I Don't Need to Explain That...: The Odd Premises Compo

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Reecer6
Spoken languages: English and, for the most part, Spanish

I Don't Need to Explain That...: The Odd Premises Compo

Post by Reecer6 »

I Don't Need to Explain That...
The Odd Premises Compo
Unlike some members of our community who keep making this website to be, like, Ace Anything Online or something, I believe that the cases and such in Ace Attorney are very important structures that allow for surprisingly large amounts of flexibility in a story. I mean, I hope. But the real problem is that every Ace Attorney case happens in modern day Japan. Even between so many different locations, so many facts of each case stay constant. I'm tired of the writers continually recycling tropes like "There is a written language" and "Gravity is 4.9 m/s^2" and "Humans aren't immortal."

You can fix all of this.

Task:

Create a case where there are entirely different fundamental assumptions about the story's world (as opposed to an average Ace Attorney game), which factor into the plot.

Don't understand? Well, look at some examples of what you could do.
  • A case where everyone is a robot, as pictured above.
  • A case where magic is totally real.
  • A case where everyone's a spirit channeler, and it's used heavily throughout the scenario.
  • A case where humans can just fly.
  • A case that takes place in space.
  • A case that takes place in the past with much less forensic evidence.
  • A case that takes place in the future with much more forensic evidence.
The opportunities are numerous. As a canon example, I'll point to Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney - its fundamental assumptions were that witches exist, they use magic in this one concrete way, and they have all these listed spells to their disposal. It's basically perfect for this sort of concept.

Another example would be Dai Gyakuten Saiban, falling into the second to last category. Since it took place in the 19th century, Ryuunosuke didn't have a single fingerprint analysis or bottle of luminol to work with. The fact that these killers didn't have to work around limitations like those fundamentally changed the cases in his universe.

The changes can range from "The murder took place on a moving train" to "There is a fourth spatial dimension - and time travel as well." Be aware, however, that more trivial changes will be scrutinized, as they can easily totally lose the spirit of the compo. Just make sure that what makes your case's situation unique affects the plot heavily.

Trials will be judged on these categories:

Story - Well, duh. It's the most important feature of cases! ...To most people, anyway. This will be judged without taking the theme into consideration.
Puzzles - Clearly the ACTUAL most important feature of cases. Puzzles will not only be judged on fairness and difficulty and such, but also if they incorporate the theme to the same extent as the rest of the plot. Yes, you do need some.
Immersion - This will be based on how well the player is introduced to your case's differences, and how well you make the player familiar with it.
Theme Relevance - Just HOW much does what you changed actually change things, in terms of the plot?
Presentation - Spelling errors, editor errors, badly structured investigations - all the non-conceptual, superficial stuff.

When you join, I'll make you into a PLvAA spell crystal thing! It's like Steven Universe but objectively better in every way.

Conditions:
  • The entry must have been created between January 22nd and April 22nd.
  • The entry must be differentiated from an average Ace Attorney case by its fundamental premise.
  • The entry may be any kind of case. Good luck winning with these criterion if you're going for comedy, though. Maybe you can do it. Maybe.
  • The entry must not spoil the story of Dai Gyakuten Saiban, but may spoil any other currently released game.
  • The entry should be submitted regardless of being completed or not, but completed ones are preferred. Just, submit, please. Everyone wants to see it.
  • The entry must be submitted to Reecer6 by the deadline
  • The entry must be sent along with a walkthrough that includes every potentially difficult puzzle.
  • The entry must not be showcased until the judge has posted your review.
Deadline:

All entries must be declared and submitted to Reecer6 by May 13th, 2016 at 11:59 PM CDT.

Entrants:

Image Trybien - [Speeding Spell] - Causes a target to ram into whatever is front of them without stopping.
Image RiksKing & RinkksJS - [Typo Spell] - The person or object who the witch is touching with their staff grows a mustache instantly. Its companion spell, believed to exist, has never actually been witnessed.
Image Judicator - [??? Spell] - Reports of this spell are recent and are not consistent. Research is still being done on just what it may entail.
Image Spyromed - [Convalescence Spell] - Heals the target (or if none, the witch herself) of all their diseases.
Image Blackrune - [Hellish Spell] - Transports the witch to the next highest (or, failing that, the very lowest) floor of the structure she's in.
Image Sleuth - [Sleuth Spell] - find a thing
Image Evo (Kwando too) - [Hiatus Spell] - Whatever is in contact with the Talea Magica disappears for two months, and reappears in its place, conscious of the lost time.

Dropouts:

Hessehl - probably got that pear i drew for his spell gem thrown at him. pears are dangerous.
Last edited by Reecer6 on Fri May 13, 2016 12:27 am, edited 31 times in total.
~~~Image~~~
I have a tumblr, check it out!
The Fury Wraith wrote:''Now I'm SERIOUS!''

Desmyrr grabs his LEMON!
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Re: I Don't Need to Explain That...: The Odd Premises Compo

Post by kwando1313 »

Neat idea!

Good luck to everyone involved~

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Trybien
Spoken languages: English

Post by Trybien »

I am so in. I know exactly how I want to handle this :chew:
Winner of the “Broken Commandments” Case Competition
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

Reecer6 wrote:The entry must not spoil Dai Gyakuten Saiban, but may spoil any other currently released game.
perfect use of emphasis
PhoenixRises123

Post by PhoenixRises123 »

Ha! I called the comp's theme last thread, I win, what do I win? :nod:
Looking good so far, by the way...
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

Must resist temptation to make Turnabout of the Golden Witch (as if I have time or the skills to build off the original canon).
Image Image Image
RiksKing
Spoken languages: English, Dutch, Little bit German & French

Post by RiksKing »

Now this is an interesting one.

Me and RinkkJS are in!
--Captivated by Persona 4--
SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

The fundamental rules and laws of my entry are simple.

in this world, it's kill or be killed
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
AceAttorneyMaster111
Spoken languages: English, français, un poco de español, עברית

Post by AceAttorneyMaster111 »

TheDoctor wrote:(as if I have time or the skills to build off the original canon).
Isn't that what you're already doing?
lazyplague

Post by lazyplague »

I say this like, every time, but I'll give it a shot. Maybe sticking more to AA's base style while messing with it will give more more willingness to do it.
AceAttorneyMaster111
Spoken languages: English, français, un poco de español, עברית

Post by AceAttorneyMaster111 »

Reecer6 wrote: When you join, I'll make you into a PLvAA spell crystal thing! It's like Steven Universe but objectively better in every way.
What happens when we drop out? :chew:
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

AceAttorneyMaster111 wrote:What happens when we drop out? :chew:
You drop out in real life.

Anyways, I have an idea to for this, but I'll see about joining. Maybe after I'm all done with my current work.
Reecer6
Spoken languages: English and, for the most part, Spanish

Post by Reecer6 »

AceAttorneyMaster111 wrote:What happens when we drop out? :chew:
I remove that spell, and you get a biting remark about how horrible a person you are.

Aaaand I will never show you the full, 200px by 200px image of your little crystal thing.
~~~Image~~~
I have a tumblr, check it out!
The Fury Wraith wrote:''Now I'm SERIOUS!''

Desmyrr grabs his LEMON!
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

AceAttorneyMaster111 wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:(as if I have time or the skills to build off the original canon).
Isn't that what you're already doing?
Ha ha, good catch there. True, I did use the original Ace Attorney canon as a base for Shattered Glass, but Umineko is a different story. Regardless of my feelings on how it should have ended, I feel any of my attempts to make a hypothetical 9th episode would be inadequate and a disservice to the original canon.

But who knows, maybe I could come up with something fitting and get it done in time for the contest, but between work and school, I kind of doubt it.

EDIT: And wouldn't you know it, I have an idea now. Don't know that I'll have time to pull it off though.
Image Image Image
SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

i was gonna make an undertale entry for real but now im dropping out

wheres my biting remark
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage