[T][AU]Shattered Glass ○★○○○ (Case 0 Teaser available)

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

TheDoctor
Spoken languages: English

Re: [T][AU]Shattered Glass: Turnabout Reversal ★

Post by TheDoctor »

Thank you both! And BP, don't worry too much about it taking so long, as it gave me the opportunity to change one minor snippet of dialogue, namely...
Spoiler : :
Towards the end, von Karma originally said Franziska was returning from Germany. I decided to change it to Amestris due to a decision to use mostly fictional country names in this series (The United States of Japan still counts because only the "Japan" part of it is currently a country). So, England would be the Holy Britannian Empire, Germany would be Amestris, China would either Zheng Fa or Xing Fa (possibly both, with an in-universe explanation for the change), etc...
Anyway, in response to Bad Player's spoiler...
Yeah, that fade thing is evidently a bug. I'll have to come up with a workaround. Not a bug, my own stupidity. I forgot to change the "redirect if failure" frame ID to match the fade out frame instead of the pitch black frame. :sawhit: As for changing the "Shattered Glass" series name, do you mean removing it from the trial's title, or changing the name of the series it's supposed to be part of in the trial manager?
Last edited by TheDoctor on Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

Change the series name in the trial manager. Go look at the featured trials list, you should see what I mean xP
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

Fixed.

Also, turns out the "bug" with the fades in the one Cross-Examination was caused by my own stupidity. I neglected to change the "redirect if failure" frame ID to match the fade out frame instead of the pitch black frame. Go figure.
Image Image Image
Calvinball

Post by Calvinball »

I just played through the case yesterday and I'd like to give my impressions on it now. First of all, I need to say that this case is very good and it deserves its featured status. There is literally only one complaint I have and that is that for some reason all the :objection: 's, :holdit: 's, and :takethat: 's looked oddly... stiff? I've noticed the same weird thing while I've been experimenting and making trials. Maybe I'm just remembering the games wrong, but I've made a habit of adding a "shake screen" to make the bubbles look a little more dynamic. *shrug*

Anyway, onto the spoilery stuff! Psuedo-review/general thoughts below.
Spoiler : General Thoughts :
If I may you did a fantastic job. Now, I'm something of an aspiring writer, so I wanted to first compliment how well written your case is. AU is remarkably difficult to pull off, since the player technically already knows what the story is and what's happened before. The trick is somehow making the same thing work in a different way or in making something different happen but so you don't expect it, and Turnabout Reversal does the latter beautifully.

You had just the right kind of misdirection to keep me guessing as to the true identity of the killer. On the one hand, this is Ace Attorney! How can the defendant be guilty? On the other, we know Sawhit did it the first time, and Larry's our only other option! von Karma even said to get the client found guilty if he really was guilty. But, in the end, the clues pointed to only one conclusion and what a doozy of a conclusion it was!

This brings me to the other point I really wanted to compliment you on. The "thought path." The dynamic animation was something rather stunning and Miles's logic helped me better understand the case without it feeling like hand holding.

That reminds me! Your AU Miles and AU von Karma are really good! They are reminiscent of the canon personalities but remain distinct. I especially like how we got to see what von Karma's plan was in the end. Covering every avenue and being ready for absolutely anything to happen really fits him as a character (I will always remember him as the prosecutor who retrained a parrot, just in case).
All in all, a great case, and I am astonished to hear that this was your first! It really seems more like the work of a more experienced trial author. If any more cases in this series come out, I'll be sure to play them!
The score is still Q to 12. Shirley Homes avatar by my Invisible Friend. They're an awesome artist!
ImageImage

A huge thanks to my Invisible Friend for this AMAZING Shirley Homes art!

Shirley Homes

Connie Harper
A big thanks to gotMLK7 for this Shirley Homes and Connie Harper art. He is an awesome artist!
Reverie

Post by Reverie »

I've found a bug in the trial, but I'm not sure whether it's an issue with the case or an issue with v6, so I'll put this here unless it turns out to be the latter.
Using this link, selecting a wrong answer, then proceeding for a few more frames causes the player to freeze up. I think it's because the game over redirection redirects to a frame where the player's health is set to 0, meaning it just repeats that frame, but I'm not sure.
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

I think it should be fixed now. Don't have time to test it atm.

EDIT: Nope, still isn't fixed. I'm going to have to post this one in the help thread.
Image Image Image
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

The bug has been fixed. Turns out my wait timer was too short when the health bar was supposed to reduce.
Image Image Image
willamcraft

Re: [T][AU]Shattered Glass: Turnabout Reversal ☆

Post by willamcraft »

Can I have a bit of help? I can describe what is going on via Spoiler tag.
What is the answer to the first CE? :tigre: :tigre: :tigre:
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

Spoiler : Hint 1 :
Be sure to listen to the advice given when you reach the end of the CE loop.
Spoiler : Hint 2 :
You have pressed all the statements, right?
Spoiler : Hint 3 :
Doesn't that one statement seem a little odd considering what we know to be true about the murder?
Spoiler : Hint 4 :
Do you really think the knife could have been the murder weapon? Why not?
Spoiler : If you haven't figured it out by now... :
If you can't figure it out from the clues given to you, you're probably better off playing something that requires less critical thought. It only gets harder from here, my friend. I'll be nice and give you the answer though...

Press all the statements (well, one in particular, but it's a good practice to press all when stumped).
Sawhit's new statement that says he believes the knife to be the murder weapon contradicts both the autopsy report and the thinker statue. Present either one of those two.
Image Image Image
Mr. Onizuka
Spoken languages: English, Español

Post by Mr. Onizuka »

It took quite a while, but I finally played the whole case. I have no real memory of the original case I played, but all I can say is that this is a pretty good work. The game was arguably simple, but all the puzzles were really well made (I got stuck at some point in the "what's wrong with the crime scene bloodstains", but once I solved it, I noticed it was just me being dense haha), the logic is solid and overall, it flows pretty well. My only concerns are minor (I think that sometimes during CEs the fades take too long, but as far as I know, that can be only me), so yeah, pretty good work.
Spoiler : Some impressions :
  • Dude, your characterization was pretty fun. Loved the alternate (and seemingly honorable) von Karma. It is an interesting character, and since DL-6 is part of this story, I just can't wait to see what his role was during that incident (I surely expect a very complex character in him)
  • Yup, you solved the issue of the music playing for too few frames.
  • Well, nothing much to say, but for a last note, it's very well done the way some pieces of evidence become more and more important as the trial proceeds. That's something really important in this kind of game design, and I think you just nailed it.
Well, I hope to see more of this trial series. I understand it might take some time, but I'll stay tuned. Good job!
Blizdi

Post by Blizdi »

Are you going to make a progress meter/percentage tracker? Or are you keeping it as "When it's released"?
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

I'll post a percentage whenever I have a percentage to post. I've had some irl issues preventing me from doing much of anything on the other cases, sadly.
Image Image Image
Delta Falcon

Post by Delta Falcon »

Not bad but I'm a little stumped at one point.
In Larry's first testimony, what do I do? I don't see any contradictions.
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

Spoiler : Hint 1 :
First, you should follow Edgeworth's advice and review everything you know about the case. In other words, pay close attention to the evidence descriptions.
Spoiler : Hint 2 :
Regarding which statement is contradictory, pay close attention to the timing of events. What about the evidence should be impossible if events happened exactly as Larry stated?
Spoiler : Hint 3 :
You can narrow it down a little if you figure out which pieces of evidence couldn't possibly be contradictory. i.e. Evidence that couldn't possibly be related to his testimony.
Spoiler : Hint 4 :
That should leave you with the Autopsy Report and the Thinker Statue as viable candidates. So, is there anything about either of those in the descriptions that should be impossible if everything happened just as Larry said? Remember, it's a timing thing.
Spoiler : Hint 5 :
His statement that he made Sawhit drop the weapon just after seeing him bash Cindy's head in contradicts the fingerprints and blood being wiped of the statue. If everything happened within the timing Butz stated, Sawhit would have never had the chance to wipe it down.
Spoiler : Hint 6 :
This is a fake hint. Start over from the top.
Spoiler : Answer :
Not putting the answer here. You should be able to figure it out with the hints I gave you. Start over from the top.
Image Image Image
BluHamlet

Post by BluHamlet »

I really like the idea of this series and I wanted to give the first case a try, but I've run into a bit of a problem. When a witness is giving testimony (the first time, not the cross examination part) the lower screen button will turn into the double arrows, as if text was typing. But nothing happens, there's no text being displayed. Sometimes if I wait long enough it'll eventually show up, other times I had to reload the page multiple times for it to work. I only got as far as the second testimony where I encountered the problem and I just gave up.

I glanced through the thread to see if anyone else had the same problem but I didn't find anything so maybe it's something on my end? I'm using Firefox and I'm playing the latest version. Got any suggestions on what to do?