Converting from V5 to V6

Learn how to use AAO by reading tutorials, and seek help from the AAO community.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

mAc Chaos
Spoken languages: English

Converting from V5 to V6

Post by mAc Chaos »

Hey guys! It's been forever, huh? I noticed my old Macfia cases had their links broken, since a friend pointed it out to me, and for old times' sake I decided to come check this place out again...

There's some bugs I needed to fix, but my cases are still V5. When I try to save, it asks me to convert to V6. Now, I remember way back when, I deliberately held off on doing that because it would break a lot of V5 stuff, or something.

Does that still happen? If so -- what breaks, and is there a way to save it as V5 still with the changes?

Thanks everyone. :)
The wolf knows what the ill heart thinks.
@mAcChaos

BEHOLD, the ULTIMATE CASE: MACFIA, an epic journey through time and space.
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Re: Converting from V5 to V6

Post by Enthalpy »

You can access v5 from http://www.aaonline.fr/Legacy_V5/.

There shouldn't be any bugs in v6, but I can't promise that with 100% accuracy. My recommendation is that you fix the bugs in the v5 editor so it plays fine there, play it in v6, and then report back here with how that went. If it plays fine in v6, convert it. If not, I'll try to get the conversion issues fixed.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
mAc Chaos
Spoken languages: English

Post by mAc Chaos »

Hmmm, something is wrong for me when I try it. I just get a 404. What if I want to redirect my old trial to use V5? What would the URL be like?

I get an HTTP Error 500 when I click that link, for the record.
The wolf knows what the ill heart thinks.
@mAcChaos

BEHOLD, the ULTIMATE CASE: MACFIA, an epic journey through time and space.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

Ah, yes, it seems V5 is broken since the big system and forum upgrade last october. :-P

For what it's worth, V5 was written in 2009 in php5, and integrated with forums running phpBB 3.0.
That's... very old.
And V6 was officially launched in 2015, which is already quite old as well... At the time, I kept V5 around temporarily, as a "nice to have" for people who didn't like the V6 interface, but I didn't intend on maintaining it.

Since last october, I moved AAO to a more modern infastructure based on php7, and using the latest phpBB 3.3 (which, as the version number does not exactly show, is actually a really big upgrade from 3.0).
That big jump in technologies caused some non-backwards compatibility issues, which I fixed for AAOv6, but I guess I just forgot to test V5 after the forum upgrade and nobody bothered since.

All this to say : if I find some time and if it's easy to fix, V5 may come back, but it's definitely not a priority. It's 12 years old, and outdated by 6 years, so... :-P

Your best bet is testing the game in the V6 player, see if it plays fine, and if it does you can convert it.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )