[T] Turnabout Unmasked ●

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

coolbrad888
Spoken languages: English

[T] Turnabout Unmasked ●

Post by coolbrad888 »

Turnabout Unmasked

This is my debut case! I started it about a month and a half ago, and I’ve been working on it every day since! Now it’s finally done! I hope you have as much fun playing it as I had creating it!
This case takes place a few years after the events in Trials & Tribulations. The original trilogy is 95% canon, but everything that came after it is largely ignored.

Note: A large chunk of the humor is referential to the real games, so there are a decent amount of casual spoilers.

Story Spoilers: Ace Attorney, Justice for All, Trials and Tribulations, Dual Destinies
Character Spoilers: Ace Attorney, Trials and Tribulations, Apollo Justice, Dual Destinies
Music Spoilers: Ace Attorney, Justice for All, Trials and Tribulations, Apollo Justice, Dual Destinies

Part 1: http://aaonline.fr/player.php?trial_id=114655
Part 2: http://aaonline.fr/player.php?trial_id=114980
Spoiler : Synopsis :
You play as the genuine Bobby Fulbright, a justice-obsessed police detective and undercover investigator, along with his trusty protégé, Apollo Justice. A mysterious serial killer has been picking off local prosecutors one by one, and when your friend is suspected of being the one behind the killings, you jump to defend them in court. But the question is, how WILL you defend them? After all, you’re not even a lawyer.
Spoiler : Walkthrough :
Note: This is only the bare minimum to progress. For the full experience, I recommend at least exhausting every talk option, although there is examination and presenting flavor-text for nearly everything.

Investigation 1:

Select “Yes”

Examine the green envelope and complete the “How’s Business” talk option.

Head to Sunshine Coliseum, and complete the “The Show” talk option, followed by “Edgeworth.”

Complete “The Murder” and “A Scanning Door” talk options, then examine the gun and the pile of boxes in the corner.

Head to the Backstage Hallway, and exhaust all of the talk options.

Head to Edgeworth’s office by way of the Sunshine Coliseum, and examine the desk and the bookshelf.

Complete the “Defense Attorney” talk option.

Present the Fire Extinguisher.

Present either Phoenix’s Photo or Phoenix Wright’s profile.

Trial 1:

Cross Examination: The Incident
Press the 4th statement, and then present the Autopsy Report on the new statement.

-Select “Yes, I can!” and then present the Revolver.
-Select “They were planted there”
-Select “The real killer”

Cross Examination: The Motive
Present the Prosecutioner Victim File on the 4th statement.

-Select “Exhibit F”

Cross Examination: What I Saw
Present the Dressing Room Door Data on the 2nd statement.

-Select “The Steel Samurai”
-Select “Someone else was in the costume”
-Present the Costume Receipt
-Select “I don’t know, yet”

Cross Examination: How I knew it was Powers
Present the S.S.W.C™ on the 3rd statement.

-Select “To make room for something else”
-Present Miles Edgeworth’s profile
-Present the Backstage Pass
-Select “Edgeworth’s Office”

Investigation 2:

Complete the “Your Fingerprints” talk option.

Psyche-Lock:
-Present the S.S.W.C™
-Complete the new talk option.

Head to Sunshine Coliseum. From there, it’s pretty open-ended, but I recommend going to the backstage hallway first.

In the Backstage Hallway, complete the “Anything Strange” and “Can I go in there” talk options.

Head into Powers’ Dressing Room, and examine the guitar case.

In Edgeworth’s office, complete the “The Prosecutioner” and “Any Leads” talk options, and examine the King of Prosecutors trophy.

In the costume shop, complete the “Do you know anything” talk option.

