Prism Hotel Murder Case - Super Mystery Wars: Episode Conan [Demo]

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

TimeAxis
Spoken languages: English

Prism Hotel Murder Case - Super Mystery Wars: Episode Conan [Demo]

Post by TimeAxis »

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Episode Conan
- Prism Hotel Murder Case -

Trailer
(Also includes a trailer for Episode Phoenix: "The Poisonous Turnabout")
What is Super Mystery Wars?
Super Mystery Wars is a saga involving several famous Detective characters from various anime and video games, each with their own separate stories that will all eventually lead into an Avengers-style gathering of Detectives working together to solve the ultimate mystery. But up until then, each episode is standalone and can be enjoyed independent of the rest.

What is this case?
In the Prism Hotel Murder Case, you follow the attempts of a genius detective called Conan to solve a bizarre and seemingly impossible murder at the Prism Hotel. This case is strictly an investigation. You will gather evidence, interview witnesses, clash theories with other detectives, and find the truth. It will feel like you're playing through a Detective Conan/Case Closed episode.

Does this case contain any Spoilers?
It is being written to avoid spoilers, but depending on individual sensitivity, some things could be seen as minor spoilers for the following properties:
Spoiler : List of included properties :
Umineko: When They Cry (Question Arcs)
Detective Conan/Case Closed
Supernatural Detective Nougami Neuro
In most cases, however, nothing is spoiled beyond the core premise of each series.

I don't know any of these characters. Can I still enjoy this?
I'd love it if you did. My focus is first and foremost on writing a compelling mystery. The formula of Detective Conan lends itself extremely well to just jumping right in at any point, and this case is meant to mirror that formula as closely as possible. Even if you don't normally enjoy crossovers, I'd encourage people to give this one a shot. Of course, familiarity with the characters will just mean that you get even more out of it.
I started working on this case at the beginning of the year, although I stopped for a while to work on The Poisonous Turnabout, you can still say there's about a year of work put into this. The demo goes until the crime is revealed (it's about 20 minutes long), so the actual investigation proper is still not completed yet, although I do already have the mystery fully planned out, so I'd love to hear people's speculations and see if anyone can guess the truth with the little information shown so far.

Just be aware that tone-wise, this is essentially not an Ace Attorney game. There's a bit less of a focus on humor (although it's not devoid entirely), and it will be significantly more Japanese in feel, as I wanted to preserve the characters' manners of speaking. (Apologies in advance if that ends up being irksome to some people.) I'd recommend going in with fresh expectations. Also, be aware that there is a fair bit of optional dialogue. Things that are absolutely necessary for solving the mystery will of course be mandatory, but excessively curious players might end up rewarded with additional clues.

For those who watched the trailer and are more interested in The Poisonous Tournabout, don't worry, that's coming too, at some point. It will be posted in its own thread, but it has some issues that I need to iron out first.

Demo No Longer Available
Warning: This is a murder case, and it pulls its punches a bit less than typical Ace Attorney murders as far as how gruesome it gets at times, so be prepared.
(This demo will only be available temporarily, and will become Part 1 of the game proper once the rest of the case is completed. I'm the only one who's playtested it, so feel free to report any bugs or give feedback of any kind.)

Spoiler : Credits :
Conan Voice Files edited from files ripped by Puterboy1 of spritedatabase.net
Conan, Kogoro, Ran - Edited from sprites ripped from Detective Conan vs Kindaichi Case Files 3DS by TimeAxis
Conan Intro Graphics, Evidence, Music, etc. - Ripped and put together from various Detective Conan episodes/movies by TimeAxis
Conan Phantom Rhapsody Backgrounds ripped by Samevi of spriters-resource, edited by TimeAxis
Agasa - Edited from sprites ripped from Detective Conan: Phantom Rhapsody by Samevi of spriters-resource
Umineko Backgrounds, Music ripped from Umineko Project, edited by TimeAxis
Restaurant background edited from Toradora Portable BG ripped by Dazz of spriters-resource.com
Moore, Lily, Iri, Bonny, Reese, Roy sprites edited by TimeAxis, based on Persona 2 portraits ripped by canasniimehugh
Iri Veal 3D model used in background edited from Lisa Silverman model ripped/rigged by OTsunaO
Yako, Neuro sprites edited from sprites ripped from Nougami Neuro DS game (ripped by TimeAxis)
Some ace attorney resources (sounds, evidence, etc.) obtained from court-records.net
Original backgrounds, evidence, etc. by TimeAxis
Last edited by TimeAxis on Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
Question Arcs (Threads Coming Eventually)
ImageImageImageImage
Gaiden Episodes
Champion of Turnabouts ★
HALLOWEEN HERO
Other
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attornauts
The Curious Case of the Phantom Limousine (Coming Eventually)
The Imposter's Turnabout (Coming Maybe)
Blackrune
Spoken languages: English, German, Japanese

Re: Prism Hotel Murder Case - Super Mystery Wars: Episode Conan [Demo]

Post by Blackrune »

Well I'll say, Umineko? Conan? Neuro?
Sounds like it was made for me, so I'll be following this with great interest.

I checked out the demo and can say that you really captured that Conan episode feel so far. It even lasted roughly 20 minutes.
The sprites are a bit of a mad mix of styles, but that's to be expected in something like this.
Diyarhan
Spoken languages: Turkish, English

Post by Diyarhan »

As a fan of Conan, this really interests me. I really want to play the rest of the game. I'll wait for it!
Squidwarden

Post by Squidwarden »

Spoiler : :
The part where Conan and the others discovered Iri's body kinda scare me. :shock:
Image Image
TimeAxis

Post by TimeAxis »

Squidwarden wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:23 am
Spoiler : :
The part where Conan and the others discovered Iri's body kinda scare me. :shock:
Sorry about that. I guess it’s a little bit more gruesome than typical Ace Attorney stuff, more closely following the tone of Conan. Maybe I’ll put a little warning.
Question Arcs (Threads Coming Eventually)
ImageImageImageImage
Gaiden Episodes
Champion of Turnabouts ★
HALLOWEEN HERO
Other
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attornauts
The Curious Case of the Phantom Limousine (Coming Eventually)
The Imposter's Turnabout (Coming Maybe)
casewriter

Post by casewriter »

I hope the case is turning out good. Nice production value.