[RP] Sea of Thieves - Game Start

Play fun games in the forums with other members.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Sleuth
Spoken languages: English

[RP] Sea of Thieves - Game Start

Post by Sleuth »

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever."
Spoiler : CURRENT MAP :
Sea of Thieves is a pirate/fantasy themed RP revolving around exploration, interaction, and character writing.
In this RP, each player controls a team of 4 characters, members of a crew, as they embark on epic journeys across the sea. It is inspired by the likes of Etrian Odyssey, Adventure Games, and the idea of controlling an entire unit instead of a single character as is the norm. The characters must use their wits, cunning, and whatever items they gather to survive and thrive, while keeping enough gold on hand to keep their ships running.

The goal of the game is to explore the uncharted realms of the sea, make your fortune, and have grand adventures. Each island, oddity, or encounter is an opportunity for adventure, some big and some small, and your 4 character squad will allow you to engage these encounters in multiple ways. GMs will update the adventure as you move along and test your skills. Compete or ally with your fellow pirate squads, improve your ship, and get all the gold you can carry.

Also, if you're wondering, the quote is from Jacques Cousteau.
The World of Sea of Thieves:
Spoiler : :
It's the golden age of Piracy for this world; a world quite similar to our own. The seas are vast and unexplored, and maps are always waiting to be filled. The seas are a dangerous place, filled with monsters, oddities, and mysteries yet to be understood by man. While a floundering Navy struggles in vain to conquer the wild seas, pirates are free to take to the seas and explore, steal, discover, and plunder. Technology is limited, magical curses are still trying to be understood, and sea monsters are frightfully real. The world is full of undiscovered oddities, and on the open sea, anything is possible.

Your story begins on the island of Mermaid’s Purse, in one of three Ports: Mermaid, Seaweed, or Coin. It matters little where your journey begins, as your destination is the only thing that matters. Stock up on supplies, prepare for the coming adventures, and be ready for anything as you set sail onto the Sea of Thieves.
So How Do We Play?
Sailing takes place on the World Map and is governed by stats and random rolls, while Adventuring is free-form RPing without any special mechanics. You can still roleplay on the seas, but this will not affect how battles end. You’ll have to be prepared if you want to stay above water!

Each crew will begin a Port, then head out across the grid. Each post, your ship can move a certain amount of spaces (determined by Speed stat, see below). In charted waters (Light Blue), you simply make a post moving your ship however far you want, then keep moving along until you reach a special space, or you can request a random event, which could be anything from bonus movement to a monster encounter. However, in uncharted territory (Tan), a GM will provide you with a random event. Each of these rolls will be decided by randomizer, and you will be given chances to act (determined by Firepower or Maneuver stats, see below). When these actions have concluded, you may move again.

Whenever a new area is discovered, the map will be updated and a portion of the map will become charted, along with whatever new areas are found. The map will contain hints to push players towards some of the adventures out on the sea.
Ports and Inventory:
You may run into many things on the open seas, but a constant will be Ports, Islands, and Adventure spots. GMs will let you know when you've arrived and give you a brief introductory post, and the player will decide how to proceed from there.

Ports are essential rest stops on your journey, Ports allow players to buy and sell goods, accept Quests, repair their ship for 50 Gold, or upgrade a ship's stat for 1000 Gold. Each Port has different goods for sale, different rates, and some will be overall more helpful than others. Plan your routes carefully, these Ports will be one of your few allies out on the ocean.

- Each Port has a Merchant/Shop, which will sell you things. Merchants are also NPCs that can be spoken to or asked for information. Be sure to talk to your Merchants, kids.
- You can only get one Upgrade per visit to a port, and no, you can't go out, sail two spaces, then come back. Besides if you're rich enough to afford multiple Upgrades you probably can afford to make a longer trip.
- Some Ports will have better prices than others, and some will have terrible prices. Make note of where to go for buying/repairing.
- Both buying and selling is done by simply writing "I buy/sell X" and waiting for a GM to confirm. Keep track of your cash, though, that isn't the GM's job.

Buying items will be important, as you can use these objects in the free-form sections or on the seas. For example, Repair Kits can be bought at every port, and will fix your ship for one point each, allowing you to extend your journeys or save you in a rough spot. You can use bait to find monsters if you're itching for a fight, or try to make a smoke bomb to escape your enemies. Your inventory allows you freedom to try and solve problems and find solutions even in dire situations. If you think quickly and use the right things, you can make it out of any situation.

- Each player is responsible for their own inventory. If you don't keep track, that's on you.
- One-use items like Repair Kits, any kinds of food, matches, etc. do not remain in the Inventory after use.
- The Inventory has no specific limits, but if you hoard a lot of stuff or try to carry more than is believable, we will let you know and make adjustments.
- When you want to take an object not specifically for sale, write "X adds Y to the Inventory", and no GM influence will be needed. Some things cannot be taken and GMs will let you know when that happens.

Every Port has an island home, and on each there are things to do! Adventures can be found on islands with ports, and GMs will let you know when there's more to do than simply fuel up and buy goods. Some islands might just be worth exploring a bit.
On An Adventure!
When Players are off the ship, the game is handled in a free-form RP style between players and GMs, where players take actions based on the situation and GMs give responses. Players are asked to bold actions so GMs can easier notice them, and post their location for each character. During this part, the players will have to work out their own solutions to the puzzles and dangers that come their way, and while there are semi-planned events for each Adventure, there is no surefire way for any event to go, and both players and GMs will likely be improvising and working to move the Adventure along. Adventures can be just as profitable as they are dangerous, and if you play it smart you can get out with a good reward for your troubles.

Adventures can range from straightforward (Goal is clear from the start, focus is more on solving a problem than exploring or finding things), or more open-ended (no specific goal, focus is on exploration and finding cool things). Feel free to try lots of things and let your imagination go wild. Nothing is outright banned, but every move has consequences. While you totally CAN kill that NPC, make sure they won't turn out to be important down the line.

Because these segments will require more effort on the part of the GM, please be patient and aware that Adventure segments will likely be much slower than the Sailing segments. Adventures aren't exactly something characters can easily leave, so please do your best to keep up, as will the GMs. Adventures might be slow or quick, depending, but we can reveal OOC whether there's a lot written or if it is fairly straightforward, if need be. Please don't hesitate to ask GMs for help or to communicate if there are issues!

Note that multiple players can join the same Adventure, either as adversaries or allies. If you want to throw your hat in with another, feel free! Just make sure you trust them to stab monsters and not you.
Danger On The Seas:
Being out in the ocean is a dangerous thing, and you're likely to run into trouble while out there. Monsters or other Pirates will threaten you on the ocean, and if you're unprepared, you might be in real trouble. When you encounter a Monster or Pirate, you can choose to either try to fight or try to run. Combat is a risky prospect on the seas, and is a high-risk, high-reward scenario. When you choose to battle on the seas, the GM will check your Firepower stat, and roll to see if you win the encounter. If you choose to try and flee, the GM will check your Maneuverability stat, and roll to see if you manage to escape. Your chance of escaping is higher, but winning battles yields great rewards. Failure of either roll will result in your ship taking damage. If you're sunk out there, it's game over, so be careful.

The exception to these maritime battles is PvP ship battles. Should they occur, PvP ship battles will be free form RP, using each ship's stats as a general guideline.

- Pirate Encounters: When facing Pirates, you have the third option to pay half your current Gold and leave the encounter. Pirates only want gold and if you have none, the encounter will end. Otherwise, defeating other Pirates nets you 600 Gold, as well as use their ship parts to boost any of your stats by one rank.
- Monster Encounters: Monsters are far more unpredictable than pirates. They may be looking for a fight, hungry for food, or just happened to get in your way. There are many kinds of monsters that are possible to encounter, and each kind reacts differently. Some will be impossible to kill, while for others, your only option is to fight. Due to this, monster encounters will be much rarer, but for those brave or foolish enough to try, buying or using bait will attract monsters to fight.

To learn more about monsters, make sure to consult the Book of Monsters. This handy guide will give you hints on how to deal with monsters, should you encounter them, and what you can expect from each. The guide is free to edit, so you can record your own characters' encounters and details.
Your Ship and Crew:
Alright, now that we got all that wordy stuff out of the way, let's get to the fun part: your ship. Your ship's gonna be real important out there, and you're gonna want to make sure it stays afloat, or your adventures will come to an untimely end. Most important are your ships' Stats, which can be upgraded or downgraded depending on how well you do. Upgrades can be bought if you have enough cash, or as rewards for jobs well done, and downgrades happen when you really mess up and mess with the wrong people/sea beasts, or if you do something bad and the GMs have to punish you.

So what are these Stats? There are four, and each of them covers a different aspect of sailing. Each stat is ranked by letter, (S-A-B-C-D-F) with "S" being the highest and "F" being the lowest.

Firepower: Determines whether or not you win a battle. Fighting on the seas is always a risky prospect, but winning nets you good rewards.
Durability: Determines how many hits your ship can take. If your ship runs out of hits, you will be sunk, so be careful. (Rank S = 6 hits, Rank F = 1 hit.) Remember, you can always fix your boat by keeping Repair Kits on hand.
Speed: Determines how many spaces your ship can move per post. (Rank S = 7 Spaces, Rank F = 2 Spaces)
Maneuverability: Determines whether or not your ship can escape a battle. Maneuverability stats are higher than Firepower, but running gets you less than fighting.

When applying, all stats are set at "C", average. You can downgrade any one stat to boost another, but be warned that Fs on the open seas are asking for trouble. If you're unsure, stick with all Cs.

Next is the Crew. The specialty of this RP is that you are allowed to control an entire group of up to four characters, with the option to add more or remove them at any time. Each character will likely be less fleshed out than an average RP character, but this gives different options, and the challenge of trying to balance multiple characters as you go, and work out different dynamics between them.

There's very little restrictions on the kind of characters or number for this RP, and I don't intend to restrict many characters. But I will set a few ground rules/give a bit of context for character creation:
- Max your ship can take is 8 characters. I doubt anyone will get this high, but let's just set this here just in case someone wants to be "I hire an entire army to my ship".
- Supernatural powers are not banned, but should be used sparingly. It kinda clashes with the adventure element if characters all have cursed amulets that let them become ninja skeleton dragons. Furthermore, while magic and supernatural elements do exist in this world, there are few, if any, people who know how to use them, and very little understanding of them as a whole.
- Non-human races are fine, but they are minorities in this world. Just make sure you specify their abilities, and keep it consistent with the world of the game.
- Technology is generally as it was in the 1700s, but a few anachronisms are fine to have stuff like cameras, record players, or other things that might not have existed at the time. A bit of anachronism is fine, and you can have some steampunk-y designs to boot. Having anachronistic fashion is also fine, so grab your business suit and hipster glasses.
- Try not to go overboard on details; four characters is a good many to manage, and if your apps are a mile long it's going to be a pain for GMs to look through if we need to check something. Brevity is the soul of wit.
A Word From Our Sponsors:
At the time of this writing, I, Sleuth, am the only GM. What I've done is basically make all the flashy graphics, design the map, write the currently 32-page long GM Document detailing pretty much everything that's available to do in this world, and try to make everything function. Credit is also due to Kwando1313 and Enthalpy for, respectively, making the very useful Random Event Generators and for helping edit/critiquing the OP and game mechanics.

However, if I remain the only GM for this game, then responses and the game as a whole is going to be considerably slower, and I don't think anyone really wants that. If you don't feel particularly interested in joining the RP itself, I would greatly appreciate adding a co-GM willing to help with any of the following responsibilities:

Random Generation: The job here is very simple. When players go out into uncharted waters or request an event, you simply use the Generator (made by Kwando) to produce a result, then post the result and the pre-written flavor text. The only follow-up is if a monster/pirate attack occurs, which brings me to the next part: the Generator also features a Stat Check to use when players attempt to perform an action on the ocean. For example, a player gets a random monster encounter, and chooses to run. You simply check the player ship's Maneuverability stat, select it from the generator, and check to see if it passes, then post the result. This will require very little effort on the GM's part, but will really speed things up, and won't keep players waiting on my schedule. This option also allows you to continue playing in the RP, as you can still take part in adventures.

