An idea for the next Mafia round(s)

Archives of the AAOnline Mafia game, now relocated to http://saccharynepark.co.cc/
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

An idea for the next Mafia round(s)

Post by Unas »

I've been thinking about that today : why couldn't we adapt the Mafia game to make it more AA-like ?

Even though I won't be able to participate in any way to mafia games for a long while, I give you my ideas so that the next rounds GMs can decide if it's worth being played or not ^^

It would work this way :

Preparations :
  • As usual, all people are assigned either to the Mafia or Townie side, and some of them get a role.
  • One of the townies gets the "sub-role" of District Chief Prosecutor. A "sub-role" because it can be given to someone who already has another role. If the Chief Prosecutor dies, this sub-role will automatically be given to another townie, randomly chosen.
Night phase :
  • As usual, Mafians have an opportunity to kill someone.
  • During the same time, the Chief Prosecutor chooses a defendant and a 5-person jury, and informs the GM of his choice.
Day phase :
  • At the beginning of the phase, the defendant's identity is publicly revealed, and all members of the jury are secretely informed by the GM that they have been given that task.
  • During the day, members of the Jury have to make their mind between the "Guilty" and "Not Guilty" verdict. They have to secretely inform the GM about their choice before the end of the phase.
  • At the end of the phase, the GM counts the results of this vote and acts according to the majority's choice : the defendant will die if declared guilty, and live if not.
  • If the defendant dies, his true identity (faction and role) will be revealed publicly.

About roles, most of them can exist in any faction. Here's the list I could think about :
Manfred Von Karma (Mafian or Townie)
Power : Evidence Forgery
Once a day, Von Karma can edit one post in the living thread. He has to inform the GM on which post to edit and what contents tu put in : the GM does this and locks the post (moderators can do that ^^) so that the true poster can't change it back.
One-time power : Murder
No matter what side he's on, Von Karma can organise the murder of one person during the night phase.

Phoenix Wright (Mafian or Townie)
Power : Defense's argument
Each day phase, can influence the jury in favour of a "Not Guilty" verdict. It means that, for example, if the result of the jury's vote is 2 Guilty/3 Not Guilty, this action will change it to 1 Guilty/4 Not Guilty.
One-time power : Turnabout
Thanks to an exceptional argument, Phoenix can ensure a "Not Guilty" verdict for the defendant.

Miles Edgeworth (Mafian or Townie)
Power : Prosecution's argument
Contrary to Phoenix, Edgey can choose to influence the jury's vote, in the same way as Phoenix, but in favour of a "Guilty" verdict.
One-time power : Perfect Logic
Thanks to his perfect logic, Edgeworth can either convince the jury of his thought, and thus ensure the verdict he wants, or find a path to the truth, thus making sure that the verdict is accurate. (That last point means that, if so he chooses, Edgey can make the defendant Guilty if he's mafian and Not Guilty if he's townie, without knowing beforehand.)

Damon Gant (Mafian or Townie)
Power : Investigation
On each day phase, Damon Gant is informed of the faction and role of the defendant.
One-time power : Control over Prosecutor's office
Damon Gant can choose the members of the jury instead of the Chief Proecutor. When doing so, his identity (faction and role) is revealed to the Chief Prosecutor.

Redd White (Mafian)
Power : Blackmail
Redd White can choose to influence the jury's vote in the same way as Phoenix, but towards the verdict he desires.
One-time power : Bluecorp spying network
Redd White can spy on all members of the jury, and thus know their identity, including their role.

Maya Fey (Townie)
Power : Channelling
Once a day, Maya can ask a question to the dead person she chooses. It will be done through the intermediate of the GM, and the dead one who answers can only give her information that he knew - or thought - when he was alive.
One-time power : Channelling II
Maya can channel one of the dead people to get his role instead of hers. This can't be undone : Maya is no longer Maya after that. If he channels a character whose role is only mafian, then she goes mafian herself.

Since even the votes will be held secretly, you may think it will unfair to the townies : I thought about this and I think it's in fact quite balanced.
First, you may have noticed that One-time powers are no longer hidden. This should be an advantage to townies, who usually know nothing about it whereas mafians usually communicate about this...
Second, some of these "2-factions roles" can be balanced to be a bit more powerful in the hands of a townie : take a look at the Damon Gant role, for example...

So here are my thoughts, everyone's welcome to comment them :D

Problems... and answers if they exist :mrgreen:
  • What happens if the chosen defendant or one of the jury members is killed during the night?
    I guess the CP should designate one defendant and a backup one in case the first is killed. As to the jury, I guess it will have to run with one less person that day.
  • One major flaw here, is the fact that one person gets to decide who goes up, and if the District Chief Prosecutor is someone who gets bad tunnel vision, the town could be toast.
    True... This sub-role is a key-role and the person who has it has maybe too much importance...
  • If the District Chief Prosecutor has 5 flunkies that will vote whatever he asks, that's what we call the government [...].
    The Jury thing could be adjusted so that at least 2 people must be different each time and no one can be on it more than twice in a row. (Karfka's answer :D )
    The jury's size should be increased to 7 (Prinny's suggestion)
  • Damon Gant is way too powerful, either side he's on !
    I guess so... It still needs some work :mrgreen:

Other suggested roles

Judge (Townie)
Power: Judge's Ruling
This power may influence the vote either in one direction, as the defense and prosecution normally influence it, or, at the judge's choice, negate the defense and prosecution's effects on the ruling. The judge is informed after each lynch whether the defense and prosecution influenced the vote, and in which direction.
One-time power : ?
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
RandomJibberish

Re: An idea for the next Mafia round(s)

Post by RandomJibberish »

Interesting Ideas. I see that it's just like Lynching, but only 5 people can vote.

I like how the roles use this too.

I like Maya Fey's role too, but it doesn't use the same system.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Karfka

Post by Karfka »

What happens if the chosen defendant or one of the jury members is killed during the night? Does the Chief Prosecutor choose a replacement, or does he choose backups during the night phase so as to not waste time during the day?
Tvmady

Post by Tvmady »

i like your idea unas. the maya role does quite good. i dont think phoenix can be either mafia or townie isnt a very good idea. he should stay townie
--
videocrazy
Spoken languages: English

Post by videocrazy »

One major flaw here, is the fact that one person gets to decide who goes up, and if the District Chief Prosecutor is someone who gets bad tunnel vision, the town could be toast.

Zeroes

Post by Zeroes »

That's not a flaw, that's the person's fault, not the system's.
AntiRoyalty

Post by AntiRoyalty »

Ehh... if we DO use this idea, we're gonna have to come up with all new HPs.
Brb.
videocrazy

Post by videocrazy »

That's part of the flaw. See, the whole idea of the town lynching someone is that it's done by majority vote. If someone decides who to put up every day, it's against the whole idea of the Town. And if the District Chief Prosecutor has 5 flunkies that will vote whatever he asks, that's what we call the government. And that's just as bad as the mafia, who's aspiring to do pretty much what they do already.

Kagami

Post by Kagami »

Aubergine wrote:Ehh... if we DO use this idea, we're gonna have to come up with all new HPs.
Unas wrote:First, you may have noticed that One-time powers are no longer hidden. This should be an advantage to townies, who usually know nothing about it whereas mafians usually communicate about this...
:)

@vc: Seeing as this Chief Prosecutor is a Townie role, I highly doubt that they'd pick five Mafioso (edit: or just the same people over and over, as you're suggesting) and make them do whatever they wanted. That would be like making their own faction altogether.
However, I do feel that, while this jury system sounds really cool, it might need a little bit of work. I'm just not sure what, though.
Scribble, we miss you. :(
videocrazy

Post by videocrazy »

I know the District Chief Prosecutor is a townie subrole, I'm just saying, if someone like force got the subrole, there'd be some trouble.

AntiRoyalty

Post by AntiRoyalty »

Kagami wrote:
Aubergine wrote:Ehh... if we DO use this idea, we're gonna have to come up with all new HPs.
Unas wrote:First, you may have noticed that One-time powers are no longer hidden. This should be an advantage to townies, who usually know nothing about it whereas mafians usually communicate about this...
Oh sh-- I didn't read. Sorry.
Brb.
XDGummyDX
Spoken languages: English, pequito Espanol.

Post by XDGummyDX »

O_O It's kinda scary, but this morning I had a lot of the same ideas. ^^; Namely for an AA-based Mafia game.

I like your ideas, but the concept of a jury will definitely have to be refined. Because, with a chosen jury of 5 people, the Chief Prosecutor could easily manipulate the votes.

Redd White's power seems a bit sketchy; How does he specifically influence the Jury's vote? And how does Miles influence the votes, specifically?

Anyways, I love von Karma's power. That would be interesting indeed. And Maya's powers are perfect, being able to ask questions of the dead. Overall, very good job, Unas. :D
Thank you for the sig, Kuro~
Karfka

Post by Karfka »

The Jury thing could be adjusted so that 5 different people must be chosen each time. Or that at least 2 people must be different each time and no one can be on it more than twice in a row.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

videocrazy wrote:And if the District Chief Prosecutor has 5 flunkies that will vote whatever he asks, that's what we call the government.
You forget a point : even though that player is Chief prosecutor, he's still a townie and doesn't know who to trust at the beginning. And even if he finds out 5 townies of whose identity he's reasonably sure, they can still have different point of view and not vote for the same thing. Even more if he choses - without knowing it - a Mafia among them.

videocrazy wrote:One major flaw here, is the fact that one person gets to decide who goes up, and if the District Chief Prosecutor is someone who gets bad tunnel vision, the town could be toast.
Well of course this character has a major role, quite like the chief judge in round 3 if I understood well.
Redd White's power seems a bit sketchy; How does he specifically influence the Jury's vote? And how does Miles influence the votes, specifically?
I didn't write it again, but it's the same as Phoenix, except that Phoenix can only do this towards a Not Guilty verdict, Edgey towards a Guilty verdict and White towards what he wants.
XDGummyDX wrote:I like your ideas, but the concept of a jury will definitely have to be refined. Because, with a chosen jury of 5 people, the Chief Prosecutor could easily manipulate the votes.
Of course this system needs some work, I just thought it in, like, 45 minutes (not at full concentration ^^).
However, I'd say that it's precisely what makes it so particular (and interesting I think) that the CP can manipulates the votes a bit. Because therefore he can be a very powerful asset to the town if he's played well :)

Karfka wrote:The Jury thing could be adjusted so that 5 different people must be chosen each time. Or that at least 2 people must be different each time and no one can be on it more than twice in a row.
That's quite a good idea, Karfka. A really good one in fact :wink:

Keep going with criticism and ideas, I hope we can do something out of this :mrgreen:
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
XDGummyDX
Spoken languages: English, pequito Espanol.

Post by XDGummyDX »

I noticed that you appear unsure of who should be on which side; Townie or Mafian. Why is this? Have you just left that up to decision, or....?
Thank you for the sig, Kuro~