[T] COMPLETE! Gumshoe Ace Detective: Turnabout Convention! The Adventure of a Lifetime! ●●○

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Re: [T] COMPLETE! Gumshoe Ace Detective: Turnabout Convention! The Adventure of a Lifetime! ●●○

Post by Enthalpy »

Spoiler : :
I never asked for your case to be perfect. It sounds like you're upset by what I've been saying.

As for Proxy, for the sake of organization, let's put all discussion of that on the relevant topic. I'll say that literally everything you pointed out is a serious bug that I haven't heard of before, and that I'll look into. Proxy was written in an older version of the AAO player, so those may not have been present when the case was QA'd.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Bannedfrom7
Spoken languages: English

Re: [T] COMPLETE! Gumshoe Ace Detective: Turnabout Convention! The Adventure of a Lifetime! ●●○

Post by Bannedfrom7 »

I’m going to give my thoughts about this case. It… was something I guess. Earlier I asked if things would get better after part 1 and you said yes. There were still MANY issues (though not as much as part 1 like you said) but enough intrigue to keep me interested in how it would end and it did have some emotional impact on me

I held off on saying my thoughts because when I played the rest of the game, I didn’t know what to say. When the QA inspection happened I definitely decided not to say anything because I knew most what was going to be said was going to be said by Enthalpy (and some other things I probably didn’t notice

I decided to give my thoughts now I feel like I’m being unfair in hiding it from you:

-Humor is fine but when you try to make a serious case, relying on it too much is detrimental. Also don’t make too much cutaway humour that derails the case further from the plot, it’ll make people want to skip frames. I’m usually the patient type when it comes to these things but if I feel like I have to do this then I’m sure it’ll be 2x worse for another person. There were some moments I liked such as looking for the jail cell and the introduction scene prior to the crisis occurring. However the ones with the cake scene and the “What I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY want” dialogue part felt dragged on and kept derailing the case. I shouldn’t have to feel like the ending was a reward for dragging myself through the constant cutaways in order for it to be worth it, the entire case should work itself towards the ending in order for it to be fun and engaging.

-Give the mystery and plot a bit more care if you want a good story. Combined with the last point this is a problem I also had with The Creepy Turnabout. What mystery solving it had was flawed due to a lack of care on it. The first confrontation is just trying to find out Dr Doofenshmirtz’s identity. Getting the rope necessary was extremely random due to it being presented as a meme. Alongside with the penultimate test being necessary to know Kingdom Hearts lore with a huge penalty risk. The cross investigation gimmick along with the light puzzle were nice ideas though I’ll give you that. As for the story, I think a lot of its flaws were already covered in previous replies. Which is a shame because I was personally intrigued by the potential worldbuilding. Having a meme character be the leader of Organization 13 alongside Doofenshmirtz acting as a supporting character would be great places to build from. Finding a way for Blaise to somehow get himself off the hook of murder in order to enact his plan and recruit members to stop Gumshoe and the team from figuring out his plot also had great potential to build from. What you had to make a coherent and thrilling investigation case was extremely lacking

-Some of the character decisions were… strange. Such as Gumshoe falling asleep when his friend gets arrested alongside Sebastian being swayed into his father’s side. I get that it was meant for humor but when trying to build a non comedic story, making characters act out of characters can be jarring and hurt the case more. Sebastian’s decision to go against Gumshoe could’ve been more of him being convinced by the evidence and acting on his own terms. He would still try his best to keep his eye on Blaise but Blaise would still be one step ahead of him.

Overall the case had a lot of effort done on it and I admire it for that but there’s still many flaws. For a project that’s solely meant to be goofed around and create something this case excels at putting a lot on the table. However you wanted this to have a serious story which is something that’ll need a lot of work done in order to get it at least somewhere where it doesn’t feel as engaging as it should be.
I am Banned
Mosy
Spoken languages: English

Post by Mosy »

Bannedfrom7 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:51 pm
I’m going to give my thoughts about this case. It… was something I guess. Earlier I asked if things would get better after part 1 and you said yes. There were still MANY issues (though not as much as part 1 like you said) but enough intrigue to keep me interested in how it would end and it did have some emotional impact on me

I held off on saying my thoughts because when I played the rest of the game, I didn’t know what to say. When the QA inspection happened I definitely decided not to say anything because I knew most what was going to be said was going to be said by Enthalpy (and some other things I probably didn’t notice

I decided to give my thoughts now I feel like I’m being unfair in hiding it from you:

-Humor is fine but when you try to make a serious case, relying on it too much is detrimental. Also don’t make too much cutaway humour that derails the case further from the plot, it’ll make people want to skip frames. I’m usually the patient type when it comes to these things but if I feel like I have to do this then I’m sure it’ll be 2x worse for another person. There were some moments I liked such as looking for the jail cell and the introduction scene prior to the crisis occurring. However the ones with the cake scene and the “What I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY want” dialogue part felt dragged on and kept derailing the case. I shouldn’t have to feel like the ending was a reward for dragging myself through the constant cutaways in order for it to be worth it, the entire case should work itself towards the ending in order for it to be fun and engaging.

-Give the mystery and plot a bit more care if you want a good story. Combined with the last point this is a problem I also had with The Creepy Turnabout. What mystery solving it had was flawed due to a lack of care on it. The first confrontation is just trying to find out Dr Doofenshmirtz’s identity. Getting the rope necessary was extremely random due to it being presented as a meme. Alongside with the penultimate test being necessary to know Kingdom Hearts lore with a huge penalty risk. The cross investigation gimmick along with the light puzzle were nice ideas though I’ll give you that. As for the story, I think a lot of its flaws were already covered in previous replies. Which is a shame because I was personally intrigued by the potential worldbuilding. Having a meme character be the leader of Organization 13 alongside Doofenshmirtz acting as a supporting character would be great places to build from. Finding a way for Blaise to somehow get himself off the hook of murder in order to enact his plan and recruit members to stop Gumshoe and the team from figuring out his plot also had great potential to build from. What you had to make a coherent and thrilling investigation case was extremely lacking

-Some of the character decisions were… strange. Such as Gumshoe falling asleep when his friend gets arrested alongside Sebastian being swayed into his father’s side. I get that it was meant for humor but when trying to build a non comedic story, making characters act out of characters can be jarring and hurt the case more. Sebastian’s decision to go against Gumshoe could’ve been more of him being convinced by the evidence and acting on his own terms. He would still try his best to keep his eye on Blaise but Blaise would still be one step ahead of him.

Overall the case had a lot of effort done on it and I admire it for that but there’s still many flaws. For a project that’s solely meant to be goofed around and create something this case excels at putting a lot on the table. However you wanted this to have a serious story which is something that’ll need a lot of work done in order to get it at least somewhere where it doesn’t feel as engaging as it should be.
Thanks for the review, I enjoyed reading it. This case wasnt meant to be all serious, seriousness came in the end mostly. Youre right, there were plenty of moments that dont fit. Im sorry that you didnt like it, honestly, there were like a million other scenarios it could have went but it just had to go the way it did. Creepy turnabout’s characters were used because someone had to give Gumshoe the futureinator, so… xD im sorrrryyy i’m no good writer. But I guess I just got tired of GK2 and SOJ being too serious and absurd for me xD. Thanks have a good one!
Live life as you enjoy it, pal!- :objection:
I guess not...