[T][CE] Ace of Turnabouts ●

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

User avatar
drvonkitty
Posts: 498
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:25 am
Gender: Male
Spoken languages: English

[T][CE] Ace of Turnabouts ●

Post by drvonkitty »

Winner of the Butterfly Effect Competition
Image
One butterfly... can change the world.
Click to play from beginning

Part 1
Part 2

Features
➢Winner of the Butterfly Effect Competition
➢ZekromFan57 and drvonkitty fancase
➢Winner of Best Writing, Best Joke, and Best Mystery
➢Functional Mood Matrix
➢Alternate Universe (AU)
Spoiler : Synopsis :
Rookie Athena Cykes arrives in the United States looking for a job, but she quickly becomes involved in a high profile trial. Can she change the future?
Spoiler : Walkthrough :
Spoiler : Part 1 :
Wright Talent Agency:
Exhaust all talk options
Move to Club Poker

Club Poker? Hardly know her:
Select “Sadness”
Present Trucy’s profile
Move to Starstrum

Starstrum:
Exhaust all talk options

Wright Talent Agency:
Move to Detention Centre

Detention Centre:
Exhaust all talk options
Move to Club Poker

Club Poker? Hardly know her:

Exhaust all talk options
Move to Private Game Room

Private Game Room:
Examine the bag on the ground
Examine the note on the table
Examine the broken bottle on the table
Move to Starstrum

Starstrum:
Exhaust all talk options
Present Widget
Present Letter of Request
Select “Yes I do”.
Present Coffee Order
Move to Kitchen

Kitchen:
Examine the Coffee Machines
Move to Wright Talent Agency

Wright Talent Agency:
Exhaust all talk options
Move to Detention Centre

Detention Centre:

Exhaust all talk options
Spoiler : Part 2 :
The Crime:
Press all statements.

The Motive:
Present Case File on statement 4.
Present the Medicine Bag on the new statement.

My Testimony:
Press the only statement
Present the Shattered Bottle.
Select “Yes”.
Present the Coffee Order.

The Game of Poker:
Pinpoint surprise on the 3rd statement.
Press the new statement.
Select “There’s a problem”.
Present the Autopsy Report.
Pinpoint surprise.
Select “He couldn’t see”.
Present the Table Photo.

Cheating Afoot:
Present Bloody Ace on the 1st statement.
Present the Bloody Ace.
Present van Cleef’s profile.
Present Shattered Bottle.
Present Table Photo.
Point to the Coffee Mugs.
Present the Coffee Order.
Present the Coffee Machines.
Present Marian Jir.

A Killer? In MY Kitchen?
Present the floor plans or crime photo on statement 2.
Select the wall in between the Game Room and Kitchen.
Present Key.
Present Phoenix Wright.

What I Remember:
Present Table Photo on statement 3.
Pinpoint surprise.

What I Remember, Pt. 2:
Present Oleg’s Profile on the 4th statement.
Present Case File.
Press the new statement.
Present van Cleef’s profile.

Thought Route:
Select “Someone Else”
Select “Somewhere Else”
Select “Indirectly”
Present van Cleef’s profile.
Present Coffee Machines.
Pinpoint anger.
Present Heart Medicine.
Present Autopsy Report.

Lobby:
Present the Bloody Ace.
Present Kristoph Gavin or Vera Misham.
Spoiler : Credits, contains spoilers :
mercurialSK, Rajin, SuperAJ3, ShiroForever, Hesseldahl, and Silver Glas - Athena Cykes sprites
gotMLK7 - Oleg O'Reilly sprites
Hesseldahl - Marian Jir sprites, Normal Apollo sprites
mercurialSK - Prosecutor Justice sprites, Mood Matrix graphics
DragonTrainer - Walter van Cleef sprites
Calvinball - Widget evidence
FenrirDarkWolf - Got it bubble, confetti graphic
Phantom - "creamy" testimony graphic
TheDoctor - Thought Route graphics, silence bubble
VGMusicRemaster - Trucy's remixed theme
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Intro theme
Image
User avatar
Awsome2464
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:40 am
Gender: Male
Spoken languages: English
Location: United States

Re: [T][CE] Ace of Turnabouts ●

Post by Awsome2464 »

Our winning entry is available to the public! Can't recommend this one enough!
Image
User avatar
DJJ6800
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed May 02, 2018 3:40 pm
Gender: Male
Spoken languages: English
Location: Somewhere on the Planet Earth

Re: [T][CE] Ace of Turnabouts ●

Post by DJJ6800 »

Absolutely recommend this!
My trials:Tales of a Turnabout viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12553
Turnabout Reality viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12949
nikekut456
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:39 pm
Gender: Male
Spoken languages: English

Re: [T][CE] Ace of Turnabouts ●

Post by nikekut456 »

I actually got a question about one thing:
Spoiler : :
About when the barista calling out that the victim was cheating:
- Isn't one look at the table photo pretty much proving Phoenix was winning? I mean, 2 cups of coffee was on the victim side?
User avatar
TimeAxis
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:27 pm
Spoken languages: English

Re: [T][CE] Ace of Turnabouts ●

Post by TimeAxis »

I loved it. If you want more detailed thoughts, I wrote out a play-by-play of my thoughts as I was playing through it. There are some minor nitpicks in there, and praises, a couple suggestions here and there, and pretty much everything I was thinking as I went through it.

I have not played many fan cases so far (I've played maybe 3 of them before this one), so this may not mean much, but this one is absolutely my favorite that I've played so far.
Spoiler : Play-By-Play Impressions (Warning: Long) :
Part 1 Thoughts
- Marian Jir's sprite is really nice. A pretty expressive character. (I don't get the pun with her name though, unless it's supposed to be a mangled version of "Manager") I like the whole setup so far. I'm not the biggest Athena fan, but I think she's been captured perfectly here. Some of the jokey dialogue at the beginning wasn't my cup of tea (although it definitely fit Athena to a tee), but once the case really got going, things were great.
- I also love what you've done with Widget. Using it outside of court like that is pretty cool. I haven't played too many fan cases, so maybe that's something a lot of them do, but it was my first time seeing that, and I liked it.
- As far as the crime goes, so far I have no idea. I remember hearing glass shattering, then a few bangs. I think the bangs were Marian banging on the door (or maybe that's what she wants us to think). I don't have an autopsy report yet, so until I know the cause of death, I can't really say much. But I'm speculating that maybe the medicine was some kind of sleeping pill that knocked out Wright, which may have been hidden in the coffee.
- Looking over the evidence, I think the peel and stick stickers on the coffee machine are probably going to play into things. Like maybe somebody swapped the stickers, for some reason. Not sure why they'd do that yet, because both Coffees ordered were black, so there couldn't have been any kind of trick that depended on someone mistakenly using the wrong coffee machine that wouldn't have affected both Wright and the Victim (assuming they each ordered coffee and they weren't both for the victim or something.) I'm looking forward to seeing how the mystery pans out.
- The Vera Misham trial stuff is interesting, although I'm not too sure where it's going yet.
Part 2 Thoughts
- Holy shit, Apollo! I love what you've done with him here. The "evidence is everything" angle is really interesting. He also looks great. I'm looking forward to seeing how that plays out.
- Not sure if Athena's sprites were made for this trial or not, but they look good either way. A good translation of her original model into 2D.
- Victim had a heart attack, huh? I wonder if maybe the medicine was actual heart medication, and him not having it is why he died.
- I don't know if this is an oversight or not (I'll find out, I suppose), but the crime scene photo doesn't match how we found the scene at all. The bag of medicine isn't in there, nor is the broken bottle or order paper.
- It's not a big deal at all, but it's just slightly immersion breaking for the key to the room to clearly be the Fey Channeling Room key. I mean it's even got the magatama symbol on it and everything. I get that finding a more generic looking key to use probably wasn't a huge priority, though. Just a nitpick. Who knows, maybe I'll be wrong and it'll play into something.
- Ema testifying about a disagreement she didn't witness would be hearsay in a real court (although it wouldn't be the first time something like that happened in Ace Attorney), so I'm glad pressing her to testify about that wasn't the right move.
- Oh nevermind, she isn't testifying that he actually attacked him, just that he had a motive to attack him, and a motive for there to be a disagreement, and painting a picture of what happened based on that. That makes sense.
- Uh oh, I don't remember the minutia of 4-1 that well. I'm not sure what the "Victim's Hand" is referring to in evidence. Hopefully it's not relevant, or it'll be explained. This case has been good about explaining things like that so far. It's a good thing I played Tournabout Trickery recently though cause it's been ages since I played Apollo Justice.
- Okay, time for the first objection. I'm not sure about this one, but Athena said there was a "problem" with the theory when I pressed the statement of him carrying a copy of the case file. I don't see any problem with that. So maybe I'll try presenting Kristoph on "He attacked the victim because he was looking into the case". Cause if Kristoph was already convicted for the case, Wright would have no reason to worry about it. Double Jeopardy, after all. If that doesn't work, then I'll try presenting the case file itself which directly says he was exonerated.
Spoiler : First Objection Failed Attempts :
- Welp, Gavin wasn't the answer, and neither was the Case File. Presenting the Case File on the previous statement also didn't work. Back to the drawing board. Maybe if I present the Victim's Profile on Wright attacking the victim, since the victim had an "anger problem." Nope, that wasn't it either. I'm down to 1 HP already on the first cross examination. Oof.
- Okay, maybe I wasn't thinking hard enough. After taking a look at the crime scene photo and the floor plan, it seems like maybe the trick here is that Wright was standing on opposite ends of the table from the victim, and the witness was on one side, while boxes were on the other, so he wouldn't have had a clean route toward the victim to attack him. But this is a little flimsy, since he could just move over the boxes, so I don't know. Well, if it doesn't work, at least I get to see what the game over scene looks like.
- Aaand, that was wrong too. Game over. Standard Game Over screen, nothing too crazy. I really don't want to give up and consult the walkthrough on the first roadblock like this.
- I'm not 100% sure what the shattered bottle being "broken from the bottom" means. Like, if it means that it wasn't swung like a club, but more, slammed down while holding it upright? That's a little confusing. Maybe if I try presenting the bottle on him attacking, that might be something. Nope, that's not it either.
- Maybe this is actually really pedantic and I'm supposed to present something on the first statement because technically he's not being accused of murder here, he's being accused of Voluntary Manslaughter. Unfortunately (or maybe luckily), there's no evidence that says that, so that's probably not it.
- Maybe it's just something like, it's not weird for the Chief Justice to be holding onto a case file? I'll try presenting the victim's profile, but I'm not too confident on this. Nope, that was wrong too.
- Okay I'm gonna guess it has to be the third statement since that's the one Athena gives her hint on. Unfortunately I have no idea what the problem she's talking about is.
- Maybe if I present the Floor Plans, that will show that there was a witness present, so they weren't really meeting privately? Nope, that's wrong too.
- Okay, I'm officially stumped. I'm gonna have to look at the walkthrough. I'll wait and see what the answer is before making a final judgement but at this point, I think this one is a little too obtuse. Maybe I'm just being stupid and overlooking something obvious, we'll see.
- Okay WHAT the darn diddly heck? I swear I presented that. I must have accidentally put it on the wrong statement. I even wrote down that I was going to do it. This one is totally on me, my bad. It was literally my first theory. -_- I'm a little salty, but that was totally my fault. I'm glad I wasn't totally off base at least.
- Okay, so after some minor (major) foibles, my theory was right. Phew. This next one is probably going to be on the new statement. I could present his profile picture to show he had a hat too... But I get the feeling that's probably not gonna be it. The only other possibility is that I should present the empty medicine bag, if we're assuming it couldn't have belonged to Wright. I think when we found it, it was mentioned that it probably fell out of the victim's pocket. But it doesn't appear in the Crime Photo, so I don't know. I'll give it a shot.
- And that was correct. Glad to see when I actually present my intended evidence on the right statement, I'm doing okay here. -_-
- So far this case is seeming very flimsy on the prosecutor's side. They haven't presented a single piece of decisive evidence that Wright actually attacked anyone, nor has there been any witness saying he has, apart from Ema suggesting the possibility. I'm guessing that's going to change soon.
- Trucy using the word "sus" makes me want to close this trial immediately and never play it again, but I'm going to press on and just pretend that never happened.
- Athena suddenly calling on the defendant to testify before the prosecution has even called all their witnesses is a little weird. I know Ace Attorney doesn't follow typical court conventions, but that's a little odd even by Ace Attorney standards. Not a big deal though.
- oh he's pleading the 5th. Nice jebait. Well, that's probably smart of him, considering nothing he says would be particularly beneficial to him. Cross examining someone pleading the 5th who hasn't actually testified anything is a little weird though. I'm not a lawyer, but I don't know if that's a thing. I would think there wouldn't exist any scope to ask questions within. The game is letting me, though, so I might as well. I'll ask him about the bottle first.
- The weird thing about Wright drinking grape juice is that two cups of coffee were ordered, so I'll go with that.
- Okay, both the coffees were for himself, so my earlier theory about the coffee maker is back on the table.
- I'll forgive some random person with white pants' legs being visible in the table photo because it's probably edited from the one in 4-1. Now that I think about it, it could even be
Spoiler : AA5 :
Detective Fullbright
posing for the picture when it was taken. It seems like whoever was on the far side of the table had the winning hand. It also seems like a piece of candle fell onto the table (I think?). Incidentally, there's a lit candle in the Crime Scene photo. There's also a couple of cards on the floor, but I don't know if they're relevant. It's a little tricky to think about how much I should compare and scrutinize these photos since obviously they weren't made specifically for this case. But I'm keeping my mind open.
- New witness time. Oleg O'Reilly. First impressions: He looks cool. I like the little wine glass animation going on there. The sprite is well done.
- Athena suddenly whipping out Widget 2.0 seems like it comes a little out of nowhere. Usually she notices some discord before suddenly deciding to use that. But the guy's barely said 2 lines and she just decided to use it a little spontaneously. Then everyone just immediately agrees to it without question. That could be a bit smoother. In the games, she usually only resorts to therapy when it's clear the witness has some emotional discord. If it were me, I would have him give the testimony first, without the mood matrix being shown, then she notices some discord and asks to use it for her cross examination. Not a huge deal, but I just think that would be smoother.
- Alright, so this guy is outright saying Wright attacked, which unless we've got some crazy lookalike scheme going on, means he's probably directly lying, and is probably either working with, or directly is the killer.
- Got him. He says Wright whacked him over the head with the bottle, which we know isn't true. Presenting the autopsy report here works.
- Okay, so of the three options here, "He's the real killer" is something I think might actually be true, but I feel like "He couldn't see" is more ace attorney-like, and Athena said "seeing" in red. So I'm gonna go with that one. Oh shit, it's asking me for evidence. Hmm. Maybe the Floor Plans? Nope, that one's wrong. I shouldn't just guess. But I can't think of any reason he wouldn't be able to see. Unless the room was dark, and Wright smashing the bottle caused the candle to go out? It's just a little weird. There's never been any mention of the room being dark up until now. I'll try presenting the Table Photo and if that doesn't work, then the Crime Photo. Alright, the Table Photo worked. Seems like it was that after all. I'm a little iffy on that one. Maybe if there was some foreshadowing of the room only being candle lit when we examined the room? Athena's saying she remembers that, but I don't remember it at all. Maybe I just spaced out and missed it. If so, that's my bad.
- Oh wow, I forgot that Apollo has his bracelet. He says he doesn't believe the witness is lying. But that could just be about the victim cheating. But then if he was lying about Wright attacking or flying into a rage earlier, I feel like Apollo would have noticed that.
- The ace of spades up his sleeve was probably the Bloody Ace. I'll try presenting that on him having an ace of spades up his sleeve, even though that's not really a "contradiction" per se. And it works.
- I tried presenting the Table Photo as to why there's a problem with an ace of spades, since there's an ace of spades in that photo already, in (I assume) Wright's hand. But that's wrong, so I'm not sure. Maybe it would be the fact that it was found on the victim's body, so I should present the ace itself. And there we go, that's it. Oh wait, it was the blood. That also makes sense. If he saw what card it was, he should have seen the blood too. Clever.
- O'Reilly feels fear when calling the victim nice. Maybe this is where the victim having "an anger problem" comes in. I'll present his profile. And it's correct.
- The only evidence we have of anything the victim did that has anything to do with O'Reilly was order coffee, so maybe I'll try presenting that. Oh, it's wrong. But they were nice and didn't give me a penalty. Maybe the shattered bottle, then? But that would be pure speculation since we have no way to tie it to the victim.
- Jumping to the victim attacking O'Reilly with the bottle isn't what I had in mind. I assumed she would say he attacked Wright. But it does make sense with why O'Reilly would feel fear.
- Okay, the victim was wearing gloves. That's the first time that was mentioned as far as I remember. That might have been nice to know.
- Oh, nice, I get it. In the table photo, the coffees clearly aren't black. I should have noticed that earlier. I almost feel like you gave that one to us a bit too easily, that could have been a good smoking gun to present in a cross examination if it wasn't handed to us on a platter by Trucy like that. But it's probably fine. So my current theory, then, is that someone switched the labels on the coffee machines, and he ended up making coffee that wasn't black (him not noticing this is kind of silly, but I can overlook that.) and got attacked with the bottle. But it's still a little unclear when this took place, if he was in the kitchen or in the room with them at the time. It's a little confusing. Maybe what happened was that the victim attacked O'Reilly with the bottle, missed, tripped and fell over, and that's what caused the heart attack. (Or O'Reilly pushed him away in self defense and that's what caused it) Then O'Reilly panicked and blamed it on the unconscious Phoenix. What I don't understand yet is why Wright was unconscious in the first place.
- Aaaand I accidentally presented the Crime Photo instead of the Table Photo. My bad. But the Table Photo was correct. And the reason he had to hide it, I guess, was because Marian Jir is a perfectionist who gets angry at the smallest mistake. But if someone switched the labels, she's the prime suspect.
- Just an aside, but I think Marian's perfectionism could have been emphasized a little better when we talked to her earlier. She seemed irritable and easily annoyed, but not so much about "mistakes" in particular. Like if Athena made some kind of mistake and got yelled at for it. Maybe presenting her irrelevant evidence would do that? Just a suggestion.
- I'm still finding it a little weird how O'Reilly clearly lied about things but Apollo didn't seem to pick up on those lies, yet he would use his bracelet and "I don't think he's lying" at certain other parts, to imply that he is actively looking for lies. I don't know, maybe just a bit confusing. Or maybe Apollo did pick up on certain lies, but ignored them because they didn't line up with the evidence, and "evidence is everything" to him now. But then it's still kind of weird that he would be using his bracelet still to point out when they're not lying. I don't know. Maybe Apollo is just a bit of a hypocrite now.
- I like the bit about how the two cases are blending together for Phoenix, with all the similarities they have. O'Reilly instead of Orly, the victim getting angry and attacking them, the poker game, etc. Re-using the animation from 4-1 was also a nice touch.
- So I'm thinking ahead now. Marian Jir is the prime suspect, as the only other person likely to have switched the labels. But there's a problem. The key was found on the victim's body, inside the room. So this is actually a bit of a locked room mystery, isn't it? It didn't hit me until now. Except, we know that Marian was the one who busted down the door. So she's the only person who can confirm whether the room was ever actually locked in the first place. So if she was lying about that, it all falls into place. I think I've got a solid theory at this point.
- Trucy's talking a lot about how Phoenix was as a lawyer, but she only saw him in one case, didn't she? I guess he'd have talked with her about his time as a lawyer though.
- Okay, Marian has an alibi. That complicates things, but it's just a flesh wound. I still think I can unravel it. It wasn't part of the testimony though, so I guess I can't do that right now.
- For now, I'll try presenting the Crime Photo on there only being one way into the kitchen, since maybe the portrait counts as another way in.
- Hmm, now it's asking me to point to it on the floor plan, but the window isn't marked on the floor plan. There's also a back entrance on the floor plan. I'm not sure what it wants here, but I'll try the spot where the window should be, and if that doesn't work, then I'll try both doors. Alright, the serving window was the answer, good. I'm not crazy.
- Okay I'm not sure what it wants here for the circumstances. My instinct is that the room was dark, but I'm not sure which piece of evidence shows that. I'll try the Table Photo, and if that doesn't work, the Crime Photo. Aaand those were wrong. So my next guess would be maybe because the key was handed out to the patron, it wasn't in Marian's control. And that's correct.
- I just realized, if Marian is a perfectionist, that's yet another similarity to 4-1 if she ends up being the true killer. But maybe there'll be a swerve there and that won't be the case. We'll see.
- I totally saw Phoenix's objection here coming, but I still smiled.
- Okay, one last witness, and it's a he. Well, I'm guessing it's neither Apollo, Justice, nor Kristoph Gavin, so maybe Oleg O'Reilly again? Actually, given Phoenix saying he "needs to get his act together", he's probably referring to himself. And that's the correct answer.
- First answer for Phoenix is pretty straight forward. Clarifying the surprise he has for the room going dark, with the Table Photo.
- Okay, I'm going to present O'Reilly's profile on "I think he hit her", cause I think he's mixing him up with Olga Orly. And it's correct.
- This one is a little tricky, not for anyone who's played Apollo Justice, but it requires knowledge that Olga Orly was a woman, which hasn't directly been stated at any point so far in this trial, and also isn't stated in the case file. I'm going to present the Case File regardless though, because it has her name in it. I don't think this is a big issue because this is so tied in with Apollo Justice that you'd expect anyone playing it to have played that game at least. But as I thought, that's the correct answer.
- Okay, we're pointing out the person who screamed. If O'Reilly was knocked out, then I don't think it was him. So it would have to be the victim. And it's correct. Apollo brings up a good point though. We don't have proof that O'Reilly was actually knocked out, since his entire testimony was discredited.
- I actually have no idea what evidence of an external factor there could be. Athena constantly freezing up since it's her first trial in this timeline is a nice touch.
- I'm curious where this butterfly stuff is going. I wonder if there will be multiple endings to this.
- Oh shit, we've got one of those mind dives. I should have expected that, but I didn't expect it at all. I'm hyped up.
- Okay, well if Marian and Oleg didn't do it, it would have to be Someone else. But we don't have any other suspects. I want to pick that just to see if that's even a possibility. It is?! Wait a second. If that's the case, there's only one person it could be. Only one other person was there that night in our list of profiles, and that's Trucy. Okay, crack theory time, but if Trucy was actually the one who forged the ace of spades (as is the commonly held theory), then she would have a motive to kill the Chief Justice. But how would it line up? Let's see what the next question is.
- Where was the killer, huh? The only possibility is that they were either in the Private Game Room or the Kitchen. They couldn't have killed the victim from anywhere else. So it has to be the Kitchen, I think. Okay, apparently not. We're going with Athena and Trucy making sure nobody could have gotten in there. Private Game Room wasn't correct either. So we're just going with Somewhere else? Okay, so they had to kill the victim indirectly. So it would be whoever switched the labels on the coffee machine.
- Maybe the killer also stole his heart medicine. And that's correct too.
- So one piece of evidence is wrong. The only thing I can think of is the Coffee Order. Maybe it wasn't written by the victim at all. Okay, that wasn't it. Actually, I guess the Autopsy Report would have to be wrong.
- Oh you cheeky little... I knew something was up when I saw the "Reviewed: 6:32 AM" part of the autopsy report, but I didn't know what to make of it. Alright, I mean, the moment was hype and then it turned into kind of a meme.
- I don't know, as the big climax reveal, just saying "the autopsy report is wrong" is a little bit memey and kind of weak, in my opinion. But, now that I really think about it, this makes a lot of thematic sense. Apollo's whole deal right now is "evidence is everything", and we're shattering his world by proving that the evidence can sometimes be wrong. So on that note, I do like it.
- I do get that it's not the defense's responsibility to solve the entire case in real life, but as far as Ace Attorney goes, leaving the killer unknown is a little anti-climactic, I have to admit.
- Apollo's rage is probably due to the Bloody Ace. Okay, apparently not. Then I have no idea. It's not Phoenix Himself. It's not the Case File. Attorney's Badge? No. Shattered Bottle? No. Table Photo? (Maybe because he lost at poker?) No. Vera Misham?
- Vera Misham seems to be the correct answer.
- Oh, it seems like there's a sequel planned here. If that's the case, then this case going unexplained makes sense.
- Alrighty, that's a wrap then. That was really great. It absolutely felt like playing an official case, and I was hooked the whole way through. I had some minor nitpicks here and there, but overall I had a lot of fun with it, and I tend to be pretty picky about fan-cases, so that's high praise from me. (Usually I can't play through a fan case all in one sitdown, but I couldn't put this one down the whole time.) The only character whose dialogue felt a bit "off" at times was Trucy's. She felt a little too... Modern teenage girl. Even though that's literally what she is, that's not generally how she talks in the games, so it was a little jarring to me. But every single other character was nailed 100% in my opinion.
Also, here are some small bugs/oversights I noticed:
Spoiler : :
-Presenting Widget to Marian Jir the first time you see her (before the therapy is triggered) gives you nothing. Not even a "(No sense in presenting that to her.)" line, just nothing. It's a little jarring since everything else has a line. Seems like a minor oversight.
-When the AJ-1 case file is shown on screen after presenting it in court, the text is cut off. Not a huge deal since it's the right size in the court record and can be read there, but just a little jarring. Same thing with when Apollo tells us to look at the evidence list, part of the line is cut off.
- After the first objection, Athena says "... because was protected by double jeopardy!". Just a minor typo, should be "he was"
- When cross-examining Phoenix for the first time, Athena mentions the fingerprints on the bottle are upside down, but nobody previous to that point ever mentioned that they were upside-down. They just mentioned that it was on the neck. I know that's how it was in 4-1, which it's meant to be an obvious parallel to, but it might still be a good idea to explicitly mention the upside-down part, since it's a little unintuitive.
- Apollo's objection sound is missing during O'Reilly's first testimony, when you press the 4th statement
- Super minor, but when O'Reilly drops his glass, the glass shattering sound effect plays right away but it takes him a couple seconds to actually drop the glass in his animation
- Typo shortly after the first recess. Apollo saying "But there's no reason to believe he used to bottle to do so." Should be "used the bottle to do so."
- Typo in Marian's first testimony. "There's only way into the kitchen" should be "There's only one way into the kitchen".
- One of the messages in the credits doesn't auto-advance.
User avatar
ZekromFan57
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:25 pm
Gender: Male
Spoken languages: English
Location: The Villas at Kenny's House.
Contact:

Re: [T][CE] Ace of Turnabouts ●

Post by ZekromFan57 »

nikekut456 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:20 pm I actually got a question about one thing:
Spoiler : :
About when the barista calling out that the victim was cheating:
- Isn't one look at the table photo pretty much proving Phoenix was winning? I mean, 2 cups of coffee was on the victim side?
Spoiler : :
The victim was winning, the coffees were just placed there by O'Reilly so they would be out of the way of the game, and the victim didn't drink until after the hand was shown.
nikekut456
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:39 pm
Gender: Male
Spoken languages: English

Re: [T][CE] Ace of Turnabouts ●

Post by nikekut456 »

ZekromFan57 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:00 pm
nikekut456 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:20 pm I actually got a question about one thing:
Spoiler : :
About when the barista calling out that the victim was cheating:
- Isn't one look at the table photo pretty much proving Phoenix was winning? I mean, 2 cups of coffee was on the victim side?
Spoiler : :
The victim was winning, the coffees were just placed there by O'Reilly so they would be out of the way of the game, and the victim didn't drink until after the hand was shown.
Spoiler : :
The right side was winning right ? Both side got full house but right side got 3 Ks.
So to me, it doesnt really make sense if those 2 coffee cups were on the other side instead.
Btw, I made the walkthrough video for anyone interested
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMsYu9JKV0I
User avatar
ZekromFan57
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:25 pm
Gender: Male
Spoken languages: English
Location: The Villas at Kenny's House.
Contact:

Re: [T][CE] Ace of Turnabouts ●

Post by ZekromFan57 »

nikekut456 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:26 pm
ZekromFan57 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:00 pm
nikekut456 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:20 pm I actually got a question about one thing:
Spoiler : :
About when the barista calling out that the victim was cheating:
- Isn't one look at the table photo pretty much proving Phoenix was winning? I mean, 2 cups of coffee was on the victim side?
Spoiler : :
The victim was winning, the coffees were just placed there by O'Reilly so they would be out of the way of the game, and the victim didn't drink until after the hand was shown.
Spoiler : :
The right side was winning right ? Both side got full house but right side got 3 Ks.
So to me, it doesnt really make sense if those 2 coffee cups were on the other side instead.
Btw, I made the walkthrough video for anyone interested
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMsYu9JKV0I
Spoiler : :
Alright, I'll explain in a bit more detail.
Basically, the right side was the victim's and the victim won the hand.
The barista was asked to deal the cards, so he just put the cups down at a random spot on the table.
The victim didn't drink any until after the game, at which point he stood up to retrieve one of the cups.
After taking a sip and realising it's not what he ordered, he grabs Wright's bottle and knocks out O'Reilly.
I hope I've explained everything in enough detail.
Also, was not expecting a walkthrough, especially not this quickly!
nikekut456
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:39 pm
Gender: Male
Spoken languages: English

Re: [T][CE] Ace of Turnabouts ●

Post by nikekut456 »

Alright then, I take ur explaination for now.
And yeah, because the moment I found out about the release of the fancase, I immediately recorded the BLIND RUN, lol.
User avatar
ZekromFan57
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:25 pm
Gender: Male
Spoken languages: English
Location: The Villas at Kenny's House.
Contact:

Re: [T][CE] Ace of Turnabouts ●

Post by ZekromFan57 »

TimeAxis wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:29 pm I loved it. If you want more detailed thoughts, I wrote out a play-by-play of my thoughts as I was playing through it. There are some minor nitpicks in there, and praises, a couple suggestions here and there, and pretty much everything I was thinking as I went through it.

