Roulette Rules

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Roulette Rules

Post by enigma »

Roulette Rules

Making stupid metaphors since 19XX! Well, at least it's not chess...
Alfred Hitchcock wrote:"Roulette competitions are always the best competitions. Especially when run by Enigma and Zeel"
Welcome to our humble establishment (and completely legal business), sir. Care to spin the roulette wheel? So far, red has been winning all night but I'm sure that if you bet on black, you'll be pleasantly surprised. After all, a spin of a single wheel couldn't do that much damage...

Ah, the roulette wheel. The most luck based game there is (assuming you're as bad at math as I am. I also don't know how a roulette wheel works.) You spin the wheel, and the ball picks your number. A true gamble. And this competition is a celebration of that unknown, the pounding thrill of the unknown and the excitement of chance which eventually caves into a crippling addiction that costs you all your money and ruins your life..

Task:

Make a case that fits the Prompt

A standard roulette wheel has 36 spots (well, I mean, depending which country you're in). As a result, we have prepared 36 possible challenges/mini-themes! Almost all of these are non-specific, broad and flexible (no X amount of frames or must include character Y). And when you enter, you spin that roulette to receive one of these amazing random prompts from our secret list! As planned, there should be no double-ups either. Meaning that everyone will have a completely unique prompt to work with!

Note that, since (apparently) there are some concerns about how to judge cases writing under different prompts, instead of scoring theme relevancy we'll be scoring it as a simple yes/no. As long as your case somehow fits your prompt, you're fine! The main judgement here will be almost all on the case's quality. Presentation, writing, puzzles and general enjoyment.

Spin the Wheel only as much as you need

When you enter, you've spun the wheel and will be sent your prompt. Now, if you're completely unsatisfied with your spin, you'll be allowed to spin again after 2 days have passed. However, please try to... not do this.

Overall, good luck! And may the odds be ever in your favor.

Conditions:
  • The entry must have been created between the 25th of January and the 12th of April
  • The entry must not be showcased until judging has been completed
  • The entry must be relevant to it's prompt
  • The entry may spoil any Ace Attorney game released at time of writing.
  • The entry may be a comedy/miscellaneous case.
  • Complete entries are preferred, but not required
  • The entry must be sent to both me and Zeel.
Deadline

All entries muct be declared and submitted by 12/4/2015 at 0:00:00 AWST

Entrants

SwagmaWampyr and Tap (May the Nekos and Dropbears guide them to the number nyan spot!) 4 Hours to Deadline: All Kings Fall
Dave and Hershel_Layton and GotMLK7 and NihilisticNinja (Will they Slurpuff a victory? Or will their prompt leave them too puzzled? Whatever the case, we can be guaranteed that their entry won't have enough Calypso. ...Killer Queen.) Day [Number]: Four-sooth, it seems this four-lorn four-mation was not to be. Alas.
Gumpei and DeHughes (Hey, I'm Gump! I'm not so Gump! And we're.... The Truf Gumps!)
Blackrune (Will he have the courage to see this trial through?!)Day Locked-Rune: Realised without BP his cases are doomed from the start!
Wackyman and Holhol ([Please insert Skullgirls and Bayonetta pun here relating to the comp. Enigma is lazy.])
Ferdie and SamiFire(Glad they could pigeon and try this coo-ompetition out and try and make a case we can all adMiRa!)
Sleuth (He's facing the luck of the draw. And something about sharks.) Day 1: Eaten by sharks.
Reecer6 (I wonder how Reecer's pieces will turn out!)
BadPlayer (The judges are bracing themselves for Turnabout Shirtless Men 2: Naitou's Revenge!)Day Eh-Hobo: Realised without Rune his cases are doomed from the start!
DarthWiader (DEER TEETH, FOR YOU ENTRANT!) Day [y]: Thrown into the Rancor Pit
Riksking and Rinkkjs (Link us to the best possible entry with the most difficult to pronounce name, if you can!)
Spyromed (Um... Cave story to victory or something?)
DWaM (Umineko Wars V: 5/5 would comp again) Day [*shrug*]: Found dead in a locked room.
Evolina (Turnabout Naitou is totally a prompt) Night O: Topping Da Fyrst Vampyre Turnabout is impossible
Gav (I'd flip your name backwards but DWaM already made that joke... Sorry...)Day who cares: Banned for a tasteless joke
Gamer2002 (Will 2015 be the year of the Gamer?!)
DLA (Will he Celes on his comp case idea?!) Day [x]: Sold to the circus
CLCman (Could he be the.... Competition Leader: Cool man?!)
KoopaKirby and MisterDonut (With the power of Nintendo and pastries on their side, they can't lose, right?!) Day [???]: Apparently they can. Sorta.
Koda (I wonder what sort of kodaing he's going to program into his title?)
Alnar (Riding into this comp on the back of a Suicune!) Day Something-or-other: Killed by suicune. Remember, kids. Suicune is a wild animal and is not a pet.
Danielinhoni (Will their case be as sweet as the sound of music?)Day Iunno: At least they can consider what they've done a personal victory...
Calvinball (Will he reform the way we see trials? Or will he and his best friend collab to make a case on contract law?)
Last edited by enigma on Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:09 pm, edited 32 times in total.
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Re: Roulette Rules

Post by kwando1313 »

... Oh gosh. You guys came up with 36 different prompts?

Also, does this mean no collabs? Slightly confused with that right now...

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Zeel1™
Spoken languages: English

Post by Zeel1™ »

Collabs are fine, as we can easily PM you both
Turnabout Ghost - 1400 Frames
SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

In. Hopefully this won't mess up my plan. I once again owe a massive debt to Tap, first in giving me the opportunity to script on something like HSH, and now again for giving me huge inspiration to get off my butt and do something after playing Remembrance. And I can confidently say I can finish off prior obligations too, now that some old wounds have finally closed.

I won't be making my entry public, however. You the audience are welcome to request it by PM once it's done, but I also have the right to refuse you, obviously.
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
lazyplague

Post by lazyplague »

I'll go for this sure. I may get a partner later on tho.
Gumpei
Spoken languages: English, Al Bhed

Post by Gumpei »

Put me in coach
Blackrune
Spoken languages: English, German, Japanese

Post by Blackrune »

Just sign me up I guess.
I want to see what I'd get.

...I technically really won't have much time to make a trial for this, but maybe I hope for some every-third-comp-magic.
Wackyman

Post by Wackyman »

Well this is...interesting.

I've been meaning to finally get back into trial making (I realize I've said this fifty times and never have but oh well if at first you don't succeed) so sign me up, I suppose.
HIROSHI-SAMA IS STILL THE GREATEST.
SS Sleuth and I are the same person.
gotMLK7 fashioned the Trama picture below out of female skulls.

[3/19/14 11:31:48 PM] Ultimate Butt-Rubber (Gumpei): on the other hand you could try playing with your balls submerged in icy water
[3/19/14 11:31:51 PM] Nick (Hodou): yeah I'm thinking that's the idea.

Check out my first trial co-created with Dypo_deLina Firing up the Turnabout!
Call me Wacky.

kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Also, probably won't be entering, but as usual, I'm always down for beta-ing people's entries.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Ferdielance

Post by Ferdielance »

I'm in, though it may not be a long case.

...come on, pigeon rule, pigeon rule, pigeon rule....
"A slow sort of country!" said the Queen. "Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"
Gumpei
Spoken languages: English, Al Bhed

Post by Gumpei »

MY THEME IS PERFECT YES LET'S EFFING DO THIS
Wackyman

Post by Wackyman »

MY THEME IS...

...Boring, but I might stick with it if I can think of something.
HIROSHI-SAMA IS STILL THE GREATEST.
SS Sleuth and I are the same person.
gotMLK7 fashioned the Trama picture below out of female skulls.

[3/19/14 11:31:48 PM] Ultimate Butt-Rubber (Gumpei): on the other hand you could try playing with your balls submerged in icy water
[3/19/14 11:31:51 PM] Nick (Hodou): yeah I'm thinking that's the idea.

Check out my first trial co-created with Dypo_deLina Firing up the Turnabout!
Call me Wacky.

Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

I'll join, but if I don't get a theme I think I can handle, I'm dropping. Though I'll drop regardless anyways. The only reason I'm doing this is the off-chance I get something interesting.

(and now that I've posted here I'll be bothered whenever someone else does too, goody.)
Holhol

Post by Holhol »

I never do anything ever but this is a cool concept so I'm in.
~Danielinhoni is the bestest friend anybody could ask for~

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬­▬▬▬

TKinhonipei is my soulmate ~<3

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Liquid Snake wrote:Snake, did you like my sunglasses?
gotMLK7
Spoken languages: English, learning French

Post by gotMLK7 »

I don't think I intend to join this comp solo, and I'm also not sure I want to go into a comp where I'd have no idea if I'd finish or not. If there's anyone interested in collaborating with me that feels confident in being able to have something finished, I'd be willing to help, mostly with aesthetics and such probably. I'm available for people who need help in the art department and I'd be willing to help with dialogue and stuff, just know that I'm not great with framing or writing mystery plots or the like.
Hersh/Fiendy has credit for the amazing GiGi pics and enigma has credit for the adorable Kenshin Mega Man sprite!