How much blood/gore/violence is allowed? What is too much?

Learn how to use AAO by reading tutorials, and seek help from the AAO community.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

AbsurdAttorney
Spoken languages: English

How much blood/gore/violence is allowed? What is too much?

Post by AbsurdAttorney »

I tried looking for this question on the forums but couldn’t find it. Hopefully I wasn’t neglecting to look hard enough.

On the case rules, it says that cases must be suitable for children, however, ace attorney and a lot of fancases have an aspect of blood and gore to their content. Blood pools, blood stains, blood soaked weapons, Godot bleeding from his face, Terry Fawles bleeding from his mouth.

When does violence reach an unacceptable level? I had a few ideas for some animations in my case but I don’t want to cross the line and make it “too much”.

For example, what if there were a person who stepped on a landmine and I wanted to animate his leg getting blown off? Are showing limbs getting severed okay?

What if it’s a monster or zombie? Does that make it any more acceptable? Or like an alien with blue blood.

If none of that is allowed, how about action sequences where people get zapped to death? Like with a ray gun?

Just wondering because I don’t want to break the rules but I have ideas for stories with intense action scenes.
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Re: How much blood/gore/violence is allowed? What is too muc

Post by Enthalpy »

The standard of the canon games is always allowed within AAO content rules. You mention T&T in this regard, but Dual Destinies has much more graphic bloodstains, and in more disturbing contexts. At least Godot and Terry were adults. I should also mention that while the canon games aren't shy about showing blood, they don't show much gore: things like mutilated bodies, or wounds with near anatomical detail.

There aren't detailed, legalistic guidelines as to what is allowed and what is not. What I'll say as a rule of thumb is that the level of detail is much more important than the concept, in the cases you're describing. For example, this would be perfectly fine (warning: RWBY Volume 3 spoilers, bad pop music edited in), but I wouldn't go far beyond that.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson