1 action but sometimes its just the next line with nothing special. I don't know what its all about to fix. Not too bad but I am worried if I get someone to play they will think its busted and stop.

4. I am clicking "next" for dialog and if I press rapidly I end up with many saved gifs of "skip.gif" etc. I don't remember this happening before. Should I just not click rapidly? I was thinking of maybe even putting in some external chrome extension that would disable downloading for the page to get past it but can't find any. Its an annoyance since I want to get through to a part to check real quick.

5. Is there any way to add sepia tone to the game yet? Or black and white? I am going to try my own sepia tone for now in the form of a transparent png popup, maybe it'll work but I was wondering if there was a real way to do this.

6. I thought it was possible but how can I send variables to part 2
and can I send someone from part 1 to part 2? I will start testing this one part 1 is checked over as working.

I think that's all the issues I am having only #1 is real important. I want to make sure this trial is good to go and re-release it, I think it was never actually listed on the site and its something like a fully functional 4 hour trial.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Trials in Progress

Play: "Turnabout Suicide"
PROGRESS: Finished part 1! Currently reviewing since it was made a long time ago.

comments go here

"Gyakuten Rap" (short song timed to the game animation with evidence)
Progress: Complete

- KKL
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Re: List of problems I'm having updating an old trial

Post by Enthalpy »

I'll give this a more thorough read later since there's a lot here, but let's focus on number one.

When I try to proceed from the save link you gave me, I get nowhere. Is that what you're seeing?
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
karlkablisk

Post by karlkablisk »

Thanks for the response #1 is the main one. The link didn't work for me either, only actually clicking the save file. Is there any way, to show you? I right clicked my save and copied that URL, is there another link or way I can send you?

It works, goes for a few lines of dialogue then says the end early and won't continue :(
Not sure how else to get you to the spot without playing the whole 2-4 hour thing and making your own save file.

If you just put in the frame and skip to frame 3715 (if you can access the debug), you can get all the way to real end. Its supposed to end with Maya in the maid outfit in a black void, instead it ends in the courtroom while a conversation is going on.
Trials in Progress

PROGRESS: Finished part 1! Currently reviewing since it was made a long time ago.

comments go here

- KKL
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

I don't think so, which is a nuisance...

I'll need to investigate what went wrong with the save system. I can spot one problem immediately, but there may be more. Thanks for the report. This'll be keeping me busy, I'm afraid, but we need to get #1 fixed, if nothing else.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
karlkablisk

Post by karlkablisk »

Hey, I certainly don't want to cause any grief over this issue. I did spend a lot of time on it but I'm not sure how many people need to update their previous version or have an issue like this.

I did some more poking around to see if I can fix it.
I have 2 times now, looked at the frame where it ends, and either tried to add more frames, delete previous frames, skip them etc.
Each time "THE END" creeps up to a lower number in the timeline appearing earlier in the dialogue.
I also looked at the ONLY "the end" condition and changed it to a redirect to part 2. Just in case the end was triggering prematurely somehow.
I even set the health to full because I realized I had few penalties, just in case I was randomly "dying" lol.

But let me speed run my game one more time no saves get to the end and see if it still happens. Then use a save to see if that makes a difference.

and #6 I think I got it, saw a way to send variables and send the user to the next trial in the series, so that's good.

Thanks!
Trials in Progress

comments go here

- KKL
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

In future please warn me before you start editing your trial after you post a bug report about it.

To investigate a bug, I need an example of a trial that has the bug. When you edit your trial, the example changes. That makes it harder for me to investigate. If I know you plan to edit it again, I can save a copy of your trial data so I can inspect it later, but I need forewarning to do that.

And yes, I do need to investigate bugs that render trials unplayable. They could cause bigger problems later on, no matter how many cases I think are affected.
karlkablisk

Post by karlkablisk »

Ok I'll let you know thanks sorry didn't know about that.
I'll wait while you take a look.

Thanks
Trials in Progress

comments go here

- KKL
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

I already saved the data I need, so you can continue.

Meanwhile, I've identified a bug in the save system that probably caused your issue. Unfortunately, I can't test this one readily, but I'm hoping this means the save issue will be fixed on the next AAO update.
karlkablisk

Post by karlkablisk »

Thanks, and if you think its related to the save itself, maybe a playthrough to test if it works to the end would be worth trying out. That's what I was originally doing this for so I could wrap up part 1 and focus on part 2 to end the story.

Is there some frame limit I should try to work under in the future? Or is my number of frames ok? Just shy of 5000 frames. Since there's a good system of doing part 1,2,3 now, maybe it's not so bad to have multi part if it helps performance.

Thanks-
Trials in Progress

comments go here

- KKL
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

I'll need to investigate more to determine if the issue is just from the save or not.

There's no hard and fast rule for determining when to make a new part, but I never go above 4000 and try not to go much above 3000.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

In V6 and with recent enough browsers, I've seen cases going above 7000 frames without issues; but in any case, you'll always find it easier to work with smaller cases anyway.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
karlkablisk

Post by karlkablisk »

Thanks guys, I'll keep that in mind and nice to see you again Unas! Really glad this thing is still going! :)
Trials in Progress

comments go here

- KKL