Contradictions in the Law

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

ZekromFan57
Spoken languages: English, Igpay Atinlay

Re: Contradictions in the Law

Post by ZekromFan57 »

Well, it's finally time. The ceremony that you've all been waiting for...

CONTRADICTIONS IN THE LAW - THE CEREMONY

It clocks in at around 750 frames. If you (for some reason) don't want to play through it, or you just want a convenient way to see everyone's awards, then below you is a quick summary. But come on, why wouldn't you play the ceremony?

Spoiler : Turnabout on a Roulette by TheDeadMan :
Image New Blood Award - For the people without a case under their belt who just said "screw it, I'm going all in".
Image The Payneful Award - For featuring the ultimate prosecutor.
Image WTF?! Award - For tricking, swindling and quite possibly bamboozling us.
Image Gumshoe's Award - For having the most competent police force in the known universe.
Image Giant Pineapple Award - For sacrificing your entire case and potentially getting the death penalty in the name of becoming a meme.
Image Drastic Measures Award - For when you can't pay your medical bills.
Image Understands Deadlines Award - Read the name of the award, genius.
Spoiler : Semiramis Turnabout: Sleeping Dogs by Khepri :
Image New Blood Award - For the people without a case under their belt who just said "screw it, I'm going all in".
Image Short but Sweet Award - For making out jobs reviewing the case a whole lot easier.
Image Best Setting Award - For having a unique setting to keep things interesting.
Spoiler : Turnabout of the Fallen by Super legenda :
Image Dzibilchaltunchunchucmilliation Award - What's this award for? Who can say? But it’s not going away any time soon.
Image Gumshoe's Award - For having the most competent police force in the known universe.
Image Secret Passageway Award - For satisfying my urge to find a hidden room in the most unlikely of places.
Image Making Evilthena Media Excusable (M.E.M.E.) Award - For making a case so dark we couldn't NOT bring back this award.
Image Is This Real Life? Award - For setting the case in a dystopian wasteland.
Spoiler : The Poisonous Turnabout by TimeAxis and Awsome2464 :
Image New Blood Award - For the people without a case under their belt who just said "screw it, I'm going all in". (Specifically for TimeAxis)
Image Best Writing Award - For being good enough to impress the man himself.
Image Lunchtime Award - For making me so hungry, I'd risk poisoning myself to have one of those cookies.
Image Gameplay n' Gimmicks Award - For giving us the ability to use the incredible power of examining the evidence in more detail (that Phoenix probably wished he had in 1-2).
Image Golden Paintbrush Award - For having proficiency in the fine art of... art.
Image Most Cliché Character Award - For having, you guessed it, the most cliché character.
Image ROFLcopter Award - For making Gumshoe the butt of every joke, as usual.
Image Understands Deadlines Award - Read the name of the award, genius.
Image Golden Cactus - I mean... everyone knows what this is for, so no need for a description.
Spoiler : The Phantom's Turnabout by bannedfrom7 and clcman :
Image The Deid Mann Award for Outstanding Puns - Even he would admit these puns blow him outta the water.
Image Best Character Award - For creating the character that managed to impress not just one but both of the hosts!
Image Making You Think Award - For presenting a mind-bending moral dilemma. Also one of the only awards that actually looks like an award.
Image Superb Set-up Award - For having an extremely intriguing premise.
Image INjustice We Trust Award - For creating a case that really utilises the theme.
Image Cliffhanger Award - For leaving us wanting more.
Image Unexpected Cameo Award - Hey, I'm not gonna spoil who it is.
Image Masked Unmasked Award - For delving into a certain character's psyche.
Spoiler : Overall Rankings :
5th Place - Semiramis Turnabout: Sleeping Dogs by Khepri

4th Place - Turnabout of the Fallen by Super legenda

3rd Place - Turnabout on a Roulette by TheDeadMan

Image 2nd Place - The Phantom's Turnabout by bannedfrom7 and clcman

Image 1st Place - The Poisonous Turnabout by TimeAxis and Awsome2464
Feedback on the ceremony would be much appreciated!
This is what I hear the kids are into these days:

drvonkitty
Spoken languages: English

Post by drvonkitty »

Spoiler : Winner :
Congrats to TimeAxis and Awsome2464!
Thanks to everyone for helping us host a fun comp, and thanks again to all the entrants!! I’ll try to send those full reviews soon. You are now free to edit your entries and release as you please!

And alright, fine, just doing a forum post would’ve been lame. Props to Zekrom for doing all the work lol

TheDeadMan

Post by TheDeadMan »

Well, that was absolutely hilarious. And of course, congratulations to the winner...
Spoiler : :
TimeAxis and Awsome2464!
I'm surprised in my final ranking and I'm honestly not sure if I should release my case as it is, considering other stuff but I dunno, we'll see. Either way, I'm interested to see the other entries when they come out. I'm curious to see the next competition and that's all.
Awsome2464

Post by Awsome2464 »

Yet another great AAO Case Comp Awards Ceremony! Excellent work, guys, and congrats to the winning entry!
Well, hot damn. I won it again? I can honestly say I didn't expect that. I mean, surely the Golden Cactus could've gone to someone el- Oh, you mean I won the overall comp, too? Sweet!!

In all seriousness, this was TimeAxis's case, at its core; all I did was help with some story elements, contradictions, and writing touches. So I'd say he definitely deserves the credit here. Congrats to TimeAxis, I'm glad I could help, and I'd say you definitely deserve to be the host of the next comp (though if you'd rather have me host and you co-host, that's perfectly fine, as well).
Image Image
TimeAxis

Post by TimeAxis »

That was a really fun ceremony. Had a smile on my face throughout.
Spoiler : Winner :
Wow, I'm really glad the case was so well received. It's technically my first case (I was in the middle of another one before the contest was announced so I had a bit of experience, but not much), so everything said was really high praise. I also found the sneak previews of the other cases to be intriguing and I'm looking forward to trying them when they get released. Some of the characters we saw in that ceremony were pretty fun. (btw, her name is Sherlock Shellingford, not Shellington, lol, not that it's a big deal) I don't know what the golden cactus is, but I guess that's the joke.

Big thanks to Awsome2464 for collaborating with me. While I did already have an idea of the case concept myself and did a majority of the writing, if it weren't for Awsome2464 being there to discuss the case with, I almost certainly wouldn't have finished in time, as I would have likely frozen up after the first roadblock or the first time I got stumped. There were a quite a few times where I wrote myself into a corner but managed to get out of it thanks to having a fresh pair of eyes to discuss the problem with, so it went a long way. Having a veteran to consult with about the more nitty gritty things like the ideal number of frames before a case needs to be split, and stuff like that was also helpful. Awsome2464 also encouraged me to go with some original ideas that I'd dismissed for silly reasons (such as having Sheryl at the defense's bench with Phoenix) which I think improved the quality of the case significantly.

This is the first competition I've participated in, and only the second that I've seen the award ceremony for, so I'm not exactly sure how these things work exactly. I wouldn't be entirely comfortable being the main host of the next contest, so since Awesome2464 is more experienced in that regard, it's probably best that they take that role over me. But I'd be happy to co-host it.

As for when the entry itself will be playable, I had to rush it out for the contest, so there's still a lot that I have to do, (what the judges played was essentially if you snipped off the final twist of an AA game and then stripped out the climax and just ended it at the 90% mark) but there was also some good feedback brought up in the reviews that I'd like to address if possible, so it'll take some time for me to do that as well. This contest entry was actually the first entry into a larger project of mine called Super Mystery Wars, so I intend to make sure it's polished enough to represent the world I'm trying to build. I'm going to take my time with it and try to make it a case worthy of the golden cactus.
Thanks to the judges for hosting the contest. It was a lot of fun. I look forward to trying out everyone's entries when they release.
Question Arcs (Threads Coming Eventually)
ImageImageImageImage
Gaiden Episodes
Champion of Turnabouts ★
HALLOWEEN HERO
Other
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attornauts
The Curious Case of the Phantom Limousine (Coming Eventually)
The Imposter's Turnabout (Coming Maybe)
Bannedfrom7

Post by Bannedfrom7 »

That was an amazing ceremony, guys! Congrats to TimeAxis and Awsome264 for winning the competition and the others for the awards! I can't wait to play your cases!
I am Banned
risefromtheashes
Spoken languages: English, Russian, Armenian, Spanish

Post by risefromtheashes »

THAT CEREMONY WAS INCREDIBLE. BIG PROPS TO YOU GUYS. I WAS LAUGHING MY ASS OFF THE WHOLE TIME.

Also,
Spoiler : Winners :
congrats to TimeAxis for becoming the newest member of the SOFEW (Special Order of First-Entry Winners), and Awsome2464 for like the third time now!
I look forward to the new case comp! I hope the winner thinks of a good theme. ;)
The Mindcastle System
(Don't know what a system is? Play 6-4, and take a look here.)
----------
OUR CASES:
- Athena Cykes ~ Locks on the Heart (synopsis)
- May Your Memory Be a Blessing
- A Little Piece of Healing
- The Killer Turnabout (~70% complete!)
- I guess we made the Looking Back case comp ceremony with Super legenda, but that's not an actual case

----------
Check out our music & art thread here!
Awsome2464

Post by Awsome2464 »

risefromtheashes wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:46 pm
congrats to TimeAxis for becoming the newest member of the SOFEW (Special Order of First-Entry Winners), and Awsome2464 for like the third time now!
Yes, my third Golden Cactus! I shall treasure them always! :calisto:
Image Image
Super legenda
Spoken languages: Español e Ingles

Post by Super legenda »

Dunno if feel honored, or offended about my comp being such a running meme... I'll take, honored.
This comp was very good and filled with a lot of laughing from my part, congrats to the winner!

Now to keep working again on my dark case, and require a loong time to finish it post competition, feels, familiar.
DJJ6800

Post by DJJ6800 »

Really great ceremony as always and congrats to the winners!
Aw man, I thought Papyrus would actually stick around more as the third host.
risefromtheashes
Spoken languages: English, Russian, Armenian, Spanish

Post by risefromtheashes »

Awsome2464 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:07 pm
risefromtheashes wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:46 pm
Yes, my third Golden Cactus! I shall treasure them always! :calisto:
This time, you'd better choose a comp theme that actually fits one of my case concepts. >:( (Seriously, clcman and I were like "YES! Wait, NO!" with Butterfly Effect because we have a concept ALL ABOUT the Butterfly Effect and NOTHING to do with canon AA. Hopefully this time around, we can smush that case into the new comp's theme LOL.)
The Mindcastle System
(Don't know what a system is? Play 6-4, and take a look here.)
----------
OUR CASES:
- Athena Cykes ~ Locks on the Heart (synopsis)
- May Your Memory Be a Blessing
- A Little Piece of Healing
- The Killer Turnabout (~70% complete!)
- I guess we made the Looking Back case comp ceremony with Super legenda, but that's not an actual case

----------
Check out our music & art thread here!
ikuzonos
Spoken languages: English, limited French

Post by ikuzonos »

Winners!
Congratulations to TimeAxis and Awsome2464!
I've been quietly following along with this thread and the posts/awards ceremony have made me very excited to play the cases upon their release! Fantastic job to everyone who participated.
Awsome2464

Post by Awsome2464 »

I"m happy to announce that the new comp is live and ready for entrants! Check it out here!
Image Image
clcman

Post by clcman »

This was a good comp and a good ceremony.
I was especially impressed that you used some of the actual Evilthena music. (And your interpretation of me was generally correct.)
Congratulations to the winners!
What do REAL, NON-BRIBED people have to say about HTB!?
"This really changed the way I thought about Phoenix as a character. ...Wow." - Reecer6
"HTB! contains truths that might be hard to stomach, but had to be unveiled nonetheless." - Blackrune
"This deserves a best plot twist award." - Evo
"It changed my life, and it can change yours too. For the better, I mean." - Calvinball
"I will never look at Phoenix Wright the same way again" - PhoenixRises123
"omg best thing on aao" - AceAttorneyMaster111
DISCOVER THE TRUTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU DIDN'T KNOW IN HTB! PROLOGUE AND PART 1, AVAILABLE NOW!!

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -Isaac Asimov
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." -H. L. Mencken
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

Time to lock this one up. Congratulations to the winner!
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson