SK's Art Thread

Showcase your artistic creations, whether that be sprites, music, drawings or literature, and whether they be related to the Ace Attorney universe or not.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Mr. Onizuka
Spoken languages: English, Español

Re: SK's Art Thread

Post by Mr. Onizuka »

As I already said on the other forum: amazing work! Her animations are so fluid, it's a joy just to watch them
Gizmological
Spoken languages: English

Post by Gizmological »

I've been thinking about making a case that would involve those freakin' amazing Athena sprites. Just so I'm absolutely sure, all I need to do is credit you (and everyone else involved in making those sprites) and notify you when the game is released to get permission, right?

If not, please let me know what else is needed. I just wanted to make sure so that I don't end up making anyone mad.
mercurialSK

Post by mercurialSK »

@Onizuka
Thanks :) I don't think I'm going to do any more Athenas after that though...too many XD

@Giz
Pretty much XD The Athena sprites are kinda spread across a bunch of people's work so sorry about that but yeah that's generally it.
Backlog: v6 Perceive generator, Apollo, everything else (My thread)
Someday, on AAO™: Chris Tenson: Ace Attorney & A Turnabout Called Justice (pt 2)
Mr. Onizuka

Post by Mr. Onizuka »

@SK

I hear ya. I'm involved in a RL project that has taken me way too long. So I know the feeling lol. Just sprite what you want: your art always amazes me.
Kroki
Admin
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español, 日本語

Post by Kroki »

Constance and the last bunch of Athena sprites have incredible lines, I am really interested in the way you made these.
Do you digital-draw the outline and then paint the color? In that case mind sharing your pen options?
Real neat stuff.
ImageImage Image Image Image
mercurialSK

Post by mercurialSK »

Kroki wrote:Constance and the last bunch of Athena sprites have incredible lines, I am really interested in the way you made these.
Do you digital-draw the outline and then paint the color? In that case mind sharing your pen options?
Real neat stuff.
Hey thanks XD

For the current workflow I use a brush I made a while ago which I think is the normal Photoshop Hard Round on 100% hardness/opacity/flow, nothing selected. The size is 4px. The sprite is drawn like 2x large and yeah I do the outline first and then colour. Constance's one I didn't colour in the outlines and just left them black but I lowered the opacity a bit...there's a lot of resizing magic I guess you could say XD Here's the thing it's resized from ish.
Someday, on AAO™: Chris Tenson: Ace Attorney & A Turnabout Called Justice (pt 2)
mercurialSK

Post by mercurialSK »

Spoiler : Stuff :
I've been a bit demotivated/art blocked actually so I wanted to try something fun...

Compare with what I did April last year:
Image Image

Improvement? At least a style shift :sawhit: Not a great comparison since this one was a lot less effort too though...
Mr. Onizuka

Post by Mr. Onizuka »

I think there is an improvement... I mean, it's hard to tell, and I might be wrong, because there is an obvious art style shift here.

What I like about the change (and the reason why I think there is an improvement) is because of the characters' legs. I realize the first one is meant to be skinny, but so is the second one: I like the way the thighs are drawn, despite being skinny, there is a certain "curve" about them (the lines yu used to draw them are not as straight as the ones in the first drawing, which I like for it makes them look more realistic).

On the same note, the new drawing seems to have volume, while the first barely has. Not sure about what is in there that gives off this effect, but the perspective in the new drawing is the greatest impovement, IMO. Good job! BTW, who is her?
mercurialSK

Post by mercurialSK »

Thanks for the feedback :) Volume is a good sign so I guess some of my study is working out,since the other one had a lot more effort put into colours/shading. This one has barely any at all XD

That's Violet Fey's new design so she's a bit less generic twintail tsundere, heh. Only in a suit and being 2kool XD

What are you referring to with the perspective comment? I'm not really following...
Kroki
Admin
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español, 日本語

Post by Kroki »

Thanks for the explanation, I'll experiment some stuff whenever I get back to making some sprites.
This last drawing is nice, although I feel the ponytail is a bit too much lol, the haircut may be cooler without it.
ImageImage Image Image Image
Mr. Onizuka

Post by Mr. Onizuka »

mercurialSK wrote: What are you referring to with the perspective comment? I'm not really following...
Oh, I tried to use a synonym for volume, but I ended up using a false cognate word hahaha.

Maybe I should rephrase it as: "but I think the depth in the new drawing is the greatest improvement"
mercurialSK

Post by mercurialSK »

Spoiler : Rendering test :

Lots of studies since this from last year, but so many studies still to do...
@Kroki
Maybe XD I like drawing ponytails though so it's staying for now XD
mercurialSK

Post by mercurialSK »

"last post september 24 2015"

Well ok.

A new sprite "Velvet Valentine" won first place in C-R's OC contest sprite division somehow.

Image <- Velvet
Spoiler : Other demo :
Image Image Image
I can make fixes and do case-usable versions if they're requested or something like that, he's probably the last generally usable sprite in a while. Gonna focus on commissions and fangame things.

There's been progress on the Perceive generator. I can almost start posting screencaps now. Then there's like two sprite sets to make and stuff until drvonkitty and I can release part 1 of our case from 98321749 years ago. Framing on part 2 is happening. It took 98321749 years for my spriting speed and quality ratio to go up (I did Velvet's stuff in like...3 days) but it's still got places to go...Everything's still all happening really slowly. It's happening though XD
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

I was wondering what happened to ATCJ. Good luck with that! The perceive engine you wrote up was... not a simple one.

As for Velvet, I like the overall design, though I'm curious how that rabbit(?) is able to move.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Reecer6
Spoken languages: English and, for the most part, Spanish

Post by Reecer6 »

The rabbit is made out of the same high quality fabric that Moe's hat is made of.

Also, yeah, that sprite is pretty amazing! Good job winning first place! I think I voted for it in first place too.
~~~Image~~~
I have a tumblr, check it out!
The Fury Wraith wrote:''Now I'm SERIOUS!''

Desmyrr grabs his LEMON!