Shop Running: Similar to Random Generation, this also involves mainly posting pre-written material. This job specifically handles non-Adventure scenarios: namely, Shops and Quests. Shops and Quests can be accessed when a player reaches any port, and all one needs to do is post the pre-written Shop/Quest lists for any player that requests them, then verifying completion and posting whatever reward they have received. This is a very low-effort job but would also help out a lot and cut down on reliance on me.

Adventure Running: This one is a bigger task. Adventure Running means that you'll basically be a dungeon master for whatever adventure a character runs into and will work either with or in my stead via posting the pre-written text or by RPing out results, NPCs, etc. Though I have written basic scenarios and outlined each adventure, I can't account for a lot of player action and left a lot of it open with room for improvisation, expansion, or just plain rewriting. This one will involve pretty heavy spoilers since you'll be seeing my plans, secrets, and general outlines of how the adventure can kinda play out, so you can't really take this role while also being a player. If you don't wish to participate in the RP as a player, but are still interested, I definitely could use the help. I'm fully open to reworking or adapting the adventures, if you don't want to just regurgitate my setups blindly.

Please let me know if you'd be willing to help! Together we can make this ship run smoothly. oh god i'm making ship metaphors please help
Rules of Conduct:
Basic RP etiquette applies here; if you're unduly rude or cause problems for other players, the GMs can punish you, and can remove you from the RP. Please don't do that, and be respectful to other players.

Don't take control of NPCs, or create results for yourself in the middle of an Adventure (i.e. "And then the Navy showed up and shot the enemy") and solutions that are pulled out of nowhere won't be accepted by GMs. (i.e. "I quickly dodge every single bullet shot at me", "I reveal a hole in the floor that I dug while nobody was looking") These actions won't be accepted. Try to keep things in the realm of reality. Well. Pirate Sea Monster Mythology Reality. You know what I mean.

The general rule is that most anything goes, but bad choices will lead to consequences.
Are Ya Ready, Kids?
Spoiler : Ship App :

Code: Select all

[b]Ship Name:[/b] (NaruSasu is the only acceptable answer.)
[b]Flag:[/b] (Describe your flag briefly here. It will be your icon on the world map.)
[b]Crew:[/b] (List all the members of your crew here. Max 4)
[b]Gold:[/b] (All players begin with a salary of 300 Gold. Remember to keep track.)
[b]Starting Location:[/b] (Port Mermaid, Coin, or Seaweed. See map.)

[b]Firepower:[/b]
[b]Durability:[/b]
[b]Speed:[/b]
[b]Maneuverability:[/b] 
Spoiler : Character App :

Code: Select all

[b]Name:[/b] (You can call yourself whatever you want.)
[b]Role:[/b] (What do you do on the ship?)
[b]Bio:[/b] (Describe your character, talk as much or as little as you want.)
[b]Possessions:[/b] (Your character gets up to three special items that they bring aboard.)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reserved for Game Info/Player Resources

Players:
Image The Fruit Salad - Trybien
Image The Pirate Ship - NihilisticNinja
Image The HRMS Conqueror - Enigma
Image The Neptune's Doubloon - Spongesonic IN COURT
Image The Ceartus - Reecer6
Image The Duchess Eldritch - Detective Luke Atmey
Image The Shadow Serpent - The Ash Raichu
Image The Drunken Antelope - Kwando1313
Image The Bell of Destiny - Topaz
Image The Chimera's Tongue - ZetaAzuel

co-GMs:
Alnar
Last edited by Sleuth on Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:59 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Trybien

Re: [RP] Sea of Thieves

Post by Trybien »

Spoiler : App/s (Hope I did this right XP) :
Ship
Ship Name: The Fruit Salad
Flag: An apple, strawberry, and pear resting on a Banana with crossbones behind it.
Crew: Baron Nanners, Allie Pplea, Shanty Trawberrs, and Paulie Earlobe
Gold: 300
Starting Location: Coin

Firepower:D
Durability:B
Speed:B
Maneuverability:D

Char 1
Name: Baron Nanners
Role: Captain
Bio: Born as a spoiled brat and soul heir to he Nanners' estate, Baron was use to having everything he ever wanted. While all was going well in his life, his parents where caught in a conspiracy involving the murder of many people. As a 17 year old with his only safety net destroyed, Baron took what remaining gold he could and bought a ship and crew.
Possessions: Double Barreled Pistol, Nanners' Family Ring, Pocket Watch

Char 2
Name: Allie Pplea
Role: Navigator
Bio: Drunkard 36 year old woman with an obsession of compasses and maps. Daughter of a lineage of tavern owners, Allie dreams to travel the world and taste the most exquisite beverages in the sea.
Possessions: Dagger, Compass, Canteen/Flask for alcohol.
Char 3
Name: Shanty Trawberrs
Role: Chef
Bio: 14 year old prodigy chef with an elegant voice. Growing up in the slums with parents who dabbled criminal activity, the only joy Shanty felt was from singing and cooking. She dreams of one day gaining the money to open up her own restraunt/concert hall.
Possessions: Shanty's Cookbook (cook book she jots down recipes in), Shanty's Shanty Book (Book she writes sea shanty's in), slingshot

Char 4
Name: Paulie Earlobe
Role: Quartermaster
Bio: Former expert ear-piercer until he he was falsely accused of killing one of his clients. Now on the run, Paulie will take any job to get away from the main land. With no life to return to, this 57 year-old geezer just wants to live out the rest of his life with excitement and no regrets.
Possessions: Wooden Cane, Double Barreled Shotgun
Winner of the “Broken Commandments” Case Competition
NihilisticNinja
Spoken languages: English, Latin

Post by NihilisticNinja »

Spoiler : App :
Ship Name: The Pirate Ship
Flag: It's a large black flag containing a picture of a smiling sun. There's a skull and crossbones above the sun.
Crew: Yukari Mizuki, Vera Wollken, Tea Organo, Satsuki Sasaki
Starting Location: Port Mermaid

Firepower: B
Durability: C
Speed: C
Maneuverability: D

Name: Yukari Mizuki
Bio: Yukari is a sixteen year old girl. She has a very child-like mentality at times, and is a continual optimist, always believing the best, both when it comes to situations and when it comes to people. She's lived a relatively ordinary life, but seeking adventure, she becomes a pirate, dragging her friend Vera along for the ride.
Possessions: Good Luck Pendant, Shotgun, Binoculars

Name: Vera Wollken
Role: First Mate
Bio: Vera is seventeen years old and has been Yukari's best friend since they were kids. Continually logical and rational (with a snarky side), she attempts to keep Yukari's childishness in check. She tends to be relatively harsh to Yukari, but in the end she's willing to do whatever it takes to help her and make her dreams of being a famous pirate come true. She wants to make friends, but she isn't sure how and thus comes across as extremely aggressive. She lived a relatively normal life until Yukari declared that they were going to become pirates. While she claimed to just be doing it to keep an eye on Yukari, in her heart she is almost as passionate about the idea as her friend is.
Possessions: Shotgun, Good Luck Pendant, Binoculars

Name: Tea Organo
Role: Weapons Chief
Bio: The 19-year old Tea was an aspiring musician, but her lack of skill ended up causing her to be unable to actually make a living playing the violin. Eventually, she was enlisted along with Satsuki, partially strong-armed into the job by Vera and Yukari. She has some skill with weaponry, and thus was assigned the duty of both taking care of them and firing them when necessary. She also acts as an assistant navigator to Satsuki. Like Satsuki, she tends to keep to herself quite a bit (though still more talkative than their navigator), often being extremely aggressive and snarky, especially when interrupted during her violin playing. She does enjoy her job, and tends to get passionate when either talking about weapons or using them.
Possessions: Violin, Binoculars, Maps

Name: Satsuki Sasaki
Bio: The youngest member of the crew at 15 years old, Satsuki was a prodigy navigator from a family of navigators. However, when she was a child her parents both got jobs on Pirate ships, and Satsuki ended up never seeing either of them again. Soon after she poured all her effort into becoming a navigator for hire, but eventually got persuaded/strongarmed by Vera and Yukari to take the job with a very minimal salary. She keeps to herself a good deal, often being very hostile towards Vera or Yukari when they attempt to interact with her. However, as with Vera, this is often due more to not knowing how to interact with people, rather than actual hostility. She has a amicable relationship with Tea, partially due to necessity and partially feeling something of a kinship with her. As with Tea she is incredibly passionate about her job and gets extremely aggressive when her skills as a navigator are questioned.
Possessions: Compass, Maps, Rifle
"With good friends by your side, anything is possible. If you really care for each other, it makes everyone stronger! Then you'll have the will to succeed! The world is filled with painful things, it's sad sometimes, and you won't be able to handle it by yourself. But just know: If there's someone that you love, you'll stay on the right path. And you won't ever give in! As long as you keep that person in your heart, you'll keep getting back up. Understand? That's why a Hero never loses!"
Miki by Hershey's Chocolate Bars.
enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Post by enigma »

Ship Name: HMAS Conqueror
Flag: A red flag with a blue emblem depicting a wreath underneath an eye with two swords crossed behind it.
Crew: Sir Howard Phillips Graves, Mizuchi Kumori, Edogami Omocida, AnimaTrick-[E] Mark 1

Firepower: A
Durability: A
Speed: F
Maneuverability: F

Crew

Name: Sir Howard Phillips Graves
Role: Captain, Admiral
Bio: Sir Howard Phillips Graves was the ancestor to Edgar Graves. He was an esteemed admiral under the Main Governmental Navy. He was known for his intellect and his unpredictable battle strategies. However, due to his eccentricity, his sanity is... questionable.

Unknown to the public, Howard Phillips Graves is actually an Eldritch Demon from an alternate realm to our own. As a young demon, he entered the human realm in order to foster faustian bargains in exchange for human souls. However, having fallen in love with the human who would later become his wife, Shelly Marie Graves, he donned the form of a human as a permanent disguise in order to continue living with her. Time passed, and soon he had a son (Stephen Graves) and had become a top admiral in the Navy. His true form is unknown, and having lived as a human for so long, returning to it would require a ritual and would be permanent (costing him everything he's worked so hard for).

Possessions: An Arcane Book of Majicks [Allows basic magic through the incantation of spells such as short range teleportation between previously prepared rooms on his ship, minor levitation, healing of minor wounds. To be performed, these all require fresh blood and can easily be nullified through the use of pure salt, a spellbinding incantation, silver or holy water. Also has the instructions for the ritual to remove his bodily form.] A Cursed Sword [In all ways, a normal sword. However, those who have been attacked with it will suffer from horrible nightmares unless their spirit is cleansed through magic. Also may inflict fear in creatures that can feel fear, and being stabbed by it makes one feel like they're very ill]. A Golden Telescope.

Name: Mizuchi Kumori
Role: Strategist, Inventor, Lieutenant
Bio: Mizuchi Kumori was the ancestor to Kageno Kumori. A wise scholar in the art of war tactics and a prolific inventor, he has served as honorable advisor to many famous and infamous rulers and generals. As he holds no loyalty to any particular sovereign upon completion of his contracts, he is frequently in demand. Whereas his inventions, creations of war, typically, are seen in all of the best armies forces. To learn and grow in the supreme art of tactics and strategy at sea, he has currently enlisted himself as an honorary lieutenant to the Main Governmental Navy.
Possessions: A Notebook/Unfinished Manuscript of which he writes his plans/strategy in, A book of charts and maps, a flintlock pistol he has designed to be able to fire a variety of bullets with different effects by turning a dial on it's side [holds 10 bullets at a single time.]

