[TBP] Turnabout of the Elements (Investigation!)

Play fun games in the forums with other members.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Re: [TBP] Turnabout of the Elements (Investigation!)

Post by Enthalpy »

Crowe's theories of ridiculously elaborate frameups never strike Smiles. (Nor could he have answered them, had Crowe asked.) The actual question does, however, and Johnny is not smiling. "How many times are you going to ask me about what happened there? They were arguing on the side of the bridge. Ross was carrying the tablet, and Jackie didn't seem to have anything in her hands except that phone. I didn't check them, so they could have had other things on them. When Jackie did come on to the bridge, I didn't see anything in her hands. Granted, visibility was poor, so even a professional like me couldn't see everything, but that is what I saw. Now let me through, sirs. I have important business to attend to."

Part of that makes sense given what you know Ross was wearing, thank you video cameras, but something else is nagging at you about that story.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
spd12
Spoken languages: English

Post by spd12 »

The threat of Ledger turning into the protagonist subsides, if only briefly, in the wake of initiative being taken by others.

Comically, he arrives last of the crowd. Someone is not paying much attention to JUSTICE! He seems pretty flustered. (Granted, the writer could say 'Ledger is in the middle of existing' and that can be reasonably implied...)

He has problems finding a way past anyone gathered around Smiles to reasonably listen in on what's being said or probed about, though he's likely taller than most of the gathered. He pre-emptively flashes his prosecution badge at anyone that casts him a funny look.

For sake of game flow, he at least heard everything so far. But, let's take a moment to have another laugh at his expense.

"Um, hi Mr. Smiles, it's me, M. T. Ledger, from... court, yesterday. Y-You know. Professional prosecutor."

Are you all laughing? I'll wait until you're done being amused with those last few lines. (I won't hold it against you, I'm having trouble writing this from laughing too.)

Ledger clears his throat, blissfully unaware of the mockery that resounds beyond the reach of his ears. "Oh, um. Actually, I was hoping... we could clear up the timeline, once and for all..."

Is it time to cheer?

"But, since we're, ahhh, we're talking about... something else, so... what's the protocol for checking people at your station, again?"

Okay, now it's time to cringe instead.

He's turning his head over to Connie, but, it doesn't seem like there's any meaning to that. Maybe he's worried about how chipper she is, given the whole thing about where certain key items were found. (Show us a prosecutor who'd be happy with the news!)
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Aha, the million dollar question. Now Smiles is forced to answer it...!

"Checking procedures? I could explain."

No Ledger, bad. Bad, bad, bad! Never give them an excuse to change the topic! They always take it!

"The bridge is a low value security checkpoint, so our inspections are never rigorous. This position has only been created in the last few months, as a measure to protect the Institute from that heinous crime, littering. It's a tough job, but I've done everything that I can to protect this facility." How much junk was there in that moat again? "Of course, we do a cursory inspection as well. We've been on heightened security since the incidents with Euklein, and it's my job to investigate potential suspicious activity, or be on alert if we have reason to suspect some mischief." And this is going to help? "Rest assured, nothing gets through me!"

"As for security procedures..." Does he ever stop talking? "Due to the presence of the inspector, I was sure to be on my best behavior. I always am of course, but I couldn't let her see me being anything less than at the top of my field. I made sure to show extra diligence for the inspector." In other words, he was probably acting far more "official" than even a normal guard would have been for her. "Both of those two, I knew, so I thought more duties were both directed elsewhere. I ensured there was nothing obviously suspicious about them" other, of course, than that entire conversation, "and sent them on their way. I'd have paid them closer attention, but there was no need. I had seem them both around before, it was unlikely employees would be hiding anything - both their bulges aside, and their badges were in order."

Wait, badges? Right, like the visitor's badges you got at the front gate. Basic security, of course.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Ferdielance

Post by Ferdielance »

Spoiler : OOC :
Visitor's badges? Was there an error in the comprehensive search listing, or was there really no badge found on or near Alexandra's body?
Alexandra Kranf (Body)
See autopsy for details. Wearing a lavender button-up shirt, black pants, a thin dark blue jacket, and flats.
Alexandra’s Handbag
Contents scattered around. Contents are: pens (2, purple), tablet-to-table cable, tablet-to-USB extension, checkbook, credit cards, misc. receipts of no relevance, compact mirror with foundation, lipstick, chewing gum, business cards, tissues, map of the Institute, wallet. Wallet contents include: cash, debit cards, driver's license, and two photographs. The photographs appear to be of herself with her immediate family, and then one with just her two siblings. The data transfer cable was found 2-3 yards away from the other items.
Tablet Computer
See tablet evidence for further details.
Crowe's eyebrows shoot up for some reason.
"A slow sort of country!" said the Queen. "Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

My mistake, she should have had that clipped to her shirt! I'll get to fixing it.
Ferdielance

Post by Ferdielance »

The eyebrows settle down, as if Crowe is remembering something he'd forgotten.
"A slow sort of country!" said the Queen. "Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

And, updated!
Meanwhile, Fulbright's own eyes shoot up, towards the attorneys, as if waiting for someone to say something...
Calvinball

Post by Calvinball »

"Let's not get too distracted!" Connie says curtly, and she shoots a quick glance at Ledger - though, really, if anyone's at fault, it's Connie: she hadn't followed up on her own queries quickly enough. To Smiles, she says, "Time to get right to it. The timeline of events is wonky. I know when you said Ross crossed the bridge and talked to Riemowski, but almost everything and everyone besides you suggest and evidence that those events happened about an hour later than you say. So what exactly is going on here, Mr. Professional Johnny Smiles?" At this point, Connie's dropped the veneer of cheer and charm in favor of pure bite.
Spoiler : @Defense :
"Note to self, ask him about 'poor visibility.' Maybe my memory's off, but this feels vaguely new."

Then, to Opal Ita, she adds, "Sorry for not saying much earlier. I was a bit caught up in cutting off Smiles's escape," Connie says. "Using his siblings as accomplices might be what Crowe and Ledger are going for... they could retrieve anything tossed over the side of the moat. I really should've asked them where they were the night of the crime...

"I see what you mean about trading theories - and Crowe's refusing to engage anyway. We can save theory swapping for court, I guess. At least for now. I do think we've really got to get something concrete written down so we can better analyze it, though."

Connie bites her lip as she continues. "As for me and Crowe... I'll try to cool it a little." She laughs a bit, but it's more nervous than anything. "I mean, in positive news I refrained from screaming in his face. I... honestly don't think I would've been able to not do that two days ago." She grimaces, but there's a certain self-deprecating amusement there.

"Surreptitiously asking Fulbright about the 'ace in the hole' is probably as good a plan as any to figure out what it is," Connie says with a shrug. "Whatever's going on, it seemed to surprise Ledger when he first heard it from Crowe, so let's hope that's a good sign for us. And Crowe's tipped his hand about the chloroform rag - I'm pretty sure he thinks it's some kind of frame up involving getting Moebus to touch the rag after the murder took place. But that's a little ridiculous, even by some of my standards in past cases." Connie shakes her head and frowns. "He's going to have to sell it really well, and even then I don't think it's possible. But we'd best at least keep it in mind."

To Simon Lawrence (who is no longer clinging to Detective Fulbright, thanks to Connie's shove), she says, "Thanks for the help in stopping Johnny Smiles from getting away, Mr. Lawrence. And by that I mean I'm assuming you're okay with this because you seem to still be asleep, and on a certain level I don't really care anyway."
Spoiler : OOC@Bad Player :
As stated in the narration, Simon Lawrence is no longer clinging to Fulbright... so Connie will have to remember to bring him along when they leave. It'll probably depend on whether or not I remember myself. Let's cross our fingers! XD
Spoiler : OOC@GM :
Sorry about that sudden burst of inactivity; I don't have any excuse, I'm afraid, besides poor forward planning and scheduling. And I suppose you've heard me say 'I'll try not to let it happen again' or some permutation of that enough times to know what I mean when I reference the fact that I've said variations on that phrase before... again, sorry, and thank you for bearing with me.
The score is still Q to 12. Shirley Homes avatar by my Invisible Friend. They're an awesome artist!
ImageImage

A huge thanks to my Invisible Friend for this AMAZING Shirley Homes art!

Shirley Homes

Connie Harper
A big thanks to gotMLK7 for this Shirley Homes and Connie Harper art. He is an awesome artist!
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Before Connie speaks, there's a vague unease on Fulbright's face. What was that last thing Smiles said?

After Connie speaks, it's Smiles that looks flummoxed. "I don't know what you're talking about, miss. I always do my job" - chocolate much - "perfectly." Is he really going to deny it?! Looks like you'll have to take the offensive here.
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

"... How long are you going to keep me here?" asks Smiles. It's a good question! In theory, as long as it takes until Lawrence moves out of the way. Wonder how long that'll be.

Not very long, seeing as Smiles is trying to push him out of the way now. Somebody should probably do something, seeing as you still don't have an answer to the question.
Calvinball

Post by Calvinball »

This time, to make certain Smiles doesn't go anywhere, Connie grabs the almost-wayward guard by the arm firmly, forcing him to lock eyes with her. "Alright, I'm getting tired of this. Nothing makes sense, and I'm convinced it's 'cause of you," she says. "What do you mean there were bulges and why the heck did you not think anything was suspicious about that?! And before you think we're done, what about that 'poor visibility'? How bad was it? Be specific!"
Spoiler : OOC@GM :
What time of year is it in the TBP?
The score is still Q to 12. Shirley Homes avatar by my Invisible Friend. They're an awesome artist!
ImageImage

A huge thanks to my Invisible Friend for this AMAZING Shirley Homes art!

Shirley Homes

Connie Harper
A big thanks to gotMLK7 for this Shirley Homes and Connie Harper art. He is an awesome artist!
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

"Eep!" Smiles lets loose an undignified yelp as he draws his chocolate to the ground. "Because there wasn't anything suspicious! Ross always had things in his pockets, and Jackie was on maintenance, flower stuff, right?! It's normal for somebody doing that to have tools in their overalls! And visibility... I could see the bridge, but not far beyond that."

And now Smiles is startled enough that you can get somewhere! ...Is that a small tear in his eye? If his whimpering wasn't so overblown, and he wasn't Smiles, this might be sad.

Still... From what you recall on both copies of the footage Jackie was on (Brain Imaging and her leaving), she wasn't wearing overalls then. Maybe she changed when her job switched from tour guide to gardening and the like, and then switched back when she was done? That would make a lot of sense, if her pride in-trial is any indication. But... what does this have to do with anything, anyway?! There's still the big question!

...You're going to need to get Smiles' testimony on the record to account for all these "additions" he's "forgotten," haven't you? Phoenix sure had it easy with Victor Kudo.
Spoiler : OOC @ Calvinball :
Murder occurred on February 22nd, so "today" would be Feb. 25.
spd12

Post by spd12 »

Ledger seems just as flustered as the "professional" over there. "That was our witness. That was our witness. That was our witness." He's pacing back and forth, being the more typical nervous wreck that those gathered are familiar with. His muttering is largely drowned out in the wake of Smiles' blubbering.

"Next... next th-they're going to ask him the obvious questions, aren't they," he grouses, "something... something something like, uh, 'why did you give us the time off by fifty minutes from everyone else,' blah blah, 'why isn't it off by an hour exactly if it's just time zones...?'"

...It's just his luck he says that out loud in a break in the rapid, exciting, back-and-forth arguing that is going on. He stops where he's pacing and looks up, as though expecting those to be confused for actual questions from a defense attorney.

He already looks defeated in advance.
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

With how long it takes for something to be said, Smiles seems to have regained his composure somewhat. "I... I don't know what you're talking about, I'm a professional...!"

OH COME ON! Somebody remind him of the specifics of how you know the issue, and you can put this conversation out of its misery.
spd12

Post by spd12 »

Ledger continues to cower. He shrinks back standing on one foot, he covers his head, he ducks down and peeks up every so often...

Nothing happens?

He stands up and looks instantly relieved. "Oh... whew. For a moment I, um, I thought you were gonna point out... like..."

He rubs the back of his head. "Like... like... how Ross Moebus and Jackie Riebreadski," Oh, come on, when are you going to get this right, "both claim their conversation happened around 7:30 pm that night..."

Ledger continues, unfortunately, "and, and then there's the test result submission timestamp at 7:45 pm local time, which... which I thought you'd all say soemthing such as... 'this gives more weight to their claim over yours,' or... the like, but, they aren't saying that, so..."

"And then I'd be all, 'nope, because of this, or that,'" without saying the 'this, or that,' instead seguing into "but then they'd be all 'but Mr. Smiles reports a time 50 minutes earlier, consistently, such as his 6:40 PM to their 7:30 pm...'"

"...Which is good, I think?" Ledger seems confused. "If they aren't speaking up about that, then... that can't be a problem, then, right... because then the whole thing about claiming to have a watch set to the correct time, and yet having a discrepency of... ten minutes instead of it matching to an hour difference accounting for a mistake from coming back over a different time zone? So... so then I'd probably have had a panic attack, and..."

The suspension of disbelief about how stupid a prosecutor can be grows ever thinner.

"And... I guess... th-they should say, 'it's weird that such a professional grade watch would be off by ten minutes at all from any other measurement recorded, so... so, um, they'd have accused you of maybe not going by a watch, but some other measurement of time you saw since you couldn't produce the watch in question you claimed to have, like... I dunno, a recording of something else with the time on display, maybe...?"

Beat. "I-I'm just guessing what they'd say, but, since they're not saying it, this is all in my head, isn't it. Right..."

He also has forgotten the lesson of at least fifteen or so seconds ago, apparently, and has somehow lost all sense of self-awareness in that he's the only person talking at all.

"...Right?" He grows uneasy again. His head slowly cranes over to Crowe, looking as dejected as usual.

"Sir. Please tell me I... I'm not discrediting my own witness."