Roulette Rules

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Re: Roulette Rules

Post by kwando1313 »

Flashback between past and future.

Check and mate, good sir.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Reecer6
Spoken languages: English and, for the most part, Spanish

Post by Reecer6 »

I was thinking the case could do a MASON system-style thing, jumping between an event far in the past and far in the future to affect the outcome of both.
You know, time travel. Time travel is always cool.
In fact, that's it. That's the next compo's theme. Make a trial that is actually multiple trials that affect each other. Look, all I'm asking for is 20 Two Sides of the Same Turnabouts!
~~~Image~~~
I have a tumblr, check it out!
The Fury Wraith wrote:''Now I'm SERIOUS!''

Desmyrr grabs his LEMON!
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

...Let's stick to one trial that's really solid.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Post by enigma »

Allow me to cut down this hypothetical theme by revealing the logic error! While you escaped logic error with rules 9 and 10, you won't be able to escape this...

3. Amateur Sleuth (Write a case where the protagonist/PoV character is not related to the law/law enforcement)
34. The Other Bench (Play as the prosecutor!)

Ahahaha! Die the DEATH! Sentence to DEATH! The great equalizer is DEATH!
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Split the PoV between two characters - The past one can be the prosecutor, the future one is one who is merely re-examining what went wrong (like... A journalist, or someone like that).

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Reecer6

Post by Reecer6 »

That one's pretty easy. The protagonist is the acting prosecutor, but is not actually legally a prosecutor. Some dude just walked into a court one day and got confused with the working district attorney. Perhaps the twist is that you're their long lost twin.
~~~Image~~~

Desmyrr grabs his LEMON!
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

enigma wrote:Allow me to cut down this hypothetical theme by revealing the logic error! While you escaped logic error with rules 9 and 10, you won't be able to escape this...

3. Amateur Sleuth (Write a case where the protagonist/PoV character is not related to the law/law enforcement)
34. The Other Bench (Play as the prosecutor!)

Ahahaha! Die the DEATH! Sentence to DEATH! The great equalizer is DEATH!
...Prosecutor isn't related to law enforcement but got chosen out of a hat.

Though really, I think a simpler theme would be better.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Calvinball
Spoken languages: English

Post by Calvinball »

On a slightly more frivolous note, we made it to 20 pages!
The score is still Q to 12. Shirley Homes avatar by my Invisible Friend. They're an awesome artist!
ImageImage

A huge thanks to my Invisible Friend for this AMAZING Shirley Homes art!

Shirley Homes

Connie Harper
A big thanks to gotMLK7 for this Shirley Homes and Connie Harper art. He is an awesome artist!
enigma

Post by enigma »

Hm... Damn it being "Play as the prosecutor" instead of The Protagonist (especially since THE implies only one) is the prosecutor... But! Luckily, that leads me to another point!
kwando1313 wrote:Flashback between past and future.

Check and mate, good sir.
9. Blast From The Past (A case set at any point before the first chronological canon case)
10. Future Shock (A case set at any point after the last chronological canon case)

Since where THE case (singular) is set would be the time in it's framing device, the future would be the setting! Thus the logic error still stands!

And, for good measure...

4. Brave New World (Write a case set in a world/universe that isn't the AA one)

This contradicts 9 and 10, since how can it be set in the same chronology as the canon cases! Just because these rules exist, this reasoning is possible for Enigma! What do you think, everyone?

(I miss playing EN's very much in case you haven't noticed.)
Reecer6

Post by Reecer6 »

What I would like to see is a trial that has all that has been mentioned as well as 2. Groundhog’s Day (Make a case that either literally or metaphorically has history or time repeat).

Like, would time repeat in only one of the times we inhibit, or both?