Name: Edogami Omocida
Role: Naval Officer/Private
Bio: Edogami Omocida was one of Higami Omocida's ancestors. A journalist turned reluctant naval officer with a nervous disposition, he was forced into the army after being imprisoned on suspicion of traitorous or slanderous writings against the government. While he had initially argued his propositions/theories as being with merit towards the seeking of truth, he eventually caved in to pressure and fear to government agencies. Currently an officer assigned to Sir Howard Phillips Graves.
Possessions: An encyclopedia of seafaring monsters, creatures, factions and more. A typewriter stocked with ink. A personal mop he was assigned for deck swabbing.

Name: AnimaTrick-[E] Mark 1
Role: Weapons, Rank 2 Naval Officer/Private(?)
Bio: The precursor to the modern day robotics such as the later "Animatricky Line[citation needed]". The AnimaTrick (so named as they were intended as a trick on the anima, to create artificial life) were a series of attempts at "motorised golems" by Mizuchi Kumori. Of his 7 initial attempts (A-G), only one succeeded. This was the AnimaTrick designated [E]. For the time, these robots were considered astounding. They were capable of independent thought to some degree, and were equipped with strong offensive capabilities. Each model was set with the ability to launch projectiles long distances, and had two inbuilt high-speed steam based shotguns in their arms. Furthermore, they purely ran on steam power. However, they would frequently get stuck, held many fragile parts/weren't well armoured, required frequent maintenance from their creator, required a clear/clean lens to target accurately and were unable to make turns less than 90 degrees by themselves. On top of that, they required large amounts of water to run. Overall, the future Mark 2 models were far superior.

During the journey of Sir Graves which Kumori participated in, the AnimaTrick-[E] was featured as being onboard.

Possessions: A backpack full of bombs [holds 15 bombs], a toolkit and lens cleaner.
Last edited by enigma on Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spongesonic

Post by Spongesonic »

Ship Name: Neptune's Doubloon
Flag: A Blue Flag with Ocean Waves and a Trident Emblem
Crew: Maria Ansaldi, Antonio Sciacchitano, Madlyn Thorne, Dean Altimari
Starting Location: Port Seaweed

Firepower: A
Durability: C
Speed: D

Meet the Crew

Name: Maria Ansaldi
Role: Cap'n (And she demands you say it like that.)
Bio: A 20 year old red-haired girl. Maria never knew her father, but she had heard about him. She had heard the countless stories of Filippus Ansaldi and the stories of him and his pirate crew - stories of treasure, action, and adventure. It was then that she decided that the pirate's life was for her... well, kinda. The thing about Maria is that she is not yet a fully-fledged pirate. However, that hasn't stopped her from speaking in that ridiculous pirate accent of hers - particularly when she's feeling excited or adventurous. (However, when things get quiet or when she's feeling stressed, she'll normally go back to speaking like a normal person... not that pirates ever talked like that in the first place.)

Maria is not the sharpest tool in the shed, but what she lacks in knowledge, she makes up for with quick thinking and reflexes. She is skilled in the blade and pistol (though, she isn't the best at both), and carries her lucky doubloon, the only memento she has of her father. Also, she cares deeply for her crew and would do anything to help them if they were in danger - which is both her biggest strength and her biggest weakness, as she'll sometimes put herself in dangerous situations just so the crew can make it out unscathed.

...And, her excitable personality can make her a bit annoying at times...
Possessions: Cutlass, Pistol, Lucky Doubloon

Name: Antonio Sciacchitano
Role: First Mate/Navigator
Bio: Antonio is really the only "true" pirate on board the ship. He is 32 years old and is the most untrustworthy person you will ever meet. Back when he was a member of Filippus Ansaldi's crew, he was one of the most respected men on board - that is, until he staged a mutiny 10 years ago, ending Filippus' life. However, under his command, almost all of his crew got wiped out in naval and land skirmishes until he was the only remaining crew member and was captured by the Navy. However, he escaped and got lost out at sea. After being stranded on a dinghy boat for 5 long months, he found himself off the coast of Port Seaweed. It is there that he met the child of his former captain, Maria Ansaldi, and decided to take her under his wing and teach her everything he knew about being a pirate.

Antonio is equipped with a pistol and is also somewhat of a skilled navigator, guiding the crew to their next destination. Antonio is one of the few people in the world whom Maria lets him call her anything but "Cap'n," and she treats him as something like a mentor. However, she does not know about Antonio's previous mutiny plot, and is still not aware that Antonio is still plotting a mutiny against her with Madlyn Throne.
Possessions: Pistol, Compass, Maps

Name: Madlyn Thorne
Role: Chef
Bio: Madlyn Thorne is 28 and has a rather bitter personality. She got stuck working at a bar in Port Coin, where common thugs hung out. It wasn't until Antonio Sciacchitano's crew came to that bar where she was able to hitch a ride and move to Port Seaweed. So, when Antonio found her and told her that Maria Ansaldi was looking for a crew, she figured that she owed him a few debts and decided to come along.

Madlyn is a gifted chef and a master with the spatula. But, don't let her love for the culinary arts fool you - Madlyn can still be a threat when she wants to be. She's good with a cutlass and will cut you down if you don't know what's you're doing. She's also cunning - she can easily trick others into doing what she wants. For example, she's tricked Maria Ansaldi into thinking that she is loyal to her, when really she's been plotting a mutiny with Antonio Sciacchitano.
Possessions: Cutlass, Spatula, Chef's Apron

Name: Dean Altimari
Role: Strategist
Bio: Dean is 19 years old and is Maria Ansaldi's best friend in the world - well, okay, third-best friend in the world. Maria's best friend had no interest in the pirate life, and Maria's second-best friend has parents in the Navy, so Dean was the next best thing. Dean has very little combat skill - in fact, he has virtually none. His strength is his incredible wit and strategy. Anytime the crew of Neptune's Doubloon finds themselves in a bit of a pickle, you can count on Dean to think of a plan to get them out of trouble.

