advice for my first asinine style case creation (and first case overall).

Learn how to use AAO by reading tutorials, and seek help from the AAO community.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

theimortal1974
Spoken languages: English

advice for my first asinine style case creation (and first case overall).

Post by theimortal1974 »

okay i came up with an idea for an asinine attorney like short involving phoenix finding out something shocking and racing to the courthouse to stop it. from there he has to prove someone isn't who they are to save a family member. so basically mostly just an opening cutscene leading to a cross examination that lasts until it's over. i also want to do a bad ending type for if you fail instead of the standard one. i am looking for advice on how to do the court part. i storyboarded the intro. like i said i'm completely new to this and didn't even know this existed until this morning.

btw LOVE your site and the amazing amount of good fan generated cases.

edit: thanks to enthalpy on advice on making the subject more specific.
Last edited by theimortal1974 on Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
theimortal1974

Re: advice and help for something a tiny ambitious and completely new to this

Post by theimortal1974 »

also is there a way to break up the text input (aka starts a new window in game) without having to add another storyboard which means picking the picture and the music AGAIN. like how can i storyboard long stretches of speech without having like 10 text boxes, each one adding the same picture music and other things. although the entire case will only have 3 locations (home base, the court and the defendant lounge).
SuperAj3
Spoken languages: English, 日本語(少しだけ)

Post by SuperAj3 »

Hi! Cool idea!

I think to get you started, have a look at the Tutorial and v6 Tutorial sections on the site. They've got some good explanations for how to input certain things.
Links here:
viewforum.php?f=50
viewforum.php?f=61

For cross examinations, you can insert a cross examination block, and the sub-headings within it should help guide you as to what needs to be inputted.

As for your desire to have long sets of text without breaking it up into textboxes, you can do this at risk of going over AA's usual 3-line per box limit. It just looks neater to spread things over multiple frames. The editor will also remember the last background and character added to your scene, so you don't need to always add those to every frame unless they're changing. It's worth noting it does NOT remember popups, so you need to add those in manually.
ImageImageImageImage
Avatar from the TSub website :april:
theimortal1974

Post by theimortal1974 »

oh i didn't realize because it doesn't show the picture in future storyboards. that makes sense since the music keeps playing until you change it. the background being the same fits.
theimortal1974

Post by theimortal1974 »

okay a couple of questions. why are there so many court room places missing? there's no phoenix/apollo at the defense bench (just his co-council). no prosecutor side for either the prosecutor or the the second character with them. i've had to resort to putting phoenix in the witness bench which looks weird since he isn't facing forward. otherwise i love this system. i learn as i go. for extra clarity i'm putting the pictures of the missing sections in this post. Image Image finally is there a way to do this in this game engine aka have mini versions of the character sitting at their positions in the pulled away picture of the court. Image i've tried to add characters to that picture but it just makes them huge and centered in the picture.
SuperAj3

Post by SuperAj3 »

Most of the courtroom assets are in the backgrounds under "Pre-defined places".
Hover over the frame preview, click on the "Place" dropdown box, and then open up "Pre-defined places".

EDIT: Also for minis, you'll need to make an image of the minis in position, and add that as a popup. Sort of like this:
Minis aren't in the editor, unfortunately.
ImageImageImageImage
theimortal1974

Post by theimortal1974 »

i looked in pre-made. there's nothing for the prosecution which doesn't make any sense and nothing for phoenix to stand at just his co-council. is there something wrong? when someone has the prosecutor talk where did they have them stand? there's literally nothing from that side of the court.
SuperAj3

Post by SuperAj3 »

theimortal1974 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:44 am i looked in pre-made. there's nothing for the prosecution which doesn't make any sense and nothing for phoenix to stand at just his co-council. is there something wrong? when someone has the prosecutor talk where did they have them stand? there's literally nothing from that side of the court.
The full courtroom including the defence bench, witness stand, prosecution bench and the scrolling transitions are all in one image. Selecting the full court, then selecting the position to be "left aligned" will scroll the image to the defence bench. Scrolling to "right aligned" will set it to prosecutor's bench. It's set up this way so you can set all people in the court into one frame, and add scrolling transitions.
ImageImageImageImage
theimortal1974

Post by theimortal1974 »

okay full court still didn't help. i figured it out though. i always wondered why that one thing is called benchs plural but only has the witness/defendant bench. i figured out doing left alligned did the defense bench and right aligned did the prosecutor bench. then i just similarly alligned phoenix so he'll appear.

now i've hit a complete brick wall when it comes to cross examination specifically how to code pressing and contradictions. i have them set to the correct story frame but when i playtest it does go to the correct response but then it just "freezes" up on the fast forward icon rather than move on. i looked at the post about cross examinations and it doesn't really help. it would be more helpful if i saw it in action on a video.

final question is it possible to do a black screen with the end or end on the bottom right corner (aka how it is in the official games) at the end of a case. i don't care about to be continued because i'm not going to do complicated multi part stories. i'm not that good of a writer. i'd rather stick to simple asinine/comedy style cases.

thanks for all of your quick and invaluable help so far.
theimortal1974

Post by theimortal1974 »

still working on this but i did complete a simpler but hilarious comedy one. it's in your trials under [c] phoenix wright asinine easy mode.
SuperAj3

Post by SuperAj3 »

Nice work for completing a case!

One little tip for learning how to make cases is you can view any case in editor mode, even if you didn't make it (you just can't save, of course). Just change that numeric value in the URL of the editor to another case's and see how they put it together. Might help you better see how things are coded, and then play the case to see it in action.
ImageImageImageImage
theimortal1974

Post by theimortal1974 »

you didn't answer my question about is it possible to do a black screen with the end or end on the bottom right corner like in the official games.
SuperAj3

Post by SuperAj3 »

theimortal1974 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:07 am you didn't answer my question about is it possible to do a black screen with the end or end on the bottom right corner like in the official games.
You can create an image of that, and set it to fade in.
ImageImageImageImage
theimortal1974

Post by theimortal1974 »

that's what i thought but i wanted to make sure there wasn't something official
theimortal1974

Post by theimortal1974 »

i haven't worked on this in awhile but i still want to do this. i have everything done up to the part where the testimony and cross-exam happens. aka i did the easy part. this will be the hardest thing i've done so far but the first two i've done (easy mode and objection funk interactive) really has honed my skills on the programming side that will really help with this one.