[T] A Game of Turnabouts ★

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

Gizmological
Spoken languages: English

[T] A Game of Turnabouts ★

Post by Gizmological »

A Game of Turnabouts
This case is set in canon, taking place after the events of Spirit of Justice.
Contains character spoilers for Apollo Justice & Dual Destines as well as story spoilers for Spirit of Justice. Contains music spoilers for Dual Destinies and Spirit of Justice.
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

(Update (31/12/2020): I've noticed that the Firefox browser may cause lag for some people, I've updated the graphics meaning they should work on Chrome or Edge, which don't appear to share the same lag issue. It's possible this could have lead to minor graphical bugs, please let me know if you spot anything off!)
Spoiler : Walkthrough :
You're more or less free to roam the manor as you like in the investigation stage. Getting past this part of the case requires you to present evidence to Arkus Strater, who won't speak to you until you have done the following:

Exhausted all dialogue options with Connor Iving, Ken Forza and Ronald Barre. (Note: Iving will not speak to you until you've spoken with Ronald Barre.)
Examined the desk in the study
Examined the knife in the study
Examined the note in the lounge
Examined the bookcase in the library
Examined the table in the dining room (Note: You must do this AFTER examining the knife in the study)
Presented the Barre-Link Article to Ronald Barre

After this, Arkus Strater will agree to speak with you. Otherwise, he will suggest that you speak to the other guests some more.
When Arkus agrees to talk, present the Manor Map and Isla Strater's profile.

Trial 1

Select "The handle"

Cross examination: The Game
Press statement 3 to reveal statement 3-2
Present Barre-Link Article on statement 3-2
Select "Iving is the thief"
Present Phoenix and Athena's Role to reveal statement 3-3
Present Isla Strater's profile on statement 3-3
Present Phoenix and Athena's Role OR Isla Strater's profile

Cross examination: Why Wright's the Killer
Present Manor Map on statement 4

Cross examination: The Secret Passage
Present Ken Forza's profile on statement 3 to reveal statement 3-2 and 3-3
Present Victim's Letter on statement 3-3
Present Steak Knife
Click anywhere inside the lounge

Cross examination: In the Lounge
Present Barre's Role on statement 2
Present Barre-Link Article
Present Isla Strater's profile
Present Witness Account

Trial 2

Cross examination: Three Years Ago
Present Bloody Knife Notes on statement 1
Present Grace Barre's profile

Cross examination: Who Killed Arkus?
Present Bloody Knife Notes on statement 3

Cross examination: As an Accomplice
Present Iving's Testimony on statement 3
Present Grace Barre's profile

Cross examination: My Role
Present Ronald Barre's profile OR Barre's Role on statement 4 (Can also present Grace's Role on statement 2)
Select "Adultery"
Present Connor Iving's profile

Thought Route:
Inside the manor
Arkus Strater
Ken Forza
Athena Cykes OR Phoenix Wright
Grace Barre

Present Stolen Pendant
Spoiler : Credits :
Connor Iving sprites - Fenrirdarkwolf
Ronald Barre sprites - gotMLK7
Grace Barre sprites - SuperAj3
Ken Forza & Arkus Strater sprites - Dragontrainer
Isla Strater & DD!Phoenix sprites - Hesseldahl
Athena Cykes sprites - Rajin, SuperAj3, ShiroForever, Hesseldahl, Silver Glas

Though Route Graphics - The Doctor

Playtesting - Parafin, DJJ6800
Last edited by Gizmological on Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:54 am, edited 4 times in total.
Southern Corn
Spoken languages: English, Bad Jokes

Re: [T] A Game of Turnabouts ●

Post by Southern Corn »

Remind me to play this case when I'm free. I loved BtS so this oughtta be a good time.
DJJ6800

Post by DJJ6800 »

This was really fun to play test and is definitely worth your time. Check it out!
ned63

Post by ned63 »

This was a great case!
Spoiler : Mostly Spoiler-Free Review though one part may be considered a minor spoiler :
The new characters were interesting and memorable, existing characters felt in character, the humour was on point (nothing pleases me more in a fancase than good flavourtext, and the investigation phase really impressed me!) and the mystery and general flow of the case always felt logical and well-paced. My only real issue was that the case felt a bit too easy, but when that's because everything is presented so logically and no pointlessly confusing turns occur -though there are still interesting twists in the plot- and the plot still manages to be intriguingly complex (especially with its enthralling premise), I can't consider that to be a major downside.

Definitely worth checking out if you've already played the games that there are plot spoilers for.
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

Technically, I got the request yesterday, but...

☆ This case is pending a QA inspection to be featured.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

QA Review: A Game of Turnabouts

Mr. Strater, we need to have a talk about the genre you're in.
The last time I (informally) reviewed a case of Gizmological's, I said it needed some work before I could recommend submitting it for a QA review. I went into the QA for his latest case thinking that it could go either way, but it at least deserved some more attention. So how does it do? Answers below!
The format on Check #1 is similar to in my previous reviews.
In [url=http://aaonline.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?p=380232#p380232]Case featuring and QA[/url], ShadowEdgeworth wrote:They check that it has an overall story and gameplay of astounding quality; it should be really engaging, have interesting contradictions and be really fun.
– The Sparkling Feature Star is given for an aspect that makes your trial stand out even among the featured trials. Getting a Sparkling Feature Star means your trial is pretty much guaranteed to be featured after implementing the changes from check 2, unless it gets a Hollow Star.
+ – The Great Plus means that this aspect makes your good trial great. You don't need a Great Plus in every category, but you should have at least one Great Plus or Sparkling Feature Star for the trial to be featured.
✓✓ – The Double Check Mark means that this aspect is good enough for a featured trial. Almost everything in this area works solidly, but it lacks a "wow" factor. An otherwise great aspect that requires some non-trivial tweaking falls in here.
– The Single Check Mark means that this aspect can be good enough for a featured trial, but requires not major, but non-trivial modifications to make it truly solid. You must not have any Single Check Marks in order to pass Check 2.
– The Hollow Star marks a problem that can't be fixed without a major rewrite. A trial must not have any Hollow Stars in order to pass Check 1. If you get one, don't be discouraged! Remember that a Hollow Star is only a star that hasn't been filled yet. It's something you can work on when improving this trial or writing your next one, and once you've worked on it, go for another QA review!

Unlike the other marks, the Hollow Star and Single Check Mark only talk about how large of a rewrite is needed to be featured-trial good, not how good that part of the trial is.
Spoiler : Check #1: Here Be Spoilers! :
Contradictions and Cross-Examinations: ✓✓
Apart from some cases places where prompts should be reworded for clarity, I found everything completely fair, which I don't say very often!

I did find Trial Former very easy, as well as the last half of Trial Latter (from when Grace testifies about her not having a motive onwards). Perhaps this wasn't the feeling of your beta-testers? This was largely because I was able to figure out two key plot points (that the murder mystery game was Strater blackmailing the suspects of his daughter's murder into being around for Phoenix to investigate; that the locket was evidence of Grace's infidelity with Connor) long before Athena. I'm not aware of any solution to this. Having played Dai Gyakuten Saiban recently, I can report that this is something even canon games struggle with. Even Takumi's games! I'll also point out that many of the contradictions I found easy were "direct contradictions" in the language of this tutorial. In future games, you might want to check how many of those you include.

That said, the difficulty did pick up in the first half of Trial Latter, which I appreciate. It took me some time to figure out that Barre really shouldn't know about the origin of the dining room, and that Strater couldn't possibly have left the fingerprints. Kudos on the subtle hint where we can see Strater's full sprite during one of Athena's inner monologues.

Dialogue and Characterization: +

One of my gripes with Spirit of Justice was the treatment of Athena in 6-4. We see in Dual Destinies that Athena has thin self-confidence. Most of the time, she is unhesitating and will say whatever is on her mind. However, if you couple insults with some other reason to doubt herself, her confidence abandons her. This was continued in Spirit of Justice, but Athena was "triggered" by constant insults and allegations of incompetence from the prosecution, the gallery, and even her own co-counsel. Game of Turnabouts continues Athena's issues with self-confidence, but in a way that's more believable and less cruel. That said, it may be good to have Grace go a little bit harder on Athena at the end. I think she needs a little more of a push to give her a crisis of confidence, but she's close. Speaking of which, I cannot recall a fancase that has done a better Athena. Her youth and immaturity need to show, which you do quite well! You even capture Athena's quickness in changing the culprit she suspects.

Klavier is about where he needs to be, but I'll admit that I need to brush up on Klavier's writing. Klavier seemed unusually cooperative with the defense at first, but as I was writing this review, I realized that writing choice made a lot of sense. When we see Klavier prosecute in-canon, he's against Herr Forehead. But it would ruin his rock star image to do anything to antagonize a Fräulein, and Athena's impulsiveness already makes him look like the one in charge, so he doesn't need to try as hard to accomplish that. Apart from one point that I mention in Check #2, this is a very good Klavier.

This takes me to the original characters. They're great! We don't see much of Strater, and while we do see him, he's playing the cryptic "gamemaster" and also blackmailing most of his guests, so he's projecting more power than usual. Nothing struck me in particular about him, but he works.

I would have said the same about Ken Forza if not for the closing scene. He's weak both mentally and emotionally, but is so without aggravating the player or being just a joke. That's a hard thing to pull off, and you did quite well. But then the reveal that he was just trying to get to Isla's money... Ken's personality was very well done to make it seem like a complete 180 while being completely consistent with everything else we knew about him in hindsight. And the drama between Grace and Ronald Barre just made it dig all the deeper.

Next, Connor Iving. I didn't "get" Connor much on my first playthrough, but I can see what I missed more clearly on the second. He's the kind of person who is unashamedly interested only in himself, but not out of arrogance. The face he presents the world is just supposed to make him civil, not project a more elaborate persona. It was a very nice touch that his speech changes when he's under pressure, so he starts cutting out sounds.

I'll defer most discussion on Ronald Barre and Grace Gilding to the Narrative section, except to say that "Could you all stop patting each other on the back and accuse my wife of murder, already?" is much funnier than it should be.

Narrative: +
I'd like to thank Gizmological for this case. I had forgotten how much I loved Ace Attorney confrontations when they hit their mark. The confrontation with Grace is amazing.

Let's begin with Ronald. He's a pompous, self-absorbed jerk. It's quite telling he compliment Iving as being like him, but gossips about him in revenge once he learns what Iving said. That much knowledge of his character takes us through Trial Former and the first cross-examination of Trial Latter. But then Grace claims Ronald threatened her, and we see something darker yet. Petty pride. He will not let himself be betrayed, least of all by his trophy. So he confesses to murder so that they can get on with her exposing her as adulteress, liar, and murderer. I don't think I'm off to say he wants her humiliated and is proud that he made her "finally give up." His word choice is telling. For example, the sarcastic "darling," and when he says "I'm not allowing my wife". He really does manipulate the court out of spite for his injured pride. Just like we saw him do with Iving earlier.

Now Grace. We didn't see much of Grace earlier, and I was disappointed by that. It was my own fault for not presenting Grace's profile to her to see what she'd say. The self-dismissal when we ask her about herself is not a good sign. We see her shyness and passivity start to give way to something else throughout the trial, but it never fully breaks out. She finally gives up. Ronald does much of the expositing himself, and when he finally talks, Grace can only say meekly not to listen to him.

When she starts "making her own choices," she makes the wrong ones... Namely, to be an adulteress, liar, and murderer. Sadly, that's when we see her be the most assertive. Grace objects to being called "darling" when she's about to commit murder. Reading the script as I write this, Grace barely seems like the same person in Ronald's final flashback. Then she seems to be "coming out" when she realizes the lynchpin evidence isn't there, but no, she sinks back in again with a beautiful final present, followed by her saying just how bad things were.

Truly, well done.

Other:
Connor Iving revealing the locket is crucial in Athena's successfully indictment of Grace. Why did Iving reveal the locket, and why doesn't Grace react to Connor giving it up? The locket was (as he well knew), evidence of the affair between himself and Grace. He revealed it to the court anyway, and he may well have suspected by the time he took the stand that Grace had it only because she took it off of Strater. I could imagine Connor instead claiming he stole a fountain pen of Grace's. Of course Grace would go along with it! She doesn't want that locket to be brought up in court.

On its own, it would be a minor plot hole, but it's a major opportunity for you to develop Grace. Grace's final argument is that there's no evidence that she was having an affair, and even if she had, Connor would never talk. Grace's motive is despair after the fact that nobody (except maybe Connor?) ever cared for her. Athena's final evidence proves that Connor already has revealed it, and he betrayed her with that evidence without a second thought. Thematically, that is perfect. I could not design a more story-appropriate final evidence present. But for some reason, this point isn't brought up. Unless I'm misunderstanding the story, the implications of Connor revealing the locket are worth showing.
Spoiler : Check #2: Here Be Spoilers! :
Presentation and Bugs:
Trial Former
F425: I found Athena's prompt confusing. Even after her explanation, I wasn't quite sure what you were looking for. It likely didn't help that I already figured out Arkus wanted them to find the killer of Isla's daughter. Perhaps reword to something like, "(The evidence that shows these four roles create a problem for the mystery game is...)"

Writing and Characterization:
I'm impressed by your Athena writing!
F919: I'm not sure if this was intentional, but using "whilst" instead of "while" is out of character for Phoenix.
I cannot tell what Iving was thinking about, in the hall with Athena.
Out of curiosity, what is going through Klavier's head during this trial? I know that as far as prosecutors go, he's one of the more open to cooperation with the defense (as long as he can look like the one in control). Was he aware of the problem in Forza's testimony?
Klavier is taking the reveal about the knife... a bit better than I'd expect. In-canon, Klavier is a perfectionist. (See his raving in investigations in 4-3.)

Proofreading and Clarification:

COMMAS AND POSSESSIVES.

Throughout: Change "Witness' Account" to "Witness's Account"

INVESTIGATION

F19: Apparently, he's
F47: Greek mythology
F154: manor, I've
F292: in to -> into
F302: badge, and
F311: widget -> Widget
In the Library with Ken
Discovering Secret Passage
F525: passage,
F526: themselves, and at the top, I
Discussing Isla
F440: time, so ... her, and
Discussing Mrs. Strater
F483: ago, he
In the Lounge with Mr. Barre
F620: care, then
Examining Note
F698: game, so
F704: game, you
Talking to Barre About Barre
F634: insult, or
F635: dirt, you
F642: research, and
F647: along, and
Presenting to Barre
F1146: money, and if you haven't noticed, I'm not feeling particularly
F1147: questions, then
Presenting Barre to Barre
F1303: month, so
In the Study: Examining Note
Presenting Grace to Barre
F1269: Normally, you'd
F590: Well, that's
Presenting Article to Barre
F821: now, we
F827: charges, I'll
In the Dining Room
Introductions with Iving:
F731: Remove "he"
Troubles with Iving:
F743: Missing period.
Presenting Barre to Iving:
F1281: eccentric, but
Presenting Iving to Iving:
F1307: Barre, and
Master Bedroom
Fireplace
F1100: TV, but
Presenting Widget
F1173: guy, or
Presenting Isla
F877: connections, I
Present Barre
F1236: day, Barre
Present Iving
F1254: reason, I
Present Strater
F1275: investments, and
Present Manor Map and then Leaving Strater
F900: here -> her
F914: far, and
F916: thouroughly -> thoroughly
F921: way, we'll
Main Hall with Iving
F966: sat -> sitting
F995: here, so
F997: upstairs, and
F1004: foolish, and
F1023: much, so

TRIAL FORMER
Defense Lobby
F11: you, sp
F12: pressure, why
F16: room, and
F1120: in, we
F22: Comma splice.
F23: "myself" is an object, not a subject.
In Court
F50: Double-check whether there should be an accent mark here.
F64: you, fräulein
F78: crime, he
F79: event, though
Iving's First Testimony
F117: well, I
F126: to -> than, or to -> compared to
Iving's First CE: Co-Counsel
F282: Arkus' -> Arkus's
F285: witness' -> witness's
Statement One Press
F216: case, I
F228: Presumably, there
New Statement Press
F259: not, I; The same correction should be made on the original, if I didn't mark it there
Athena's Explanation
F259: not, I; The same correction should be made on the original, if I didn't mark it there
F327: witness' -> witness's
F360: witness' -> witness's
F386: 9.45 -> 9:45
F395: him, then
F416: Arkus' -> Arkus's
F420: Missing ).
Other New Statement Press:
F470: lets -> let's
Athena's Second Explanation
F493: killed, and
F545: Arkus' -> Arkus's
F550: case, why
Iving's Second Testimony
F571/F595: murder, and
F577: true, it
F1612: testimony -> Testimony
Press Conversations
F626: Well, what
F656: 9.20 and 9.50 -> 9:20 and 9:50
Forza's Testimony
F742: Arkus' -> Arkus's
Press Conversations
F798: is, I
F824: thouroughly -> thoroughly; Is this some British spelling I'm not aware? My check indicates it is not.
F827: passage, then
F862: motive, and
F869: witness' -> witness's
Athena's Second Explanation and Finding the Knife
F881: witness' -> witness's
F928: study, and
F932: door, and
F935: others, but
F936: desk, and
F956: opportunity, and
F959: witness's
When Klavier is explaining that Strater duplicated the note, it would be good for somebody to bring up that Isla probably told him herself. Athena can inner monologue that Ken said it seemed like she had no secrets from him.
F968: Comma splice.
F977: time, then
F981: time, and
F1007: witness's
F1046: witness's
F1057: Bloody knife notes -> Bloody Knife Notes
F1060: Now that's -> With that
F1062: witness's
F1064: Previously, we
F1114: Now that we
F1137: Double-check the French. This feels to me like it's missing an accent mark.
F1157: him -> he
F1182: where -> when
Post Contradiction in Barre's Testimony
F1454: there, it
F1484: that, right
F1489: evidence, and
F1494: witness's
F1499: evidence, and
F1550: upstairs, while

Trial Latter
F44: Strater, of
CE 1, Last Press
F128: mystery, if
Athena's Explanation
F161: wife, as
F220: matter, because
F295: Ms. -> Mrs.; ...But knowing Klavier, this may have been intentional
F312: Arkus's
F347: prison, I
F407: witness's
F410: Arkus's
Next CE, Second Press
F484: 9.20 and 9.50 -> 9:20 and 9:50
F488: 9.45 -> 9:45
Co-Counsel
F462: sure, and
Athena Explanation
F605: on -> one
F643: out, so
F693: agrees, I
F701: move, and
Testimony
F711 and counterpart in CE: and, he forced
F737 and maybe counterpart in testimony: him.
Athena Explanation
F868: first, I
Testimony About Task Complete
F912 and counterpart in CE: something, I
F920: witness's
Co-Counsel:
F1022: Ms. -> Mrs.; Am I missing something?
Press Convo Two:
F979: I have no idea what Athena is trying to say.
Athena's Explanation:
F1055: witness's
F1315: is,
F1316: Arkus's
F1317: me, you
F1335: Arkus's
F1337: Arkus's
F1354: witness's
F1365: Obviously, it's
F1366: Arkus's
F1371: witness's
F1505: witness's
F1521: What the hell
F1522: it, then
F1567: witness's
F1587: pompous
F1612: he was removed
F1654: Comma splice

Sprites and Graphics:
Trial Former 1414 and following, use greyscale. Same with the conversation with Grace.
Trial Former 1523, use the zoom sprite and not Athena pointing. It was the zoom sprite it first, but then it wasn't? This may be an AAO bug...
Trial Latter... This may be another case for greyscale.
TODO: Check!
Around F1544, there's no lip-sync for the greyscale. Normally, I'd ask you to fix this, but there should be an easier way to deal with this coming soon to AAO.

Music and Sound Effects:
In Trial Latter, the beep sound effect isn't working for some reason.

Differences from AA Games (Optional):
I checked against Sprit of Justice, and dates should just have the number, not the ordinal TODO: That or cardinal
So, use 12 instead of 12th.
F536: I believe sound effects are lowercase.

Logic and Gameplay:
Investigation
I was stuck for some time in the first part of the investigation because I missed some presents and examining the kitchen. I understand this would be a lot to program, but could you have some system in place where if the player is missing one or two things, you give them a hint about it? This was a very good feature in the Yamazaki games.
Athena shouldn't be able to try and present her invitation to the guests. She can either ask the guests about their roles or just realize revealing hers is a bad idea.
Barre should react when I present Isla to him.
Ken should react when I present the victim's note to him. If nothing else, he should say he doesn't feel like reading, and that whatever it is probably isn't important.
Iving should react to the Barre-Link article.

Trial Former
I would condense Klavier's explanation of the knife a little. It's wordy, as-is.
I recommend not penalizing the player if they try to present the envelope to show Forza completed the envelope task. Yes, the letter itself is the better piece of evidence by far, but this is an understandable one to try.
F1118: Change "before" to "minutes before" or some such. I was trying to say the killer had been in the dining room earlier to put suspicion on Grace!

Trial Latter
Reword 179. It sounds too similar to Athena saying the steak knife that killed Strater came from the dining room.
Gizmological

Post by Gizmological »

Spoiler : @Enthalpy :
I'm really glad that you enjoyed this! Back when I was playing with the idea of submitting Turned About for QA testing, I decided against it. I reasoned that if I was going to try and have a game featured, it would have to be a game that I knew I was really proud of. I'm happy with how AGoT turned out. Looking over the review, I don't see anything I disagree with in the case of minor changes. Made some general responses below.
I'll also point out that many of the contradictions I found easy were "direct contradictions" in the language of this tutorial. In future games, you might want to check how many of those you include.
This was my main regret when I looked back at the case. Puzzle design is such an art in these games, I find. I think I sometimes get so wrapped up in progressing the story that I don't put enough focus on the individual cross-exams. Definitely something I'll try to improve on in the future.
I could not design a more story-appropriate final evidence present. But for some reason, this point isn't brought up. Unless I'm misunderstanding the story, the implications of Connor revealing the locket are worth showing.
As we talked a bit about in PM, you're correct in your interpretation. I agree that this is a point worth making more clear, I'll tweak a few lines.
Out of curiosity, what is going through Klavier's head during this trial? I know that as far as prosecutors go, he's one of the more open to cooperation with the defense (as long as he can look like the one in control). Was he aware of the problem in Forza's testimony?
If the problem you're talking about is that Forza could have used the secret passage without being seen, then yes. Essentially, Klavier doesn't know who the culprit is, but is reasonably sure that it's not Phoenix, though he keeps this to himself. He knows Forza's testimony isn't airtight by a longshot, but sees it as a good way to keep the discussion going. If the problem you meant was that Forza never found the letter in the study, then no. As Phoenix and Athena took it before the police found it, Klavier wouldn't have known what Forza's role was referring to. (Phoenix and Athena DID technically remove evidence from a crime scene, but at the time there was no clear indication that the letter was related to Strater's murder. Unrealistic in real life, but fairly common in Ace Attorney.)
Around F1544, there's no lip-sync for the greyscale. Normally, I'd ask you to fix this, but there should be an easier way to deal with this coming soon to AAO.
Yeah, Grayscale is tricky which is why I didn't use it in the very long flashback scenes with multiple sprites like the Grace and Ronald confrontation at the end. I just found an old comment from Spyromed on this thread viewtopic.php?f=28&t=11105&p=729280 that might make this fixable though.
Trial Former 1523, use the zoom sprite and not Athena pointing. It was the zoom sprite it first, but then it wasn't? This may be an AAO bug...
I think it might be, as I've seen it happen a few times in other cases. I can assure you that I didn't manually change it to the pointing sprite, at least. Don't quote me on this, but I think it might happen if you click through the dialogue on that frame too quickly.

I think that's all I have to say. I'll start making changes when I get some time this week and let you know how I get on. Thanks for everything!
Tonoso2

Re: [T] A Game of Turnabouts ☆

Post by Tonoso2 »

I played this and while I enjoyed it quite a bit, the text bleeps sounded... weird for some reason. I don't know if it's my browser causing it or something else. (I used Firefox, of course.)
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

@Gizmological:
Hmm. I'll add investigating that bug to my to-do list, though I do have a case competition entry I should get to writing... My one remaining comment:
Spoiler : :
By "What was going through Klavier's head?", I meant "What is he trying to accomplish, how much does he already have figured out, and what does he think about cooperating with the defense to accomplish that?"
@Tonoso2:
AAO doesn't allow much customization to sound blips, so I doubt it's something specific to this case.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Gizmological

Post by Gizmological »

@Tonoso2

As Enthalpy says, I don't think that's something I have control over. Whatever the problem is, I don't think I can fix it.

@Enthalpy
Spoiler : :
Well, as Klavier mentions at the start of the trial, he was aware of Isla's unsolved murder which is what lead to his interest in this case. When Klavier saw the mystery game set-up, he would have concluded that this case was related to, and could potentially solve, the case from three years ago. Seeing an opportunity to put an old mystery to rest, he jumps on the case. Klavier personally knows that Phoenix is almost certainly not the culprit, despite the circumstantial evidence stacked against him. That said, he follows the philosophy that if both sides perform to the best of their abilities, that the whole truth will come out. He will try to nudge Athena in the right direction if she's struggling, but also pursue Phoenix as a way to advance the discussion.

In terms of how much he knows, Klavier reveals essentially all of it in the trial, as he has no desire to sandbag the defence, but only when it becomes relevant to avoid showing his hand to a potential suspect straight away. He's aware of the true nature of the mystery game as well as each of the cases that the participants are being blackmailed for, with the exception of Ken due to the missing letter.

This is generally how I interpret Klavier's behaviour in AA4. He has no desire to sabotage the defence like some other prosecutors, but will still pursue the defendant as his main suspect, not only because it's his job, but because there's always the potential that it will reveal something new. Firm but fair is how I would put it.

Hopefully that's closer to the answer you were looking for?
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

★ The QA inspection is complete. This case is now featured. Congratulations!
PatBrownGame

Re: [T] A Game of Turnabouts ★

Post by PatBrownGame »

Congrats Gizmological! Well deserved!
Gizmological

Post by Gizmological »

Awesome, thank you! As I said before, if any case of mine was good enough to be featured I'm glad it's this one. It really is one of the cases that I'm most proud of.

So, yeah, anyone else who's interested in giving the case a play, let me know what you think! Might as well, right? Not like you can go outside to do anything.
_m1ndl3ss
Spoken languages: English, Brazilian Portuguese

Post by _m1ndl3ss »

What a masterpiece this is, honestly. I don't think I've ever had so much fun with Ace Attorney ever since I got Trials and Tribulations. The canon characters felt extremely faithful to their canon game counterparts, the original ones felt like they fit absolutely perfectly with the others (both personality wise and sprite wise), the trials were extremely clever and fairly challenging (especially the middle part of the second trial, I actually got stumped for a good while on a couple cross examinations there before figuring it out!), and the investigation bit was honestly so much fun. The ending was decently satisfying, the humor was absolutely on point, and the plot was so well thought of. Honestly, if I hadn't played all of the Ace Attorney games and someone told me that this was from a canon game, I would have no problem believing it.

I'm not usually the kind of person to like to talk in forums like this a lot, but after I stumbled upon this absolute piece of art I just HAD to make an account to leave my thoughts here. Absolutely amazing experinece, there's very few things I disliked and even those were just extremely nitpicky and minor things (like a couple low quality images and the like) that honestly don't have a lot of importance. Overall it was super fun, I'll totally be checking your other cases out. Props for you and your team for making this masterpiece.
Would you guys believe me if I told you that that one meme where Edgeworth says "you are not a clown, you are the entire circus" is actually what got me into Ace Attorney?
Tonoso2

Post by Tonoso2 »

I have figured out that the bleeps sound perfectly fine on chrome, but not on firefox, which is weird. I guess a problem related to firefox then or something