I have not played many fan cases so far (I've played maybe 3 of them before this one), so this may not mean much, but this one is absolutely my favorite that I've played so far.
Spoiler : Play-By-Play Impressions (Warning: Long) :
Part 1 Thoughts
- Marian Jir's sprite is really nice. A pretty expressive character. (I don't get the pun with her name though, unless it's supposed to be a mangled version of "Manager")
Yep, it is.
I like the whole setup so far. I'm not the biggest Athena fan, but I think she's been captured perfectly here. Some of the jokey dialogue at the beginning wasn't my cup of tea (although it definitely fit Athena to a tee), but once the case really got going, things were great.
- I also love what you've done with Widget. Using it outside of court like that is pretty cool. I haven't played too many fan cases, so maybe that's something a lot of them do, but it was my first time seeing that, and I liked it.
- As far as the crime goes, so far I have no idea. I remember hearing glass shattering, then a few bangs. I think the bangs were Marian banging on the door (or maybe that's what she wants us to think). I don't have an autopsy report yet, so until I know the cause of death, I can't really say much. But I'm speculating that maybe the medicine was some kind of sleeping pill that knocked out Wright, which may have been hidden in the coffee.
- Looking over the evidence, I think the peel and stick stickers on the coffee machine are probably going to play into things. Like maybe somebody swapped the stickers, for some reason. Not sure why they'd do that yet, because both Coffees ordered were black, so there couldn't have been any kind of trick that depended on someone mistakenly using the wrong coffee machine that wouldn't have affected both Wright and the Victim (assuming they each ordered coffee and they weren't both for the victim or something.) I'm looking forward to seeing how the mystery pans out.
- The Vera Misham trial stuff is interesting, although I'm not too sure where it's going yet.
Part 2 Thoughts
- Holy shit, Apollo! I love what you've done with him here. The "evidence is everything" angle is really interesting. He also looks great. I'm looking forward to seeing how that plays out.
- Not sure if Athena's sprites were made for this trial or not, but they look good either way. A good translation of her original model into 2D.
- Victim had a heart attack, huh? I wonder if maybe the medicine was actual heart medication, and him not having it is why he died.
- I don't know if this is an oversight or not (I'll find out, I suppose), but the crime scene photo doesn't match how we found the scene at all. The bag of medicine isn't in there, nor is the broken bottle or order paper.
That was indeed an oversight, thanks for pointing it out. It's been fixed.
- It's not a big deal at all, but it's just slightly immersion breaking for the key to the room to clearly be the Fey Channeling Room key. I mean it's even got the magatama symbol on it and everything. I get that finding a more generic looking key to use probably wasn't a huge priority, though. Just a nitpick. Who knows, maybe I'll be wrong and it'll play into something.
That was the default key option, though I should be able to find a suitable substitute.
- Ema testifying about a disagreement she didn't witness would be hearsay in a real court (although it wouldn't be the first time something like that happened in Ace Attorney), so I'm glad pressing her to testify about that wasn't the right move.
- Oh nevermind, she isn't testifying that he actually attacked him, just that he had a motive to attack him, and a motive for there to be a disagreement, and painting a picture of what happened based on that. That makes sense.
- Uh oh, I don't remember the minutia of 4-1 that well. I'm not sure what the "Victim's Hand" is referring to in evidence. Hopefully it's not relevant, or it'll be explained.
It isn't relevant, but it's his cards in the poker game against Phoenix.
This case has been good about explaining things like that so far. It's a good thing I played Tournabout Trickery recently though cause it's been ages since I played Apollo Justice.
- Okay, time for the first objection. I'm not sure about this one, but Athena said there was a "problem" with the theory when I pressed the statement of him carrying a copy of the case file. I don't see any problem with that. So maybe I'll try presenting Kristoph on "He attacked the victim because he was looking into the case". Cause if Kristoph was already convicted for the case, Wright would have no reason to worry about it. Double Jeopardy, after all. If that doesn't work, then I'll try presenting the case file itself which directly says he was exonerated.
Spoiler : First Objection Failed Attempts :
- Welp, Gavin wasn't the answer, and neither was the Case File. Presenting the Case File on the previous statement also didn't work. Back to the drawing board. Maybe if I present the Victim's Profile on Wright attacking the victim, since the victim had an "anger problem." Nope, that wasn't it either. I'm down to 1 HP already on the first cross examination. Oof.
- Okay, maybe I wasn't thinking hard enough. After taking a look at the crime scene photo and the floor plan, it seems like maybe the trick here is that Wright was standing on opposite ends of the table from the victim, and the witness was on one side, while boxes were on the other, so he wouldn't have had a clean route toward the victim to attack him. But this is a little flimsy, since he could just move over the boxes, so I don't know. Well, if it doesn't work, at least I get to see what the game over scene looks like.
- Aaand, that was wrong too. Game over. Standard Game Over screen, nothing too crazy. I really don't want to give up and consult the walkthrough on the first roadblock like this.
- I'm not 100% sure what the shattered bottle being "broken from the bottom" means. Like, if it means that it wasn't swung like a club, but more, slammed down while holding it upright? That's a little confusing. Maybe if I try presenting the bottle on him attacking, that might be something. Nope, that's not it either.
- Maybe this is actually really pedantic and I'm supposed to present something on the first statement because technically he's not being accused of murder here, he's being accused of Voluntary Manslaughter. Unfortunately (or maybe luckily), there's no evidence that says that, so that's probably not it.
- Maybe it's just something like, it's not weird for the Chief Justice to be holding onto a case file? I'll try presenting the victim's profile, but I'm not too confident on this. Nope, that was wrong too.
- Okay I'm gonna guess it has to be the third statement since that's the one Athena gives her hint on. Unfortunately I have no idea what the problem she's talking about is.
- Maybe if I present the Floor Plans, that will show that there was a witness present, so they weren't really meeting privately? Nope, that's wrong too.
- Okay, I'm officially stumped. I'm gonna have to look at the walkthrough. I'll wait and see what the answer is before making a final judgement but at this point, I think this one is a little too obtuse. Maybe I'm just being stupid and overlooking something obvious, we'll see.
- Okay WHAT the darn diddly heck? I swear I presented that. I must have accidentally put it on the wrong statement. I even wrote down that I was going to do it. This one is totally on me, my bad. It was literally my first theory. -_- I'm a little salty, but that was totally my fault. I'm glad I wasn't totally off base at least.
:XD: Don't worry, that's happened to me before too.
- Okay, so after some minor (major) foibles, my theory was right. Phew. This next one is probably going to be on the new statement. I could present his profile picture to show he had a hat too... But I get the feeling that's probably not gonna be it. The only other possibility is that I should present the empty medicine bag, if we're assuming it couldn't have belonged to Wright. I think when we found it, it was mentioned that it probably fell out of the victim's pocket. But it doesn't appear in the Crime Photo, so I don't know. I'll give it a shot.
- And that was correct. Glad to see when I actually present my intended evidence on the right statement, I'm doing okay here. -_-
- So far this case is seeming very flimsy on the prosecutor's side. They haven't presented a single piece of decisive evidence that Wright actually attacked anyone, nor has there been any witness saying he has, apart from Ema suggesting the possibility. I'm guessing that's going to change soon.
- Trucy using the word "sus" makes me want to close this trial immediately and never play it again, but I'm going to press on and just pretend that never happened.
- Athena suddenly calling on the defendant to testify before the prosecution has even called all their witnesses is a little weird. I know Ace Attorney doesn't follow typical court conventions, but that's a little odd even by Ace Attorney standards. Not a big deal though.
- oh he's pleading the 5th. Nice jebait. Well, that's probably smart of him, considering nothing he says would be particularly beneficial to him. Cross examining someone pleading the 5th who hasn't actually testified anything is a little weird though. I'm not a lawyer, but I don't know if that's a thing. I would think there wouldn't exist any scope to ask questions within. The game is letting me, though, so I might as well. I'll ask him about the bottle first.
- The weird thing about Wright drinking grape juice is that two cups of coffee were ordered, so I'll go with that.
- Okay, both the coffees were for himself, so my earlier theory about the coffee maker is back on the table.
- I'll forgive some random person with white pants' legs being visible in the table photo because it's probably edited from the one in 4-1.
Now that I think about it, it could even be
Spoiler : AA5 :
Detective Fullbright
posing for the picture when it was taken.
I can totally picture him doing that, lol.
It seems like whoever was on the far side of the table had the winning hand. It also seems like a piece of candle fell onto the table (I think?). Incidentally, there's a lit candle in the Crime Scene photo. There's also a couple of cards on the floor, but I don't know if they're relevant. It's a little tricky to think about how much I should compare and scrutinize these photos since obviously they weren't made specifically for this case. But I'm keeping my mind open.
- New witness time. Oleg O'Reilly. First impressions: He looks cool. I like the little wine glass animation going on there. The sprite is well done.
- Athena suddenly whipping out Widget 2.0 seems like it comes a little out of nowhere. Usually she notices some discord before suddenly deciding to use that. But the guy's barely said 2 lines and she just decided to use it a little spontaneously. Then everyone just immediately agrees to it without question. That could be a bit smoother. In the games, she usually only resorts to therapy when it's clear the witness has some emotional discord. If it were me, I would have him give the testimony first, without the mood matrix being shown, then she notices some discord and asks to use it for her cross examination. Not a huge deal, but I just think that would be smoother.
- Alright, so this guy is outright saying Wright attacked, which unless we've got some crazy lookalike scheme going on, means he's probably directly lying, and is probably either working with, or directly is the killer.
- Got him. He says Wright whacked him over the head with the bottle, which we know isn't true. Presenting the autopsy report here works.
- Okay, so of the three options here, "He's the real killer" is something I think might actually be true, but I feel like "He couldn't see" is more ace attorney-like, and Athena said "seeing" in red. So I'm gonna go with that one. Oh shit, it's asking me for evidence. Hmm. Maybe the Floor Plans? Nope, that one's wrong. I shouldn't just guess. But I can't think of any reason he wouldn't be able to see. Unless the room was dark, and Wright smashing the bottle caused the candle to go out? It's just a little weird. There's never been any mention of the room being dark up until now. I'll try presenting the Table Photo and if that doesn't work, then the Crime Photo. Alright, the Table Photo worked. Seems like it was that after all. I'm a little iffy on that one. Maybe if there was some foreshadowing of the room only being candle lit when we examined the room? Athena's saying she remembers that, but I don't remember it at all. Maybe I just spaced out and missed it. If so, that's my bad.
- Oh wow, I forgot that Apollo has his bracelet. He says he doesn't believe the witness is lying. But that could just be about the victim cheating. But then if he was lying about Wright attacking or flying into a rage earlier, I feel like Apollo would have noticed that.
- The ace of spades up his sleeve was probably the Bloody Ace. I'll try presenting that on him having an ace of spades up his sleeve, even though that's not really a "contradiction" per se. And it works.
- I tried presenting the Table Photo as to why there's a problem with an ace of spades, since there's an ace of spades in that photo already, in (I assume) Wright's hand. But that's wrong, so I'm not sure. Maybe it would be the fact that it was found on the victim's body, so I should present the ace itself. And there we go, that's it. Oh wait, it was the blood. That also makes sense. If he saw what card it was, he should have seen the blood too. Clever.
- O'Reilly feels fear when calling the victim nice. Maybe this is where the victim having "an anger problem" comes in. I'll present his profile. And it's correct.
- The only evidence we have of anything the victim did that has anything to do with O'Reilly was order coffee, so maybe I'll try presenting that. Oh, it's wrong. But they were nice and didn't give me a penalty. Maybe the shattered bottle, then? But that would be pure speculation since we have no way to tie it to the victim.
- Jumping to the victim attacking O'Reilly with the bottle isn't what I had in mind. I assumed she would say he attacked Wright. But it does make sense with why O'Reilly would feel fear.
- Okay, the victim was wearing gloves. That's the first time that was mentioned as far as I remember. That might have been nice to know.
- Oh, nice, I get it. In the table photo, the coffees clearly aren't black. I should have noticed that earlier. I almost feel like you gave that one to us a bit too easily, that could have been a good smoking gun to present in a cross examination if it wasn't handed to us on a platter by Trucy like that. But it's probably fine. So my current theory, then, is that someone switched the labels on the coffee machines, and he ended up making coffee that wasn't black (him not noticing this is kind of silly, but I can overlook that.) and got attacked with the bottle. But it's still a little unclear when this took place, if he was in the kitchen or in the room with them at the time. It's a little confusing. Maybe what happened was that the victim attacked O'Reilly with the bottle, missed, tripped and fell over, and that's what caused the heart attack. (Or O'Reilly pushed him away in self defense and that's what caused it) Then O'Reilly panicked and blamed it on the unconscious Phoenix. What I don't understand yet is why Wright was unconscious in the first place.
- Aaaand I accidentally presented the Crime Photo instead of the Table Photo. My bad. But the Table Photo was correct. And the reason he had to hide it, I guess, was because Marian Jir is a perfectionist who gets angry at the smallest mistake. But if someone switched the labels, she's the prime suspect.
- Just an aside, but I think Marian's perfectionism could have been emphasized a little better when we talked to her earlier. She seemed irritable and easily annoyed, but not so much about "mistakes" in particular. Like if Athena made some kind of mistake and got yelled at for it. Maybe presenting her irrelevant evidence would do that? Just a suggestion.
The reason she cares about O'Reilly's mistakes is because it reflects badly on her, as she is obsessed with running the "best poker club in town", which is why O'Reilly is sure she will fire him if the truth comes out.
- I'm still finding it a little weird how O'Reilly clearly lied about things but Apollo didn't seem to pick up on those lies, yet he would use his bracelet and "I don't think he's lying" at certain other parts, to imply that he is actively looking for lies. I don't know, maybe just a bit confusing. Or maybe Apollo did pick up on certain lies, but ignored them because they didn't line up with the evidence, and "evidence is everything" to him now. But then it's still kind of weird that he would be using his bracelet still to point out when they're not lying. I don't know. Maybe Apollo is just a bit of a hypocrite now.
Well, in an actual court it would be strange for a prosecutor to suddenly claim their own witness is a liar, even though that has happened before in the games
Spoiler : PW1 Case 4 :
(with Edgeworth turning on his own witness, but the Judge points out how strange that is in that case)
It's not so much him being a hypocrite as him caring more about following the rules than other characters (this is also why he hasn't forgiven Phoenix about the forged ace).
- I like the bit about how the two cases are blending together for Phoenix, with all the similarities they have. O'Reilly instead of Orly, the victim getting angry and attacking them, the poker game, etc. Re-using the animation from 4-1 was also a nice touch.
- So I'm thinking ahead now. Marian Jir is the prime suspect, as the only other person likely to have switched the labels. But there's a problem. The key was found on the victim's body, inside the room. So this is actually a bit of a locked room mystery, isn't it? It didn't hit me until now. Except, we know that Marian was the one who busted down the door. So she's the only person who can confirm whether the room was ever actually locked in the first place. So if she was lying about that, it all falls into place. I think I've got a solid theory at this point.
Nice theory, too bad it was wrong lol.
- Trucy's talking a lot about how Phoenix was as a lawyer, but she only saw him in one case, didn't she? I guess he'd have talked with her about his time as a lawyer though.
- Okay, Marian has an alibi. That complicates things, but it's just a flesh wound. I still think I can unravel it. It wasn't part of the testimony though, so I guess I can't do that right now.
- For now, I'll try presenting the Crime Photo on there only being one way into the kitchen, since maybe the portrait counts as another way in.
- Hmm, now it's asking me to point to it on the floor plan, but the window isn't marked on the floor plan. There's also a back entrance on the floor plan. I'm not sure what it wants here, but I'll try the spot where the window should be, and if that doesn't work, then I'll try both doors. Alright, the serving window was the answer, good. I'm not crazy.
- Okay I'm not sure what it wants here for the circumstances. My instinct is that the room was dark, but I'm not sure which piece of evidence shows that. I'll try the Table Photo, and if that doesn't work, the Crime Photo. Aaand those were wrong. So my next guess would be maybe because the key was handed out to the patron, it wasn't in Marian's control. And that's correct.
- I just realized, if Marian is a perfectionist, that's yet another similarity to 4-1 if she ends up being the true killer. But maybe there'll be a swerve there and that won't be the case. We'll see.
- I totally saw Phoenix's objection here coming, but I still smiled.
- Okay, one last witness, and it's a he. Well, I'm guessing it's neither Apollo, Justice, nor Kristoph Gavin, so maybe Oleg O'Reilly again? Actually, given Phoenix saying he "needs to get his act together", he's probably referring to himself. And that's the correct answer.
- First answer for Phoenix is pretty straight forward. Clarifying the surprise he has for the room going dark, with the Table Photo.
- Okay, I'm going to present O'Reilly's profile on "I think he hit her", cause I think he's mixing him up with Olga Orly. And it's correct.
- This one is a little tricky, not for anyone who's played Apollo Justice, but it requires knowledge that Olga Orly was a woman, which hasn't directly been stated at any point so far in this trial, and also isn't stated in the case file. I'm going to present the Case File regardless though, because it has her name in it. I don't think this is a big issue because this is so tied in with Apollo Justice that you'd expect anyone playing it to have played that game at least. But as I thought, that's the correct answer.
- Okay, we're pointing out the person who screamed. If O'Reilly was knocked out, then I don't think it was him. So it would have to be the victim. And it's correct. Apollo brings up a good point though. We don't have proof that O'Reilly was actually knocked out, since his entire testimony was discredited.
- I actually have no idea what evidence of an external factor there could be. Athena constantly freezing up since it's her first trial in this timeline is a nice touch.
- I'm curious where this butterfly stuff is going. I wonder if there will be multiple endings to this.
- Oh shit, we've got one of those mind dives. I should have expected that, but I didn't expect it at all. I'm hyped up.
- Okay, well if Marian and Oleg didn't do it, it would have to be Someone else. But we don't have any other suspects. I want to pick that just to see if that's even a possibility. It is?! Wait a second. If that's the case, there's only one person it could be. Only one other person was there that night in our list of profiles, and that's Trucy. Okay, crack theory time, but if Trucy was actually the one who forged the ace of spades (as is the commonly held theory), then she would have a motive to kill the Chief Justice. But how would it line up? Let's see what the next question is.
- Where was the killer, huh? The only possibility is that they were either in the Private Game Room or the Kitchen. They couldn't have killed the victim from anywhere else. So it has to be the Kitchen, I think. Okay, apparently not. We're going with Athena and Trucy making sure nobody could have gotten in there. Private Game Room wasn't correct either. So we're just going with Somewhere else? Okay, so they had to kill the victim indirectly. So it would be whoever switched the labels on the coffee machine.
- Maybe the killer also stole his heart medicine. And that's correct too.
- So one piece of evidence is wrong. The only thing I can think of is the Coffee Order. Maybe it wasn't written by the victim at all. Okay, that wasn't it. Actually, I guess the Autopsy Report would have to be wrong.
- Oh you cheeky little... I knew something was up when I saw the "Reviewed: 6:32 AM" part of the autopsy report, but I didn't know what to make of it. Alright, I mean, the moment was hype and then it turned into kind of a meme.
- I don't know, as the big climax reveal, just saying "the autopsy report is wrong" is a little bit memey and kind of weak, in my opinion. But, now that I really think about it, this makes a lot of thematic sense. Apollo's whole deal right now is "evidence is everything", and we're shattering his world by proving that the evidence can sometimes be wrong. So on that note, I do like it.
- I do get that it's not the defense's responsibility to solve the entire case in real life, but as far as Ace Attorney goes, leaving the killer unknown is a little anti-climactic, I have to admit.
- Apollo's rage is probably due to the Bloody Ace. Okay, apparently not. Then I have no idea. It's not Phoenix Himself. It's not the Case File. Attorney's Badge? No. Shattered Bottle? No. Table Photo? (Maybe because he lost at poker?) No. Vera Misham?
- Vera Misham seems to be the correct answer.
It's a combination of the Misham Trial and the Bloody Ace, so the player has to present both in any order.
- Oh, it seems like there's a sequel planned here. If that's the case, then this case going unexplained makes sense.
- Alrighty, that's a wrap then. That was really great. It absolutely felt like playing an official case, and I was hooked the whole way through. I had some minor nitpicks here and there, but overall I had a lot of fun with it, and I tend to be pretty picky about fan-cases, so that's high praise from me. (Usually I can't play through a fan case all in one sitdown, but I couldn't put this one down the whole time.) The only character whose dialogue felt a bit "off" at times was Trucy's. She felt a little too... Modern teenage girl. Even though that's literally what she is, that's not generally how she talks in the games, so it was a little jarring to me. But every single other character was nailed 100% in my opinion.
Also, here are some small bugs/oversights I noticed:
Spoiler : :
-Presenting Widget to Marian Jir the first time you see her (before the therapy is triggered) gives you nothing. Not even a "(No sense in presenting that to her.)" line, just nothing. It's a little jarring since everything else has a line. Seems like a minor oversight.
-When the AJ-1 case file is shown on screen after presenting it in court, the text is cut off. Not a huge deal since it's the right size in the court record and can be read there, but just a little jarring. Same thing with when Apollo tells us to look at the evidence list, part of the line is cut off.
- After the first objection, Athena says "... because was protected by double jeopardy!". Just a minor typo, should be "he was"
- When cross-examining Phoenix for the first time, Athena mentions the fingerprints on the bottle are upside down, but nobody previous to that point ever mentioned that they were upside-down. They just mentioned that it was on the neck. I know that's how it was in 4-1, which it's meant to be an obvious parallel to, but it might still be a good idea to explicitly mention the upside-down part, since it's a little unintuitive.
- Apollo's objection sound is missing during O'Reilly's first testimony, when you press the 4th statement
- Super minor, but when O'Reilly drops his glass, the glass shattering sound effect plays right away but it takes him a couple seconds to actually drop the glass in his animation
- Typo shortly after the first recess. Apollo saying "But there's no reason to believe he used to bottle to do so." Should be "used the bottle to do so."
- Typo in Marian's first testimony. "There's only way into the kitchen" should be "There's only one way into the kitchen".
- One of the messages in the credits doesn't auto-advance.
Thanks for the detailed bug reports, I shall make sure these are dealt with. With regards to the glass shattering sound effect with O'Reilly's sprite, that's just the way the engine works with sound effects that match with sprites. Most work as intended; it's just custom sprites that can sometimes have issues.
Thanks so much for playing and typing such a detailed response! I've responded in red.
User avatar
TimeAxis
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:27 pm
Spoken languages: English

Re: [T][CE] Ace of Turnabouts ●

Post by TimeAxis »

Spoiler : Response :
It isn't relevant, but it's his cards in the poker game against Phoenix.
Oh right, duh. I was thinking someone got their hand cut off or there was a certain mark on his actual hand, or something. I should have remembered it was a poker themed case.
Well, in an actual court it would be strange for a prosecutor to suddenly claim their own witness is a liar, even though that has happened before in the games. It's not so much him being a hypocrite as him caring more about following the rules than other characters (this is also why he hasn't forgiven Phoenix about the forged ace).
It would be strange, sure, but it's not so much a "rule", as it is disadvantageous to do so. If he actually does know when his witness is lying but ignores it, then that gives me a bit of a negative opinion of him. Most other prosecutors have the excuse that they can't be sure their witnesses are lying (except for obviously evil ones like Von Karma). In his case it feels like he's actively ignoring lies when it's convenient. I don't think this is a bad thing from a story perspective. It shows the way he's deviated from his old self, and is interesting.
The gimmicky workaround solution for the sound effect matching the animation, if you're interested, would be to divide the animation into two and have the second part begin when the sound effect is supposed to play, and have it play after the first, with the frames timed to match it. The other option, of course, would be to just edit the sound effect in audacity and give it bit of silence at the beginning for the duration of the animation. But it's probably not worth going through all that effort for such a minor effect, so I don't really blame you for just leaving it as is. The engine has its limitations, but there are usually workarounds. Just a question of how worth it it is most of the time.
User avatar
ikuzonos
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:54 am
Spoken languages: English, limited French

Re: [T][CE] Ace of Turnabouts ●

Post by ikuzonos »

I've only played through Part One so far, but I'm very invested in this case already! I definitely see why you won the competition; this is amazing.
Spoiler : :
I love Athena and Trucy's dynamic, I think they work together really well and honestly, we were robbed of it in canon. The mystery is crafted really well so far, and I'm very excited to see how everything gets turned on its head come the trial. This feels like a very natural butterfly effect! I love the Mood Matrix functionality too. My current theory is that the unmarked medicine bag has something to do with why Phoenix doesn't remember the crime (strong chance he was drugged).

There is one thing I want to ask about; I've noticed that the screen flashes a lot, like every few frames. Is there a reason for that? It's giving me a bit of a headache, so I'm taking a break before Part Two.
Excited to see how the case ends.
You can call me ikuzonos, but my name is Sparrow!
they/them | 20 | part time college student, full time fool
My trials: Paint Ghosts Over Everything, Turnabout Smokescreen (coming soon!)
User avatar
Bannedfrom7
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:29 pm
Gender: Male
Spoken languages: English
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: [T][CE] Ace of Turnabouts ●

Post by Bannedfrom7 »

Played through all of it!:
Spoiler : :
What an amazing case! I loved the solution, it was crafted really well. It's no wonder this won best mystery of the competition! The butterfly effect was done perfectly as well! I loved all the characters throughout the case, they were really fun and interesting to see! Congratulations on you both for winning the competition, you both certainly earned it!

I also want to ask if there will be a follow up to the story? I'm curious to see where it will go next. Again, congratulations and thank you for making such a fantastic case!
I am Banned
User avatar
drvonkitty
Posts: 498
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:25 am
Gender: Male
Spoken languages: English

Re: [T][CE] Ace of Turnabouts ●

Post by drvonkitty »

TimeAxis wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:29 pm I loved it. If you want more detailed thoughts, I wrote out a play-by-play of my thoughts as I was playing through it. There are some minor nitpicks in there, and praises, a couple suggestions here and there, and pretty much everything I was thinking as I went through it.

