SK's Art Thread

Showcase your artistic creations, whether that be sprites, music, drawings or literature, and whether they be related to the Ace Attorney universe or not.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

mercurialSK
Spoken languages: English

SK's Art Thread

Post by mercurialSK »

Hi, I'm SK :)

I'm not around that much now. But drvonkitty and I are planning on finishing ATCJ, it's happening XD

Sorry, I don't take requests, only commissions.

Sprites:
Standard use conditions (UPDATE for 2018) wrote:- Hotlinking is preferred.
- Using, editing, and redistribution is allowed for non-commercial purposes.
- The permission list doesn't matter...It's getting hard to look after...Ignore all the sets before 2018 that say they do (The lists should be dated).
- Credit please.
- Send me a link to what you make? :D
Standard use conditions apply for all sprites in this section, except where specified.
Brackets go (still sprites + startup or animated + miscellaneous).

Public works in progress:
Spoiler : Spriteset: -ATCJ- Franziska von Karma (27) (4 + ?) :
Album: here
Previews:
ImageImage

From A Turnabout Called Justice, a fangame drvonkitty and I are working on.
Spoiler : Spriteset: Velvet Valentine -OC- (3/3? + 1/1? + 2/2 & Case Art) :
Previews:
ImageImage

Entry for C-R's OC Contest 2015 sprite division, won first place. He's fun to sprite and I want to do some co-counsel stuff later XD
Spoiler : Spriteset: AA4-style Apollo Justice Co-Counsel - V2 (3/6 + 0/0 + 0/1) :
Preview gifs:
ImageImage

...Almost AA4-style, anyway. Maybe there'll be a v3 in the far future.

Poses are based on flipped (not mirrored) Dual Destinies sprites, and mouth movements referenced off Let's Plays. Sort of, anyway.
Retired/unmaintained:
Spoiler : Spriteset: Young Franziska von Karma (4 + 0 + 0) :
Other poses:
ImageImageImage

This was requested by TheDoctor about a year ago, lol. I'd like to get this finished so I can move onto bigger things guilt-free. over two years ago uh yeah...yeah :sawhit:
Spoiler : Spriteset: Athena Cykes Extra Set (MBr) (7 + 4 + 0) :
Previews:
Image Image Image Image

Set commissioned by MBr for their RP blog http://supercykes.tumblr.com/
Spoiler : Spriteset: Athena Cykes Front Extended + Co-Counsel (15 + 1 + 4) :
Preview gifs:
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

This is a set to extend Rajin's existing Athena Cykes sprites (also included in the album as the original exports by ApolloGrimoire were not correctly aligned). The breakdown is currently (5 + 1) Front and (10 + 0 + 4) Co-Counsel.

These were originally a rush-job for AAO's Bright Age comp. Can't believe I've been doing this for over a year...
Spoiler : Spriteset: "Ranger Justice" (11 + 4 + 2) :
Entry for AAO's Bright Age of the Law Spriting Competition, received 2nd place.

Preview gifs:
Image Image Image

This set's conditions are slightly different in that fangames on AAO are exempt from mandatory crediting, because this set has been added to the AAO editor.
Spoiler : Spriteset: Prosecutor Justice (12 + 4 + 3) :
Entry for C-R's 2013-2014 Sprite Cup, received 2nd place.

Preview gifs:
Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Concept wrote:This is an AU based on one of the Bad Ends from Dual Destinies, where Apollo quits the Wright Anything Agency and doesn't smile again. An obviously false confession where the prosecution did nothing to pursue the truth is not unfamiliar, but when it's in a case that's extremely personal, a lack of answers drives Apollo to disappear.

Five years later, he returns as Prosecutor Justice. He chooses to wear his badge and a tie that resembles his most valuable memento to avoid damaging the real thing; every time he sees his reflection, he's reminded of his failure and his resolution.
"In our legal system, the prosecution holds the power. I'll use it... to close every case the way they should be closed!"
My first sprite set and real entry into Ace Attorney spriting.

I learnt so much from making this set, remake after remake and palette after palette. I'm glad I managed to document it so I can reflect on my progress in the future.
Spoiler : Single sprites :
"Hahaha...Athena, you realise ninjas aren't real." (for Kurain-themed comp)

A quick Constance Courte test.

"Neil" A random sprite for this assistant-themed comp. He's an antiquarian that likes collecting pewter spoons and has a generally everywhere fashion sense. He doesn't have a special lawyer sidekick cheating ability(TM) but the judge likes him (they're bald friends) and sometimes he persuades the judge to lighten penalties XD

For the Secret Agent Man comp. It's just a draw-over so I tried off-setting the laziness by adding at least half an arm. XD
Miscellaneous:
Spoiler : Usable stuff :
No need to request permission, credit would be nice (mandatory where specified), show me what you come up with. :)

My sprites are also free to edit as well (unless specified).

A bunch of prosecutor's badges: Image

Blackquill's surcoat (for lx1.ica here) Image Credit mandatory.
(Because I was procrastinating on things, I also added Apollo's head to it and made a progress gif too...)
Spoiler : Old Stuff :
Canon:

Dragonslayer Blackquill, saving princesses since 2020. 30 colours, thanks to Rajin for the inspiration. Comes with flavour text.

Once upon a time, Aura Blackquill smiled.

Happy Friday the 13th! 13/12/13
There's not another one until June 2014.

Original:

A hypothetical(wishful thinking) GS6 "first case/last case boss", Reagent Heilbronn. Senior criminalist to Ema (who finally becomes a forensics scientist, more wishful thinking) and pretty much guilty for tampering with the evidence testing process ... because everybody in the games takes forensics to be 100% correct all the time. (32 colours.)
Please ask before using or editing.

Co-counsel base for ApolloGrimoire. Cannot use, but free to edit.

Crossover:
These crossover sprites are drawn in a hybrid of the Ace Attorney style and the original source.

Black★Rock Shooter from Black★Rock Shooter. Didn't get around to adding the flame.

Image Image | Sheet
Cecil Sudo from Wizard Barristers. I didn't end up liking the show.

Fangame things:

Nothing in this section is free to use, edit, or redistribute without first asking for permission.
Spoiler : Commission: Ropfa -- A Super Effective Turnabout (Pokémon crossover, PyWright) :
Fangame thread: http://www.forums.court-records.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=29686

I was asked to create a set of five animated sprites for a spoiler character. Get the game and play it if you want to see all five animations yourself :)

Here is a teaser.

All non-commercial rights to this set have been given to Ropfa, so please direct any enquiries to him.
Spoiler : Commission: Ropfa -- Conflict of Interest (PyWright) :
Fangame thread: http://forums.court-records.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=20194

That character's set and a bunch of Perceive graphics.
Spoiler : Collaboration: drvonkitty -- Chris Tenson: Ace Attorney (pre-AJ original series, AAO) :
Art:
Chris Tenson:
- Official Art

Violet Fey:
- Official Art
- Prototype sprite

Lionel Taylor:
- Official Art
- Sprites:
Image Image
Spoiler : Collaboration: drvonkitty -- A Turnabout Called Justice (post-DD single case, AAO) :
Part 1 now out!
Entry for the Bright Age of the Law Competition at AAO.

Fangame thread: http://aceattorney.sparklin.org/forum/v ... 15&t=10852

Features:
Contains fully-functional Mood Matrix, Mood Matrix - Overload, Perceive and a new game mechanic to perceive, pinpoint and press for the truth: Cross-Examination with Widget 2.0.

Development screenshot:

Art:

Rendering is hard.

Most recent:
Spoiler : Stuff :

Old(er):
Ollopa/Wapollo XD

SHAFT head tilt creepy Athena.

Old(est) things:
Initially a design of a character for the Ancestors and descendants comp but she didn't look related or Ace Attorney enough...

Old Violet Fey.

