Keeping it Simple

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Southern Corn
Spoken languages: English, Bad Jokes

Re: Keeping it Simple

Post by Southern Corn »

Tiagofvarela wrote:In light of
I shall find the courage to attempt to submit.
Nice! Now that's one way to coerce people that I'd never even considered. :calisto:

...Maybe I should even make that a penalty for everyone who doesn't submit by the deadline, just in case.
drvonkitty
Spoken languages: English

Post by drvonkitty »

I'm available to playtest on short notice if anyone needs a last minute tester!

Southern Corn

Post by Southern Corn »

Posting here to say Tiago's sent in his entry too! That only leaves three other people, and the deadline is soon approaching, so please send in your entry as soon as you can!

Edit: SL has sent in his entry too!
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

Three entries so far is good! Here's hoping for even more!
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
cesar26100
Spoken languages: English-Ingles,Español-Spanish

Post by cesar26100 »

And bigwins sent his a few minutes ago, so that's 4 entries by the deadline! If anyone else is planning on sending something they might have some time before SC notices this exists or something, but for now it seems like all that's left is to wait for the reviews soon™!
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥
Love should be genderless.
If you agree, please add this to your signature.
Southern Corn

Post by Southern Corn »

That still leaves AwesomeYears, though. I suppose we’ll give them some more time but if they don’t submit by the end of today, I suppose they’ll have to be excluded entirely.
bigwins

Post by bigwins »

ooooooh yeah bb

Feels good to submit before the deadline, even though it was... not at all very long before the deadline
Southern Corn

Post by Southern Corn »

So, er, unfortunately AwesomeYears hasn't submitted yet, so I sadly have to strike them off the list of entrants for now (especially since I need to sleep in a bit, and they haven't been on in 10 days). But now, I suppose we have to start writing the reviews for each case! They will go in this order-
Spoiler : :
  1. 1.Turnabout Tennis by AceJakkidFan
  • 2.A Clumsy Turnabout by Tiagofvarela
  • 3.The Artist's Turnabout by Super legenda
  • 4.For Turnabouts Past by bigwins
Reviews will be posted in alternating order. First me, then Cesar, and so on. They'll probably come...in a weekly basis. Apologies for being so slow, but this is sort of a hectic month for us. I'll try to do my best, though! Anyway, right after that will be the epic awards ceremony so look forward to that!
Last edited by Southern Corn on Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Spoiler : About that awards ceremony... :
Case Competition Rules wrote:Awards ceremonies taking more than a week to write are strongly discouraged. Enforcement will be especially strict if users cannot showcase until after results.
Keeping it Simple Rules wrote:The entry must not be publicly showcased until the judging period is over and the winner is announced.
Be forewarned that the strict enforcement rule will be in effect.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Southern Corn

Post by Southern Corn »

Oh, sure, Enth! We'll try to write the awards ceremony as we write the reviews so we won't take long. That much, I can promise!

And if we fail to write a full one in time, we can just do the same as last comp and make it extremely barebones, so no worries there! :)
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Sounds good. Looking forward to the reviews!
Tiagofvarela
Spoken languages: English, Portuguese

Post by Tiagofvarela »

Southern Corn wrote:So, er, unfortunately AwesomeYears hasn't submitted yet, so I sadly have to strike them off the list of entrants for now (especially since I need to sleep in a bit, and they haven't been on in 10 days). But now, I suppose we have to start writing the reviews for each case! They will go in this order-
Spoiler : :
  1. 1.Turnabout Tennis by AceJakkidFan
  • 2.A Tricky Turnabout by Tiagofvarela
  • 3.The Artist's Turnabout by Super legenda
  • 4.Of Turnabouts Past by bigwins
Reviews will be posted in alternating order. First me, then Cesar, and so on. They'll probably come...in a weekly basis. Apologies for being so slow, but this is sort of a hectic month for us. I'll try to do my best, though! Anyway, right after that will be the epic awards ceremony so look forward to that!
I have just now realised I may have failed to include the name of my entry anywhere that isn't the trial itself. As a result, perhaps, you have gotten the name of my entry wrong. It is actually 'A Clumsy Turnabout'.
Thank you.

On the other hand, if you are so insistent on accepting my already publicly released trial, feel free, at your own peril for breaking the rules. I believe it to be a better trial, even if not at all theme relevant.
A Laggy Turnabout ★
A Batty Turnabout ★
A Tricky Turnabout ★
Upcoming: A Worldly Turnabout, A Courtly Turnabout, A Clumsy Turnabout, A Needy Turnabout
Southern Corn

Post by Southern Corn »

Oh, whoops XD My bad there. I guess you could say it was a bit... Clumsy of me, eh?

Also, I just realised we're talking about writing up the reviews here when we still haven't played any of the cases besides Turnabout Tennis. Whoops. Regardless, the reviews will still start coming in on a weekly basis. I already promised Enth not to take too long and I'll die abiding to that promise! ...Hopefully not literally.
drvonkitty

Post by drvonkitty »

Good luck to all entrants!

Southern Corn

Post by Southern Corn »

Alright, first review time! Let's get this one out early, at least. It's time for...
Spoiler : Turnabout Tennis by AceJakkidFan :
And roll credits.

Premise: Turnabout Tennis is a short simple case about a murder which occurs right during the semifinals of a tennis tournament, and Phoenix Wright is assigned as the lawyer of this case. With his epic long-time rival Winston Payne returning to crush him in court and an uncooperative defendant, will Phoenix be able to get to the bottom of this case or will he just cause a... racket?

Okay, bad jokes aside, let's get to the review bit. Starting with the...

Story- The case itself is rather clear-cut. The story itself isn't anything to write home about but it works well for what it is and even has a few interesting twists and turns. This works particularly well for a tutorial case, which is what it's meant to be. The trial itself is well paced and easy to follow and the case logic itself, while it starts off easily enough (with the first three testimonies or so being pretty much a cakewalk), gradually gets more difficult as the case goes on and does get more interesting in terms of contradiction design (which will be addressed later on). I solved most of the case without actually needing to consult the walkthrough, though, so it's a fairly standard affair here. The writing is fine as well.

Presentation- This really isn't the type of case you would expect too much of a need for custom graphics, but AceJakkidFan really went all out on this. Putting in the proper fades, making a custom intro, making the maps and other custom scenes and even making one of the character's sprites all by himself. It's certainly a commendable effort and adds a lot to the experience, so kudos on that. There was one drawing which confused me my first time through, but I think it's mostly just a misinterpretation I had. In terms of other stuff, the dialogue is pretty well written, I only spotted one or two typos in total. There are a few timing errors here and there but they'll be fixed before the case releases, so there's not much to worry about. A few frames which could have used some sound effects, though. Music is mostly just from JfA but it fits the tone of the case pretty well.

Puzzles- As mentioned above, the puzzles are good. Testimony design is strong and it keeps you on your toes. The evidence is also used cleverly enough in multiple different ways, and they're pretty much used to their full potential there. And while the puzzles can get a little tricky towards the end, it's not to any insane degree and they're still mostly solvable with a good deal of thought.

Theme Relevance- As has been established, this case adheres to the theme quite well. There's only about 6-7 pieces of evidence in total, and only 2 actual witnesses. The evidence is used well enough and each piece gets its own use in its own time. So, obviously, this gets a pass in theme relevance!

Overall- Turnabout Tennis is a simple case which is short and sweet. I can easily see it working as a good canon tutorial case. It has good trial flow, an interesting setup, and a generally strong mystery with some unique gameplay extremely befitting of this comp. It's definitely worth playing and I recommend checking it out once it releases, especially since it's already complete. This Turnabout Tennis is more like a Turnabout Elevenis, if you ask me! ...Heheh.
Anyway, that's that review done with! Next time, we'll be having Cesar26100 here to review A Clumsy Turnabout! See you then, whenever that is! Hopefully it won't be too long.