Butterfly Effect

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

DJJ6800
Spoken languages: English

Re: Butterfly Effect

Post by DJJ6800 »

I can confirm that we've received ikuzonos's entry!
MasqueradeDemure

Post by MasqueradeDemure »

Should be able to get our entry in soon, maybe tonight? Though I might put it off til tomorrow morning so I can put some more pointless fluff dialogue in. (None of the witnesses have responses to the attorney's badge right now and it physically hurts me.)
Last edited by MasqueradeDemure on Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Awsome2464

Post by Awsome2464 »

MasqueradeDemure wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:14 am (None of the witnesses have response to the attorney's badge right now and it physically hurts me.)
Literally unplayable.
Image Image
SuperAj3
Spoken languages: English, 日本語(少しだけ)

Post by SuperAj3 »

I can't say Tiag and I have got much to show, but I'll add the hosts as playtesters and share the link after work today!
ImageImageImageImage
Avatar from the TSub website :april:
Awsome2464

Post by Awsome2464 »

I have received SuperAj3 and Tiagofvarela's entry, as well as BrushApocalypse and MasqueradeDemure's entry.
Image Image
drvonkitty

Post by drvonkitty »

Our entry has been submitted! Good luck to everyone!!

Tiagofvarela
Spoken languages: English, Portuguese

Post by Tiagofvarela »

I blame the big thing that's happened for my disgusting workload stopping me from progressing with the trial. So, uh, as Aj3 has said our entry is quite not complete.
But, well, good luck for everyone else.
A Laggy Turnabout ★
A Batty Turnabout ★
A Tricky Turnabout ★
Upcoming: A Worldly Turnabout, A Courtly Turnabout, A Clumsy Turnabout, A Needy Turnabout
Bannedfrom7

Post by Bannedfrom7 »

I’ll settle up on polishing what I already have. I’ll submit it soon once everything is all clean!
I am Banned
RiverCastle
Spoken languages: English, Portuguese

Post by RiverCastle »

This pains me because I'm not too far off from getting everything flowing, but I ultimately had more work at uni than I expected, and I had to choose that over the project. Congratulations to everyone who completed it, I look forward to playing those cases, and I should release mine some time in the future.
DJJ6800

Post by DJJ6800 »

I can confirm that we've received all the entries. We'll each release our own separate reviews for the cases and then release the awards ceremony.
DJJ6800

Post by DJJ6800 »

"Paint Ghosts Over Everything" by ikuzonos

Review:
Spoiler : :
Trust me. I didn't think I'd hear her say that either.

Synopsis: The main change in this story is "What if Kristoph adopted Trucy after State v. Enigmar?"

Story: The story takes place between present day and flashbacks, though primarily with the latter. It's basically a redo of Apollo Justice, Case 1, except with Kristoph as the defendant instead of Phoenix. The present day scenes focus on Apollo and Trucy speaking to Kristoph via spirit channeling. Some noticeable changes come with this new universe, such as the aforementioned Kristoph being Trucy's adopted father, Kristoph being the defendant, Franziska prosecuting instead of Payne, and the relationships between some of the characters being explored in a new light.

Presentation: There are some custom backgrounds and sprites used for some of the characters. They all worked well and I didn't come across any noticeable problems with them, nor did I come across any major glitches. I especially liked the adult Pearl sprites.

Gameplay: Standard Ace Attorney gameplay, but with a unique twist considering who the defendant is. The logic flowed well and I wasn't particularly stumped on any questions. The game itself isn't that long, and it shouldn't take more than an hour or so to complete it.

Theme Relevance: This, in my opinion, is both the strength and the weakness of this case. The change in the timeline is an engaging one to be sure. And it's not exactly something people usually think of when they think "Ace Attorney AUs," like the JFA bad end. It brings up some interesting plot points but at the same time, I feel the case doesn't go far enough with exploring this new universe and why things are the way they are. For instance, there's Maya being dead, Pearl being the new Kurain Master, and Kristoph even trying to kill Trucy. But aside from a few sentences here and there, we don't have a lot of time devoted to them. Heck, they could almost be written out entirely and the story wouldn't change much. Still, for what we got, I was invested with this universe.

Overall: "Paint Ghosts Over Everything" is a neat little case that explores an interesting AU and interprets characters in a different light than what we're accustomed to seeing. But what's preventing me from giving this a glowing endorsement is the lack of depth to the world itself and the ideas given. If there's ever a follow up to this case, I'd like to see more details and more exploration into this world. Because this is a very interesting setup. Good job either way.
Next up is "Passport? Check. Turnabout? Check," by SuperAj3 and Tiagofverla!
clcman

Post by clcman »

How many entries did we end up with?
What do REAL, NON-BRIBED people have to say about HTB!?
"This really changed the way I thought about Phoenix as a character. ...Wow." - Reecer6
"HTB! contains truths that might be hard to stomach, but had to be unveiled nonetheless." - Blackrune
"This deserves a best plot twist award." - Evo
"It changed my life, and it can change yours too. For the better, I mean." - Calvinball
"I will never look at Phoenix Wright the same way again" - PhoenixRises123
"omg best thing on aao" - AceAttorneyMaster111
DISCOVER THE TRUTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU DIDN'T KNOW IN HTB! PROLOGUE AND PART 1, AVAILABLE NOW!!

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -Isaac Asimov
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." -H. L. Mencken
DJJ6800

Post by DJJ6800 »

We ended up with five total entries. Now for the second review of "Passport? Check. Turnabout? Check," by SuperAj3 and Tiagofverla.
Which I'd like to point out is the first case by Tiagofverla that isn't titled "A ___ly Turnabout." Points for title variety.

I'm both excited and afraid about this development.

Synopsis: The change in this universe is "What if Athena went to Khura'in instead of Phoenix?"

Story: Athena has arrived in Khura'in and is immediately accused of theft. Seems that the WAA can't catch a break in anything. Then again, what did you expect with these guys? Anyway, it's up to Maya to find the clues to prove her innocent and find the real culprit. But how difficult would that be in attorney-hostile Khura'in? As for how I enjoyed the story, well...there wasn't a lot to enjoy, as there's not that much there. Still, it is intriguing enough to want to see more of. Especially coming from these two veteran casemakers.

Presentation: For what little this entry has, there are some nice custom backgrounds and sprites. I especially liked the custom sprites of...*sigh* Fulai Tatendh'ant (I swear these name puns...) which, as far as I know, haven't been used in another case. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though.

Gameplay: Not much to say here. Only a few parts of an investigation are shown. Nothing groundbreaking but it works well enough for what little we have.

Theme Relevance: One thing that I like is that we immediately see the initial impact of the change in the timeline from the get go. While it's hard to see the long term impact from a short entry, what we have is solid enough to keep me hooked on this universe and what it has to offer.

Overall: "Passport? Check. Turnabout? Check," while short, piqued my interest and makes me interested to see more of this universe. I'd love to see the finished product unless they pull a clcman. Good job.
Next up, we have "The Toxic Turnabout" by MasqueradeDemure and BrushApocalypse.
Awsome2464

Post by Awsome2464 »

Paint Ghosts Over Everything by izukonos

What if Trucy was adopted by Kristoph Gavin instead of Phoenix Wright?

Synopsis: While Apollo Justice and Trucy Gavin go to Kurain Village to channel her father, we alternate to a flashback where Kristoph is the defendant in Turnabout Trump.

Story: The story is definitely a bit on the shorter side, all things considered, but that's definitely not a bad thing. The opening was very well executed, slowly feeding and teasing the reader information as to what's going on in this world. But the flashback, which is the main story, is essentially a complete retelling of Turnabout Trump, only the true culprit is the defendant. It doesn't fall into plagiarism by any means, but I do feel like there was room to try and shake things up a bit. I'll go into further detail during the "Theme Relevance" section, but the parts of the story that ARE relevant to the idea of a Trucy Gavin feel a bit... vague? We see flashbacks of Apollo seeing her a few times in various locations, yet we only see it happen once in-game. It almost feels like there's an entire part of this case that we missed. But without spoiling, I do appreciate the subtlety of the final flashback's ending and the answer it brings to a question that I had since the beginning. Overall, a pretty good story that left me asking a few questions, but definitely engaging.

Presentation: Looked and felt like an Ace Attorney case. The custom Pearl sprites were a phenomenal choice (and actually makes her look like an adult and not a tall child), and while the Gavin Law Offices background had a bigger resolution than 4:3 and made for a taller Examine window, it still felt like a background that would exist in Ace Attorney. I do have a minor nitpick, though, with the date/location box saying "Three Years Ago" every time. Unless stated otherwise that we're back in the present, the reader can infer that we're still in the past. Again, just a minor nitpick, but something to keep in mind should you write something like this again.

Gameplay: It had your standard Investigation and Trial that you'd expect from Ace Attorney. Though a slight change during cross-examinations was when pressing certain statements, you could pick which part of the statement you wanted more information on, which could either provide more information or lead to nothing. While nothing ground-breaking, it was still a pretty interesting addition that actually made the player think a bit more.

Theme Relevance: This is the part where I'm actually a bit torn. While Kristoph adopting Trucy is meant to be the change that triggers the Butterfly Effect, it doesn't really feel like it was utilized to its potential. It does make sense how Kristoph adopting Trucy would lead to him being the one to see Shadi Smith at the Borscht Bowl Club years later, but I feel like Trucy still being the exact same witty and optimistic girl despite having a different father is a bit unrealistic, especially one like Kristoph. Granted, she is a bit more serious in this case, mainly when talking to and about Kristoph, but she's basically the original character when she's speaking to Apollo. I would imagine there being some sort of larger difference in personality. That all said, since the focus of the case is on Gavin's trial, it was, as stated in the "Story" section, pretty good. Again, it's logical how Gavin would've been in that situation after being the one to adopt Trucy, and it's not an exact clone of the original case, even with that change.

Final Thoughts: "Paint Ghosts Over Everything" was a pretty good case. It had things I enjoyed and things I felt like could've been improved. But you most absolutely should be proud of yourself, izukonos, and I encourage everyone give it a playthrough should they publish it.
Image Image
SuperAj3
Spoken languages: English, 日本語(少しだけ)

Post by SuperAj3 »

DJJ6800 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:21 pm We ended up with five total entries. Now for the second review of "Passport? Check. Turnabout? Check," by SuperAj3 and Tiagofverla.
Which I'd like to point out is the first case by Tiagofverla that isn't titled "A ___ly Turnabout." Points for title variety.

I'm both excited and afraid about this development.

Synopsis: The change in this universe is "What if Athena went to Khura'in instead of Phoenix?"

Story: Athena has arrived in Khura'in and is immediately accused of theft. Seems that the WAA can't catch a break in anything. Then again, what did you expect with these guys? Anyway, it's up to Maya to find the clues to prove her innocent and find the real culprit. But how difficult would that be in attorney-hostile Khura'in? As for how I enjoyed the story, well...there wasn't a lot to enjoy, as there's not that much there. Still, it is intriguing enough to want to see more of. Especially coming from these two veteran casemakers.

Presentation: For what little this entry has, there are some nice custom backgrounds and sprites. I especially liked the custom sprites of...*sigh* Fulai Tatendh'ant (I swear these name puns...) which, as far as I know, haven't been used in another case. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though.

Gameplay: Not much to say here. Only a few parts of an investigation are shown. Nothing groundbreaking but it works well enough for what little we have.

Theme Relevance: One thing that I like is that we immediately see the initial impact of the change in the timeline from the get go. While it's hard to see the long term impact from a short entry, what we have is solid enough to keep me hooked on this universe and what it has to offer.

Overall: "Passport? Check. Turnabout? Check," while short, piqued my interest and makes me interested to see more of this universe. I'd love to see the finished product unless they pull a clcman. Good job.
Next up, we have "The Toxic Turnabout" by MasqueradeDemure and BrushApocalypse.
Hehe, yeah Fulai's a custom character I drew for the case. I want to at least draw one OC for each case I work on to give it a sense of individuality. Wish we could've done more but we both were busy with IRL to devote much time to this T_T
ImageImageImageImage
Avatar from the TSub website :april: