Rule Discussion Topic! (A place to help make a change!)

Archives of the AAOnline Mafia game, now relocated to http://saccharynepark.co.cc/

"You are dead PM's from the GM:

Yes! I'm tired of searching for stuff!
76%
I dunno...I think it should be the GM's decision.
24%

Total votes: 25

Ami
Spoken languages: English

Re: Rule Discussion Topic! (A place to help make a change!)

Post by Ami »

How about this:

AMENDMENT: A Wildcard becomes affiliated when 3 townies (if there are 2 or less townies, it takes all of them), or 2 Mafiosi (if there is only one left, it only needs one) makes an official request to the GM via a PM. The player in question must also make a request within the same phase in a PM to the GM, and chooses what faction he/she wants to go to. If none of these prerequisites are met, then the affiliation request doesn't go through. Only the player affiliated is told of the success/failure of his/her affiliation request.
since 2008!
videocrazy

Post by videocrazy »

That's so prone to abuse, no offense, but I don't know where to start. While I do wish Wildcards had a choice in who to affiliate with, that setup doesn't work.

Basically, it would work like this.

Wildcard tells players A, B, and C he's a wildcard, and asks to be affiliated with the townies. Wildcard requests town, one or more of the players are mafia, no affiliation, and the wildcard knows at least one player is mafia.

The effect could be diluted if you required more players to request, but that's a bit annoying for everyone, and the effect strengthens if the amount lowers. Something like "The wildcard chooses who to affiliate with" can work, but only if there's like one or two, and they'd have to be nilla, or they could just go to whichever side has the better power(s).

Advance Stratagist

Post by Advance Stratagist »

Course, you do realize that if the mafia find a wildcard that is bent on joining the town, they'd just kill them? Or even better, tell a 4th person to help them affiliate the person, since only the wildcard is told if they are affiliated or not, and tada, they look like they helped get a wild in.
Image It hatched, and it still wants clicks. Go figure.
videocrazy

Post by videocrazy »

Well, if the person was told who affiliated who, that ruins it there. And if it doesn't, that opens up a whole new set of problems.

Regy Rusty

Post by Regy Rusty »

Regarding wild cards:

Obviously, everyone involved needs to know whether it was a success or a failure. But they needn't know why or who was involved.

Basically, I think the best way to handle it is the following:

Town: 3 townies must send in requests for the specific player to join the Town. The Wildcard must send their request saying "I would like to join the Town." Then, at the END OF THE PHASE, the Wildcard gets a PM that says: "You are now a part of the town," and nothing more. And each of the three townies get a SEPARATE PM saying "So and so is now a part of the town." Thus, the three townies have the wild card confirmation, but no one gets automatic townie confirmation of each other.

Mafia: 2 mafians must send in requests for the specific player to join the Mafia. The Wildcard must send their request saying "I would like to join the Mafia." Then, at the END OF THE PHASE, the Wildcard gets a PM that says: "You are now a part of the Mafia," and nothing more. The two Mafians CAN be sent the same PM saying "So and so is now a part of the Mafia." Thus, the two mafians have the wild card confirmation, and the wildcard finds out nothing that the mafia doesn't choose to tell them.

Make sense?
Advance Stratagist

Post by Advance Stratagist »

I'm pretty sure that was the general idea behind what geno was trying to say earlier. If it wasn't then yes I agree with regy, this is how it should be done if we're keeping the need for people from the faction their joining sending requests also.
Image It hatched, and it still wants clicks. Go figure.
Ami

Post by Ami »

Well, there goes the lazay approach. I think, though, that it might add a bit more paranoia in the players (fun for all, mirite?) if only the affiliating player is told, but I see where you're coming from.

I like Regy's idea, btw. Although, I'd like to put it in simpler terms.
since 2008!
Ghaleon

Post by Ghaleon »

Simple terms: If there are three people asking for a Wildcard to join the Town and the Wildcard asks to join the Town as well, the request is done.

If two mafioso request the Wildcard to join the Mafia and the Wildcard asks to join the Mafia as well, the request is done.

Which means, anyone (Townie and/or Mafioso) can add a Wildcard to the Town. Only Mafioso can add a Wildcard to the Mafia.
videocrazy

Post by videocrazy »

Good, but the only flaw I can see right now (I might have missed something), is that it's such an alien concept it may have to be warned about it a few times the first couple of phases.

That and who's told who helped affiliate a person, whether it being the affiliator or the affiliatee?

Ghaleon

Post by Ghaleon »

Wildcard affiliation has been used as a crutch to declare Townies as pure. Therefore, if the affiliation is successful, no one is aware of who actually set up the Wildcard as Town. The ones sending the request receive a PM saying "Affiliation successful" and know not of who else sent requests. Even the Wildcard knows not who affiliated him or her.

The simple version of this rule (if set into a permanent status) is really easy to understand. Explaining it multiple times about it during a round shows the player/s' inability to use their brain.
videocrazy

Post by videocrazy »

That's a great idea, and I vote it should be implemented.

Zeroes

Post by Zeroes »

But what are the chances that three people (Or two, for the Mafia) will affiliate the same person in the same phase? Most of the time, they'd try to affiliate in groups, right? So, even if they got a confirmation PM separately, they'd still could just contact each other and see if they received the same PM, therefore confirming that the people they worked with are Townie...
XDGummyDX
Spoken languages: English, pequito Espanol.

Post by XDGummyDX »

s0L0 might have a point there. But then again, s0L0, why would they need to contact each other and ask if they got the same PM? If they have a confirmation PM, then why ask others about it? That's silly. Especially since it could risk the information getting into the wrong hands.

I like Regy's idea, and I agree that the people who affiliate the Wildcard have a right to know if it worked or not.
Thank you for the sig, Kuro~
Ami

Post by Ami »

Alright then...let me redraft this...

AMENDMENT: To affiliate a Wildcard into the town, it takes a request from three players (whether the player is mafia, town, or otherwise doesn't matter), and a request made by the wildcard. These requests are made in a PM to the GM. To affiliate a Wildcard into the Mafia, it takes a request from two players, both of which must be of the same mafioso faction, and a request from the wildcard to affiliate with the mafia. These requests are also made via PM to the GM.

I rather like this set-up, since it prevents confirmed townies beyond the affiliated wildcard.
since 2008!
videocrazy

Post by videocrazy »

Zeroes wrote:But what are the chances that three people (Or two, for the Mafia) will affiliate the same person in the same phase? Most of the time, they'd try to affiliate in groups, right? So, even if they got a confirmation PM separately, they'd still could just contact each other and see if they received the same PM, therefore confirming that the people they worked with are Townie...
See, but the people who get it can share with the other players, as well. Also, not telling who affiliated who achieves the paranoia Geno said he was looking for, because not even the wildcard knows who they can trust.

At the very least, the mafia being able to affiliate a wildcard into the town is a splendid idea.

Cut: Exactly. The players with the PM notifying that it worked are to the affiliators, but the wildcard can't tell if they're mafia or townie, not being told at all. Is this right, or did I misread?