Psyche-Locks:
-Present the Mysterious Letter
-Present the Suspicious Letter
-Present the Costume Receipt
-Complete the new talk option

Trial 2:

Cross Examination: Meeting with the Victim
On the 2nd Statement, present either the Dressing Room Door Data or the Backstage Pass

Cross Examination: Opening the Door
Press the 3rd statement, and present Powers’ Guitar

-Select “The man who met Powers was wearing an Edgeworth costume!”
-Select “Hide the true scene of the crime”
-Select “Yeah, man”
-Present the Mysterious Letter

-Select “Object”
-Select either the Mysterious Letter or the Suspicious Letter
-Present the Prosecutioner Victim File
-Select “Exhibit D”
-Present the Prosecutioner Victim File
-Select “Exhibit C”
-Present the Suspicious Letter
-Present Klavier Gavin’s profile
-Select Blood Analysis
-Select “Do not”

Cross Examination: I was Attacked
Press the 5th statement, then present the new evidence on the 3rd Statement

-Select “The Fingerprints”

Cross Examination: Visit to the Victim’s Office
Press the 3rd statement, then present the Prosecutor Trophy on the new statement.

-Present the Autopsy Report
-Present the Prosecutioner Weapon List
-Select “Evidence 3”
-Select “Dropping it on him”
-Click on the Ladder
-Present the Prosecutioner Weapon List
-Present your Attorney’s Badge

-To properly answer the bonus question after you’ve already won, present the Prosecutor Trophy
Spoiler : Credits :
Bobby Fulbright Sprites - enigma
Apollo Justice Sprites - Hesseldahl
Apollo Justice CoCounsel Sprites - Lind
Phoenix Wright Sprites - VirtAnderson
Upset Phoenix Sprites - FenrirDarkWolf
Far away Phoenix & Apollo Sprite - Hesseldahl
Close up Winston Payne Sprite - SilverGlas
Gaspen Payne profile Sprite - mariofan5000
Closed Eyes Speaking Judge - ApolloGrimoire
Fire Extinguisher Sprite - Starora
I hope you enjoy! In justice we trust!!! :larry:
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Re: [T] Turnabout Unmasked ●

Post by Enthalpy »

This is copy-paste-edit from another topic.

I opened up your case, but there's a small problem. Many of your images are hosted on sites that aren't designed for hotlinking. In some cases, the sites will let the images appear anyways... but that eats the other sites' bandwidth and is considered quite rude. In other cases, the sites disable your images, so I can't even see them in your trial.

In particular, you are linking images directly from the Ace Attorney Wikia. Please use a dedicated image hosting site to host your images instead, so we can see the images. I've found imgur.com a great host.

I notice that some of your links are already in imgur. I suspect that in those cases, somebody else uploaded them to ingur, and you're using the same links. Again, this eats the bandwidth of the original uploader, so unless the provider of those images says otherwise, you should upload them to your own account and use those links. Just remember to give credit to the original maker.

I'm looking forward to playing this, once that issue is fixed.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
coolbrad888

Post by coolbrad888 »

Sorry to bother, but which images in particular are you referring to? I thought all of my images came from imgur already, but I guess I was mistaken. In the meantime, I'll look through it and get back to you.
In case you were wondering, my name isn't actually Brad.

Oh, and here's my obligatory trial plug.
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Anything that starts with "https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/". Looking at Part 1, this is the first profile and about half of your evidence. I haven't checked custom sprites, but be sure to check those as well.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
coolbrad888

Post by coolbrad888 »

Ah, of course. I should have realized, my bad. Anyway, it should all be fixed now on both parts. Thx for letting me know.

Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

I forgot to post this earlier, but as early as it is...

☆ This case is pending a QA inspection to be featured.

I just finished playing through the case.
risefromtheashes
Spoken languages: English, Russian, Armenian, Spanish

Post by risefromtheashes »

Who do you think you are to make one of my top favorite things I've ever played?!

God, that entire thing was incredible. The only thing I'll say I noticed in the way of flaws is that sometimes, when the defense or prosecution would say something, and then the POV would pan out to the gallery murmuring, the defense/prosecution sprite would stay on the screen for that frame. That could just be an AAO glitch, though, but I'd check anyway.

Well. That, and...
Spoiler : Spoilers for this case, plus MAJOR spoilers for Dual Destinies :
Bobby just happening to know a very suspicious person who just so specializes in making hyper-realistic masks and disguises did feel a bit forced during part 1. BUT the allusions to 5-5 and Fulbright having a Phoenix mask during his gradual breakdown made that feeling go away over time. Maybe I'd patch up the beginning a little bit and have Bobby go into how he knows McCair or something (unless he did and I missed that entirely).
And I guess Winston's motive felt like it wasn't touched upon too much (though it made sense, but I wish it was spoken about for more than, like, 30 frames). But then again, this is a pretty goofy case, so it might just fit with that.
Aside from those two minor details... GOD THIS ENTIRE THING WAS SO CLEVER. Here were some of my favorite parts...
Spoiler : MAJOR spoilers for this case, plus JFA, T&T, and DD :
1. Just the entire thing with Bobby disguising himself as Phoenix, and how he really did end up doing it for justice, and the allusion/connections to 5-5. That's FANTASTIC irony. That, and the allusions to 2-1 and 3-3 with Phoenix getting knocked out with a fire extinguisher, and being impersonated in court. This time, both ending up help serve justice. I love that SO much.
2. The contradiction at the end where Winston forged Bobby's fingerprints on the fire extinguisher, *and how that ended up "proving" that the real Phoenix wasn't the real Phoenix, and the fake Phoenix was the real Phoenix*. THAT WAS GENIUS. The second the fire extinguisher evidence showed up with the description mentioning fingerprints, I gasped in UTTER DELIGHT.
3. The "I AM Edgeworth!" dialogue. Klavier's response - "Always playing the victim, aren't you, Herr Spikes?" - was one of the FUNNIEST plays on words I've seen in a while. Absolutely brilliant. Plus, the Judge saying "he's WAY cooler than you" was really funny as well.
4. All of Bobby's "oops, I almost let my secret slip" moments. The fact that you could just present the stolen Attorney's Badge to Klavier and he just missed it and said he was seeing things was hilarious. (Though, now I wonder if "Klavier" really didn't just miss it...)
5. The "Will Powers"/"Winston Payne" twist. I suppose that could've been spotted before it was meant to come up, but I didn't think about the names in the Prosecutioner Victim List when I was mentally sorting through who could be "WP" earlier on in part 1. That was SO smart. But again, I suppose there's the risk of realizing that he has the same initials as Will, and connecting that with Gaspen's body being missing, and connecting the dots somehow.
6. This one's kind of a brag as well as a compliment, but for some reason, during the part 1 trial, I just had the distinct thought that Klavier would turn out to not really be Klavier. But the fact that it still took me for a loop when I realized that that was the case is pretty damn impressive. I think it's because I had no substantial way of proving that (though the King of Prosecutors trophy did click in my mind a bit). But still, a job well done.
I suppose that those moments did just remind me of another POTENTIAL criticism... (This depends on if I remembered some pretty minor details correctly in hindsight, so @ people reading this, this by NO means makes the case worse in any significant manner. Please play it.)
Spoiler : Major spoilers for this case :
I don't remember exactly how much this was brought up, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I feel like Will wasn't really suspected enough, considering his initials were on the suspicious letters? I guess he had an alibi, but still, I think it may have been possible that he was connected somehow, maybe? I don't know - feel free to tell me why I'm wrong if that's the case, because I can't really remember enough to say anything definitively. This just kind of caught me in hindsight.
That, and I can't remember if the King of Prosecutors trophy was on the couch in the background used in part 1, and if it would create any plotholes if it was. I'm thinking that if it was, and it went unnoticed, that would be weird, but then again, I think we were *investigating* with Apollo, and Gumshoe only showed up to arrest him? If so, then I guess there's no real issue with that.
Overall, FANTASTIC case. So many funny moments and allusions, and the evidence and plot was honestly really well put together. TOTALLY recommend, and I'm SO happy it's going to be inspected to be featured. MARVELOUS job, and for being made in only *one and a half months?!* You're a god, seriously. I can't wait to see what you make next.
The Mindcastle System
(Don't know what a system is? Play 6-4, and take a look here.)
----------
OUR CASES:
- Athena Cykes ~ Locks on the Heart (synopsis)
- May Your Memory Be a Blessing
- A Little Piece of Healing
- The Killer Turnabout (~70% complete!)
- I guess we made the Looking Back case comp ceremony with Super legenda, but that's not an actual case

----------
Check out our music & art thread here!
coolbrad888

Post by coolbrad888 »

@risefromtheashes

Well, you just made my week! Thank you so much for all the kind words!

To answer a few of your questions...
Spoiler : :
It's not a coincidence that Bobby knows Masque. The way I envisioned it was that Masque was part of some sort of secret program with the police, and he makes disguises for their undercover investigators. He and bobby only know each other because they're essentially coworkers. Perhaps I can rewrite it to make that more clear.

Also thanks for letting me know about the sprites appearing on the far-away shots! I'm pretty sure it only happens when you click past a frame before the character is finished with their animation (pointing, shocked, etc.) so it IS a bug, but I've managed to fix most of them anyway. I'll have to comb through it a few more times.

Also, I agree with you that Winston's motive isn't super duper fleshed out. I tried to foreshadow it a little bit when he's complaining about ageism when he's first revealed and I tried to write it out a bit with the bonus conversation at the end, but it was difficult to fit stuff like that in. I'll see if I can rewrite some stuff and make it clearer.

Will Powers isn't suspected because 1: He has an alibi, and 2: "Klavier" never intended for the letters with the initials on them to be released as evidence in the first place. He didn't want to draw any attention to them, and they were only proven to be relevant in the final trial. As for the player itself suspecting him, you have a point. I can add in a few lines casting some doubt.

Oh, and about the trophy on the couch, "Klavier" didn't really want anyone to investigate that office because it was the real scene of the murder (hence why he was the one doing it in the first investigation) and gumshoe only showed up to arrest apollo, so that's why nobody payed the trophy any mind.
Again, thank you so much for everything you said! I was beginning to get a little worried that nobody had played it!

Tonoso2

Post by Tonoso2 »

Honestly, as soon as I realised Phoenix himself was gonna be a witness against the fake one, made me just laugh.
PatBrownGame

Post by PatBrownGame »

Okay, I may or may not make a full review later. But my god this was great. Props.
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Expect a few of these as I try to gather my thoughts. I'm working on the review, but it's looking like it'll be a long one.
Spoiler : Question 1 :
You say that everything after the original trilogy is largely ignored. How closely are you trying to stick to Apollo's canon personality?
coolbrad888

Post by coolbrad888 »

Spoiler : Answer 1 :
Not super close, but not completely different people. The real Apollo is a lot snarkier than mine from what I remember (especially in his own game), and mine only really gets annoyed when Klavier is around. Since sidekicks tend to be pretty happy-go-lucky, my Apollo is meant to be a blend of Apollo's more personable traits and the sidekick quirks (Steel samurai nerd, rookie complex, etc).

Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Well, made it to the first trial segment in my writeup...
Spoiler : Question 2 :
I've written a tutorial on Opening Statements and Detective Testimonies. Have you read it?

In my view, the case would benefit from applying some of the ideas I talked about there. I need to know if you just haven't seen that tutorial before, or if you thought you were applying those ideas. If the latter, I'll need to explain in more detail where the shortcomings are.
coolbrad888

Post by coolbrad888 »

I have not read it, but I'll give it a read.

EDIT:
I've finished reading it and I've realized some of the problems my first trial has. Namely that "Klavier" doesn't really show any evidence to support his stance (nor does he explain his stance in all that much detail) in his opening statement. Should I try and fix it now, or wait until you've finished your write-up?

Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Sure, go ahead and make the changes. I've saved a copy of the trial as it is right now, so I can see how you changed things without too much trouble. That'll actually be useful for me. Just let me know when you have that ready, so I can get back to this.