Turnabout of the New Generation

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Mimi
Spoken languages: English: the only language I can brag about

Re: Turnabout of the New Generation

Post by Mimi »

I had confidence too. If I didn't I wouldn't have been whining about not being honorable mention or whatever. :oops: It's just that I never win competitions... :( That wants you to get something at least.
E.D.Revolution
Spoken languages: English and decent Spanish

Post by E.D.Revolution »

Actually, I had a very specific reason for entering this competition... It's about continuing themes... If BB was for New Generation, I was for Old Generation... Showing how the old generation influenced the new generation... A much harder competition, if you ask me.
Zeel1™
Spoken languages: English

Post by Zeel1™ »

E.D.Revolution wrote:I'm not criticizing the review... I'm criticizing what's lacking from it. Zeel, have you played any of my cases yet? I didn't create this trial to make an awesome crime. I made this trial for the sake of answering the prompt. It's more about the style and I'm VERY disappointed that wasn't even mentioned in the review. The style of the case... not the crime itself, but the themes of it. And I think you have failed to take into account on how much time I've spent on this... Though you could counter with "I should've spent more time on it..." I'm afraid that's not possible, due to RL.

Nothing else to note... If anyone else has anything to say, I'm open to it.
I can acknowledge that you tried to fit it with the theme. That wasn't lost on me, trust me. But how much did that actually have to do with this case's plot? See, I get the feeling that if you had removed all of the visions, I guess I'd call them, it wouldn't have impacted much. I feel it would be more or less the exact same case, with the exact same story. The bits about the way things are changing seemed more like foreshadowing, if anything. The feeling I get, in relation to the theme, is "A new generation is coming", and that's fine, but in New Year's Turnabout, the feeling is more "A new generation is here", which I feel is a little more appropriate.

...I'm sorry, I should've mentioned that, I don't know why I didn't.

And it's not lost on me that this was a last-minute entry, I find it quite commendable how much work you put in in such a short span of time.
Turnabout Ghost - 1400 Frames
E.D.Revolution

Post by E.D.Revolution »

That's not what Phantom would argue... And here he is... :)
Mimi
Spoken languages: English: the only language I can brag about

Post by Mimi »

Then we should definitely play ours. My game had that kind of theme, you know. It was even mentioned in the trial. :roll:
SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

Zeel, PM me if you get stuck on Blackrune's...it's gonna happen. ED, if it makes you feel better, I've had a bit of time to think about it and I think I would have chosen NYT as better overall: Now, personally, I got so sucked into your dialogue (probably because I'm a sucker for your writing style, I'm a sucker for Apollo, and I'm a sucker for Edgeworth) that I actually didn't notice a lot of the contradictions that Blackrune and BP bought up in their reviews (you addressed those problems later on I think, I replayed it recently and I don't think the explanation for those was addressed in my initial review of it), which really says something if you can cover up flaws like that without trying to. And I'm not blaming you for those either since you had to put it together in a week which is extremley impressive as well. However...things in NYT just came together a lot better, there were some really awesome contradictions in there (And the dynamic duo is even up to their usual mind games in here which makes the thing REALLY hard), and in my opinion, the cast was characterized a lot stronger, plus even though I think yours was more theme relevant, they did very well with it too. Like I said, it's not easy but I think I'd have given it to them. Sorry if I'm being a little vague on things. I'm not the judge anymore so I'm trying not to steal the thunder here. NYT vs OHoaT...that one's going to be interesting. It's a true test of the weight of theme relevance and I can't wait to hear Zeel's take on it. I still don't know which one I'd have chosen.

I know that doesn't address the issue about it missing the attention to the prompt. I don't feel I'm qualified to address that, but Zeel already did while I was typing this anyway.

I'm really scared Phantom's going to take all this the wrong way and lash out at Zeel for bias
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
E.D.Revolution

Post by E.D.Revolution »

Yes, that's basically the tenet of your trial, Lady Sama.

Let's see who will host the next competition... It damn well better not be about what I had just mentioned... Or I'm going to scream

I'm fine. I got my anger out of the way.

Guys, please do not take this as anger. I'm tempering my response to this whole thing so as not to come off as ungrateful. More like "having a specific complaint then humbling oneself after the fact."
Zeel1™

Post by Zeel1™ »

BBblader wrote:Zeel, PM me if you get stuck on Blackrune's...it's gonna happen. ED, if it makes you feel better, I've had a bit of time to think about it and I think I would have chosen NYT as better overall: Now, personally, I got so sucked into your dialogue (probably because I'm a sucker for your writing style, I'm a sucker for Apollo, and I'm a sucker for Edgeworth) that I actually didn't notice a lot of the contradictions that Blackrune and BP bought up in their reviews (you addressed those problems later on I think, I replayed it recently and I don't think the explanation for those was addressed in my initial review of it), which really says something if you can cover up flaws like that without trying to. And I'm not blaming you for those either since you had to put it together in a week which is extremley impressive as well. However...things in NYT just came together a lot better, there were some really awesome contradictions in there (And the dynamic duo is even up to their usual mind games in here which makes the thing REALLY hard), and in my opinion, the cast was characterized a lot stronger, plus even though I think yours was more theme relevant, they did very well with it too. Like I said, it's not easy but I think I'd have given it to them. Sorry if I'm being a little vague on things. I'm not the judge anymore so I'm trying not to steal the thunder here. NYT vs OHoaT...that one's going to be interesting. It's a true test of the weight of theme relevance and I can't wait to hear Zeel's take on it. I still don't know which one I'd have chosen.

I know that doesn't address the issue about it missing the attention to the prompt. I don't feel I'm qualified to address that, but Zeel already did while I was typing this anyway.

I'm really scared Phantom's going to take all this the wrong way and lash out at Zeel for bias
Whaaaaaat? Are you implying that I have something against Phantom?! Why that is just- what a complete- you are just-... yooooou! You're sillyyyy~~~

I just hope you can see where I'm coming from with this, ED. I get the impression that you could've made the actual trial itself with pretty much any other kind of story, and the effect would be the same. If you really want to make a theme prevalent, I think it should take center stage. How the crime went down, the motives behind it, that's where I feel a theme should come into play.

Imagine this trial without the Phoenix/Kristoph internal struggle thing... played without that, would this theme have even drifted into your mind? If it would, feel free to explain where and why. I'm more than willing to hear it out, but I just don't really see it, myself.
E.D.Revolution

Post by E.D.Revolution »

See, Zeel. That's the problem... If I did as you would have, I'd be copying Turnabout Generations. Did you ever consider that?

There's a reason Phantom's in my team... So as not to copy Turnabout Generations and actually to help me on this case...

I have to thank Phantom for helping me on this case. Without him, I wouldn't have gotten far with this case, nor would I actually be inspired to actually compete in this case.

And Vanixa, too... for helping me get a lot of work done in a week (though she lurks on the forums)
Last edited by E.D.Revolution on Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
SwagmaWampyr

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

No no no, I'm saying I'm scared PHANTOM might take this the wrong way, I'm not saying there's any ill will on your part. You have to understand, these past few days on Skype and the xat he's been doing nothing but say "GONNA BEAT BP AND PIIIIINNNGG" and there's other issues I'd rather not bring up if I don't have to. Point is he's been filling himself with a mindset (I don't know if he's serious about it or not) and I'm not sure he'd take the judgment against him well. Nothing you did wrong. ED seems to have accepted it and he's more involved with it than Phantom was.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
Zeel1™

Post by Zeel1™ »

E.D.Revolution wrote:See, Zeel. That's the problem... If I did as you would have, I'd be copying Turnabout Generations. Did you ever consider that?

There's a reason Phantom's in my team... So as not to copy Turnabout Generations and actually to help me on this case...

I have to thank Phantom for helping me on this case. Without him, I wouldn't have gotten far with this case, nor would I actually be inspired to actually compete in this case.

And Vanixa, too... for helping me get a lot of work done in a week (though she lurks on the forums)
Well I haven't played Generations... though I don't suppose I'd be surprised if it takes on similar themes, given the name... :P
E.D.Revolution

Post by E.D.Revolution »

Zeel, visit my thread if you have a chance... There's a high probability you're right on that...
mAc Chaos

Post by mAc Chaos »

E.D.Revolution wrote:CUT: Damn it... Why the hell does Ryu and Mac have the same avatar?! :evil:

Mimi, I thought yours was great. The only difference between yours and the others is that yours feels more like the first half of a story whereas theirs was complete. You set up all the plot elements and exciting intrigue, but we're still waiting to see what happens.

Also, I used Kristoph first. :P HE'S MINE.
The wolf knows what the ill heart thinks.
@mAcChaos

BEHOLD, the ULTIMATE CASE: MACFIA, an epic journey through time and space.
Zeel1™

Post by Zeel1™ »

Agh... I'm so ridiculously tired. I've felt like going to sleep since like 6 PM... that was eight hours ago. I'm on Blackrune's trial, and I'll try my best to finish this competition, but honestly, I feel like I might pass out at this point, and I know I have a long ways to go. The fact that he decided to be cute and not give out a walkthrough - I guess he decided he'd rather lose by default due to the judges not being able to finish than let it become easy... gotta admire his values :awesome: - just makes it seem all the more hopeless...

At the latest, it'll be in later today. (Today being Monday.) But... y'know, I'll try.

I kinda wish I took up the reigns a little earlier yesterday...
SwagmaWampyr

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

There's nothing we can do about it now. We can wait one more day, I'm sure, don't swear it. Thanks to Zeel again for his help. And thanks to everyone for their understanding and support, and congrats to whoever wins it if I'm not around to see it. Like I already mentioned, it's been a blast and a great privilege to host this while I was.

Right, reduced activity on AAO starting now...reduced, mind you...I'll pop in when I can.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage