The Miracle Happen :')

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Spongesonic
Spoken languages: English

Post by Spongesonic »

Co-Hosted by Trybien and Spongesonic
And on the 7th day, God created contradictions so that man may have something to point his finger at.
(Image by maridosmangas-2001)

One of the most common - and most hated - tropes in all media is the Deus ex Machina, a scenario where something sudden and unexpected provides a solution to a seemingly unsolvable situation. People hate this trope because they see it as a cheap way for an author to "write themselves out of a corner"... and we're here to change that perception. Ace Attorney has had its own fair share of Deus ex Machinas - some bad, of course, but some have been surprisingly effective ways to further a mystery or story. (Take examples like Larry barging in during 1-4, or the final pieces of evidence in 2-4, for instance.) Clearly, not every instance of this trope is bad, so there must be a way to do it right.

Task:

The goal for this comp is simple: create a case that revolves around a Deus ex Machina. For the purposes of this comp, we’re allowing two definitions of the term “Deus ex Machina” to think about:
  • 1) An unsolvable problem being solved by a sudden and unexpected happenstance
Or, if you want take the "Deus" in "Deus ex Machina" a bit more literally:
  • 2) Something impossible/highly improbable happening that can only be explained away with divine intervention
In order for the case to qualify for the comp theme, one or both interpretations must be used in your case. Of course, if you use the second interpretation, "real" deities are not required in your mystery. Which interpretation you use should be clear and easily identifiable, and it should have a big impact on the case - meaning not just a random part of the narrative that nobody thinks about or ever brings up again.

Judging:

Story: Your case should have a story that’s easy to follow, with an interesting premise and a satisfying mystery, assuming you choose to go for the standard Ace Attorney affair. Narrative hooks should have satisfying follow-ups, and the player should be engaged in what’s happening.

Characters: The characters in your case should be memorable and distinct. Even those that follow a bunch of cliches should have something to make them likable. They should have clear motivations for their actions and conclude their arcs in a satisfying way.

Presentation: Your case shouldn’t be a presentation nightmare. Even if you only use premade assets, you can still do a lot to make your case feel lively and polished. Grammar, music, and graphics should at least be to the point where they are presentable, and there should be no game-breaking bugs.

Gameplay: The case should be fun to play, of course. The player should feel like they have agency in what’s going on around them, rather than someone sitting back and watching things happen. Contradictions should have a logical basis and not feel like something the creator came up with on the spot. Unique gameplay additions are also welcome, of course.

Theme Relevance: This is the big one. Your case needs to have one or both possible interpretations of a Deus ex Machina as a major part of the story. Your inclusion of it should be easily identifiable, and what interpretation you went with should also be easy to understand. Most importantly, your use of Deus ex Machina should be narratively satisfying - something that adds to the case, rather than detracts from it. No matter which interpretation you go for, the reveal of it should heighten the story, be it for thrills, twists, or goofs. A case could score well in all other categories, but an underwhelming or poorly implemented Deus ex Machina will drag it down considerably.

Rules:
  • All entries must be created between March 13, 2022, and June 13, 2022.
  • Entries must be submitted to Trybien and Spongesonic with walkthroughs included.
  • Entries must not be showcased until after they’ve been judged.
  • Entries must not be edited after being submitted, unless at the behest of the judges to fix major bugs. They may be edited after judging to make minor changes, such as fixing minor bugs and grammar mistakes, but they must not be radically changed until after the competition is over.
  • Entries may contain spoilers from all mainline Ace Attorney games, both Ace Attorney Investigations games, Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, and The Great Ace Attorney games. Spoilers for non-Ace Attorney properties must be clarified during submission.
  • Entries may be a Trial, Investigation, Comedy, Miscellaneous, or anything else so long as they follow comp rules.
  • Entries may be incomplete, but please try to plan accordingly.
  • Entries may be a collaboration between no more than 2 people. Third party playtesters are fine, so long as they are not the judges or other entrants.

Deadline:

Your full entry and walkthrough must be sent to Trybien and Spongesonic by 11:59:59 PM MST (UCT -7) on June 13, 2022. A 24-hour grace period will be permitted for unforeseen circumstances.

Entrants:

Super legenda - Suddenly struck by lightning out of the blue
applekitty and eerew - Entry Sumbitted
DJJ6800 - Kristoph came back from the dead and hit him with a bottle
XavierWright - Entry Submitted
Young_Englander - Entry Submitted
trialdude - Entry Submitted
TimeAxis - Entry Submitted
SuperAj3 and MasqueradeDemure - Entry Submitted
Dylan Dog - Run over by an ambulance when he was chasing cars
MedicInDisquise - Was met with a stray crocket (which was totally fair and balanced)
Mirage Xel - Suddenly disappeared into thin air when they were approached
TheDeadMan - von Karma randomly decided he should be his namesake
AFan! - Tripped and fell down the stairs and hasn't been seen since
Bench - Coach put him on the bench at the last minute. Eh? Eh? (I'll see myself out)
The Fury Wraith - Entry Submitted
CorruptedFlame - Assassinated and replaced with a robot AI
skyem - Entry Sumbitted
GuardianDreamer - Entry Submitted
Sonnie Celanna - Entry Sumbitted
TheKayOne - Kay was actually Ema the entire time! What a twist! But then Kay sued her for impersonation. (Hey, it's not easy coming up with these, okay?)
CallMeBlue - Did not die because it's too predictable, simply forgot he had a doctor's appointment
clcman - Entry Sumbitted

Good luck to anyone who joins! AND WATCH OUT FOR THAT SUDDEN LIGHTNING BOLT

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The Miracle Happen :')" Awards Ceremony

Click here to see the results!

Awards
Spoiler : Public Defender by Young_Englander :
Image Great Potential Award: Just keep at it, and you'll have something that will knock people's socks off!
Image Give That Man Atmosphere! Award: For excelling so much in creating a clear and present atmosphere to your entry.
Image Golden Cactus Award: Congratulations! You did... um... something? I think.
Spoiler : TSTLGoLAHAPASTTTSTATTTGGoF by GuardianDreamer :
Image Understands Deadlines Award: You actually managed to finish yours! What a miracle, right?
Image Best "Wright"ing Award: You're a far better writer than whoever came up with that pun.
Image Best Supporting Cast Award: Even the background characters need love and care, pal!
Image The End is Never The End Award: Did you get the Broom Closet Ending? The Broom Closet Ending was my favorite.
Image Pride Power! Award: Inclusion is rad, yo. For excellence in LGBT representation.
Spoiler : The Reflective Turnabout by Sonnie Celanna :
Image Understands Deadlines Award: You actually managed to finish yours! What a miracle, right?
Image Sistine Chapel Award: For the trials that went the extra mile to give us something pretty to look at.
Image Murder Machine Award: Sometimes, you just gotta go all out.
Image Ema Skye Hospitalization Fund Award: You're paying for the medical bills.
Image Right Down the Middle Award: For being the case we disagreed the most on.
Spoiler : Champion of Turnabouts by TimeAxis :
Image Gameplay 'n' Gimmicks Award: For going above and beyond the standard call of gameplay.
Image Boss Battle Award: If your entry is nothing but boss battles, does it still count?
Image AAO Wizard Award: "Yer a Jedi, Harry." - Gandalf, The Wizard of Oz.
Image From the Heavens Award: Truly, what a divine idea! For the best use of Interpretation 2.
Spoiler : Turnabout Retribution by The Fury Wraith :
Image God of Comedy Award: Don't you dare doubt that it's true.
Image Superb Set-Up Award: For a set-up that sets the stage so well that it's insane.
Image Jeebus Award: For the best protagonist. Also, I'm pretty sure I'm going to Hell for making this.
Image From the Heavens Award: Truly, what a divine idea! For the best use of Interpretation 2.
Spoiler : The Strange Case Of The Turnabout by XavierWright :
Image Great Potential Award: Just keep at it, and you'll have something that will knock people's socks off!
Image Union Jack Award: Well that's a right spot, 'innit?
Image Pulitzer Prize Award: You did what many of us could not - read a book.
Spoiler : The Sublime Turnabout by SuperAj3 and MasqueradeDemure :
Image Dionysus Award: For the best presentation of the entries. What a performance!
Image Best Setting Award: For the absolutely sublime setting you gave the world!
Spoiler : The Mother's Turnabout by trialdude :
Image WTF?! Award: Mind = blown. Brain = gone.
Image M.E.M.E. Award: Sometimes, subtlety is scarier.
Image Loki Award: Don't trust him, even if he is played by Tom Hiddleston.
Spoiler : That Turnabout Where The Murderer Killed The Victim by clcman :
Image Dzibilchaltunchunchucmilliation Award: Dzib smiles down at the absolute chaos you have achieved.
Image Patroclus Award: For the sidekick that made all the other sidekicks realize their inferiority.
Image Ghostest with the Mostest Award: For mentioning the best ghost.
Spoiler : Turnabout For Human Rights by eerew and applekitty :
Image Gameplay 'n' Gimmicks Award: For going above and beyond the standard call of gameplay.
Image Dzibilchaltunchunchucmilliation Award: Dzib smiles down at the absolute chaos you have achieved.
Image Speak of the Devil Award: Even he's running away from the monster you created.
Image Beeg Brain Award: For the case that beegened our brains the most.
Image Stool Logic Award: For changing the game on what this type of logic is called.
Image Pride Power! Award: Inclusion is rad, yo. For excellence in LGBT representation.
Spoiler : Turnabout Divergence by skyem :
Image Best Canon Character Characterization: For characterization so good that it's better than canon.
Image Canon Engineer Award: Hey, we fixed that for you, Capcom.
Image A True Deus ex Machina Award: Right out of nowhere! For the best use of Interpretation 1.
Spoiler : Extra :
For Trybien and Spongesonic
Image AAO Speedrunning WR Award: Because we deserve something nice for this.
Spoiler : 2nd Place :
Champion of Turnabouts by TimeAxis
Image Silver Wings Award: For the runner-up. Don't be disappointed, what you did was godly in and of itself!
Spoiler : 1st Place :
Turnabout For Human Rights by eerew and applekitty
Image Golden Halo Award: For the winner. Thank you for your miracle.
Spoiler : Credits :
Sprites
Sebastian Debeste sprites animated by Horace Knightly
Hercule Eerie sprites by Spongesonic
Athena sprites by Rajin, mercurialSK, and FenrirDarkWolf
Athena profile by Anyare
Tenyo sprites by TimeAxis
Eros (Gretta Danllo) and Alberto Quintero sprites by Hesseldahl
Chuckie (Charles Demafia) and Jekyll (Lei Velind) sprites by Lind
Colton Owen and ________ (Rosemary Thyme) sprites by SuperAj3
Garbulfunkancle (Dahlia Hawthorne) sprites by Anarye
Kyle Vine sprites by Hilbertx14
Dale Turner (Kain Lewis) and Libby Tum (Quinn DiMagi) sprites by FenrirDarkWolf
Dr. Kennedy (Enym Vilyne) sprites by Dypo
Perceive background animated by fanfreak247
Other sprites taken from Court-Records.net
Awards provided by clcman

Music
Toccata and Fugue in D Minor written by Johann Sebastian Bach
Examination ~ Allegro remix by Cadenza
Cosney Megundal ~ Suspect from the Fog from TGAAC

SFX
Earthquake sfx from The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Everything else from stock assets
Last edited by Spongesonic on Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:31 am, edited 48 times in total.
Winner of the "Broken Commandments" Case Competition
-------
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥
Love should be genderless.
If you agree, please add this to your signature.

Misc. Information
Steam: spongesonic
Youtube: SpongesonicPictures
Super legenda
Spoken languages: Español e Ingles

Re: The Miracle Happen :')

Post by Super legenda »

I've just randomly had a case idea yesterday, and I can make it work around this, mostly the second option.
Welcome to the Game, get ready for The Reaper's Turnabout.
applekitty

Post by applekitty »

I'm going to join with eerew.
ImageImageImage
DJJ6800

Post by DJJ6800 »

Why do I do this to myself? Constantly enter into comps with case ideas that never get fully finished? I dunno but I'm doing it again here. Hopefully I finish this time. *knocks on wood* Count me in.
XavierWright

Post by XavierWright »

Welp, here's to hoping I get an entry in this time

Put me in.
Spongesonic

Post by Spongesonic »

Wow, four people joined already? Right on!
-------
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥

Misc. Information
eerew

Post by eerew »

I'm going to join with ChingKittyCat.
Young_Englander

Post by Young_Englander »

I’ve been a lurker on this forum for a while now, but I’ve decided to finally try and make a case of my own.

Put me in.
Spongesonic

Post by Spongesonic »

Alright! Looks like we have some fresh blood for this comp!
-------
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥

Misc. Information
applekitty

Post by applekitty »

This'll be my first case released and played by others, so I'm fresh blood as well. Here's to hoping this'll be a memorable one. Eerew and I brainstormed today and let's just say this is going to be an intriguing 'first' case for me to have worked on.

Welcome to the site, Englander.
ImageImageImage
ikuzonos
Spoken languages: English, limited French

Post by ikuzonos »

This is an interesting theme, I like it! I'll be passing up on entering this time (I'd like to finish one of my trials before attempting another lol), but I'd be happy to playtest for anyone!
trialdude

Post by trialdude »

I've had an idea in the back of my head for years now, and this theme just so happens to fit it perfectly! I know this idea's going to infest my brain if I don't get it out, so consider me entered!
I have the stupidest username in all of AAO. Nowhere else will you find one more stupid.
TimeAxis

Post by TimeAxis »

Alright, I think I've got a decent idea. Mark me down as entering.
Question Arcs (Threads Coming Eventually)
ImageImageImageImage
Gaiden Episodes
Champion of Turnabouts ★
HALLOWEEN HERO
Other
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attornauts
The Curious Case of the Phantom Limousine (Coming Eventually)
The Imposter's Turnabout (Coming Maybe)
Trybien

Post by Trybien »

I'm happy to see all of the early interest. Best of luck to each of the entrants, and I look forward to enjoying each of your entries.
Winner of the “Broken Commandments” Case Competition
SuperAj3
Spoken languages: English, 日本語(少しだけ)

Post by SuperAj3 »

Very tempted to throw my hat into the ring here. I had a good idea for a sprite which tends to shape my cases so LOL add me as a "yes".
ImageImageImageImage
Avatar from the TSub website :april: