[T][CE] A Pre-Emptive Turnabout ○ - REMASTER INTRODUCTION RELEASED

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

clcman
Spoken languages: English

[T][CE] A Pre-Emptive Turnabout ○ - REMASTER INTRODUCTION RELEASED

Post by clcman »

One tiny change, and so much becomes different, and yet so much stays the same...

Behold A Pre-Emptive Turnabout, my first-ever AAO case, created by myself and TheWhiteWolfos almost TEN years ago (September 2011) for BBblader (now SwagmaWampyr) and Koopakirby's case competition Canon? Screw Canon!.

Unusually for those who know of my reputation, APET was finished, having been written in a month, but it was not quite polished. After the original release, I took it down for some upgrades and, in keeping with my reputation, never putting it back up.

Until now!

After extensive polishing and testing, as well as some updates with knowledge gained from almost a decade of AAO, A Pre-Emptive Turnabout is back and better than ever in a remaster for AAO V6!

Mostly. Due to some technical issues (the code for this thing is an absolute mess), it is being released in pieces. But it should prove enjoyable nonetheless! This first part is 1200 frames, and demonstrates the timeline changes and scenario quite well, I think. The rest should be along fairly quickly. Relative to this 10-year-long update cycle, anyways!
Spoiler : Links :
Prologue
Part 1 - coming soon!
Special thanks to risefromtheashes for considerable beta-testing and other assistance in this remaster.
Last edited by clcman on Wed May 19, 2021 4:34 am, edited 12 times in total.
What do REAL, NON-BRIBED people have to say about HTB!?
"This really changed the way I thought about Phoenix as a character. ...Wow." - Reecer6
"HTB! contains truths that might be hard to stomach, but had to be unveiled nonetheless." - Blackrune
"This deserves a best plot twist award." - Evo
"It changed my life, and it can change yours too. For the better, I mean." - Calvinball
"I will never look at Phoenix Wright the same way again" - PhoenixRises123
"omg best thing on aao" - AceAttorneyMaster111
DISCOVER THE TRUTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU DIDN'T KNOW IN HTB! PROLOGUE AND PART 1, AVAILABLE NOW!!

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -Isaac Asimov
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." -H. L. Mencken
Thursday
Spoken languages: English, Tagalog, Some French

Re: [C] Trial/Investigation: A Pre-Emptive Turnabout

Post by Thursday »

I've only played the prologue so far, but for something made in a month, it's pretty well-done! :D

The prologue sets everything up well, and there are only a couple errors. Really the only one I could remember is that you've forgotten to set female voices :P

Looking forward to the rest of your trial :)

Day 2 - Trial COMPLETE and Playable now!
clcman

Post by clcman »

Yeah, I'm not big on the whole male/female voice thing. But the prologue didn't get much love once I started on parts 1 and 2, so it should get even better.
"This really changed the way I thought about Phoenix as a character. ...Wow." - Reecer6
"HTB! contains truths that might be hard to stomach, but had to be unveiled nonetheless." - Blackrune
"It changed my life, and it can change yours too. For the better, I mean." - Calvinball
DISCOVER THE TRUTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU DIDN'T KNOW IN HTB! PROLOGUE AND PART 1, AVAILABLE NOW!!

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -Isaac Asimov
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." -H. L. Mencken
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Good! You made a [C] page. IE: I can discuss this here and not spoil stuff on the contest page!

Anyways... Played it through and I'll give a wall of text few comments about the case here.
Spoiler : PLEASE DON'T READ THIS UNLESS YOU'VE FINISHED THE CASE!!!! :
Anyways... for a first case, this was pretty well done. However, there were a few things that... miffed me.

1. The prologue could use some
a) Interactivity. For about a few hundred frames, it was just me clicking on that red arrow.
b) For the black screen prologue, you should have used wait timers. It seems kind of... off to click.
2. The mentor relationship between Phoenix and Diego seem kind of... lacking? There wasn't really any buildup at all, and it seemed quite empty. Maybe you could do a prequel case after this to buff up the relation?
3. April May's appearance in the trial seemed very abrupt, also, only one testimony? (Albeit, there were 3 contradictions.) It just seemed really abrupt from being the "happy" April May to "angry" April May.
4. The sudden appearance of Damon Gant, Detective Goodman, Angel Starr, Kristoph Gavin, and Ema Skye. Aight. It just felt like... fodder? They didn't really add to the story in any shape way or form, and their appearances felt forced.
5. The trial (as in the trial section of Day 2) was... a bit short.(But given you did this in one month, it's quite good.) Also, Manfred von Karma didn't really put up much of a fight. His performance was a bit lacking.
6. The whole Shelly de Killer thing seemed kind of forced as well. As well, it seemed like the trial kind of lost its focus from the murder to why did Edgeworth hire Shelly de Killer. As a result, it seems that are lots of holes in the logic.
7. (This one is quite minor) The lack of optional examinations. (ex: Charley the plant, etc.)

Now that we're out of that "icky" part, let me write what I thought was good about the trial:
1. The plot was quite good. Interesting concept of having milk in the coffee leading to such a dramatic shift in the reality of the PW universe.
2. The script writing was quite good as well.
3. The characters were generally in character. (I know this sounds really redundant but...)
4. The twist you ended it on was... quite interesting.
5. I liked how Gumshoe arrested Phoenix for "tax evasion" and "obstruction of justice".

Anyways... This case was quite a good case for a beginner (though really, I shouldn't be talking as I haven't made any cases myself.) Good concept, good idea, but I think it needs a bit more polish (but granted, you had 1 month to do this trial) Also, please don't let the fact that there are more "negatives" than positives bear any meaning upon what I said. I was just pointing out some minor nitpicky stuff. The positives weighed much more into my consideration than the negatives. Also, why on earth am I being so formal? >.<

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
clcman

Post by clcman »

Yeah. Towards the end (especially Part 3) I had to start cutting stuff like crazy (dropping Kristoph's cross-examination, April's second, White's second, Angel's cross-examination and reducing the end to a couple of :takethat:s) because of time pressure. However, the second case uses the guest stars much more. (And Kristoph's appearance becomes very important.)
Spoiler : :
The De Killer thing did make it tough to catch White on a contradiction, since 90% of the evidence was from the scene itself, which White never went to.
Last edited by clcman on Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

Hmm

I guess I'll wait until Gold Edition to play, if you really cut that much out.
clcman

Post by clcman »

Bad Player wrote:Hmm

I guess I'll wait until Gold Edition to play, if you really cut that much out.
I mainly cut 'expendable' content. The story is pretty much the same.

clcman

Post by clcman »

Also, I'm looking for suggestions for tougher "von Karma level" contradictions for the end of Gold Edition.
Anyone?

LanaSkyeFan
Spoken languages: English, Indonesian, Palembangnese

Post by LanaSkyeFan »

Spoiler : attachment :
why is the text written like that.JPG
something wrong with the trial? (=3)
Last edited by LanaSkyeFan on Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 1000 character limit.
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

LanaSkyeFan wrote:something wrong with the trial? (=3)
Someone broke the trial... >.<
As for Von Karma evilness, you need to have objections on every press, testimonies without ANY contradictions, pseudo game overs, etc. Make it as impossible to win as possible.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
clcman

Post by clcman »

LanaSkyeFan, I have no idea why that happened (though the dialogue is from Grossberg's psyche-locks).

I tried for contradiction-less testimonies, but the time crunch combined with the fact that you already have all the evidence makes that harder.

April's second testimony will probably not have any contradictions, really.

Any ideas for White?
Spoiler : :
(And I did include I fake game over)

SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

clcman's not online and I can't get past the first CE of part 3... Kwando, can you help me out?
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
Koopakirby

Post by Koopakirby »

LanaSkyeFan wrote:something wrong with the trial? (=3)
Please put that in spoiler tags. It spoils the appearance of many characters.
Please play my trial series: Layers of Truth!
It contains my featured trial, Reinstate the Turnabout! Part 1 / Part 2
Heeeeey! Pinkie Pie here! Just asking for you to please check out Ask Pinkie Pie! It'll be a real party! I promise!
theWhiteWolfos

Post by theWhiteWolfos »

Two updates:

One, this trial just won the Canon? SCREW Canon! Contest. Happiness all around!

Also, we have a little teaser trailer for the next trial in the series. You can see it here:
http://aceattorney.sparklin.org/jeu.php?id_proces=30709
clcman

Post by clcman »

Yes. WE ARE VICTORIOUS!!!!!!

Also, the first Gold Edition Update is in the works. It looks like at least 3 additional cross-examinations, a little more evidence, and a tiny bit of additional investigation.

The end might also be re-worked a little bit.

Then, on to the sequel!