^ lol
Gifts
Sometimes I do things for people. Usually when I get inspired by them.
Spoiler : Bad Player, Blackrune / Two Sides of the Same Turnabout :
Main thread link: http://aceattorney.sparklin.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9485

Some banners inspired by the Liberty coin that used to be the original banner there.

Thanks for dropping by! :larry:
Last edited by mercurialSK on Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:28 am, edited 38 times in total.
Backlog: v6 Perceive generator, Apollo, everything else (My thread)
Someday, on AAO™: Chris Tenson: Ace Attorney & A Turnabout Called Justice (pt 2)
drvonkitty

Re: SK's Art Thread ("I'm going to stop lurking!" edition)

Post by drvonkitty »

I like it! The Violet "fanart" (is it really fanart since you drew the original character :P) has a really cool style, and I like the colouration of the Athena one. I can't really leave any critiques since I'm not an artist, though, but I like it!

mercurialSK

Re: SK's Art Thread ("I'm going to stop lurking!" edition)

Post by mercurialSK »

Don't worry so much about leaving critiques, heh. Critiques are nice but forcing them isn't very... useful, I guess? Knowing what's liked is just as fine. Any comments are great, really, better than radio silence.

And yeah... I guess I'd say it's fanart, yeah, since she might have my design but she's not my character... :side: Plus, that art's not actually accurate to her design... Admittedly, it's actually really weird drawing her outside of actual art assets because of that. Like I should ask permission or something :/
It's good to know you like it and my "actual" style :) Sometimes my art turns out weird because the AA style is so different, lol.
Someday, on AAO™: Chris Tenson: Ace Attorney & A Turnabout Called Justice (pt 2)
mercurialSK

Re: SK's Art Thread

Post by mercurialSK »

Some update.
Spoiler : Perspective/composition practise I guess :
A character I designed for the Ancestors and Descendants comp a while back that didn't look Ace Attorney enough or resemble Apollo enough (bracelet and outfit aside), but I like her design.

That cat-ear headset/Court Record projector is on its third revision here. It includes 3D evidence view mode because of its two cameras, a decent processor and removable hard disk behind one ear and a battery pack behind the other, so it has general smartphone features like web access/maps/communication/etc as well.
Spoiler : Mecha Phoenix :
I've been re-watching Gundam, so here's a quick and random sketch.

Shining objection? SHINING OBJECTION!
Also if anyone cares I'm actually officially collaborating on Chris Tenson: Ace Attorney now, which shouldn't really be much of a surprise XD
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Damn. I figured you were good from the critiques I'd seen around the forums and you work does not disappoint. I like the style you have going, especially in the Ancestors Comp character one and the Chris Tenson character.
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

mercurialSK wrote:Some update.
Spoiler : Perspective/composition practise I guess :
A character I designed for the Ancestors and Descendants comp a while back that didn't look Ace Attorney enough or resemble Apollo enough (bracelet and outfit aside), but I like her design.

That cat-ear headset/Court Record projector is on its third revision here. It includes 3D evidence view mode because of its two cameras, a decent processor and removable hard disk behind one ear and a battery pack behind the other, so it has general smartphone features like web access/maps/communication/etc as well.
It looks like she is holding her left hand in the air. Maybe it is because of everything falling apart but those stairs are weird as they are smaller on the top of picture while we are looking from above. And if she is climbing up then with her pose she should fall down instead of looking cool ;P
When you are drawing stairs in perspective all lines parallel to the ground converge to a vanishing point set on horizon line and all lines that are at an angle converge to point that is set directly above/below the vanishing point. In three points perspective you have to use third vanishing point to determine how to set a point directly above/below vanishing point.
Last edited by Gamer2002 on Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter
Spoken languages: Yes.

Post by Lind »

Gamer2002 wrote:A character I designed for the Ancestors and Descendants comp a while back that didn't look Ace Attorney enough or resemble Apollo enough (bracelet and outfit aside), but I like her design.
That looks... unsettlingly similar to my Apollo descendant.
lazyplague

Post by lazyplague »

Honestly, it's probably only the colors on the vest that make you think that, SK's descendant has some really obvious differences judging by both pictures.
mercurialSK

Post by mercurialSK »

SS Sleuth wrote:Damn. I figured you were good from the critiques I'd seen around the forums and you work does not disappoint. I like the style you have going, especially in the Ancestors Comp character one and the Chris Tenson character.
Thank you! :D
The style does make it a little difficult to synergy with the official Ace Attorney style, though...
Gamer2002 wrote:It looks like she is holding her left hand in the air. Maybe it is because of everything falling apart but those stairs are weird as they are smaller on the top of picture while we are looking from above. And if she is climbing up then with her pose she should fall down instead of looking cool ;P
When you are drawing stairs in perspective all lines parallel to the ground converge to a vanishing point set on horizon line and all lines that are at an angle converge to point that is set directly above/below the vanishing point. In three points perspective you have to use third vanishing point to determine how to set a point directly above/below vanishing point.
Oops... uh, they're not stairs. Otherwise yeah, what you said. It was more for drawing her in perspective, I guess... truthfully, the background is eyeballed lol, though I did draw the segmentation for her proportions. :sawhit:

I guess she could have been posed better, yeah, but there's not a lot that can be done with the screen in the way and one arm is raised and bent already. Her hand is posed like that because she's in the middle of using the headset. I could move the elbow back and bend the arm inwards some more but the main reason I had for raising it was to highlight the bracelet. Unless you have any suggestions?
Lind wrote:That looks... unsettlingly similar to my Apollo descendant.
...Oh. Wow. Hm. I can see how you'd think that.
I agree with Dave, but I don't plan to use her design again in the future if that helps. I never liked this style of uncanny family resemblance honestly.
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter
Spoken languages: Yes.

Post by Lind »

mercurialSK wrote:
Lind wrote:That looks... unsettlingly similar to my Apollo descendant.
...Oh. Wow. Hm. I can see how you'd think that.
I agree with Dave, but I don't plan to use her design again in the future if that helps. I never liked this style of uncanny family resemblance honestly.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling plagiarism or anything. I just think it's a weird coincidence.
mercurialSK

Post by mercurialSK »

I guess we both had the same thought in regards to switching the colour of the tie and the vest, huh. XD It's sort of difficult to come up with an opposite-gender uncanny resemblance without making them look like a carbon copy of the original but gender-swapped.
mercurialSK

Post by mercurialSK »

Finally got around to doing more work on the Apollo co-counsel set after taking a break because I was stuck on the second pose. I think this is version 4? Hm. Cleaned up the older poses to look more like him too, so the entire set is on v2. Wrist injury? What wrist injury...
Spoiler : Spriteset: AA4-style Apollo Justice Co-Counsel - V2 (3/6) :
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Also a random drawing made its way into the OP a while ago because I wanted to test things.
Spoiler : :
Amelia. Testing out Photoshop brushes and more practice in RGB colour selection.
Miss Terius
Spoken languages: English, learning Japanese

Post by Miss Terius »

Wow! Your artwork is amazing... I love it! *o*

Those Apollo sprites are superb. Also, Amelia's design is so cute!
Tear
Spoken languages: Français, English

Post by Tear »

Your style, the way you draw faces... I think it's just amazing. Keep up the good work !
mercurialSK

Post by mercurialSK »

Miss Terius wrote:Wow! Your artwork is amazing... I love it! *o*

Those Apollo sprites are superb. Also, Amelia's design is so cute!
Thank you very much! :D
Tear wrote:Your style, the way you draw faces... I think it's just amazing. Keep up the good work !
Thanks! I'm very happy you like it :)

--

I don't have much by way of an update, I've been busy studying for exams and studying Nuri's/the Ace Attorney art style. Have something from the latter I guess.
Spoiler : Justice practice :

Not quite there. Almost.

This rendering method is an interesting way to practice because it forces me to identify the shape of the shading before I start to shade, inspired by animation cels. It's fun.
Anyway, even though my sig says pose 4 is done for the counsel sprites, I'm extremely unhappy with it and I can't pinpoint why. The final version will be released eventually. :/