Contradictions in the Law

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

drvonkitty
Spoken languages: English

Post by drvonkitty »

Co-Hosted by ZekromFan57 and drvonkitty

ImageImageImage
One of the primary themes of the Ace Attorney series is the relationship between the legal system and justice. In Turnabout Goodbyes, Manfred von Karma abuses his power as a prosecutor to obscure the truth in that case and in the DL-6 incident. In Farewell, my Turnabout Phoenix is forced to choose between justice for his client and saving a dear friend. In Turnabout Succession, a fundamental change to the legal system is the only way through which the real killer can be proven guilty. While the legal system should always enact justice, in many cases, it perpetuates and even creates injustice, whether through manipulation by its internal actors or deeper, systemic flaws. In both Ace Attorney and the real world, this has significant implications about the fate of every person who passes through the legal system.

Task

Your task (should you choose to accept it) is to create a case that explores one of these intricacies, or contradictions, within the legal system. While you are welcome to explore a part of the legal system of the Ace Attorney universe—for example, the initial trial system or the need for decisive evidence—you can also explore a different aspect from the real world, like plea bargains (what if a criminal tries to get away by testifying about their mob connections?) You could also create an entirely new justice system and explore its effects: the Kingdom of Khura'in in Spirit of Justice is an example. Your case should explicitly focus on and examine your chosen aspect of the legal system, but feel free to be creative and explore interesting and unique concepts that center around a contradiction in the law. Creative cases are better than uninspired ones!

Judging

Story: Does your case present a cohesive narrative? Does it have an interesting concept? Is it executed well? Does it have a natural flow? Does it keep the player hooked and intrigued throughout?

Characters: Are the characters well-developed and well-written? If using AA characters, are they characterized well based on their canon appearances? If using OCs, are they unique and distinctive from existing characters? Do the characters help the narrative? Do they play a role in exploring the legal system?

Presentation: Does your case look good? Do you make use of the editor's features, such as fades? Do you follow the standard elements of style in AA games, or create new ones that are consistent and nice to look at? If using custom art, does it fit stylistically? Is the entry polished?

Gameplay: Does the case have engaging gameplay? Is it fun? If it uses new mechanics, are they implemented well? Are there any bugs?

Theme Relevance: Does the case explore an aspect of the legal system that fits the theme, "contradiction in the law"? Does it do so effectively? Does it raise intriguing questions and answers? Is it well thought out and explored?

Rules
  • Entry must have been created between May 12, 2021 and August 12, 2021.
  • Entry must be submitted to ZekromFan57 and drvonkitty by the deadline. You must include a full walkthrough of the case.
  • Entry must not be showcased until it has been judged.
  • Entry must not be edited after submission until the competition is over, other than to make bug fixes requested by the hosts.
  • Entry may contain spoilers from any AA game set in the canon timeline, including PLvsPW. If it contains spoilers from anything else, please specify when submitting. It may not contain spoilers from The Great Ace Attorney series.
  • Entry may be an Investigation, Trial, Comedy, Miscellaneous, or anything else so long as it follows the competition rules.
  • Entry may be incomplete, but plan accordingly, as an incomplete case will not be judged the same as a completed one.
  • Entry may be a collaboration between no more than 2 people. If someone playtests the case, they must not be a judge or other participant.
Deadline

The deadline to submit your entry and full walkthrough is 11:59:59 PM EST (UTC -4) on August 12, 2021. There will be a 24-hour grace period in case of internet failure or other issues, but you must not edit your entry after the deadline.

Entrants

TimeAxis & Awsome2464
CorruptedFlame
Super legenda
AFan!
TheDeadMan
Khepri
BannedFrom7 & clcman

Good luck! :pearlhappy:
Last edited by drvonkitty on Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:23 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Awsome2464

Re: Contradictions in the Law

Post by Awsome2464 »

This is definitely an interesting comp theme! I might sit this one out, though if anyone with a case idea is looking to collab with someone, I'd be willing to help you out.
Image Image
TimeAxis

Post by TimeAxis »

I might give this one a try. I have an idea for a good name for a case, and a vague idea of the gist of the case itself. (Don't want to give it away though.) It'd just be a matter of fleshing out the details. It throws a wrench in the other case I'm in the middle of working on, but participating the competition might be a fun diversion. I might be open to the idea of collaborating with someone as well. We'll see.
Question Arcs (Threads Coming Eventually)
ImageImageImageImage
Gaiden Episodes
Champion of Turnabouts ★
HALLOWEEN HERO
Other
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attornauts
The Curious Case of the Phantom Limousine (Coming Eventually)
The Imposter's Turnabout (Coming Maybe)
drvonkitty

Post by drvonkitty »

TimeAxis wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:36 am I might give this one a try. I have an idea for a good name for a case, and a vague idea of the gist of the case itself. (Don't want to give it away though.) It'd just be a matter of fleshing out the details. It throws a wrench in the other case I'm in the middle of working on, but participating the competition might be a fun diversion. I might be open to the idea of collaborating with someone as well. We'll see.
Would you like me to go ahead and add you as an entrant?

