Method in the Madness

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Gizmological
Spoken languages: English

Method in the Madness

Post by Gizmological »

Method in the Madness

The Ace Attorney series has shown us some very complex and creative murder methods over the years. Falling statues, poison stamps, elaborate cover ups. But what if we were to make things even weirder? More convoluted? Just straight up insane? How far can we possibly push this incredibly morbid envelope?

This is your task. Make a case where the method used to commit the crime is as ridiculous, weird or convoluted as you can possibly make it.

I'm talking full on psychotic. To the point where I'm actually scared about the author's mental well-being. This doesn't necessarily need to be a murder either, it can be a theft, assault or whatever else you can come up with. Also, it doesn't actually need to be the act of committing the crime that's the crazy part. Your case could just involve a complicated cover-up of the crime. Whatever it is, just make sure that it's insane.

Judging

Plot - Does the game have an engaging, interesting and entertaining story? Are the characters well written and interesting?
Presentation - Are there an excessive number of spelling or grammatical errors? Are there any bugs? Are graphics and music used appropriately?
Gameplay - Is the gameplay fair? Is it enjoyable? Are your puzzles logical and do they feel rewarding to solve?
Theme relevance - Did you stick to the theme? How well were you able to execute it?

Once all entries have been seen, I will announce the winner alongside a short, spoiler-free, review for each case.

Rules

The entry...

Must have been created between May 1st 2017 and August 1st 2017
Must involve a crime that was committed (or at least appears to have been committed) through an unusual or complex method.
May be a trial, investigation, comedy or something else.
May be unrelated to the Ace Attorney series. Gameplay is optional.
May be incomplete when submitted.
Must not spoil the DGS (The Great Ace Attorney) games. Spoilers for GK2, SoJ and other AA games are fine.
Must not be set to public before the winner is announced.
Must be submitted with a full walkthrough for the game, including the solutions to every puzzle.
Must be submitted to Gizmological by the deadline.
May be a rewrite of a previous case if it follows the case competition rules.

Deadline

Your game must be submitted to Gizmological via PM before August 1st 2017 23:59 GMT +0.

Entrants

Declaro & Tiagofvarela
clcman & SwagmaWampyr
Calvinball
MegaFan
OrderOfTheNick
Last edited by Gizmological on Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:34 pm, edited 7 times in total.
TheDoctor

Re: Method in the Madness

Post by TheDoctor »

Darn it. The one I had in mind for a prompt like this won't work with Shattered Glass in its current state. Oh, well. Best of luck to everyone!
Image Image Image
Blizdi

Post by Blizdi »

Hah! This is one of the best comp ideas I can think of. We need more Peppers in our life <3
Blackrune
Spoken languages: English, German, Japanese

Post by Blackrune »

Well now I'm tempted.
clcman

Post by clcman »

Blackrune wrote:Well now I'm tempted.
If ever a comp screamed "Rune, please do me!," it would be this one.
What do REAL, NON-BRIBED people have to say about HTB!?
"This really changed the way I thought about Phoenix as a character. ...Wow." - Reecer6
"HTB! contains truths that might be hard to stomach, but had to be unveiled nonetheless." - Blackrune
"This deserves a best plot twist award." - Evo
"It changed my life, and it can change yours too. For the better, I mean." - Calvinball
"I will never look at Phoenix Wright the same way again" - PhoenixRises123
"omg best thing on aao" - AceAttorneyMaster111
DISCOVER THE TRUTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU DIDN'T KNOW IN HTB! PROLOGUE AND PART 1, AVAILABLE NOW!!

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -Isaac Asimov
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." -H. L. Mencken
Tiagofvarela
Spoken languages: English, Portuguese

Post by Tiagofvarela »

I'm entirely available to collaborate for this competition.
Otherwise I'll see if I can so much as come up with a case by myself. Creating a mystery has never been my forte.
A Laggy Turnabout ★
A Batty Turnabout ★
A Tricky Turnabout ★
Upcoming: A Worldly Turnabout, A Courtly Turnabout, A Clumsy Turnabout, A Needy Turnabout
Reverie

Post by Reverie »

clcman wrote:Rune, please do me!
orly
______

Good luck to the entrants. This is a really awesome theme already.
Last edited by Reverie on Wed May 03, 2017 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

Ooh, an enticing theme, but I have other things to do before I join a competition again.

Good luck to the entrants!
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

nice comp theme

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Gizmological

Post by Gizmological »

Blackrune wrote:Well now I'm tempted.
Excellent. Give in to your temptations. It's the only healthy thing to do.
Tiagofvarela wrote:I'm entirely available to collaborate for this competition.
Otherwise I'll see if I can so much as come up with a case by myself. Creating a mystery has never been my forte.
I'll mentally list you down as a "maybe," then? No pressure, though. (Wait a minute...)

Spyromed wrote:
clcman wrote:Rune, please do me!
orly
I want you to know that I was considering saying something about that, but I was able to exhibit just a shred of self-restraint. So thanks for crossing that line for me.

Anyway, I'm glad that everyone likes the theme. I'm kind of upset about the fact that I don't have a catchphrase to sign off with like last comp, though. I'm open to suggestions.
Declaro

Post by Declaro »

I have an idea that I think could work, so sign me up.

Also, if you want a catchphrase, couldn't "Give in to the madness" or something work?
Gizmological

Post by Gizmological »

Sinister... I like it.

Anyway, congrats on being the first entrant. Not that it earns you any special favour or anything, but still.
FenrirDarkWolf

Post by FenrirDarkWolf »

Maybe I could actually do this...
AKABuddyFaithAKADiego
Spoiler : Wanted to use these as avatars, but it wouldn't let me. They're by Nibroc-Rock :
Gizmological

Post by Gizmological »

Awesome. Do you want me to list you down as an entrant now or are you still thinking about it?
FenrirDarkWolf

Post by FenrirDarkWolf »

Gizmological wrote:Awesome. Do you want me to list you down as an entrant now or are you still thinking about it?
Not yet, finals JUST ended and I may be getting a job soon, so I want to get my affairs in order.
AKABuddyFaithAKADiego
Spoiler : Wanted to use these as avatars, but it wouldn't let me. They're by Nibroc-Rock :