To address the previous points:
  • Why does it have to be a flashback? You may literally be time travelling, or in some way physically entering both times. I mean, that's what they did in 4-4.
  • Time is a constant in all universes. So, a case set in 1980 and 2040 of a universe where Japanifornia never came to existence would still be technically before and after the cases that don't exist. They have a date, just no physical effect on this universe.
~~~Image~~~

Desmyrr grabs his LEMON!
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

@enigma:
27. A Matter of Time (Have to do with time in some way (Have to do with time travel, take place over a long span of time, set in the past/future, have a set TIME LIMIT, focus on a particularly important time in the crime... or just strongly factor in a watch~ Lotta options!))

Either could work.

Time travel might be the best option, because that means you can also jump between universes--meaning you can have a case take place in both AA canonverse and another universe, fulfilling 4.
clcman

Post by clcman »

calvinball wrote::objection:

clcman, there's a contradiction in your proposal! Tell me, how is a case supposed to obey both the prompt "Future Shock!" and "Blast From the Past!"? A case can't simultaneously take place before the first chronological case and after the last chronological case! It's impossible!

Your Honor, the defense rests.
Ha ha ha! *obnoxious finger wag* Did you even read the evidence? Prompts 2 (Groundhog’s Day), 21 (Nation of Imagination), AND 27 (A Matter of Time) all make resolving your alleged contradiction not only possible, but child's play!

Similarly, as Enthalpy pointed out, the apparent conflict between Prompt 3 and Prompt 34 is also not as solid as enigma claims.

As for Prompt 4, well, I once again cite Prompts 21 and 27. The protagonist is transported to a non-Ace Attorney world, perhaps?

Surely, the great minds of Ace Attorney Online can find a better contradiction than this!

EDIT: @calvinball: You're welcome.
What do REAL, NON-BRIBED people have to say about HTB!?
"This really changed the way I thought about Phoenix as a character. ...Wow." - Reecer6
"HTB! contains truths that might be hard to stomach, but had to be unveiled nonetheless." - Blackrune
"This deserves a best plot twist award." - Evo
"It changed my life, and it can change yours too. For the better, I mean." - Calvinball
"I will never look at Phoenix Wright the same way again" - PhoenixRises123
"omg best thing on aao" - AceAttorneyMaster111
DISCOVER THE TRUTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU DIDN'T KNOW IN HTB! PROLOGUE AND PART 1, AVAILABLE NOW!!

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -Isaac Asimov
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." -H. L. Mencken
enigma

Post by enigma »

Hmm.... I must admit, I don't see anymore clear logic errors standing out to me. Damn. I think I might have to concede the nonexistence of the logic error... Dang and blast...
Calvinball

Post by Calvinball »

I gotta say, guys, that was really awesome!

So, next competition theme confirmed? XP
The score is still Q to 12. Shirley Homes avatar by my Invisible Friend. They're an awesome artist!
ImageImage

A huge thanks to my Invisible Friend for this AMAZING Shirley Homes art!

Shirley Homes

Connie Harper
A big thanks to gotMLK7 for this Shirley Homes and Connie Harper art. He is an awesome artist!
RiksKing
Spoken languages: English, Dutch, Little bit German & French

Post by RiksKing »

enigma wrote:Hmm.... I must admit, I don't see anymore clear logic errors standing out to me. Damn. I think I might have to concede the nonexistence of the logic error... Dang and blast...
:holdit:
There's still one point left. Namely the fact that this is the description of the comp theme:
clcman wrote:The Ultimate Turnabout: Make a case that fits ALL 36 of the following themes in some form or another:
But what if this isn't the Ultimate Turnabout and lacks one thing? That's right! Look at prompt number 11:

11. Love is in the Air (A case featuring a love story or romance in some way)

And now at the prompt underneath it:

11. An Arkham Night (A case featuring atleast one character who is crazy or madness/insanity as a theme)

There are 2 prompts 11! Which means there are 37 prompts to make a trial about! The description doesn't fit this, so it's technically not the "Ultimate" Turnabout!
So many plottwists...
--Captivated by Persona 4--