TimeAxis

Post by TimeAxis »

drvonkitty wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:51 am
TimeAxis wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:36 am I might give this one a try. I have an idea for a good name for a case, and a vague idea of the gist of the case itself. (Don't want to give it away though.) It'd just be a matter of fleshing out the details. It throws a wrench in the other case I'm in the middle of working on, but participating the competition might be a fun diversion. I might be open to the idea of collaborating with someone as well. We'll see.
Would you like me to go ahead and add you as an entrant?
I don't have anything other than an a vague idea at this point, but as long as putting me down as an entrant doesn't commit me to anything, then sure, go ahead.
ImageImageImageImage
Gaiden Episodes
Champion of Turnabouts ★
HALLOWEEN HERO
Other
drvonkitty

Post by drvonkitty »

Yep, it just confirms that you're interested in making an entry. It doesn't obligate you to submit anything, and you can drop out at any time. But I hope you end up making something! All it takes is an idea. All I had when I entered for Ace of Turnabouts was
Spoiler : :
"what if... vera dead and apollo prosecutor and athena defense attorney lmao"
after reading the theme. And then Zekrom messaged me and the rest is history!

Added as an entrant. Congrats on being the first! You get the "Best First Entrant" award!

(does anyone else remember that aao awards thing where all the awards started with "best" even if it made no sense grammatically? no? just me? ok)

SuperAj3
Spoken languages: English, 日本語(少しだけ)

Post by SuperAj3 »

Willing to offer general support to all entrants in the sprite department! I can do some minor edits and, at best, a new character with 1 to 2 poses. New OCs I'll submit to the custom character resource thread once the comp is over.

I feel this is my way of sticking in without committing to a full case.
ImageImageImageImage
Avatar from the TSub website :april:
risefromtheashes
Spoken languages: English, Russian, Armenian, Spanish

Post by risefromtheashes »

SuperAj3 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:30 am Willing to offer general support to all entrants in the sprite department! I can do some minor edits and, at best, a new character with 1 to 2 poses. New OCs I'll submit to the custom character resource thread once the comp is over.

Helo please draw me ful set of older Mia Fey I need it for my fangam about her and Wende Oldbag
The Mindcastle System
(Don't know what a system is? Play 6-4, and take a look here.)
----------
OUR CASES:
- Athena Cykes ~ Locks on the Heart (synopsis)
- May Your Memory Be a Blessing
- A Little Piece of Healing
- The Killer Turnabout (~70% complete!)
- I guess we made the Looking Back case comp ceremony with Super legenda, but that's not an actual case

----------
Check out our music & art thread here!
omroom

Post by omroom »

Innnn?

I've got a weird idea I'd like to try
SuperAj3
Spoken languages: English, 日本語(少しだけ)

Post by SuperAj3 »

risefromtheashes wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:33 am
SuperAj3 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:30 am Willing to offer general support to all entrants in the sprite department! I can do some minor edits and, at best, a new character with 1 to 2 poses. New OCs I'll submit to the custom character resource thread once the comp is over.

Helo please draw me ful set of older Mia Fey I need it for my fangam about her and Wende Oldbag
tfw you joke but I actually made a few older Mia sprites: (for use with credit)
Spoiler : :
ImageImageImageImage
Avatar from the TSub website :april:
drvonkitty

Post by drvonkitty »

CorruptedFlame wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:46 am Innnn?

I've got a weird idea I'd like to try
Added, good luck! Weird can be great so I'm excited to see it.

TimeAxis

Post by TimeAxis »

Just to clarify the rules, if I’ve been working on an overall setting, sprites, etc. since way before this comp, would it be allowed to use things I’ve previously planned as long as work on the actual trial itself began with this comp? Or does every single aspect need to be made specifically for this comp?
ImageImageImageImage
Gaiden Episodes
Champion of Turnabouts ★
HALLOWEEN HERO
Other
ikuzonos
Spoken languages: English, limited French

Post by ikuzonos »

This is a really cool theme and I'm excited to see what cases come from it! I'll be sitting this one out as I have a lot of obligations this summer, but if anyone needs a playtester, I'd be happy to help with that.
drvonkitty

Post by drvonkitty »

TimeAxis wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:47 am Just to clarify the rules, if I’ve been working on an overall setting, sprites, etc. since way before this comp, would it be allowed to use things I’ve previously planned as long as work on the actual trial itself began with this comp? Or does every single aspect need to be made specifically for this comp?
Yep, that's fine, as long as you didn't create the trial before the competition started.

Super legenda
Spoken languages: Español e Ingles

Post by Super legenda »

Hm... You know, after finally finishing Final Day... I feel like finally starting on a new project! Count me in, you will be delighted by, Turnabout of the Fallen.