I have not played many fan cases so far (I've played maybe 3 of them before this one), so this may not mean much, but this one is absolutely my favorite that I've played so far.
Spoiler : Play-By-Play Impressions (Warning: Long) :
Part 1 Thoughts
- Marian Jir's sprite is really nice. A pretty expressive character. (I don't get the pun with her name though, unless it's supposed to be a mangled version of "Manager") I like the whole setup so far. I'm not the biggest Athena fan, but I think she's been captured perfectly here. Some of the jokey dialogue at the beginning wasn't my cup of tea (although it definitely fit Athena to a tee), but once the case really got going, things were great.
- I also love what you've done with Widget. Using it outside of court like that is pretty cool. I haven't played too many fan cases, so maybe that's something a lot of them do, but it was my first time seeing that, and I liked it.
Thanks! It was designed for my other case, A Turnabout Called Justice.
- As far as the crime goes, so far I have no idea. I remember hearing glass shattering, then a few bangs. I think the bangs were Marian banging on the door (or maybe that's what she wants us to think). I don't have an autopsy report yet, so until I know the cause of death, I can't really say much. But I'm speculating that maybe the medicine was some kind of sleeping pill that knocked out Wright, which may have been hidden in the coffee.
- Looking over the evidence, I think the peel and stick stickers on the coffee machine are probably going to play into things. Like maybe somebody swapped the stickers, for some reason. Not sure why they'd do that yet, because both Coffees ordered were black, so there couldn't have been any kind of trick that depended on someone mistakenly using the wrong coffee machine that wouldn't have affected both Wright and the Victim (assuming they each ordered coffee and they weren't both for the victim or something.) I'm looking forward to seeing how the mystery pans out.
- The Vera Misham trial stuff is interesting, although I'm not too sure where it's going yet.
Part 2 Thoughts
- Holy shit, Apollo! I love what you've done with him here. The "evidence is everything" angle is really interesting. He also looks great. I'm looking forward to seeing how that plays out.
I'm glad! I was worried he was a bit out of character (even though his character is going to way different because of the AU), but so far everyone's feedback has been positive.
- Not sure if Athena's sprites were made for this trial or not, but they look good either way. A good translation of her original model into 2D.
They were a collaborative effort by the community to make it so we could use her in fancases!
- Victim had a heart attack, huh? I wonder if maybe the medicine was actual heart medication, and him not having it is why he died.
- I don't know if this is an oversight or not (I'll find out, I suppose), but the crime scene photo doesn't match how we found the scene at all. The bag of medicine isn't in there, nor is the broken bottle or order paper.
- It's not a big deal at all, but it's just slightly immersion breaking for the key to the room to clearly be the Fey Channeling Room key. I mean it's even got the magatama symbol on it and everything. I get that finding a more generic looking key to use probably wasn't a huge priority, though. Just a nitpick. Who knows, maybe I'll be wrong and it'll play into something.
- Ema testifying about a disagreement she didn't witness would be hearsay in a real court (although it wouldn't be the first time something like that happened in Ace Attorney), so I'm glad pressing her to testify about that wasn't the right move.
Depends on if she was eliciting a specific statement or not. Wright's statements is classified as a party opponent statement which isn't hearsay (what you say can and will be used against you). The victim's statement depends on if there's an exception--since it's a disagreement, it would probably be an excited utterance, which is an exception to the hearsay rule. The real problem would be assuming facts not in evidence and improper speculation, since Ema didn't witness the disagreement. But, like you said, not a real court lol.
- Oh nevermind, she isn't testifying that he actually attacked him, just that he had a motive to attack him, and a motive for there to be a disagreement, and painting a picture of what happened based on that. That makes sense.
- Uh oh, I don't remember the minutia of 4-1 that well. I'm not sure what the "Victim's Hand" is referring to in evidence. Hopefully it's not relevant, or it'll be explained. This case has been good about explaining things like that so far. It's a good thing I played Tournabout Trickery recently though cause it's been ages since I played Apollo Justice.
Yeah, not relevant.
- Okay, time for the first objection. I'm not sure about this one, but Athena said there was a "problem" with the theory when I pressed the statement of him carrying a copy of the case file. I don't see any problem with that. So maybe I'll try presenting Kristoph on "He attacked the victim because he was looking into the case". Cause if Kristoph was already convicted for the case, Wright would have no reason to worry about it. Double Jeopardy, after all. If that doesn't work, then I'll try presenting the case file itself which directly says he was exonerated.
Spoiler : First Objection Failed Attempts :
- Welp, Gavin wasn't the answer, and neither was the Case File. Presenting the Case File on the previous statement also didn't work. Back to the drawing board. Maybe if I present the Victim's Profile on Wright attacking the victim, since the victim had an "anger problem." Nope, that wasn't it either. I'm down to 1 HP already on the first cross examination. Oof.
- Okay, maybe I wasn't thinking hard enough. After taking a look at the crime scene photo and the floor plan, it seems like maybe the trick here is that Wright was standing on opposite ends of the table from the victim, and the witness was on one side, while boxes were on the other, so he wouldn't have had a clean route toward the victim to attack him. But this is a little flimsy, since he could just move over the boxes, so I don't know. Well, if it doesn't work, at least I get to see what the game over scene looks like.
- Aaand, that was wrong too. Game over. Standard Game Over screen, nothing too crazy. I really don't want to give up and consult the walkthrough on the first roadblock like this.
- I'm not 100% sure what the shattered bottle being "broken from the bottom" means. Like, if it means that it wasn't swung like a club, but more, slammed down while holding it upright? That's a little confusing. Maybe if I try presenting the bottle on him attacking, that might be something. Nope, that's not it either.
- Maybe this is actually really pedantic and I'm supposed to present something on the first statement because technically he's not being accused of murder here, he's being accused of Voluntary Manslaughter. Unfortunately (or maybe luckily), there's no evidence that says that, so that's probably not it.
- Maybe it's just something like, it's not weird for the Chief Justice to be holding onto a case file? I'll try presenting the victim's profile, but I'm not too confident on this. Nope, that was wrong too.
- Okay I'm gonna guess it has to be the third statement since that's the one Athena gives her hint on. Unfortunately I have no idea what the problem she's talking about is.
- Maybe if I present the Floor Plans, that will show that there was a witness present, so they weren't really meeting privately? Nope, that's wrong too.
- Okay, I'm officially stumped. I'm gonna have to look at the walkthrough. I'll wait and see what the answer is before making a final judgement but at this point, I think this one is a little too obtuse. Maybe I'm just being stupid and overlooking something obvious, we'll see.
- Okay WHAT the darn diddly heck? I swear I presented that. I must have accidentally put it on the wrong statement. I even wrote down that I was going to do it. This one is totally on me, my bad. It was literally my first theory. -_- I'm a little salty, but that was totally my fault. I'm glad I wasn't totally off base at least.
- Okay, so after some minor (major) foibles, my theory was right. Phew. This next one is probably going to be on the new statement. I could present his profile picture to show he had a hat too... But I get the feeling that's probably not gonna be it. The only other possibility is that I should present the empty medicine bag, if we're assuming it couldn't have belonged to Wright. I think when we found it, it was mentioned that it probably fell out of the victim's pocket. But it doesn't appear in the Crime Photo, so I don't know. I'll give it a shot.
- And that was correct. Glad to see when I actually present my intended evidence on the right statement, I'm doing okay here. -_-
- So far this case is seeming very flimsy on the prosecutor's side. They haven't presented a single piece of decisive evidence that Wright actually attacked anyone, nor has there been any witness saying he has, apart from Ema suggesting the possibility. I'm guessing that's going to change soon.
- Trucy using the word "sus" makes me want to close this trial immediately and never play it again, but I'm going to press on and just pretend that never happened.
- Athena suddenly calling on the defendant to testify before the prosecution has even called all their witnesses is a little weird. I know Ace Attorney doesn't follow typical court conventions, but that's a little odd even by Ace Attorney standards. Not a big deal though.
- oh he's pleading the 5th. Nice jebait. Well, that's probably smart of him, considering nothing he says would be particularly beneficial to him. Cross examining someone pleading the 5th who hasn't actually testified anything is a little weird though. I'm not a lawyer, but I don't know if that's a thing. I would think there wouldn't exist any scope to ask questions within. The game is letting me, though, so I might as well. I'll ask him about the bottle first.
Oh yeah, the concept of cross-examining someone who's pleading silence is absolutely grounds for a mis-trial. But this is Ace Attorney, and who knows how pleading silence works in that universe? It doesn't really seem to be correlated to the fifth amendment (I actually don't know if there's a Japanese equivalent!) In terms of the purpose of the testimony, the goal was to help build some tension and reinforce the way that Phoenix is acting out of character. In 4-1, Phoenix pleads silence in a strategic and controlled manner; here, he's doing so because he's confused and terrified. One thing I'm trying to improve on is using testimonies in a deliberate way to build narrative tension. I think that's one of the keys to making a good AA case, and it's an area I really want to improve in.
- The weird thing about Wright drinking grape juice is that two cups of coffee were ordered, so I'll go with that.
- Okay, both the coffees were for himself, so my earlier theory about the coffee maker is back on the table.
- I'll forgive some random person with white pants' legs being visible in the table photo because it's probably edited from the one in 4-1. Now that I think about it, it could even be
Spoiler : AA5 :
Detective Fullbright
posing for the picture when it was taken. It seems like whoever was on the far side of the table had the winning hand. It also seems like a piece of candle fell onto the table (I think?). Incidentally, there's a lit candle in the Crime Scene photo. There's also a couple of cards on the floor, but I don't know if they're relevant. It's a little tricky to think about how much I should compare and scrutinize these photos since obviously they weren't made specifically for this case. But I'm keeping my mind open.
- New witness time. Oleg O'Reilly. First impressions: He looks cool. I like the little wine glass animation going on there. The sprite is well done.
- Athena suddenly whipping out Widget 2.0 seems like it comes a little out of nowhere. Usually she notices some discord before suddenly deciding to use that. But the guy's barely said 2 lines and she just decided to use it a little spontaneously. Then everyone just immediately agrees to it without question. That could be a bit smoother. In the games, she usually only resorts to therapy when it's clear the witness has some emotional discord. If it were me, I would have him give the testimony first, without the mood matrix being shown, then she notices some discord and asks to use it for her cross examination. Not a huge deal, but I just think that would be smoother.
- Alright, so this guy is outright saying Wright attacked, which unless we've got some crazy lookalike scheme going on, means he's probably directly lying, and is probably either working with, or directly is the killer.
- Got him. He says Wright whacked him over the head with the bottle, which we know isn't true. Presenting the autopsy report here works.
- Okay, so of the three options here, "He's the real killer" is something I think might actually be true, but I feel like "He couldn't see" is more ace attorney-like, and Athena said "seeing" in red. So I'm gonna go with that one. Oh shit, it's asking me for evidence. Hmm. Maybe the Floor Plans? Nope, that one's wrong. I shouldn't just guess. But I can't think of any reason he wouldn't be able to see. Unless the room was dark, and Wright smashing the bottle caused the candle to go out? It's just a little weird. There's never been any mention of the room being dark up until now. I'll try presenting the Table Photo and if that doesn't work, then the Crime Photo. Alright, the Table Photo worked. Seems like it was that after all. I'm a little iffy on that one. Maybe if there was some foreshadowing of the room only being candle lit when we examined the room? Athena's saying she remembers that, but I don't remember it at all. Maybe I just spaced out and missed it. If so, that's my bad.
- Oh wow, I forgot that Apollo has his bracelet. He says he doesn't believe the witness is lying. But that could just be about the victim cheating. But then if he was lying about Wright attacking or flying into a rage earlier, I feel like Apollo would have noticed that.
This is kind of a general problem with the magic lawyer powers--they don't follow consistent rules. Being able to detect lies should come up a lot more than it does, but I guess that just comes down to suspension of disbelief.
- The ace of spades up his sleeve was probably the Bloody Ace. I'll try presenting that on him having an ace of spades up his sleeve, even though that's not really a "contradiction" per se. And it works.
- I tried presenting the Table Photo as to why there's a problem with an ace of spades, since there's an ace of spades in that photo already, in (I assume) Wright's hand. But that's wrong, so I'm not sure. Maybe it would be the fact that it was found on the victim's body, so I should present the ace itself. And there we go, that's it. Oh wait, it was the blood. That also makes sense. If he saw what card it was, he should have seen the blood too. Clever.
- O'Reilly feels fear when calling the victim nice. Maybe this is where the victim having "an anger problem" comes in. I'll present his profile. And it's correct.
- The only evidence we have of anything the victim did that has anything to do with O'Reilly was order coffee, so maybe I'll try presenting that. Oh, it's wrong. But they were nice and didn't give me a penalty. Maybe the shattered bottle, then? But that would be pure speculation since we have no way to tie it to the victim.
- Jumping to the victim attacking O'Reilly with the bottle isn't what I had in mind. I assumed she would say he attacked Wright. But it does make sense with why O'Reilly would feel fear.
- Okay, the victim was wearing gloves. That's the first time that was mentioned as far as I remember. That might have been nice to know.
- Oh, nice, I get it. In the table photo, the coffees clearly aren't black. I should have noticed that earlier. I almost feel like you gave that one to us a bit too easily, that could have been a good smoking gun to present in a cross examination if it wasn't handed to us on a platter by Trucy like that. But it's probably fine. So my current theory, then, is that someone switched the labels on the coffee machines, and he ended up making coffee that wasn't black (him not noticing this is kind of silly, but I can overlook that.) and got attacked with the bottle. But it's still a little unclear when this took place, if he was in the kitchen or in the room with them at the time. It's a little confusing. Maybe what happened was that the victim attacked O'Reilly with the bottle, missed, tripped and fell over, and that's what caused the heart attack. (Or O'Reilly pushed him away in self defense and that's what caused it) Then O'Reilly panicked and blamed it on the unconscious Phoenix. What I don't understand yet is why Wright was unconscious in the first place.
- Aaaand I accidentally presented the Crime Photo instead of the Table Photo. My bad. But the Table Photo was correct. And the reason he had to hide it, I guess, was because Marian Jir is a perfectionist who gets angry at the smallest mistake. But if someone switched the labels, she's the prime suspect.
- Just an aside, but I think Marian's perfectionism could have been emphasized a little better when we talked to her earlier. She seemed irritable and easily annoyed, but not so much about "mistakes" in particular. Like if Athena made some kind of mistake and got yelled at for it. Maybe presenting her irrelevant evidence would do that? Just a suggestion.
This is fair. It's a bit hidden, but if you present her profile to Ema, Ema tells you how Marian inherited the theater from her father, and Athena speculates that she's insecure about getting it for free and feels a need to prove herself.
- I'm still finding it a little weird how O'Reilly clearly lied about things but Apollo didn't seem to pick up on those lies, yet he would use his bracelet and "I don't think he's lying" at certain other parts, to imply that he is actively looking for lies. I don't know, maybe just a bit confusing. Or maybe Apollo did pick up on certain lies, but ignored them because they didn't line up with the evidence, and "evidence is everything" to him now. But then it's still kind of weird that he would be using his bracelet still to point out when they're not lying. I don't know. Maybe Apollo is just a bit of a hypocrite now.
He's misguided for sure, but not a hypocrite. He's not actively trying to obscure the truth like many other prosecutors. Like I said, the bracelet's power is somewhat inconsistent. I think the explanation is that it only shows for nervous habits (and I like when it's used to specifically connect the tic back to the testimony). With Apollo saying he DOESN'T think the witness is lying though, that explanation is kind of bunk. But y'know, it really do be like that sometimes.
- I like the bit about how the two cases are blending together for Phoenix, with all the similarities they have. O'Reilly instead of Orly, the victim getting angry and attacking them, the poker game, etc. Re-using the animation from 4-1 was also a nice touch.
- So I'm thinking ahead now. Marian Jir is the prime suspect, as the only other person likely to have switched the labels. But there's a problem. The key was found on the victim's body, inside the room. So this is actually a bit of a locked room mystery, isn't it? It didn't hit me until now. Except, we know that Marian was the one who busted down the door. So she's the only person who can confirm whether the room was ever actually locked in the first place. So if she was lying about that, it all falls into place. I think I've got a solid theory at this point.
- Trucy's talking a lot about how Phoenix was as a lawyer, but she only saw him in one case, didn't she? I guess he'd have talked with her about his time as a lawyer though.
- Okay, Marian has an alibi. That complicates things, but it's just a flesh wound. I still think I can unravel it. It wasn't part of the testimony though, so I guess I can't do that right now.
- For now, I'll try presenting the Crime Photo on there only being one way into the kitchen, since maybe the portrait counts as another way in.
- Hmm, now it's asking me to point to it on the floor plan, but the window isn't marked on the floor plan. There's also a back entrance on the floor plan. I'm not sure what it wants here, but I'll try the spot where the window should be, and if that doesn't work, then I'll try both doors. Alright, the serving window was the answer, good. I'm not crazy.
- Okay I'm not sure what it wants here for the circumstances. My instinct is that the room was dark, but I'm not sure which piece of evidence shows that. I'll try the Table Photo, and if that doesn't work, the Crime Photo. Aaand those were wrong. So my next guess would be maybe because the key was handed out to the patron, it wasn't in Marian's control. And that's correct.
- I just realized, if Marian is a perfectionist, that's yet another similarity to 4-1 if she ends up being the true killer. But maybe there'll be a swerve there and that won't be the case. We'll see.
- I totally saw Phoenix's objection here coming, but I still smiled.
- Okay, one last witness, and it's a he. Well, I'm guessing it's neither Apollo, Justice, nor Kristoph Gavin, so maybe Oleg O'Reilly again? Actually, given Phoenix saying he "needs to get his act together", he's probably referring to himself. And that's the correct answer.
- First answer for Phoenix is pretty straight forward. Clarifying the surprise he has for the room going dark, with the Table Photo.
- Okay, I'm going to present O'Reilly's profile on "I think he hit her", cause I think he's mixing him up with Olga Orly. And it's correct.
- This one is a little tricky, not for anyone who's played Apollo Justice, but it requires knowledge that Olga Orly was a woman, which hasn't directly been stated at any point so far in this trial, and also isn't stated in the case file. I'm going to present the Case File regardless though, because it has her name in it. I don't think this is a big issue because this is so tied in with Apollo Justice that you'd expect anyone playing it to have played that game at least. But as I thought, that's the correct answer.
- Okay, we're pointing out the person who screamed. If O'Reilly was knocked out, then I don't think it was him. So it would have to be the victim. And it's correct. Apollo brings up a good point though. We don't have proof that O'Reilly was actually knocked out, since his entire testimony was discredited.
- I actually have no idea what evidence of an external factor there could be. Athena constantly freezing up since it's her first trial in this timeline is a nice touch.
- I'm curious where this butterfly stuff is going. I wonder if there will be multiple endings to this.
- Oh shit, we've got one of those mind dives. I should have expected that, but I didn't expect it at all. I'm hyped up.
- Okay, well if Marian and Oleg didn't do it, it would have to be Someone else. But we don't have any other suspects. I want to pick that just to see if that's even a possibility. It is?! Wait a second. If that's the case, there's only one person it could be. Only one other person was there that night in our list of profiles, and that's Trucy. Okay, crack theory time, but if Trucy was actually the one who forged the ace of spades (as is the commonly held theory), then she would have a motive to kill the Chief Justice. But how would it line up? Let's see what the next question is.
- Where was the killer, huh? The only possibility is that they were either in the Private Game Room or the Kitchen. They couldn't have killed the victim from anywhere else. So it has to be the Kitchen, I think. Okay, apparently not. We're going with Athena and Trucy making sure nobody could have gotten in there. Private Game Room wasn't correct either. So we're just going with Somewhere else? Okay, so they had to kill the victim indirectly. So it would be whoever switched the labels on the coffee machine.
- Maybe the killer also stole his heart medicine. And that's correct too.
- So one piece of evidence is wrong. The only thing I can think of is the Coffee Order. Maybe it wasn't written by the victim at all. Okay, that wasn't it. Actually, I guess the Autopsy Report would have to be wrong.
- Oh you cheeky little... I knew something was up when I saw the "Reviewed: 6:32 AM" part of the autopsy report, but I didn't know what to make of it. Alright, I mean, the moment was hype and then it turned into kind of a meme.
- I don't know, as the big climax reveal, just saying "the autopsy report is wrong" is a little bit memey and kind of weak, in my opinion. But, now that I really think about it, this makes a lot of thematic sense. Apollo's whole deal right now is "evidence is everything", and we're shattering his world by proving that the evidence can sometimes be wrong. So on that note, I do like it.
It's not my favorite part of the case by any means, as it lacks the "oomph" of a typical Ace Attorney final present and turnabout. It's a little meme-y, but like you said, it does have a lot of thematic relevance. Evidence is not infallible!
- I do get that it's not the defense's responsibility to solve the entire case in real life, but as far as Ace Attorney goes, leaving the killer unknown is a little anti-climactic, I have to admit.
- Apollo's rage is probably due to the Bloody Ace. Okay, apparently not. Then I have no idea. It's not Phoenix Himself. It's not the Case File. Attorney's Badge? No. Shattered Bottle? No. Table Photo? (Maybe because he lost at poker?) No. Vera Misham?
- Vera Misham seems to be the correct answer.
- Oh, it seems like there's a sequel planned here. If that's the case, then this case going unexplained makes sense.
- Alrighty, that's a wrap then. That was really great. It absolutely felt like playing an official case, and I was hooked the whole way through. I had some minor nitpicks here and there, but overall I had a lot of fun with it, and I tend to be pretty picky about fan-cases, so that's high praise from me. (Usually I can't play through a fan case all in one sitdown, but I couldn't put this one down the whole time.) The only character whose dialogue felt a bit "off" at times was Trucy's. She felt a little too... Modern teenage girl. Even though that's literally what she is, that's not generally how she talks in the games, so it was a little jarring to me. But every single other character was nailed 100% in my opinion.
My view of Trucy is pretty skewed by the version of her in fandom (which emphasizes her youthfulness and teenager-ness a bit more than AJ), but I definitely do my best to reflect how shrewd and quick she is. At points, she's figuring the case out faster than Athena is!
Thanks for playing this, and I'm really glad you enjoyed it! Responses in green.
nikekut456 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:26 pm Btw, I made the walkthrough video for anyone interested
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMsYu9JKV0I
That's awesome, thanks! I saw you made a walkthrough of my other case as well. I love when people do stuff like that! The more exposure the better.
ikuzonos wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:29 pm I've only played through Part One so far, but I'm very invested in this case already! I definitely see why you won the competition; this is amazing.
Spoiler : :
I love Athena and Trucy's dynamic, I think they work together really well and honestly, we were robbed of it in canon. The mystery is crafted really well so far, and I'm very excited to see how everything gets turned on its head come the trial. This feels like a very natural butterfly effect! I love the Mood Matrix functionality too. My current theory is that the unmarked medicine bag has something to do with why Phoenix doesn't remember the crime (strong chance he was drugged).

There is one thing I want to ask about; I've noticed that the screen flashes a lot, like every few frames. Is there a reason for that? It's giving me a bit of a headache, so I'm taking a break before Part Two.
Excited to see how the case ends.
Thank you, and I hope you enjoy Part 2! Re: flashing, yeah, I overdo it for sure, and I need to go back through and remove a bunch of them. To be fair, in AA, the screen flashes a lot, but probably not quite as much as I have it flash. Sorry that it gave you a headache!
Bannedfrom7 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:45 am Played through all of it!:
Spoiler : :
What an amazing case! I loved the solution, it was crafted really well. It's no wonder this won best mystery of the competition! The butterfly effect was done perfectly as well! I loved all the characters throughout the case, they were really fun and interesting to see! Congratulations on you both for winning the competition, you both certainly earned it!

I also want to ask if there will be a follow up to the story? I'm curious to see where it will go next. Again, congratulations and thank you for making such a fantastic case!
Thanks! And in terms of follow-up... who knows? :hobo:
Image
Tyomcha
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:22 pm
Gender: Male
Spoken languages: English, Russian

Re: [T][CE] Ace of Turnabouts ●

Post by Tyomcha »

Overall I really enjoyed it, but there were a few bits I found wonky in terms of the logic. The one that really stood out to me was when
Spoiler : :
O'Reilly being surprised at Wright's loss and anger was considered a contradiction; the logic for why being surprised at the anger would be weird is sound, but seeing as he was described as the "undefeated champion" in that same textbox, couldn't the loss itself - also described in the same textbox - easily have been cause for surprise without any contradiction?
Post Reply