Although Dean's biggest strength is his sharp mind, his lack of combat prowess is obviously his biggest weakness. He constantly relies on others to get him out of tight situations and he is usually the first to surrender to any adversaries should he find himself surrounded. Also, he's a bit of a coward. However, he is loyal to his friends and will usually gain a sudden rush of courage when they are in trouble. (Just don't expect it all the time.)
Possessions: Notebook, Pen, Binoculars
Last edited by Spongesonic on Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Winner of the "Broken Commandments" Case Competition
-------
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥
Love should be genderless.
If you agree, please add this to your signature.

Misc. Information
Steam: spongesonic
Youtube: SpongesonicPictures
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

@Trybien and NN: Consider yourselves accepted. Flags will be added momentarily.

@Enigma: Few notes; There's no "E" rank, so both those stats would go to F. I'd like more specific ammo counts on the Backpack of Bombs and Flintlock Pistol, as well as an explanation for what the Book of Magicks does/is used. Other than that, consider yourself accepted.

And since Enigma's app gives me a good chance to bring this up, more notes have been added to the OP to better detail the character creation process, and I'll reiterate/expand a bit upon them here just in case:

- Inhuman/magical beings are allowed but are mostly minorites/unknown to humanity as a whole. There's of course always the chance that players can try to use powerful inhuman characters to deal easily with otherwise challenging adventures and make it undermine the game a bit, but for the most part I'm willing to trust players to handle themselves. I'll admit that inhuman characters slipped my mind while writing adventures, but I can edit things and be flexible enough to try and make things work. We'll only really have a problem if there's an app with "Serphirath, Angel of the Ninth Realm, who can cleave dragons in half with a single swipe."

- You can app as part of the Navy, which doesn't really change much except pirates won't much like you. To expand upon this a bit, the Navy is generally made up of the combined militaries of various kingdoms, empires, nations, etc. On the topic of royalty, there's plenty of non-specific kingdoms, royal families and whatnot, with some more major powers than others.

- Technology is generally as it was in the 1700s, witch exceptions made for Steampunk style tech and a few anachronisms, like cameras and medical tech beyond "biting a stick and drinking whiskey". Fashion can be completely anachronistic as well if you like.

EDIT: Whoops, missed Sponge. Also good to go.
Reecer6
Spoken languages: English and, for the most part, Spanish

Post by Reecer6 »

Pirates are neat. Here's an app.
Spoiler : if you printed this app and put it in your car would it be a mobile app :
Ship Name: The Ceartus
Flag: I don't need a description when I have art!
Crew: Gayle and Whittaker Thorpe, Duscha Gunnarsen, and Trkopyloff Jr.
Starting Location: Port Coin

Firepower: D
Durability: A
Speed: D
Maneuverability: C

Name: Gayle Thorpe
Role: Captain and cleaning
Bio: Gayle grew up as the classic ambitious type, wanting to receive honor and glory after accomplishing grand things as a person of the high seas. They were obsessed with pirates as a child, not knowing what pirates actually were beyond men who drove around on boats. Though that obsession has obviously lessened, Gayle's outfit and general aesthetic borrows from the pirate literature they've read. Ironically, they've actually got a good sense of justice, and would never steal any gold from anyone as pirates tend to do, or fight unless for self-defense. They try to push these morals onto the rest of their crew as well. Gayle in appearance is rather burly and tall, with a very stylish mullet that goes down about half their torso. They're 32, so perhaps not sprightly as some other neophyte adventurers, but they have only just now saved up enough money for a real ship of their own, and are pretty excited!
Possessions: A stereotypical green stuffed parrot, a fancy-looking walking stick (for decorational purposes), and a journal

Name: Whittaker Thorpe
Role: Navigation and recordkeeping
Bio: Whittaker is Gayle's recently-married husband. Whittaker isn't so much a fan of the glory of adventuring like his spouse is, but he is super interested in examining marine life. The two had known each other since grade school, and had been dating for almost 15 years, but it was only half a year ago they decided to actually get engaged. Whittaker has a more submissive personality, usually letting Gayle do the talking while in conversations (this works because they both have pretty similar opinions on many things). However, he's a mean gambler, and an excessive celebrator even outside gambling.
Possessions: An astrolabe, a camera (but nothing for developing the photos), and a deck of cards

Name: Duscha Gunnarsen
Role: Chief Mate, and treasurer
Bio: Gunnarsen used to be Gayle's manager when they worked at a wide-reaching chain shop across a few of the islands. After a series of pirate attacks, the company who owned the shops had to close shops in more expensive locations, which included the one these two worked at. As they searched for new jobs, they kept in touch, and eventually became good friends. Duscha is an intellectual, but isn't stuck-up as the archetype tends to go - she's actually fairly sociable, and loves to tell others what she's learned. Since Whittaker's fairly independantly inqusitive, the him and her get along swimmingly. Although, if she were to be honest, she might not even be a member of the crew if it weren't for the possibility of getting way more gold than at any previous job, not the exploration and discovery. She's a 38-year-old blonde, who braids her hair.
Possessions: The Collected Works of Renowned Author John Breghdenor, a journal, and a gas lamp

Name: Trkopyloff Jr.
Role: Chef, and a general deckhand
Bio: Trkopyloff, unlike everyone else here, is not human, but a lizardman. He's a regular at the bar Gayle tends to frequent, which is how he knows them. Trkopyloff isn't himself excited about the journey or anything like that - he can only be here because Gayle offered to pay him. He has had a very hard time finding work, likely due to the heavily ignored issue of lizard racism prevalent on this island. Gayle only thought it was right he should get a job doing something, and as he's a great drinking buddy with a number of good tales, they basically had no choice but to bring him along. Trkopyloff, having only a single name also shared by his father (who unfortunately passed two years ago), is 29 and has mauve scales, accented indigo.
Possessions: A decorated axehead (a family heirloom) and a recipe book. No third itme.
~~~Image~~~
I have a tumblr, check it out!
The Fury Wraith wrote:''Now I'm SERIOUS!''

Desmyrr grabs his LEMON!
enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Post by enigma »

Alright, Sleuth. Clarified the stuff you wanted.
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Alright, sweet. Reecer's is also accepted, btw.

I'll also say that if you can do up your own flag that'd be a nice help to me. I think we've got enough to start but I'll hold out for a bit longer, since I know people are still working on apps.

I'm free Sunday, so I can kick it off then.
DLA
Spoken languages: English, Spanish, a bit of French

Post by DLA »

Ship Name: The Duchess Eldritch
Flag: Your average skull and crossbones but with a poofy powdered wig a la Marie Antoinette.
Crew: Margaret Steel, Alphonse Lestrange, The Admiral, Eight O'Spades

Firepower: C
Durability: B

Crew

Name: Margaret Steel
Bio: Image
27 years old. No one's quite sure where this strange girl came from. She sails under orders from "The Baroness", though she never specifies a name or anything. She has a great love of adventure and the seas, and is determined to live the pirate's life to the fullest.
Possessions: Scottish broadsword, flintlock pistol, her pipe.

Name: Alphonse Lestrange
Role: Second-in-Command/Marksman
24 years old. Alphonse was a loyal rifleman for the Navy until he grew unhappy with his pay. He began to do mercenary work, eventually signing with the Duchess Eldritch and becoming a trusted assassin for the shadowy noblewoman the ship sails under. Alphonse has a taste for the finer things in life, wine, jewelry, and clothes, and hopes to make a reasonable fortune while on the ship.
Possessions: Musket, bottle of expensive wine, dagger.

Name: Admiral Wallace Chesterton
Exact age unknown, estimated late 20s-early 30s. This odd gentleman wandered onto the ship one day and nobody really seemed to question it. He's a rather jolly sort, and tends to tell long-winded stories of his adventures, though it is unknown how many are true and how many aren't. He was given the job of navigator due to his knowledge of the seas, but how much of his knowledge is accurate is questionable. Unknown to the rest of the crew, the Admiral is in fact a selkie, and whilst on land he remains a human, he transforms into a walrus when in the water.
Possessions: Book of sea charts, telescope, rapier.

Name: Eight O'Spades
Role: Doctor/Cook?
19 years old. Eight is a member of the wealthy O'Spades family. She's quite a talented surgeon, and, seeking a life of adventure, decided to take a job on a ship. Unfortunately or perhaps fortunately for her, she signed onto the Duchess Eldritch, and rather than as a surgeon, she was hired as a cook, something she's not quite as talented at.
Possessions: Bonesaw, recipe book, pistol.
The Final but not so ending chapter.
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

DLA is accepted. And furthermore, flags are done! Be sure to keep yours handy so you can keep your location.
Spoiler : Flags :
The Ash Raichu

Post by The Ash Raichu »

Spoiler : Apps, yargh: :
Ship Name: Jenny The Shadow Serpent
Flag:Image
Crew: Roland Nolastname, Florse Hemming, Jazmine Diema, Zoie Kaji
Starting Location: Port Coin

Durability: D
Speed: B
Maneuverability: B

Crewmember 1 - Roland Nolastname:
Role: Captain,
Bio: 16 years old. Kind of tall, with indigo hair that kind of looks like fire if you squint in the right light, and bluish-grey eyes. Wears glasses. Cold, calculating, and a bit of a snarker. He was the one who built the boat in the first place, so naturally, he would captain it. Not really much else to say, here.
Possessions: Pistol, Copy of "Pillaging for Dummies," Blister, his parrot. (Someone had to.)

Crewmember 2 - Florse Hemming:
Role: First mate, Chef
Bio: 17 years old. Is actually tall, has tanned skin, long, black hair that's always in a tight ponytail, and dark green eyes. Tends to be very excitable, sunshiney and more a follower than a leader. Was one of Roland's close friends when they were growing up, and he thought he was probably going to need food when he was out sailing.
Possessions: Frying pan, Butcher knife, Barrel of fish.

Crewmember 3 - Jazmine Diema:
Role: Navigator, Weapons Expert
Bio: 20 years old. Has short, brown hair, deep brown eyes, and wears blue-rimmed glasses. Cold, calculating, and practical. Florse was freeloading off of her for a while, so she was kind of dragged into this whole sailing thing against her will. Nonetheless, she's the smartest and most analytical of the group, so she should prove invaluable.
Possessions: Cutlass, Notebook, Pen.

Crewmember 4 - Zoie Kaji:
Role: Lookout, Stowaway
Bio: 13 years old. Has black hair dip-dyed white usually done up in puffy twintails. (Kwando would be proud.) Has large, dull green eyes. Ran away from home to join the sailor life. She ran away to the Shadow Serpent, not that any of the crewmembers know that yet. A bit of an outcast, not helped by her parental issues. Can be sassy most of the time, is prone to fits of anger, but can get excitable like any other kid.
Possessions: None.
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Ship Name: The Drunken Antelope
Flag: Bright red background. A single yellow star is in the middle.
Crew: Linn Suzuki, Yumiko Sakamoto, Hikari Cantona

Firepower: C
Durability: B

Name: Linn Suzuki
Role: Oh Captain, my Captain!
Bio: She's nineteen years old. She's a slightly above average height girl. About... 5' 7" tall. Her hair's pretty short. She's got bangs covering it. It's a bright blonde, with a silver streak above her right eye. A yellow hair ribbon (kind of like the one on Hayate here) is on the silver streak. Her eyes are a pale light blue. She has a small silver stud in her tongue. On the top of her right ear, on she has a small gold loop earring. She's got very fair skin. She has a small glass vial as a pendant for a necklace. Her left arm is covered in tattoos of vines and trees. She also wears a pair of brass knuckles. She has a black spiky bracelet on her left wrist. She wears a plain white t-shirt, and ripped dark blue denim short shorts. (They go about seven inches below her waist. She likes dem short shorts.) She wears black converse sneakers as shoes, with white laces. (Shockingly enough, they're not ripped.)

Linn's a person who... Well who's very passionate about her work. She's also quite an aggressive personality, often interrupting others and trying to get her point across. She's quite rough on the edges, but she's not really that mean. She's pretty sarcastic. And, despite all that, she's not a reclusive person - she likes communicating and interacting with other people. She just has a natural sort of charisma that draws others in. She also has a big sense of adventure, and wants to explore the world, hence her decision to become a pirate.

Linn is a pescaterian, but she much prefers her vegetables over her fish. She is well trained in hand-to-hand combat, but she fights with a relatively unorthodox style.
Possessions: Brass knuckles, a telescope, a collection of seeds (tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, and lots of other vegetables)

Name: Yumiko Sakamoto
Role: Entertainer/Navigator
Bio: She's seventeen years old. She's a pale girl. She’s relatively tall, standing at approximately 5' 7". She dyes her hair turquoise, and wears it in twintails. In her hair, she has a bright pink ribbon on the right side. She has large dark blue coloured eyes. Her lips are thin, her nose is small, and her ears are also quite small. She wears a white button-up blouse, with a plaid pink short skirt, with long white socks and bright red shoes.

Yumiko acts… Pretty bubbly and happy around people. She actively tries to foster relationships with people. She’s not really one to be rude to anyone if need be. She’s quite passive in hostile situations, attempting to appease, rather than provoke. In fact, she tends to make joking remarks in attempts to lighten up situations. She's just overall quite a cheerful person.

She's quite the talented singer and often performed in various bars - in fact, that's how Linn and Yumiko became friends in the first place. As for why she's the navigator? Well, Linn figured that since she always knew how to navigate around town, that she would at least be competent with maps. Which, luckily of Linn, she is. Yumiko can hold herself up in combat quite well, due to some... persistent suitors, but, she prefers to be a support role if need be. As for why she joined Linn? She wanted to go spread her songs across the world.
Possessions: A very anachronistic microphone (which somehow amplifies her voice. Don't ask how.), a set of maps, a compass

Name: Hikari Cantona
Role: Chef/Weapons Expert
Bio: She's the eldest of the group, at twenty three years of age. She's relatively short, standing at about 5' 3". She's got long red hair, which she wears in a single braid. Goes down to the middle of her back. She has dark blue eyes. She has relatively pale skin. Has a distinctive burn mark on her right forearm. She’s not completely flat-chested, but she’s not super… well endowed either. So… Somewhere in the middle? She’s got a silver ring-earing on the top part of her right ear. She tends to dress quite casually. She wears an oversized long-sleeved white shirt, with dark blue denim jeans. She wears a pair of modified black converse shoes – they’re modified to give her an extra two inches in height.

She’s a person who gets fired about a lot of things. She’s pretty easily excitable as well… If it’s something she wants to do. Otherwise, she drags her feet and does it really really slowly. She hates hypocrisy and is one who will do anything to make sure things are done to their fullest. She has quite the temper though, and she gets annoyed rather easily. So, if you do something that makes her angry, she will yell and cuss at you.

She's an absolutely fabulous chef, who is able to make pretty much anything tasty. She also is one of the few chefs that knows how to cook food in a way that even Linn likes to eat it (because Linn is pretty picky about her foods). That being said, she loves to drink, and she usually likes to have a few drinks during the night. She gets pretty rowdy as a result. She, however, is quite knowledgeable about her weapons.

She and Linn originally knew each other when they fought in the streets. However, they grew a mutual respect for each other through their combat, and somehow even became friends. As for why she joined them? Traveling the world and trying all the different foods and boozes? That sounded amazing to her.
Possessions: A set of knives, a large spear, a collection of various types of alcohol (beer, rum, whiskey, sake, and vodka)

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Both are good and have been accepted.

UPDATE: Happy to announce that Alnar has joined the GM team. We also now have a GM Team. Two people is a team right.
Topaz
Spoken languages: English, 日本語

Post by Topaz »

Ship Name: The Bell of Destiny
Flag: Image
Crew: Suzu, Suzuno, Suzushiro, Suzume
Starting Location: Port Seaweed

Durability: D
Speed: B
Maneuverability: B

Name: Suzu
Role: Adventurer / Captain
Bio: A young woman always donned in a gigantic pirate hat, and usual pirate garb. She sails the sea in search of booty (which kind is yet to be established) and is a fun-loving adventurer with a serious case of wanderlust. She has ankle-length purple hair arranged into dreads, each covered in all manner of golden rings and braces. She's a confident, strong, and respectable leader!
Possessions: Cutlass, Hand-Cannon and Absurdly Large Pirate Hat

Name: Suzuno
Role: Adventurer / First Mate
Bio: A more serious, more realistic pirate, Suzuno is the foil to Suzu's over the top gung-ho personality. She shares the same love of adventurer, but is more logical about everything. She has green hair tied up into a bun at the back of her head, and piercing green eyes. She wears the usual pirate garb like Suzu, sans the hat, and with an additional eyepatch that covers her left eye.
Possessions: Cutlass, Hand-Cannon, Rope

Name: Suzushiro
Role: Navigator / Strategist / Record-Keeper
Bio: While Suzu and Suzuno are both charismatic people, Suzushiro is more of an introvert. She's highly intelligent and a master of strategy, but lacks to ability to command a crew to any degree. So she simply passes her thoughts on to Suzu who takes the reigns and tells everyone what to do. She has short but messy white hair that covers her eyes, keeping it a secret as to what colour they are. Mysterious!
Possessions: Compass, Writing Equipment, Journal

Name: Suzume
Role: Weapons Chief / Chef / Muscle
Bio: Suzume is a huge burly man with gigantic muscles. He wears a Japanese female sailor uniform, the skirt far too small for him (but he wears shorts underneath so it's fine). He's a very loud man, and is all about the action. He mans the weapons, making sure every shot causes devastation to the enemy. But deep down, his passion is cooking desserts. That's not all he can make, but he loves desserts the most. He's a lovable oaf, underneath that scary and somewhat creepy exterior.
Possessions: Cute Apron, Moonshine, HIS FISTS!!!