I Don't Need to Explain That...: The Odd Premises Compo

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Evo
Spoken languages: Deutsch, English

Re: I Don't Need to Explain That...: The Odd Premises Compo

Post by Evo »

So, is anyone except for Rune and the CoS team sending something in?
Rune and I have already sent our entries and are getting kind of impatient, so if nobody else is entering maybe we could move the deadline forward?
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

also our team name is Team Apfelschorle

#totes

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Reecer6
Spoken languages: English and, for the most part, Spanish

Post by Reecer6 »

Actually, since I gained full rule over Rune's entry, CoS is now the only entry.

Yeah, the deadline is in about 8 hours, and I don't think anyone but you two have mentioned anything. But then again, starting judging less than a day earlier isn't all that notable in terms of how long you'll have to wait, so I'm leaning on the side of keeping the deadline the same, because we can't be sure we won't get like four last-minute entries.
~~~Image~~~
I have a tumblr, check it out!
The Fury Wraith wrote:''Now I'm SERIOUS!''

Desmyrr grabs his LEMON!
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

brb, entering my 12k frame trial of nothing

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Evo
Spoken languages: Deutsch, English

Post by Evo »

brb entering "DIE V6 DIE"
RiksKing
Spoken languages: English, Dutch, Little bit German & French

Post by RiksKing »

Just submitted!

The trial ended up being even less frames than I thought, sitting at about 600 frames total. While it's obviously not complete, planning it was tons of fun!

EDIT: If you'd provide a SoC I'd be grateful!
kwando1313 wrote:A few hours to go.

Are we going to see the all-German comp?
Can I qualify as maybe 50% German as a Dutchie?
--Captivated by Persona 4--
Blackrune
Spoken languages: English, German, Japanese

Post by Blackrune »

RiksKing wrote:Can I qualify as maybe 50% German as a Dutchie?
Sure.

Germans are the only productive people.
THE EVIDENCE IS CLEAR.

also I'm joining the comp and submitting my surprise entry, "burial part 3" (independent sequel)
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

rune pls, don't play with my heart like this

Reecer6

Post by Reecer6 »

Okay the comp ended.

*a disheartened french horn blows*

Our final entries are...!

Curiosity of a Turnabout by Blackrune
Circle of Suspects by Evo & Co.
Turnabout of the Gods by RiksKing & RinkksJS
Literally a real entry by Spyromed

One of these can't actually be considered a qualified entry. Which one it is is left as an exercise for the reader.
~~~Image~~~

Desmyrr grabs his LEMON!
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

i thought we were team apfelschrole wtf

clcman
Spoken languages: English

Post by clcman »

Reecer6 wrote:Okay the comp ended.

*a disheartened french horn blows*

Our final entries are...!

Curiosity of a Turnabout by Blackrune
Circle of Suspects by Evo & Co.
Turnabout of the Gods by RiksKing & RinkksJS
Literally a real entry by Spyromed
One of these can't actually be considered a qualified entry. Which one it is is left as an exercise for the reader.
A decent haul, I think. Not quite sure if it's big enough to justify my decision to not make the HTB! prequel case I legitimately considered making for this comp before deciding it would be too much art and a potentially sticky ethical situation, but whatever.
What do REAL, NON-BRIBED people have to say about HTB!?
"This really changed the way I thought about Phoenix as a character. ...Wow." - Reecer6
"HTB! contains truths that might be hard to stomach, but had to be unveiled nonetheless." - Blackrune
"This deserves a best plot twist award." - Evo
"It changed my life, and it can change yours too. For the better, I mean." - Calvinball
"I will never look at Phoenix Wright the same way again" - PhoenixRises123
"omg best thing on aao" - AceAttorneyMaster111
DISCOVER THE TRUTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU DIDN'T KNOW IN HTB! PROLOGUE AND PART 1, AVAILABLE NOW!!

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -Isaac Asimov
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." -H. L. Mencken
Reecer6

Post by Reecer6 »

Now it's time for reviews. This is more or less spoiler-free, but you still probably want to ignore it if you want to get the full experience yourself.
Circle of Suspects
Spoiler : Full review inside :
This game has Ace Attorney running through its veins.
The long-awaited, much-rejoiced Circle of Suspects (which is somehow the only case she's released that doesn't have any... goffic influences by my count, despite her seniority) is a very mechanically-ambitious investigations-em-up with some beautiful custom graphics and ESPECIALLY beautiful music. Seriously, Dio's work here is great. Please tutor me in how to be good at music. The general premise wouldn't be too different from any AAI game if there were any Ace Attorney characters in here at all: you're in a space ship, a murder happens, and then you look for clues, blow apart testimonies and arguments, and eventually find the killer. Obviously, though, since there's no court, the medium in which the AAO engine works really well, the game gets creative in how you interface with it, making it truly unique over other AAO cases.

Investigation, while not a full "walk the tiny lawyer around the room" system, is the next best thing. You are given a wide view of a room, with people standing all about it, and arrows floating about so you can move from room to room. You can click on any of these to look at something, talk to someone, or leave immediately to take another look at the plant in the hallway. This doesn't sound too riveting now, but I'd like to appreciate the effort in rendering the entire spaceship for each and every segment that you get to freely roam it, each with different dialogue (as far as I noticed.) And even more than that is the fact that, unlike what rarely happens in the Ace Attorney games, the things you present to characters are actually relevant. There are tons of present dialogues, and some of them even give you new information. It really feels like you're actually interrogating actual witnesses who are people.

The testimonies themselves are different, making them more akin to a Dangan Ronpian endless debate. In that, they don't end. People will talk, and then you, playing as Riley Kline (I haven't mentioned the protagonist once yet. That's you. You're Riley Kline. Investigator-in-training.) can interrupt them mid-thought, holding it up, and bring up any one of three (3) points! The argument can change dynamically as you bring up points too, which allows it to feel more like a conversation than some person repeating what they said half an hour ago endlessly.

It's important to note that Circle of Suspects is intended to be only the first part of a longer game, so if you're coming to find a perfectly tied up and encapsulated story detailing the rise and fall of space, you're not going to get it. Anytime soon, at least. As a result, the only person who really permanently changes over the length of the game is Riley herself, and a couple of the other characters hardly have a chance to shine outside of their 2D outline. But that's all understandable, and everything outside of that is very well put together. I can't get too much in the specifics of it, but Riley's difficulties are very well portrayed and situate you right in her head, and the actual murder is interesting and progresses as any good investigation should—seeming daunting and impossible by the start, but as you systematically proceed through your logic, it becomes very elucidated. By the end, you've probably suspected at least everyone once for some good reason.

The puzzles? They're great. Personally, I didn't have a problem with the logic behind a single one, and while they can be fuzzy at times, the entire range of that 'fuzz' is covered by the variety of ways you can get to the same solution. Better yet, as the game goes on, the testimonies are balanced to get harder and harder to find the solution, which isn't the easiest thing when planning out an entire murder investigation. While you may get stuck at points, I promise you won't be getting frustrated.

Now, in terms of theme relevance, you'd expect a case that takes place on a spaceship with aliens to have a number of very space-specific contradictions. But surprisingly, it doesn't come up THAT often? The fact that there are different alien species on board the ship who have different abilities is relevant every now and then, but for the most part, the entire plot could still work if it happened in some secure Earthen facility. But I can let it pass, considering this is more of a thing Evo realized she could probably fit under the comp theme than a total full-hearted competition entry. We'll have to live with it, only having three entries. The immersion aspect is admittedly dampered with your main introduction into it being a flat-out textbook, only somewhat reinforced in dialogue before you have to actually use the information. I mean, the main character herself has trouble actually getting it straight. That has to say something.

ALSO LET ME REITERATE: THE GAME LOOKS SUPER GOOD. GREAT MUSIC. GREAT ART. GREAT EVERYTHING. You thought the Normal Turnabout, that brilliant entry from earlier this year, looked good? YOU HAVEN'T SEEN NOTHING.

So, points!

Story - 19/20
Puzzles - 20/20
Immersion - 12/20
Theme Relevance - 10/20
Presentation - 20/20

TOTAL - 81/100
Note: final scores may or may not have any relevance on who actually wins.
~~~Image~~~

Desmyrr grabs his LEMON!
clcman
Spoken languages: English

Post by clcman »

Is it just me, or have things gotten concerningly quiet around here?
What do REAL, NON-BRIBED people have to say about HTB!?
"This really changed the way I thought about Phoenix as a character. ...Wow." - Reecer6
"HTB! contains truths that might be hard to stomach, but had to be unveiled nonetheless." - Blackrune
"This deserves a best plot twist award." - Evo
"It changed my life, and it can change yours too. For the better, I mean." - Calvinball
"I will never look at Phoenix Wright the same way again" - PhoenixRises123
"omg best thing on aao" - AceAttorneyMaster111
DISCOVER THE TRUTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU DIDN'T KNOW IN HTB! PROLOGUE AND PART 1, AVAILABLE NOW!!

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -Isaac Asimov
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." -H. L. Mencken
Blackrune
Spoken languages: English, German, Japanese

Post by Blackrune »

Classic competition judging process.
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

We were quick with our judging.

It just took some time to declare our judging.